Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Would it be against the rules to speedrun a modded version with skippable cutscenes just to make it easier to play and practice. Because obviously that wouldn't actually impact the time or playing requirements, just streamline it all.

I think the issue with MP3 is that it's kind of patched together so the long cutscenes are used for loading and so-on which is why they can't be skipped, so any mod that made cutscenes skippable would probably be an insane amount of effort to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

Would it be against the rules to speedrun a modded version with skippable cutscenes just to make it easier to play and practice. Because obviously that wouldn't actually impact the time or playing requirements, just streamline it all.

Luckily practicing Max Payne 3 is pretty easy because the chapter select allows you to jump to any checkpoint within a chapter, of which there are at least a dozen or so per. It loads very quickly as well, so you can just finish a checkpoint and then either restart from the pause menu to instantly jump back, or go back to the menu if you do a few checkpoints at time (like a whole setpiece). But like ImpAtom says, the cutscenes in Max Payne 3 mask loading times which is why they are unskippable, so unfortunately they're hard coded and are (probably) impossible to remove.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Don't worry, the moon will crush us all soon enough.

Play this on repeat till then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjXutKsizE8

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I love how darkly menacing the music gets as time winds down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e056R97svz8

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Now I wish portables didn't give me headaches because I'm jonesin' to play MM

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In 1,050 hours of playing Dark Souls over the past 5 years I have never, ever noticed that you can see Firelink from here. Holy crap.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There's something with Max Payne 3's loading that goes beyond it just streaming assets in the background during cutscenes. The loading times are the exact same even with an SSD on PC and, from what I recall during release, the prompts to skip cutscenes appeared at the same time in all platforms. I assume it has less to do with loading and more with them being in-engine possibly causing scripting issues if skipped too early. Considering the game's troubled 4-6 year development it wouldn't surprise me if it were the latter.

I believe one of the final patches even made it so a couple more cutscenes could be skipped.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, there is and there isn't. You're mostly right! It is dedicating that time to streaming the next part of the level in and the previous part out, but the reason the skip times are not arbitrary (and as I said, hard coded) is because they're measured with console disc read times in mind. Some poor intern most likely had to go through the game and determine just how long it would take for the new assets to be loaded in and ready for use, for each cutscene that serves as a loading zone, for the entire game. They set those points accordingly with what the maximum time it could possibly take to load the next stuff in would be, because I guess it was easier to do that than to take their open world game engine and figure out how to make cutscenes skippable when they're done loading for real.

And in fact, you can monitor how long it actually takes to load stuff in by just looking at how much cpu usage the game is taking up during cutscenes. The moment you enter one, it'll leap up to the 80s-90s, and then when the loading is finished it drops like a rock back down to the 50s or below. Usually, on a modern hard drive, this takes maybe a couple seconds at best. Which is a shame, because then you're left waiting for the game to decide it's ready for you to go!

Meanwhile, I am replaying through Dark Souls 1 for the first time in like a year, and that global restart day definitely had an effect. There's co-operators all over the place, messages everywhere, and the bell in the Undead Parish wouldn't stop ringing while I was there. If you've been itching to replay Dark Souls 1, now is a very good time to do so.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 26, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never actually finished DS1 to my regret but I'm in the middle of a bunch of other stuff at the moment. :/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I bought God of War 3 remastered and Killzone in the PSN's Black Friady sale.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:rip:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I've never played God of War before so I'm looking forward to it. Also I hope they didn't gently caress up the latest Killzone that much, it was mindless fun on PS3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GoW3's main failing is there's no skip cutscene button. And I never skip cutscenes normally.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought Battlefield 1 for PS4 last night.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nice! It's dope.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I would have bought it but I already own it for the PC. I should have definitely gotten Battlefront for PS4 instead of PC though :rip:.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I recently recovered my old SNES and am trying to play video games on it. Unfortunately I think it might be unusable. The system's port and game carts are both cleaned thoroughly and most games will start long enough to show respective openings/titles, but any time there's a major screen transition (from title to gameplay) everything locks up. Research shows this might be due to dead RAM or something and people with this problem never seem to find a solution.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Does Fable Anniversary still look objectively worse than TLC? I remember that being a thing at release.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Crusher posted:

I recently recovered my old SNES and am trying to play video games on it. Unfortunately I think it might be unusable. The system's port and game carts are both cleaned thoroughly and most games will start long enough to show respective openings/titles, but any time there's a major screen transition (from title to gameplay) everything locks up. Research shows this might be due to dead RAM or something and people with this problem never seem to find a solution.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

You could probably try asking the retro thread and see if you get a better response there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785100&pagenumber=1

As an aside, if you, for whatever reason, wanted to play the likely-Korean mashup of The Stanley Parable and... Odin Sphere? There's a Steam game called Icey for you.

I got to a dead end and got yelled at to turn around until I got a Trophy and then the narrator started bitching about players ruining the game because of trophies.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 26, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
We got no 7 days to die thread? Is it called something hilarious?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really tempted by Telltale Batman due to it being on sale but can anyone say if it's actually worth it? I recall people being positive about it but I don't know how that's held up.

I sort of like it, but it seems rushed in some areas. Especially Episode 4, which just had me baffled.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Quest For Glory II posted:

anna's quest is available free here for 24 hours, but it is non-Steam and uses some launcher that acts as a device driver

https://playfield.io/annas-quest

the launcher tries to do that thing the ps4 was supposed to do where you can launch into the game while the game is still downloading. they want people to test it so thats why they're giving a game away for free??

Before they worry about their device driver maybe they should worry about the fact that their account creation form is acting as though it were a login form and telling me the password is invalid. Of course it's invalid, I DON'T HAVE AN ACCOUNT YET

FirstAidKite posted:

I am slowly but surely coming to believe in the mandela effect

I distinctly remember an episode of SOMEthing from around the early Mythbusters period that covered prison wine, but I'm not certain it was actually Mythbusters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They did plenty of prison stuff that wasn't making wine, maybe it was a throwaway bit during one of those episodes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm just gonna go ahead and play through a bunch of games I should have but never for the 8-16 bit eras. What are some of your favorite Best Games Nobody's Ever Played from this period, thread? What are the must-plays that aren't the typical Marios, Metroids, Zeldas, Mega Mans, Square RPGs, and Sonics?

I'm interested in a good mix of platformers, action, adventure, and RPGs. Anything as long as it has a campaign/story mode of some kind and isn't insanely difficult or too long. I'm especially open to Game Boy/Color, Game Gear, Master System, and Genesis/MegaDrive suggestions because I'm not sure what's out there for these platforms.

Right now I'm working on The Secret of Evermore and Earthworm Jim (SNES version). I'll probably move on to Crystalis and Castlevania after those.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

evilmiera posted:

I sort of like it, but it seems rushed in some areas. Especially Episode 4, which just had me baffled.

I wish there was an easier way to find out who the writers are for Telltale games and in what capacity, because with how wildly the quality of their post-Walking Dead titles vary that seems to be the one metric that's most useful . Like how a lot of the Walking Dead guys left after season 1 to make their own games then season 2 fell off a cliff, or how Tales from the Borderlands was written by a lot of Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse people so it wound up being great regardless of the source material.

The lead writer of Telltale Batman is a guy whose only other writing credits are a contributing role to Tales from the Borderlands and what looks like two lovely animated web cartoons I've never heard of. The fact that the guy who wrote "The Fart Knight Rises" for a show called Dick Figures is now the lead writer of an actual serious Batman game is really, really funny to me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

They did plenty of prison stuff that wasn't making wine, maybe it was a throwaway bit during one of those episodes.

That's what I remember it being. It wasn't specifically a myth of "can you make wine in a toilet," it was just something where they were like "well we're here, let's see if we can make wine in a prison toilet"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mak0rz posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and play through a bunch of games I should have but never for the 8-16 bit eras. What are some of your favorite Best Games Nobody's Ever Played from this period, thread? What are the must-plays that aren't the typical Marios, Metroids, Zeldas, Mega Mans, Square RPGs, and Sonics?

I'm interested in a good mix of platformers, action, adventure, and RPGs. Anything as long as it has a campaign/story mode of some kind and isn't insanely difficult or too long. I'm especially open to Game Boy/Color, Game Gear, Master System, and Genesis/MegaDrive suggestions because I'm not sure what's out there for these platforms.

Right now I'm working on The Secret of Evermore and Earthworm Jim (SNES version). I'll probably move on to Crystalis and Castlevania after those.

Wonderboy in Monsterland is an under appreciated Megadrive classic.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah this is a good game.

NES: River City Ransom, Crystalis, The Clash at Demonhead

Also you said Square RPGs but if you've never played Final Fantasy 3 (NES) or Final Fantasy 5 (SNES) because you aren't Japanese and like JRPGs they're really good games for their respective eras.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the one that plays like Zelda II or Castlevania II, right? I'll add it to the list.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah this is a good game.

NES: River City Ransom, Crystalis, The Clash at Demonhead

Also you said Square RPGs but if you've never played Final Fantasy 3 (NES) or Final Fantasy 5 (SNES) because you aren't Japanese and like JRPGs they're really good games for their respective eras.

I'll add those too. I'm not sure if I'll get around to playing RCR because I'm not crazy about beat-em-ups but if my girlfriend feels up for a goofy co-op game I'll certainly consider it.

I said "no Square RPGs" because they aren't exactly underappreciated. Also I played them all except Live A Live, Secret of Evermore (which I am working on currently), and the SaGa series (which I really don't care for). I considered FF Adventure for a bit but I'm probably better off playing Sword of Mana instead.

Edit: I also don't want my list to be too loaded with RPGs because they're kind of a commitment. So far I have only at most 2 per system: DQ3 and Mother for NES, SoE and Ogre Battle for SNES, and PS4 for Genesis. I'll probably switch up DQ3 for something a little shorter/easier but I dunno what.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 26, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

I wouldn't say nobody's ever played it exactly but get Rocket Knight Adventures for the Genesis

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I considered FF Adventure for a bit but I'm probably better off playing Sword of Mana instead.

No, no you are not. If you're going to play something in place of FF Adventure please play the actual more honest remake of it that came out on Vita earlier this year called Adventures of Mana, because it is more faithful to the original and also a beautiful game to play.

Unless you already played that in which case go crazy with Sword of Mana.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Seiken Densetsu 3 for the SNES. It is my favorite game on that system and I love how choosing a different party gets you a new facet to the story, and influences the final boss. It's gorgeous, fun, and has a cute dragon.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

Unless you already played that in which case go crazy with Sword of Mana.

What if I don't have a Vita?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3 for the SNES. It is my favorite game on that system and I love how choosing a different party gets you a new facet to the story, and influences the final boss. It's gorgeous, fun, and has a cute dragon.

Way ahead of you on that one. Played it about ten years ago now and it was a pretty good time :)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The PS4 load times for XCom 2 are criminal. It definitely is a deterrent to me playing more of it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

What if I don't have a Vita?

It is also technically on smartphones.

Well not technically it's the same game but don't play that version if you can help it.

I'm sure Vita TVs are still stupid cheap, and it works on those.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

For the SNES: Super R-Type and Darius 3. EVO. Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Sim City. Act Raiser.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phantasium posted:

I'm sure Vita TVs are still stupid cheap, and it works on those.

They are $20.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mak0rz posted:

Demon's Crest is an extremely good SNES action game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Terranigma on SNES. If you count pc-engine, Castlevania Rondo of Blood is really really good.

• Locked thread