Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

jerkstoresup posted:

I was just listening to Bennington for 40 minutes wondering how Ron got magically better after having the worst on-air sick voice I've ever heard yesterday. I even went to theinterrobang to see the video they were talking about and wondered why the date was wrong.

then I hear "It's the best of Bennington" and feel like a real maroon.

He's out sick? That's once in a blue moon. Hope he feels better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

FarmerHank posted:

thought I posted this here last night but I loving posted it in the CoD thread, no idea how that happened.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMaECCyhqm5/

Call Me Charlie posted:

Have the whole building hate you for harassing Howard Stern, be a giant pain in the rear end by publicly crying about sharing a studio/having no office space, refuse to sign a long term deal....and get a better contract next year?

I'm amazed he's even trying this tactic after this bitchiness ended up with Sirius basically telling him to walk because they had Jim and Sam for the mornings. Opie doesn't get that he's very replaceable right now and probably already out the door.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

onemillionzombies posted:

Shelby get the gently caress out of the studio!

Look at him now

I almost forgot that O&A were the ones who pretty much ruined his time on the radio when he said an honest question that kinda revealed that O&A weren't some massive, giant comedy show.

Good job, ClassicShelb. You are truly the best among us.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Tr33 posted:

Here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsyTT-OI-Lc

EFB but yeah pretty sure that's the one.

Yeah, it was a minor comment that really meant nothing and of course the Boys took it hard and suddenly Shelby was pretty much on his way out. Wasn't this when they started putting him and making him do stuff when he was really just talent?

Pulpdisk posted:

Vito was wearing the pants. I won't spoil whose pants they were. You'll have to tune in on thanksgiving. Here's me Ron and Gail in a totally natural pose.

Ron is slowly turning into Rodney Dangerfield.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stokes posted:

You didn't read the whole sentence you goose. Also this is just my opinion but I don't think 'just fine where he is' = a middle of nowhere station with not even enough bandwidth devoted to it to prevent your voice from sounding robotic half the time.

They're probably giving Ellis a chance before they just move Bennington over, or running out contracts so if Ron wanted to move to fit into the channel he could. To have Jim & Sam and then Bennington would be the best of all worlds.

Oh, and in Jocktober-esque news, remember Blaine and Allyson and how Allyson has been out of work for a few years and was getting by on a lovely podcast? Well, she's got a job in Detroit again:

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/108993/allyson-martinek-joins-wnics-jay-towers-in-the-morning/

And...she's an 'on-air personality' an actual co-host on an established show whose station is the local 24/7 Christmas station. A step up in the saddest way possible.

Edit: mistook 'on-air personality' as 'low rung producer type' when in reality she's a co-host which isn't as bad but still sad in many ways.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

How Much Art posted:

It's awesome, I only subscribed for one month but I can watch live and use all the archives all I want! So when Ron Bennington comes in, I can enjoy.

Fun fact: Anthony and Bill Burr made up and Ant's going to the Patrice benefit this year

And then he'll burn bridges by getting drunk and talking about how great Trump is, and then screaming racial slurs about a little girl when he starts getting booed.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Cromulent posted:

He said that last year.

Let me guess: Ant keeps throwing voicemails to Bill Burr, not a word back, 'he just must be busy.'

How Much Art posted:

Of much more importance: Ron Bennington and Chris "Pepper Hicks" Stanley were on East Side Dave's show tonight and it was wonderful

Okay, now THAT'S something.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sintax posted:

I wonder if Joe has had any good facebook insights lately

"Yeah Trump won, take that lie-berals!"

"Allowance got cut, anybody know how to get on Social Security under disability? WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAD TO PAY IN AT ONE TIME TO QUALIFY??"

"Doing another state fair, gearing up my new band, Don't Stop Bo-Living!"

"*ill-educated racial rant that denies its racist two lines from the rambling end*"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

But Chipper gets his celebratory cakes from TED'S CELEBRATORY CAKE EMPORIUM! HELLO GREGORY, DO YOU NEED A CAKE TO CELEBRATE?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

End of Life Guy posted:

A comic from Oklahoma that I know worked with DL Hughley at Caroline's last weekend, not sure how the gently caress that happened because he lies a lot and I thought he was full of poo poo, but damned if he didn't meet our hero, Jeffrey Gurian:

Remember when Ron finally had enough of Jeffrey and started doing an impersonation of him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttOn7_b_mBE

"Molars? I thought you meant SOLARS."

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

"Agreement" isn't a thing I want in a radio show either, like The Bonfire I usually laugh at because it's funny and has hosts that actually care about what they're doing every day rather than being on their phone or thinking about wrestlers abs in between reading the top stories of the day and adding nothing to the conversation.

That said, I want more Bonfire taking on Corey Feldman, because those are GOLD.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ozza posted:

The other day, I listened to the Opie show for the first time in a long time, and he's still doing all the very annoying poo poo he's always done: high-pitched voice, making every single conversation about himself, contributing no jokes, struggling to pronounce things / intentionally mispronouncing things for some reason, tagging every semi-decent comedian's line with "......fawwkin' [comedian's name]". He is truly awful. That he has the gall to insult Jimmy's on-air presence makes him one of the last self-aware human beings in existence.

I'm just guessing that this new radio war bullshit is because Opie feels he's being forgotten and is absolutely right.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

jerkstoresup posted:

I tuned in to see if they mention anything about the Opie situation and I they didn't from what I heard. Was pretty funny if you enjoy Bobo, and who doesn't? What's new is he's working part-time at UPS loading trucks, which actually isn't a bad job. Wakes up at 2:30am though.

The highlight was him talking about Ivanka Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP_uO6fAsko&t=5725s

Doesn't that still provide health insurance? Maybe he can get his dick fixed.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

jerkstoresup posted:

If he's a full-time employee then yea, it's a union job with good benefits. But it sounded like he's part-time.

Not so!

http://www.teamsterscare.com/active-members-2/ups-part-time-benefits/

He gets health insurance on top of a few other things. He even gets behavioral health care as well, which could come in useful for him.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Is Opie about to discover the Streissand effect?

Be funnier if he didn't. He has a mutant power to evade fame and it's hilarious that whenever you think he's going to get famous for something he somehow doesn't. Like the Clinton Campaign using bits from the show for a commercial and Opie having to tweet at them to attempt to gain recognition. Opie deserves a solid beatdown, but to the world at large he's just another loser shockjock that simply isn't recognizable. He's not even on a level of Bob & Tom.

CrashCat posted:

Some of the guys back on the talk radio station back home were reasonable and I remember one of them was downright humble. But this was also going on 10 to 20 years ago, anyone sticking around for dying radio at this point instead of going to a podcast or something has got to be off kilter

Yeah, radio is an interesting example of how a very big media outlet has now essentially died and the side effects from that. You have a lot of technical people still doing their work, a lot of on-air talent that has either disappeared, retired, or simply vanished, and a handful of people who simply don't get why they're no longer famous nor popular and can't come to terms with it and keep getting more and more pathetic.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Under the vegetable posted:

It's hysterical and also really sad and strange that Anthony is reaching a larger audience than he has in over a decade by guest-hosting InfoWars (double hilarious considering how him and the boys used to talk about alex jones) and Opie just continues to reduce his audience and become even more irrelevant

Eh, it's two different forms of sad. Opie a pathetic never-was who managed to get a few breaks (XFL, Son of Sam Scandal) that translated into jackshit, and who mistakes his show as being entertainment when it's really a cheap rest stop for cheap promotion.

Ant realized the futility of this on some level but choked when he was trying to make his own way in podcasts. Everything he's done since July 2014 has been one bad move after another, culminating in losing his sideline, rushing into his next gig, self-sabotaging his own attempt at a network, and losing talent left and right due to a lack of vision and management skill. His attempt to break into right-wing media is doomed simply because it's oversaturated with no-names as it is and many of them are true believers that trump (no pun intended) his casual comic persona. Ant could have also been a solid comedian in his own right but his bigotry and drinking have dulled that edge down to jack-loving-poo poo and have destroyed any chances of a solid career. Yeah, he has Ron Bennington and Jimmy over occasionally, but the last three years have really finished what the drinking and racism have started, and getting into fights with the tattered remains of the O&A fanbase have pretty much ended whatever good the show had left.

Not to wail on Ant too much -- Opie is worse comparatively -- but neither of the Boys have come out of 2014 even remotely well. They're just sad old men grasping onto a dying industry who hosed up and now are getting a dose of reality they haven't had in quite a few years.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ozza posted:

Sorry dude your internet crapped out. What did you say?

Well, I said it's two different forms of

RAAAAAAMONE!!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

UncleMonkey posted:

I don't have any real details, I heard this through a friend. But apparently Opie broke into Howard's office and SiriusXM is treating is as legit breaking and entering.

I just read this, and then went over to the O&A reddit to see if there was more, only to confront that apparently Anthony is banging his own niece and that he's excusing it by saying 'brother's girlfriend's daughter' when his brother has been married to this woman for eons.

You know....this is the way it ends, isn't it? Not with a bang, but with insane jealousy and incest. And somehow Jimmy isn't involved in either.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

80s James Hetfield posted:

You realize this is a joke right?

I do now. Holy poo poo.

CrashCat posted:

With Anthony even fiction seems plausible

I didn't even question it, I just took it as fact. Oh man, the edit was pretty solid too.

80s James Hetfield posted:

The O&A reddit is literally worse than Wackbag ever was. Never click on something there and go "Oh, it's legit" unless you've been there long enough to understand the local memes

I'm guessing Opie breaking and entering is a con, too? I'm asking honestly, I have no idea anymore. I feel like that intern Ron hated: what is reality?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

jerkstoresup posted:

I get the feeling Opie knows he won't be offered a better contract or time-slot, so he wants to get fired. He can go on vacation all summer, keep his contracted money, and try to push an angle of O&A were both fired from SiriusXM, but now they're back together!

I don't doubt that, but I doubt his contract doesn't have a loophole for illegal behavior. Especially since O&A's biggest moment was the Sex for Sam deal. Sirius would have to be really stupid not to have a killswitch for terminating a contract if one of their employees broke the law.

I also don't doubt that Opie wouldn't think about that or how it could affect future employment if radio wasn't basically turning into iPods playing Top 40 hits in stations across the nation.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

JFC posted:

Sometimes the O&A subreddit comes through. Has been confirmed: Lady Di has died

Oh please, we all know Marion is going first. Right after Bobo gets hit by a bus.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

John Romero posted:

what did opie do to artie

Just getting this from the Stern thread: apparently Artie went nuts on Opie's show with racial slurs and this may have gotten Artie fired from his show with Apatow. And of course, this is Opie's fault because Artie is a manbaby.

In short: God hates Opie, apparently.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

CrashCat posted:

I am more surprised that Opie didn't get punished for that segment, he knows better and I'm pretty sure he only let it fly because he wants out, but only if he can feel like he's in control

Be funnier if they banned Artie from the building or from any Sirius shows as well. That'll just deepen and increase his Stern paranoia.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

CrashCat posted:

more importantly he thinks so little of Erock, even after all these years, and doing his own podcast, that he won't do a show with him lol

also this

I imagine E-Rock is off the table because that would show that Opie could be replaced by someone much, much cheaper than him without all the sad drama.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Victorkm posted:

I think E-Rock is off the table because otherwise the table would break.

I'm so far out of the show I didn't even think about that. gently caress! Missed opportunity.

Kevyn posted:

"I bring nothing to the table"

Well, if he's still hanging with Opie now that Sam has abandoned them....

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

"Okay, why did you cancel this band's gig?"

"Because I can and here's proof of his racism." *hands over numerous Twitter and Facebook status updates* "Also, he's been cancelled at other gigs for the same thing, and has been doing this for years. *shows them the Black Earl song as well*

"Okay I can see your point. Mr. Cumia, what do you have to say?"

"Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....gold fringe on the flag?"

*five minute mockery of Brother Joe Cumia which reveals he's an elderly bigoted hanger-on who really thought he had a case, best show of People's Court ever which goes viral as 'idiot doesn't think he's a bigot exists on his has-been brother's welfare'*

Joe does know he got on the show because he's a schmuck and it's not that hard to prove his racism, right?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Why ask for Johnny? Just tell them the vibe in there blows, and you need to speak to the manager. You'll get to meet Earl too if you're unlucky.

Then start questioning Earl and he'll come up with fifteen different ways why it's not his fault.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

CrashCat posted:

sort of... there's basically no show anymore when those 'extra' people can't show up to carry him and there's at least a few good lines when they're all there ripping on each other.

There's no show regardless. It's been an amazing downfall: three years after Ant gets beaten up for being a creep both O&A have come to the end of their careers. Only reason this thread exists is because Jim & Sam are doing something and Ron Bennington is coasting to retirement and giving his daughter a chance to have her own career while Chris Stanley sinks into the stinky tentacles of substance abuse.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sintax posted:

I really think the execs are too afraid of losing connections to talent, or just the ensuing shitstorm that would come from Opie being fired. If Opie was fired, he would start pulling that poo poo about anyone working or guesting on Sirius being a traitor. He's an rear end and it might be easier to just shove him in a studio somewhere and just keep shrinking his show.

So instead they put him in the hallway? Not that I trust Sirius to not think this, but you'd think they would give him a cubicle. Of course, I'd also think it was funny that Opie is bitching about an office when he would arrive shortly before the show began and leave shortly after it ended. Mostly, I think I'm just watching a man on his way out at an organization in an industry that probably could make more money selling their satellites to Dish Network and calling it a day.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

T Bowl posted:

It's all a power move, they feel like they "deserve" an office space. A host I worked with was the exact same way, bitched about keeping his desk when they wanted someone to take it. They stuck his somewhere else and there it sat dormant for several years until he left, never to be touched by him as he was in and out of the studios with maybe 10 minute cushions everyday.

Not a shock. Opie is still pretending there's a radio market for shock jocks and he's not a never-was who got lucky with one incident and then vanished off the collective radar.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Considering the margins you could argue that that declining shock jock radio show was directly responsible for Trumps presidency, in a butterfly flapping it's wings makes a hurricane sort of way

I would see the Weiner pic thing as another case where the show couldn't get press to save its own life. There have been a few moments where the show could have made something out of their momentary fame (wasn't there a Clinton based one in 2016 that Opie tried to get on top of but was ignored?) but it never stuck. And after 2014, it hardly mattered since the stink of Ant's racism pretty much put it out of everybody's mind to begin with.

The only real fame the show seems to have is being mentioned in passing but never directly, the uncool kid that does something really cool once but is quietly shoved out of the way while the cool thing persists and they're stuck saying 'but I did it, I created it, don't I get to be cool as well?'

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kevyn posted:

He used the wrong your/you're literally two words after he used the proper one in the same context.

The sad thing is that you can't really tell if it's due to the alcoholism or stupidity, or just both meshing together to form the trainwreck of his life.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Disabled children getting healthcare? Not with my tax dollars!

*rants impotently on twitter*

"I don't believe in handouts at all...oh, hi, Joe, I'll be right there with the check."

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ozza posted:

I never understand what people who call for 'decisive action' are imagining. Probably concentration camps, who am I kidding

It means 'I have enough money that this is harshing my mellow, why can't the strong man I elected make it go away.' He doesn't care about the situation as much as him making a stand that says 'goddamn, why do I have to think about this NOW, loving assholes.'

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Best thing about Opie's apparent firing? Nobody cares.

With Ant at least there was fuss and discussion and a general acknowledgement that he was gone and something was missing even if he was a bigoted old man never far from a bottle, a young girl, or a fist. But with Opie? Nobody cares. Even in dismissal, nobody gives a poo poo about a pompous board op with mother issues.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Is that really Fez?

Can he now tell us if his insanity was Opie trying to get rid of him?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

He tweeted last week he wants to create podcast network.

We're never going to hear from him again. He's going to sit around, get fat, and enjoy being a jerkass resturanteur until he gets busted sexually harassing someone.

He doesn't have the people skills to get employees. I bet at this point E-Rock has blocked his number. He's completely alienated himself.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

The Dave posted:

He did an instagram live video where he implied that he's going to fight this and 'i still don't even know why i was fired.' He also said "We'll be back".

I.....I HATE YOU!!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Notice how you don't see the wife and the kid in the car? Because the son is worried and the wife is swearing under her breath that she got stuck with either this load or Bam Margera drinking himself to death.

Sometimes in life you're given a choice between two awful options.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

I am lmfao listening to this right now, I can't believe how good the edit job is on his voice to make him sound so whiny. Oh my god it's perfect, how is this even possible.

It is pretty awesome. I searched on YouTube under 'high pitched tits' and the person doing this has some really awesome talent. Of course with Opie they have one hell of a subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

CrashCat posted:

That's fine with me, he shouldn't be expected to pretend he enjoys Sherri's Berries or Pajamagrams or whatever the gently caress it is that SXM is shotgun-shilling without any care for the target. poo poo, most of the ads on Faction Talk are the kind of garbage that runs at 3 AM on the TV because they will take an ad spot anywhere if it's cheap. I'm never going to blame the host of a show for the utter failure of the network they're on to put in any effort.

Now go ahead and blame Anthony though cause he made his own drat network.

If I were one of those fly by night things I would pay Ron extra if he could turn it into a Luminencz Bit.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HysykOPK4dU

• Locked thread