Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hi Everyone. I've been playing Mother 3 for the first time. I know it's almost ten years too late but I'm finally getting around to it. I found the front-loaded character introductions a bit jarring (contrast with Earthbound, which spread them out a little). Though I do understand that they did this because all of them are involved in the prologue events. Took almost two hours before I got control of Lucas but now I'm on the way to psi blasting some piggies. And also defeat capitalism I guess? That seems to be the direction it's going.

The sound battles are kind of tough to get right. I wonder if dropping VBA's sound buffer size would help.

I've also been playing some Stardew Valley on the side when I don't feel like Mother 3.

RCarr posted:

Wake me up when San Francisco Rush is back.

:hellyeah: I loving love (especially) Rush 2 and 2049. The "adventure" gameplay components were pretty cool.

Great Joe posted:

Distance is likely to come out either this year or early next year.

What is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thanks for grabbin' all of those super potions for me buddy :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mother 3 is hard :(

Doesn't help that I still can't seem to get the rhythm attacks down.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Real hurthling! posted:

dude has broken through to the next level. released like 5 insanely cool vids today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH2YyLT7N70

Are there any other Pannenkoek's out there? Like people that do the same sort of insane poo poo but for other games?

Besides Ulillillia I mean.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the good spinoffs that aren't snap/pokken

e: I guess I liked pokemon pinball when I was 8

Puzzle League is good

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm fond of bug Pokemon but most of them are bad :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well I beat Mother 3.

In typical Mother fashion the scenes before, during, and immediately after the final battle were incredibly touching. I'm really not a fan of the ending at all, though. The entire game up to then was really good.

So satisfying to know what ultimately happens to that bratty little weasel Porky too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:agreed: but, I don't know, the ending just seemed... silly? And I don't mean the kind of silly you would expect from a Mother game. I mean why did I go through with literally destroying the entire loving world after taking care of Porky and his goons? There didn't seem to be much of a point in pulling the last needle and resurrecting the dragon once the threat was thwarted.

Did I get a bad ending? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have multiple endings though...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Leroy Dennui posted:

That's the only ending, yes unless you don't move around when the "End?" graphic pops up, but most people instinctively do.

There's an unused sprite that says something along the lines of "HAPPY END", so who knows what the hell was planned for the game originally; I'm thinking the original ending had worse implications and that graphic was meant to be sarcastic.

Yeah I did do that until the credits started to roll. Oh well.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This looks cool and I want to play it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

^ also this, yes

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hey, welcome back. I've been watching Twin Peaks for the first time and have a growing appreciation for your avatar. I think I'm at the point where David Lynch started having less and less to do with the series (I know who killed Laura Palmer)

Yeah my girlfriend and I are about halfway through season 2. Unfortunately they turn the forbidden love and crooked business sideplots to loving 11 in the second season, but I'm still enjoying Cooper's crime mysteries whenever they unfold.

Girlfriend is watching an old archived LP of Deadly Premonition and goddamn Access Games really went out of their way to essentially make Twin Peaks: The Game. It's almost a carbon copy except for the clearly shoehorned zombie combat. http://lparchive.org/Deadly-Premonition/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was playing some Earthworm Jim 2 last night and man I forgot how impressive the graphics were for a SNES game. Easily one of the best looking games for the system.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

I like the EWJ games but sometimes it was so well animated it ended up on the wrong side of uncontrollable.

Those levels where you have to save Peter's puppies with the marshmallow are loving awful for this reason imo. Where are the hitboxes god dammit?? :argh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Josh Lyman posted:

Since it's the 25th anniversary of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and I've never played it, I figured now is as good a time as any.

But which emulator should I use? I'm using an Xbone controller on Win10.

Higan is really the only SNES emulator worth using anymore.

Unless you're playing on a toaster in which case SNES9x is fine.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ImpAtom posted:

World of Warcraft is, what, 12 years old? Frankly the fact it's still going is pretty goddamn impressive.

They're still making expansions for Ultima Online and Everquest. The last for both were released just last year.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LQjP9ytyZo

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 24, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This makes me want Cherry Coke more than it makes me want to play FF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yfohiCCRAg

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is all the evidence I needed to know this is true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JV-PB-Kj38

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm just gonna go ahead and play through a bunch of games I should have but never for the 8-16 bit eras. What are some of your favorite Best Games Nobody's Ever Played from this period, thread? What are the must-plays that aren't the typical Marios, Metroids, Zeldas, Mega Mans, Square RPGs, and Sonics?

I'm interested in a good mix of platformers, action, adventure, and RPGs. Anything as long as it has a campaign/story mode of some kind and isn't insanely difficult or too long. I'm especially open to Game Boy/Color, Game Gear, Master System, and Genesis/MegaDrive suggestions because I'm not sure what's out there for these platforms.

Right now I'm working on The Secret of Evermore and Earthworm Jim (SNES version). I'll probably move on to Crystalis and Castlevania after those.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

Wonderboy in Monsterland is an under appreciated Megadrive classic.

That's the one that plays like Zelda II or Castlevania II, right? I'll add it to the list.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah this is a good game.

NES: River City Ransom, Crystalis, The Clash at Demonhead

Also you said Square RPGs but if you've never played Final Fantasy 3 (NES) or Final Fantasy 5 (SNES) because you aren't Japanese and like JRPGs they're really good games for their respective eras.

I'll add those too. I'm not sure if I'll get around to playing RCR because I'm not crazy about beat-em-ups but if my girlfriend feels up for a goofy co-op game I'll certainly consider it.

I said "no Square RPGs" because they aren't exactly underappreciated. Also I played them all except Live A Live, Secret of Evermore (which I am working on currently), and the SaGa series (which I really don't care for). I considered FF Adventure for a bit but I'm probably better off playing Sword of Mana instead.

Edit: I also don't want my list to be too loaded with RPGs because they're kind of a commitment. So far I have only at most 2 per system: DQ3 and Mother for NES, SoE and Ogre Battle for SNES, and PS4 for Genesis. I'll probably switch up DQ3 for something a little shorter/easier but I dunno what.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 26, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

Unless you already played that in which case go crazy with Sword of Mana.

What if I don't have a Vita?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3 for the SNES. It is my favorite game on that system and I love how choosing a different party gets you a new facet to the story, and influences the final boss. It's gorgeous, fun, and has a cute dragon.

Way ahead of you on that one. Played it about ten years ago now and it was a pretty good time :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is just the beginning of SoE bad or is the whole game like this? Save points are miles apart and combat is a bit of a slog because enemies are way faster than you. Damage dealt by enemies seems inconsistent so I frequently end up suddenly dying because a dinosaur hit me for 35 HP instead of the usual 20.

Zaggitz posted:

Demon's Crest is an extremely good SNES action game.

This one's already on the list and I'm itching to start it :)

Gimbal lock posted:

If you count pc-engine, Castlevania Rondo of Blood is really really good.

Oh right I'll check that one too if I can. Dracula X sucked so I'm interested in seeing how it Should Have Been

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Secret of Evermore?

Yes this, sorry.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've already played through a bunch of the games already suggested but I'll take a look at some of the ones I never heard of before. I agree that Donkey Kong '94 is really loving good. Everyone play that game please. Preferably on a Super Game Boy. One of my friends had it so I played the living poo poo out of it growing up and I was kind of disappointed that the Mario vs. DK games didn't fully capture the game's feel, though I can't quite pinpoint why.

I just finished ActRaiser and goddamn the people at Quintet were really obsessed with religion/God and rebuilding the world after some unknown apocalypse weren't they? It's kind of interesting that they forked the ideas of ActRaiser into two paths: The arcade-style action/platforming (ActRaiser II) and the story-driven world-rebuilding RPGs (Soul Blazer and its "sequels"). They took the simulation aspects out of those games though. It's kind of odd that there hasn't been an indie spiritual sequel to the first ActRaiser at all.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lizard Wizard posted:

I can't wait until you get to 3. It's my favorite.

:same: It's the one I grew up on and it is thus dear to my heart. In general 2, 3, and 4 are a power trio of Excellent NES Games and the best the series gets until 9 and 10.

When I did my Mega Man series run a few years back Mega Mans 3 and 7 were by far the most difficult. 3 because of the "Act 2" stages with the MM2 boss clones and 7 because Wily UFO is loving insanely bullshit hard, especially when you consider how much of a breeze the rest of the game is.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

WARNING: Hot Take below!

That Mega Man 2 Wily Stage music is extremely overrated.

lets hang out posted:

3 is good but also heinously difficult and i hate doc robot

someone told me people don't like 5 and i was surprised that people had strong opinions like that because they all seem pretty good to me, as someone who played 1 through 6 for the first time in the last week

Yeah, I thought the same. 5 and 6 aren't as good as 2-4 imo but they aren't bad enough for it to actually matter. Really if you enjoy any of them you'll enjoy all of them because they're fairly solid.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Remember Network Transmission? My friend bought it because he loved Battle Network :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

So jim's just whining again I guess

No, he's jimquisiting.

FirstAidKite posted:

how is everybody doing today?

I haven't been feeling well lately, to be honest, but even if I'm not all there and not at my best, it doesn't mean I can't wish everyone else a good day! :D

Our apartment is leaking again because we're experiencing record rainfalls here and it sucks because we were just about to get it finished up after a previous, unrelated leak (that time it was the person's dishwasher breaking upstairs).

Also I have a million very thick assignments and exams to grade. poo poo sucks in general rn.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Remember back in 2006 when the Great Wii Shortage happened because Nintendo didn't anticipate the insane demand for the consoles on release day?

I feel like being frustrated and critical of Nintendo for intentionally capitalizing on that phenomenon is justified, just don't get angry about it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 28, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Harrow posted:

It's probably helped that I don't really want an NES Mini so I have no horse in this race, though if they do this poo poo with the Switch I'll probably get annoyed.

Honestly I'm still on the fence. I feel like it could use a few more games imo. Also the controller cable is apparently criminally short. I'm waffling on just putting together a RetroPie instead for a fraction of the cost because:

Shindragon posted:

A frigging NES emulator for crying out loud.

This is literally all it is. It would be interesting if it used real NES hardware instead, though that's not really necessary if the emulation is accurate. It would also jack up production costs too, which is Bad.

Any news on that Genesis/MegaDrive redux?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 28, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

You're not talking about the AtGames version that's already on shelves, right? Because that might have the worst sound quality of any Genesis.

Wait what?

http://comicbook.com/2016/07/26/sega-reveals-genesis-classic-edition-rerelease/ posted:

UPDATE: As Kotaku points out, this is actually just a rebranded release of the same emulator At Games has been releasing for years, not a response to the NES Classic. Sega is not directly involved in this emulation box. We are no longer excited. The original article follows.

Oh :sigh:

I thought they were making one with real Genesis hardware. Oh well.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

lmao

but what about this? Was this a lie? http://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/11/07/sega-genesis-production/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Last Celebration posted:

Top Man is basically the first boss because he's super easy

It also gets you the secretly-best weapon in that game.

Stux posted:

thesis: is bowser daddy?

Stux posted:

yeah but is he Daddy

yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RlMCe6mHP0&t=93s

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

oddium posted:

what's b&n

American Chapters

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I never played Doom yet so this is the only thing that always comes to mind whenever I hear Argent Tower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S3QKfqHWU4

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

MMF Freeway posted:

Goddamn I hate the Backlash

Better than the Sideswipe and Ballista imo

I hated Backlash and still find it kind of frustrating to use sometimes, but it grew on me. It's good to have a vehicle that requires some skill to use effectively and is still strong enough to eventually raze a building by ramming when you give up on trying to use it as intended.

I just feel its mechanics could be refined and the tutorial more clear.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I guess you can add "game crashing because gently caress you" to the list of things that can go south when the planets align and a Roguelike seems to be working in your favor..

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Invictus posted:

The gently caress are you waiting for

A new computer and/or a PS4

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Invictus posted:

Unless your pc is ancient it should still run, doom is crazy well optimized

It's a laptop.

It can run New Vegas on max settings so I dunno. It does have trouble running AC: Brotherhood on most non-toaster settings, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Watching the innkeeper completely butcher a pig was really cool. All of the other artisan activities were kinda boring though.

• Locked thread