Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
YOU POSTED THE WRONG ONE JACKASS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hiJRUZyDzE&t=187s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Mixodorian posted:

We killed Mohammed Mosaddegh getting the ball rolling for Iran to become an Islamic state, Iran becomes an Islamic state, still manages to be less cartoonishly evil than Israel and Saudi Arabia who we play along with. Iran is also the most educated country in the Middle East. Why is my desire for the United States to support Iran on their road of rehabilitation, which has started with electing Rouhani, funny??? (I know the choices were skewed to Khamenei's liking to start, but Iranians going for the moderate option is still a great sign)

Iron Rose likely wants a no poo poo invasion of the place, so if she's laughing at you its a pretty good indication you hold a correct opinion.

e: Although its possible she just wants to put sanctions back up until the Ayatollahs willingly do whatever the gently caress that'll never happen. So forever.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 3, 2016

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Zizek is a rad dude who is often wrong, much like every other rad dude in history. His stupid "Elect Trump even though he's horrible because it would show Americans that anybody, not just political insiders, can get elected. Actually wait there's the supreme court to think about. Huh...." is just one of his dumber things. He's like craft brews. Just because useless hipsters obsess about him doesn't make him bad. And sometimes he makes a bacon-flavored gose, and that sucks. But this oatmeal stout is still great, yeah?

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 4, 2016

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Listen if some homeless bum who shat all over Plato's classroom and masturbated in the market square while screaming at passerby gets to be a philosopher then so does Zizek :colbert:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I picked Stormcloaks because all elves must die :colbert:
I'll play as a Dunmer all the way though. They're Good Ones

That's because Dunmer are incredibly elaborate Jew expies. Not in JRR Tolkein dwarves or Rowling goblins sense. In a way that most people wouldn't recognize because its accurately based on pre-christian (post christian by Skyrim I guess) style Judea. Skyrim is a game of questionable quality, but the dunmer are like crack to historians because of all the little minor parallels whoever writes their stuff slips in.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Bushiz posted:

Y'all are acting like Reddit's lazy here when the much simpler album is that a good portion of the staff are awful techbros who support trump for president and got off on the stolen photos of 17 year olds.

Yeah, the whole Violentacrez episode kinda outed them all as personally terrible pieces of human waste, and most goons should remember that episode. One of this sites finest moments.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Cingulate posted:

And the way things are going, in 200 years, the average human being will look back at people like us ITT and consider us horrible backwards monsters for things we simply cannot even see right now.

Progress doesn't exist. There is no platonic ideal that society marches towards. In all likelyhood in 200 years we'll be seen as backwards monsters for not throwing fags down a well.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Cingulate posted:

posts about stuff
The long term trends are good for metrics like life expectancy and average wealth because technology as a trend increases.
This has literally nothing to do with societal views on minorities, or religious affiliation. The modern USA is more religious than when it was founded. Even within the past twenty years there have been large and noticeable swings in both directions regarding attitudes towards minority rights. The early 2000's had a massive downswing, and hostility towards homosexuals was the most influential and successful plank of the 2004 elections. This whole "inevitability of social progress" garbage is what tricks homosexuals into voting for republicans, and it's an incredibly toxic and self-defeating narrative. You find it in labor rights too. "Oh we don't need unions anymore because these days we just don't treat workers as bad as we used to fart fart fart fart." It's garbage.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 4, 2016

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Well, as I said:

But are you saying that this is where the moral outrage (don't mean to use the term to belittle anyone, it's just the best words I can think of) comes from - that if I had said the above more, and earlier, it would have not been as controversial, morally speaking?

I'm not wondering about people who think I'm empirically wrong, but about those who think I'm stating something morally abhorrent.

It's not morally abhorrent. It's just factually wrong, and breeds complacency. Some posters think you're garbage for other reasons I guess, but I'm not familiar enough with your posting to say so one way or the other. But your view of history is wrong, and every historian on earth would tell you so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Church attendance and use of religion as an authority was extremely low in parts of early america. Of course everyone was "christian", but the vast majority were like many of todays christian. It was something they'd claim if asked and it otherwise had almost no impact on their lives. There have been various ups and downs since then, but the country wasn't founded in the 20th century so how religious people were then are kind of irrelevant.

• Locked thread