Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

radmonger posted:

He's the political version of that plan to eliminate mosquitoes by releasing sterile ones that are supposed to fill the relevant ecological niche and then die without issue.

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

He's the political version of that plan to eliminate mosquitoes by releasing sterile ones that are supposed to fill the relevant ecological niche and then die without issue.
Successful and cost effective, especially in areas of low population density, with minimal ecological side effects compared to other methods?

I'd like that to be true, but I'm not sure that it describes Corbyn in the current political/media climate.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
As has been pointed out numerous, numerous times, mainstream parliamentary Labour doesn't really have a viable alternative either.

which is not really surprising in the wake of a very big recession, even if that recession is not, strictly speaking, Westminster's fault

Labour was going to spend a couple of years in the wilderness regardless, and there are worse things to do than spend it on ideological innovation

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's pretty cool to have a party leader that wants to improve the NHS and nationalise the railways. The NHS is probably the best thing about Britain and it was sad when all the major party leaders wanted to either destroy it or not oppose its destruction.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ronya posted:

As has been pointed out numerous, numerous times, mainstream parliamentary Labour doesn't really have a viable alternative either.

which is not really surprising in the wake of a very big recession, even if that recession is not, strictly speaking, Westminster's fault

Labour was going to spend a couple of years in the wilderness regardless, and there are worse things to do than spend it on ideological innovation

The other thing that gets glossed over is that there's failure and then there's failure.

Brown and Miliband underperformed, Brown probably unavoidably and Miliband not because ideologically he was in the wrong place but because he was personally a terrible leader and campaigner. Fine. Claiming that the Labour Right lost 2 elections and therefore there's no difference if the Labour Left loses an election conveniently skips over the fact that there's a big difference between losing an election with 30% of the vote and losing an election with 20% of the vote.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Alchenar posted:

The other thing that gets glossed over is that there's failure and then there's failure.

Brown and Miliband underperformed, Brown probably unavoidably and Miliband not because ideologically he was in the wrong place but because he was personally a terrible leader and campaigner. Fine. Claiming that the Labour Right lost 2 elections and therefore there's no difference if the Labour Left loses an election conveniently skips over the fact that there's a big difference between losing an election with 30% of the vote and losing an election with 20% of the vote.

well, we know that too. Kinnock lost in 1992. He had not moved rightward enough.

but a big part of winning is the metagame of successfully manipulating the Labour left so that the part which publicly attacks you is the part that the British public actually despises, and the rest maneuvered into grudging internalization of electoral logic - that's the source of "credibility".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Who in the PLP is charismatic and racist enough to win over the English public and win the next election?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Practically speaking what is this big difference?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jabby posted:

Practically speaking what is this big difference?

It's the difference between being Labour (29%) and being the Lib Dems (23%)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

hakimashou posted:

ETA Miftan, Tthough I hate to spoil the SA fun for you, some idiot goon from the video games bought me this AV for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with D&D or slavery or racism. Sorry if it lead to confusion, but far be it from me to waste another goon's hard earned :10bux: by changing it back.

I've seen you post in I/P, so I got most it first hand, thanks.

Onto things that are actually interesting: Labour wasn't going to win 2020 regardless of who is in charge, unless it's Theresa May or possibly Thatcher. It's much better for them to get their act together over a couple of years and present an actual alternative in 2025. Yes, another 5 years of tories is gonna gently caress over lots of people, but I don't see an alternative. Maybe #libdemfightback?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

What're the chances of a really cold winter?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ronya posted:

Labour tried ideological innovation, that's how we ended up with Blair. What it needs to do is go back to the party roots.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kustomkarkommando posted:

A lot of articles have gingerly pointed out that rumours that heseltine strangled a dog to death have apparently been swirling around Westminster for years

The first scene of the American Game of Thrones was pretty much this :stonk:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

The first scene of the American Game of Thrones was pretty much this :stonk:

You mean House of Cards? But then Game of Thrones did have a dead, uhh, dog, execution of an innocent man and incest + child murder, so maybe, just maybe, it fits too. I'd like to think we're not quite there yet though :ohdear:

e: dammit spent too long finding a good emoticon

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 1, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

Labour tried ideological innovation, that's how we ended up with Blair. What it needs to do is go back to the party roots.

So you're saying Labour tried idealogical innovation and it ended up in government for 13 years. It's currently going 'back to its roots' and no fucker will vote for it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cerv posted:

It's the difference between being Labour (29%) and being the Lib Dems (23%)

Not really, because Labour's status as the official opposition is essentially secure even if they do suffer a catastrophic defeat. Barring the rise of either the lib dems or a new party to hitherto unknown levels, which seems unlikely, the loss of even a hundred seats would be damaging but would not really change the 'labour vs the tories' narrative of the country.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

ronya posted:

A sentence in the passive voice can often be improved by a suitable rewrite. For example, try:

"Corbyn and his supporters are preventing mainstream Labour from developing a viable alternative."

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

What're the chances of a really cold winter?

Well, they say global warming will eventually disrupt the gulf stream which will turn London into Siberia, so there's a bit of hope in the (not so) long run

Speaking of which, Nat Geo posted their Di Caprio climate change documentary on youtube. Watch it and despair.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Jedit posted:

there's no winding back OMOV, it's why Corbyn has Momentum and not a horde of loyalists controlling key committees

both the Labour right and left are adapting rapidly

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

radmonger posted:

A sentence in the passive voice can often be improved by a suitable rewrite. For example, try:

"Corbyn and his supporters are preventing mainstream Labour from developing a viable alternative."

lmao, no he isn't. The Labour right are in the media enough that if they had a message that resonated with people that would be obvious. They've been trying some variation of "do what the Tories are doing" since 2010 and it doesn't work because there's already a party that appeals to people like that and it's called the Tories. Bonus points to the Progress wing of the party for going from hardcore Europhiles to calling for a hard Brexit and deportations and expecting people to be too stupid to notice.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jabby posted:

Not really, because Labour's status as the official opposition is essentially secure even if they do suffer a catastrophic defeat. Barring the rise of either the lib dems or a new party to hitherto unknown levels, which seems unlikely, the loss of even a hundred seats would be damaging but would not really change the 'labour vs the tories' narrative of the country.
I was thinking more of the size of the parliamentary party. What good is being the official opposition if you haven't enough MPs to fill a shadow cabinet? And on another point you've lost representation on and control of a whole load of committees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

radmonger posted:

I'm not sure the PLP's lack of talent is Corbyn's fault.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure the PLP's lack of talent is Corbyn's fault.

He's hardly setting a high bar though is he. 30 years+ on the back benches and all his supporters can say about him is 'he makes jam'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

He's hardly setting a high bar though is he. 30 years+ on the back benches and all his supporters can say about him is 'he makes jam'.

That is a very silly response and I know you can do better.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He's a very silly leader of the opposition.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

You're boring.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

He's a very silly leader of the opposition.

Name a better one

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

quote:

The Labour party backed her amendment in the Lords, and peers voted for it by 282 to 180.

How do people actually figure this kind of stuff out anyway? I've been digging through parliament.uk's bill stages and part of the hansard for certain bills and it seems like it's almost impossible to figure out when amendments get voted on and when. Vague question I know but is the One Weird Trick I've been missing or is it really just the horrible slog it seems like it is?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

radmonger posted:

how hilariously pathetic

"if we just had a big badge that says Official Leader on it we'd be able to suddenly discover unfound talents". That's your appeal to centrism. There's a reason you're the laughing stock.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

radmonger posted:

Remember when Liz Kendall thought that a million people would sign up to the Labour party to vote for her in the leadership election?

How did that work out, remind me

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

drat that old quiet jam-making politician who only ran for leader because it was his turn out of the tiny old left group of Labour MPs and his incredible ability to destroy the chances and organisational skills of the popular, well known politicians with their well thought out program for the future of the Labour Party and the UK.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

radmonger posted:

"His supporters" being the majority of the party membership.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

radmonger posted:

Man how delusional do you have to be to regard ronya as a wide eyed Corbynite

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

namesake posted:

drat that old quiet jam-making politician who only ran for leader because it was his turn
Isn't that the root of a lot of the problems? He ran because it was his turn, not because he wanted to run or any of the left group of MP actually thought he was a qualified candidate. And no one even on his side expected him to win, or had any serious plan for what to do with the leadership if he did.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

drat that old quiet jam-making politician who only ran for leader because it was his turn out of the tiny old left group of Labour MPs and his incredible ability to destroy the chances and organisational skills of the popular, well known politicians with their well thought out program for the future of the Labour Party and the UK.

It turns out that giving a quiet old man who makes jam a leadership position doesn't work.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cerv posted:

Isn't that the root of a lot of the problems? He ran because it was his turn, not because he wanted to run or any of the left group of MP actually thought he was a qualified candidate. And no one even on his side expected him to win, or had any serious plan for what to do with the leadership if he did.

No, the root of the problem is that the PLP will not allow any other left wing candidate to stand for party leader.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pissflaps posted:

It turns out that giving a quiet old man who makes jam a leadership position doesn't work.

Only if the population is easily misled and wrong on most things.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

So you're saying Labour tried idealogical innovation and it ended up in government for 13 years. It's currently going 'back to its roots' and no fucker will vote for it.

Why do you want Labour to be the party for racists? Are you racist?

Pissflaps posted:

More the pity that you don't recognize the tragedy of this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be real happy if the bulk of the party would up and get behind a solid left platform without thinking of their careers first and foremost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

Only if the population is easily misled and wrong on most things.

Being old and quiet and into jam making aren't enviable qualities.

Maybe there's more to him than this but it's all his supporters in this thread ever say about him.

Old. Quiet. Jam.

• Locked thread