Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Holy poo poo this thread is barely 2 days old and more than 120 pages already. Did something big happen or is that just the speed this thing moves at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I used to read this thing called a "front page" and discovered the forums from there.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Young Hegelian posted:

A system that rewards the Old Boys' Club the way ours does is bullshit, I will grant you that. I think that any discussion of effective governance HAS to account for the fact that our legislature is stupidly small.

The First Congress represented 4m people (1790 census) and seated, at its largest, 65 representatives, for a ratio of 1 representative for every 61k Americans.

The 114th Congress represents 319m people and has 435 representatives, for a ratio of 1 representative for every 733,000 Americans.

Yes the framers knew that the population would grow, but each representative currently represents four times as many people as each the first Congress's Senators. People bitch about lobbying and taxpayer dollars spent on Congressional staff, but it's loving insane that we ask 435 people to run the legislature.

If those numbers are accurate thats alot more than 4 times as many.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Dexo posted:

Essentially anyone smart with money left Ohio ages ago. And Ohio's cities aren't Blue enough to counter the red everywhere else.

Chicago and Northern Illinois are the only thing keeping Illinois from being Ohio.

Yeah but Chicago makes for a much more resilient liberal stronghold than a place like Cleveland. I'm not worried about Illinois going hard red anytime soon, but I guess with Dems like Rahm who needs Republicans.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Got back from early voting a bit ago, +1 for Clinton/Kaine and +1 for Tammy Duckworth here in Illinois. This state is in absolutely no danger of going to Trump but it will be nice to kick out our R senator Kirk. Also voted for anything that increased funding for public services, increased regulations on firearms, and generally anything that gets the ball rolling on Full Communism NowTM.

• Locked thread