Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

A +7 is outlier-y as all hell.

Also, as long as Nate keeps aggregating complete poo poo like those Google Consumer Surveys, which this time around have New York closer than Wisconsin, and Clinton +8 in Kansas, poo poo's gonna be a little weird.

Also this from his article about how much Dems should be worrying today:

quote:

natesilver (Nate Silver, editor in chief): A 5 or 6 sounds about right. And Republicans should be at a 7 or 8.

Everyone arzy! Buy my book! Buy my book! Real sick of Shook Nate this cycle.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'll put the gun to my head with y'all when we dip below the line on PEC. Believe in the Wang.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Miller that got away.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

also there's complaints of the last several days that - funnily - right when we need it most, there seems to be few good polls coming out and a surplus of garbage and/or tracking.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/793613351091892224

I've been saying since February that horrendous polling methodologies are going to gently caress up some aggregation and Nate seems to be taking it the worst.

Thing is though, even though his percentages are stupid, his map is probably correct.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Why won't Donald Trump say White Domestic Terrorism.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I may be wrong but I thought NY State didn't have early voting either?

The infograph from a few pages back also lists Jersey as having early voting, which it doesn't. What it does have is absentee ballots which you've been able to get for a while. I had to have them mailed to me when I was in college.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Are you sure you're thinking of Nate Cohn? Cohn has generally been The Good Nate this year. Nate Silver is the one with 538 and has had a lot of issues this year / broken down a bit wrt Trump being a thing.

No this is what I mean. Shook Nate is allowing trash polls like 50 state online *wet fart* polls into his aggregates and it's loving up a lot. It's not so bad that it's shifting entire states (though I wouldn't be surprised if he's off by 1 this year) but it's enough to push states that are probably not actually tossups into purple territory on one of his THREE completely necessary prediction models.

Nate Cohn is cool.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Roland Jones posted:

Update on my Bernie-turned-Trump "friend" on Facebook:

Good grief, I thought his Trump support was reluctant, but now he's repeating the dude's lines. The only thing that kept me from unfriending him upon seeing this is the thought of seeing his election day meltdown. After that he's getting the ax though.

Tell HA Goodman I said hey.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/793606079380873217

Children are literally better and smarter than white men.

I work in a school for rich white kids and uh, not the ones that will grow up to be white men, that's for sure.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nate is

1) Shook
2) A Garbage pundit
3) Does not discriminate about polls that go into his aggregation no matter how trashass they are

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

cool double post bro

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This will go suspiciously uncovered by the news orgs that are so in the bag for Hillary they would never ever cover her scandals.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Covok posted:

They probably won't cover the Child Rape because they said they wouldn't. CNN said the story doesn't meet their journalistic standards the day after the Second Debate when talking with a Trump surrogate as a reply to him brining in the Clinton rape accusers. "We could attack Trump on this too. He's accused of rape of a minor, but we don't because those stories don't hit our standard for coverage, but bringing in Hillary's accuser's opens the door for us to cover it!"

:suicide:

gently caress the media burn it all down Donnie

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

alpha_destroy posted:

This is a local issue, but it might speak to national problems.

I'm really concerned with how ballot measures are presented. For example in Missouri we have a ballot measure that is presented more or less like this: should we raise a tax on tobacco and use that money to fund education?

First reaction: hell ya. Slam dunk, sounds like a great idea.

Yesterday I got an email from the MNEA telling me to vote that tax down because what it does it set up a unelected board to oversee the allocation of education funding ( i assume only the funding related to the tax) and also allows public tax money (I hope only that specific money but who knows) to go to private and religious schools.

I know people will be like "it's on the voter to inform themselves" but... I'm just annoyed because it feels dishonest to hide poo poo parts of these things when we're voting to amend our Constitution.

In Jersey we have something like this in regards to a gas tax and I have no real clue how to vote for it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Agrajag posted:

Fast and Furious series sucks, that's how.

All the Dwayne Johnson ones rule.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How can you hate the new TMNT movie when it's more faithful to the cartoon than dogshit like Secret of the Ooze was?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Fojar38 posted:

I'm about to just stop checking 538 at this point.

Bunch of great battleground polls come out: Clinton inches up 1.5%

Trump up in a bunch of deep red states: Clinton plummets 4%

Nate Shook. Nate is a mess.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bloops Crusts posted:

It makes sense if you understand the methodology. One of 538's core conceits is that state polls don't move independent of one another; all of the states are correlated to some extent. If a bunch of good polls come up for Trump in Georgia and South Carolina, for example, that means he's probably also doing well in North Carolina.

I understand I just think it's flawed as hell

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

RVProfootballer posted:

I really don't think this is a key problem, though perhaps 538 assumes too strong a correlation. Polls shouldn't be moving randomly, and if you see 5 states move 2 points towards Clinton after the first debate, you should assume a sixth state with no polling done yet also likely moved that way. Whether the model weights that too heavily or doesn't properly throw out those correlations when actual data comes in, I'm not sure.

More that I think Nate has no barrier to entry for polls, like other aggregates do. He's letting some real garbage poo poo swing his numbers.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

canepazzo posted:

ABC sprung a new tracking poll by surprise, now 47-43 Clinton from 47-44 earlier today.

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/794668933710249984

Gotta get in the herd.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

He won't have a job Monday.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Samuel Clemens posted:

There was an elector in Georgia who said the same thing for Trump. It won't matter.

He was forced to resign.

They will find a way to dump this idiot should it actually matter.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pakled posted:

Most states have laws binding their electors to the winner of that state.
From this page:

And DC.

Breaking the law is a thousand dollar fine according to the article. Guy can do it anyway if he wants. (It won't matter)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

iirc, Repubs were up in EV in 2012 and lost bigly. They are currently down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Militree posted:

Does anyone have any info on early voting in New Jersey? That map that gets posted said it's available, but all I can research says no excuse absentee ballot only, and I don't have enough time to get that in.

No early voting here.

• Locked thread