Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

lampey posted:

Live closest to your work. You are driving there and back 200+ times a year. This is one of the only ways you can buy free time
:agreed:

It's both a money savings(because you're driving less, meaning you're spending less on gas and maintenance) and a mental health savings(people are consistently happier the less they have to commute). Ideally you'd get the closest liveable place to work you can fit in your budget.

Google maps says it's only about an hour from Denver to Fort Collins, and 35-ish minutes from Denver to Boulder. That sort of distance makes much more sense for family visits(which you're presumably not making every day) than daily commutes.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That makes sense, I think. We’ve been trying to budget like that, but I still have to strategize what bills we pay what paycheck and that sort of thing. And it’s harder to think in terms of months when money comes in every two weeks.
Think of your month's income as however many paychecks you're getting that month - 2 most months, 3 a few other months, and don't make the mistake of treating a third monthly paycheck as 100% play money.

Your eventual goal is to have enough of a buffer(as in, it shouldn't get anywhere near zero at any point during the month) in your checking account that you don't have to care when your paycheck comes in, much less strategize what you pay when. Thinking of things in terms of monthly income/spending is useful here, because it helps keep the big picture in mind so you can start building that buffer. Thinking paycheck by paycheck makes most people spend their time fixing whatever problem pops up that instant at the expense of future stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Just go anywhere outside for a half hour walk/hike when you get the chance. Hell, even a leisurely 10 minute walk around the neighborhood is better than nothing. Both getting outside and getting your body moving make your mood improve a lot, even if it's 'only' a short burst of walking.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm gonna plug Budget Bytes for more cheap meal ideas, with a couple caveats:

-Some of stuff can be really starch heavy, because it's a site about cheap recipes and starches are cheap. :v: You can cut back on the rice/pasta/etc relative to the rest of the dish if you care.
-It assumes you'll eat your leftovers. IIRC you've been doing that, but I know that's a stumbling block for some people.
-Don't fear the vegetarian section, especially if you're looking for side dishes.
-I know we're heading out of soup season, but strongly consider the soup section anyway. Every soup recipe of hers I've tried is good as hell.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Kind of mentioned before, but remember moving is an excellent excuse to shed stuff that you don’t and won’t actually use. I mean the little stuff (e.g. older clothes, decorations, books, kitchen utensils etc.), not necessarily furniture.
Seconding this. The fewer knicknacks you have to move, the faster, easier, and cheaper moving will be.

If you're willing to have a box still lurking in a closet or something, leave one with stuff you haven't needed to unpack yet and see what's left in it after 6 months/a year/whatever. Pretty much everything in it is poo poo You Don't Need and can be sold, donated, or thrown out. (Exceptions for things that you justifiably rarely use & would be expensive to replace, like formalwear)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
That quote sounds way more reasonable. The first quote was highway robbery.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just realized that since I have a basement now I could put together a bench, power cage, and weight set as funds permit. It would take a while, but it would be nice to be able to do a full routine at home.
Protip: Be on the lookout for free/cheap workout equipment after next January passes and people realize they're too :effort: to stick to their resolutions.

You probably won't get a full set of equipment that way, but it's better than nothing.

• Locked thread