Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edrith
Apr 10, 2013
it's like 4am on the east coast which is sad because there are three completely loving insane things in my inbox right now and I have no one to boggle at them with

One: Trump committed hilarious amounts of tax evasion probably

Two: Trump is possibly The Manchurian Candidate. Like literally.

Three, and most important: Trump wrote a loving BDSM erotica novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

canepazzo posted:

I guess, indeed, "check out sex tape"

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/793310080699658240

(not buying this one, too much even for this loving election)

that appears nowhere in the article though

also, don't misgender people even if they're being disagreeable idiots

edrith fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 1, 2016

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

a lot of pro-trump commentary today has focused around hillary being desperate and out of gas if her closing argument it to trot out alicia machado again and hope trump takes the bait, and then of course he didn't take the bait and gave two of his best speeches of the entire campaign

i'm inclined to believe the clinton camp is completely out of gas/oppo and is desperately just trying to run out the clock because the machado poo poo was just flailing wildly imo

I don't think they're out of oppo in the traditional sense because *gestures to Trump* how the gently caress could they be, but I think they've realized that, at this point, the risk to reward ratio isn't worth it. you can't convince the deplorables. might as well just push where they can and let the chips fall. remind people of the big things - pussygate, Alicia Machado, tax evasion, Russia - and pray it sticks.

or maybe they're holding onto video of Trump having sex with Putin for a November surprise who knows

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay, fair. But I would be concerned about whether Twitter has the resources to do something like that, and what ends up not getting attention because they divert resources to it.

Twitter is in a weird position because of how their site is setup. Anyone can register, there's no real barrier to entry, and there's a massive amount of information being shared on the site. I get people's frustrations with Twitter being slow to respond to, for instance, harassment. It's a big flaw in the site. I just don't know that there's a clear-cut solution because I don't think Twitter has the resources necessary to respond properly, and something like "attempting to defraud people of their vote" is way more vague and complex to enforce than something like harassment.

The problem is that Twitter quite often doesn't do anything about not just grey-area cases but straight up rape and death threats.

I'm sure given the number of reports going through every day and the number of users out there, it's hard to keep up, but Twitter very rarely responds to any harassment, ever. Milo only got the axe because he was gleefully and publicly leading a concentrated campaign.

I know several people who have reported rape threats to Twitter and the police: Twitter would say it didn't violate guidelines, and the police would say "What's Twitter?"

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/masterwilliams/status/793214520655122432

:unsmith:

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
i hate everyone

quote:

The ACLU has filed an official complaint against an Arizona public charter school after a sixth grade teacher from the Academy of Excellence in Phoenix repeatedly viciously harassed a Muslim student who is a refugee from Somalia. From Medium.com:

On one occasion, A.A.’s teacher showed a video to the class about 9/11 terrorists and then said to A.A. in front of the entire class, “That’s going to be you,” suggesting that he was destined to become a terrorist himself.

Another time, when A.A. raised his hand to answer a question, his teacher snapped at him — “All you Muslims think you are so smart” — in front of the entire class. Then, referring to the fact that A.A. and his family were resettled in the United States on refugee visas, the teacher started ranting about Donald Trump, telling A.A.:

“I can’t wait until Trump is elected. He’s going to deport all you Muslims. Muslims shouldn’t be given visas. They’ll probably take away your visa and deport you. You’re going to be the next terrorist, I bet.”

ACLU link says that the teacher also physically assaulted him and the school expelled him and his little sister. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooooooooooou

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Too bad when Trump is President (next Weds is the day he is president) he will murder me for being Terry Gross IRL (don't tell anyone I am Terry Gross from public radio's Terry Gross Live! Tonight).

What the gently caress, I thought it was spelled Teri

My life is a lie :(

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/792795095862870017

:unsmith: thanks dread abuela

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
hey turns out if you cut medicaid disabled kids suffer the most

quote:

As news of the cuts became public, parents and grandparents of children who have disabilities flocked to Austin in March to implore the state Senate not to do this. Mothers wept in frustration as they testified before the Texas Senate Finance Committee about the vital these early interventions play in their children's quality of life.

"This is Elijah," Mary Castro told the committee members that day, holding up a photo of her 2-year-old son. "When my son was born, my husband and I found out eight days later that he has Down syndrome. He's medically fragile and developmentally delayed."

Without the support of early childhood intervention therapists that Medicaid provided, Castro told the lawmakers, "Elijah would not be walking, signing, doing word approximations, dancing to music, or interacting with his peers. With that said he is delayed. Quite delayed. But we love him, and he loves people."

Republican Sen. Jane Nelson, who heads the Texas Senate's finance committee, tried to reassure Castro and other anguished parents that the state would make sure there would be no interruption of services, whatsoever.

"Every eligible child for these services will continue to receive them," she told the parents. "And we're going to monitor it and we're going to make sure that happens."

But that's been a promise the state has not been able to keep, and it's in the rural parts of Texas where collapse of service has already begun.

"Sometimes you need to come out to these rural areas and see how things are done — and how they have to be done — and even talk to some of the parents before you just decide to cut a program," said Waymon Stewart, the executive director of the Andrews Center in Tyler.

Stewart predicts that children with profound disabilities will suffer most from the closure of his program and others like it, especially in rural regions. It's not uncommon for early childhood intervention therapists to have to drive an hour each way to get to far-flung patients. For children who are prone to seizures, or who have to be connected to machines for daily living, long trips in the car several days a week for treatment in other clinics are simply not going to happen, he says.

gently caress you Jane Nelson, you had to know that wasn't true and you said it and did it anyways

• Locked thread