Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was trying to figure out some torturous joke with the “When did Saruman the Wise abandon reason for madness” bit about how immersion in mods almost always means some awful bullshit but I’m tired and feel terrible, so I leave that to you all as a fun exercise to do at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Relyssa posted:

:nws: "White Bellied Argonians" :nws:

click if you want to see some supremely hosed up looking lizard women

(don't click on this)

These are never surprising anymore but they are always supremely confusing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Pretty much. I get that everyone has different things and that’s cool but at some point I lose the plot of how a lot of these are sexy at all.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you boob it, they will cum.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sorry I have to revel in my very occasional cleverness.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Then what the gently caress did I build a top-of-the-line gaming PC for

Gotta render those 4K dick veins

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is Extremely Nerd Brain but the moment they said “We’re going to reimagine Morrowind instead of accurately recreate it” Skywind stopped having a chance to be good. Volunteer mod voice acting alone, never mind the rest.

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64DdkXNB1C4

Everything in this video is just, slightly off? Changed for the sake of it in a lot of places it feels like. The classic kinda off-yellow buildings are kinda off-white, the little privacy screens with the for-the-time really comfy and intricate mahogany bottom half are now a lifeless looking ivory or birch.

It just feels like classic “I/we can do it better” modder brain. And it’s absolutely, unquestionably some level of crotchetiness on my part for them to not change the game I adore but everything in that video just feels perfectly wrong.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

To be fair about the voice acting: that one's a legal quandary. There's some ways to try to tech your way around it by requiring people own the game and use a tool to extract the sound and put it into the mod, but that's not a new speedbump for TC mods like this.

To be less fair, that ebony description stuff made my eyes roll so fast I couldn't finish reading it.

Oh it’s not anything about the legality or anything like that. It’s that Skywind would be the first TC mod ever to crowdsource voice acting and not have the vast majority be absolute garbage. (Maybe slight hyperbole someone might have managed it.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
TES Online has a couple of the more common Khajit types; basically sentient house cats and big Hulkbear cats, also sentient. They’re handled pretty well in it and some of the characters of each type are pretty fun, if a tiny bit vaguely racist.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

how is a cat speaking in a goofy accent racist? They even wear cute hats and occasionally say that other races sometimes try and pet them.

It’s very arguable but I occasionally got kind of a Romani stereotypes vibe from the ESO Elsewyr stuff. I’m probably being oversensitive.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Boris has always been a bit psycho but that’s certainly a series of posts

Orv
May 4, 2011
Most ENB presets make me question if the people making them have eyes and tweaking it manually makes my Bethesda modding ennui be a thousand times heavier so not a big loss

Orv
May 4, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Lol I love whenever one of these psychopaths that have the secret arcane knowledge of how to do whatever gets unseated by someone who isn't insane. With the ENB guy and the Open Cities person both taken down not sure who's left to compete for the cracy crown at least among the ranks of people who make very popular mods. Maybe the Sim Settlements team will turn out to be some kind of Jonestown situation or something

Whatever happened to that one modder who went mad about Minecraft stuff, got chased off to KSP and then also got chased off there for being bananas? I think that’s the same person it’s so hard to keep track of some of these antics.

Was that the wolf meat guy? Or the one that did the stuff that made your game crash if you had certain mods? Oh god help

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 9, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
Eugh

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Feet War

Orv
May 4, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Wait, creasing? Are shoe wrinkles something people care about?

Ah poo poo clear out here come the sneakerheads

Orv
May 4, 2011
People are just weird about feet

Orv
May 4, 2011
God I hate gamers

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fallout verisimilitude discourse is second only to RTWP discourse for things we need to just start taking away people’s keyboards for

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tungsten posted:

bethesda just has really stupid writers

No argument but that was litigated seventeen years ago and people still won’t shut up

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's August!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dust ups to dog whistles is I guess progress?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zesty posted:

These games from 12 and 15 years ago that I've played ad infinitum really need mods to work for me today. Curse Bethesda for experimenting with new things in later games, or not, both of which I'll criticize.

It’s possible for Skyrim to be both great at the time and fun in the moment and extremely shallow with many problems in hindsight. I slapped I wanna say around 120 hours into my first save right when it came out? Had a blast, wandered around as a catman suplexing everyone I could into oblivion. And then every time I try to play it again I get about twenty minutes in and realize that what I enjoyed then was fundamentally not the game as I perceive it now.

We’ve had really, really good melee combat in video games since 2012. Arguably before but certainly after. Skyrim’s sword swinging is actively terrible in the face of that. Its spells are anemic. The writing is, wall to wall, extremely stupid. Not even necessarily bad, just incredibly dumb and so full of both narrative and logical holes that it’s kind of infuriating. 90% of the locations in the game are five skeletons and a draugr and fifteen gold and a sword.

The problem is that while it’s not entirely fair to hold Skyrim to account for games that have come often far after it, Bethesda hasn’t markedly improved on these problems in any of their following works. I haven’t even touched on their constant technical problems, which are a large part of why I am wildly skeptical about Starfield.

Ultimately Bethesda coasts and rereleases Skyrim fifteen times because they’re the only ones in the game. Nobody else makes RPGs like Bethesda and I’m not going to call the devs lazy because the amount of effort and time they put in clearly invalidates that. But I don’t think they’ve sought to improve on anything since Oblivion, not in ways that show anyway.

E: Also the fact that Bethesda straight up said “We have a 1,000 visitable planets in Starfield! Oh but 80% of them will be lifeless, content-less balls of rock” and people are hyped for that number is beyond wild to me.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 17, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
Come to think of it I think that, perceptually anyway, ‘modern’ Bethesda loves creating worlds and then putting a Fine game over the top of them. That seems to be where they run into trouble. They don’t seem to give as much care to how you interact with the environmental story of the skeleton in a chair with a dagger between his ribs and a book in his lap called “Oh poo poo It’s the Dark Brotherhood.”

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 17, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, chosen to be Sean Bean's number two

Look not everybody can die with such grace, sometimes you just gotta let the man work

Orv
May 4, 2011

:psyboom:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Power Word: Show Feet

Orv
May 4, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

There are many pages of this

No I'm sorry, "Self-Reliant Oral Shout" is in fact, a good mod.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Quit putting things in my mouth.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HenryEx posted:

I don't know why this exists but i'm all for it

It’s because rats are great

Also probably this if I had to guess.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wolf Fuckers of London

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not nearly enough finger breaking keybinds, a weak sex mod

Orv
May 4, 2011
Vancian sex prep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The idea is nice but it kind of falls apart the moment something from Cyberpunk world comes on screen.