Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone have recommendations on Battlefield 1 vs. Titanfall 2? I'm itching for a non-Overwatch FPS to play.

This would probably be an easier decision if I'd played any previous Battlefield game or the first Titanfall, but I actually haven't.

Also Lizard Wizard's making me want to jump back in to XCOM 2 with that stylish squad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Titanfall 2 is godlike

So I've heard, and maybe the fast-paced combat and mechs would be more fun for me than Battlefield's style, at least right now. The mechs definitely seem like a ton of fun.

Snak posted:

An episode where it turns out all the characters are only people in vr. They are dogs in real life and they forgot they were dogs. When the vr internet goes down, they have to figure out how to be dogs again.

10/10 episode, prescient and satirical

Actually that sounds kind of adorable, the figuring-out-how-to-dog-again part, I'd watch it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Holy poo poo. I don't know if I've beat any games released in 2016.

Furi, I guess.

Dark Souls 3?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I still feel like Demon's Souls has the strongest level design in the franchise, thanks in part to its excellent enemy placement, but the game's bosses are more middling; impressive at a glance (with some of my favorite designs), but ultimately kinda gimmicky. Dark Souls, by contrast, has the better "World" design with everything linking together and making sense, and the best bosses, whereas Bloodborne has the best atmosphere and combat.

Not a fan of Dark Souls II.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel. Demon's Souls is second for me, behind Bloodborne, but something about it just feels very right to me. I haven't played it in a long time, though.

Bloodborne is my favorite of the series by a pretty wide margin, though. I wish it had the world design of Dark Souls, but oh man, nothing beats its atmosphere, story, and combat for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm pretty on-board for the Switch. I haven't bought a Nintendo console at launch in several generations, but really, portable Breath of the Wild really appeals to me. I'm curious to see what other launch titles there will be.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't decide if I'm gonna turn my brain off and play Civ VI on moderate difficulty for the rest of the week or replay Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong and just dive headfirst into cyberpunk.

corn in the bible posted:

good interactive fiction lets you control the ending

Jesus Christ, that redtext :staredog:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help me decide what game to play when I get home from work.

a) Civilization VI, probably Prince or King difficulty, nothing too taxing. Turn off my brain and try to let the game's inherent optimism about humanity override my anxiety.

b) Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Because what better way to prepare for the cyberpunk dystopia that a Republican FCC would usher in than playing a game set in a cyberpunk dystopia (tempered, of course, by elves and wizards).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

It's really good. Pc version leaves something to be desired but they weren't joking when they said "Dishonored, but better".

Levels are bigger and more intricate, the city actually feels like a city instead of just interconnected rooms, it's more brutal than ever, if that's what you're into (you monster).

Oh and the world building is SO GOOD. There's a ton of little ambient dialogue and documents and just paying close attention to the environments tells a story.

gently caress, I was gonna wait to buy it, but that's a ringing endorsement to me. I loved the world in the first Dishonored and I want more of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, but I know a whole country that recently got tyranny running.

:smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trying to decide on my GOTY makes me realize I didn't play very many new games this year. Huh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I beat Bloodborne this year which is game of the decade at least.

:yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I unironically enjoy end-of-year GOTY things in games media for no real reason so I'm looking forward to the next couple months of games coverage.

That said, it's sort of weird that, if I'm limiting my GOTY list to games that came out this year, I'm sorely tempted to give mine to Uncharted 4. It's the video game equivalent of a popcorn flick blockbuster, but it was fun and had a really good story. Dark Souls 3 fell just short enough for me that I haven't even bought the DLC yet, and I'm usually champing at the bit for Soulsborne expansions.

Other new games I played this year are Overwatch (which I really like, obviously, but also FPS games have never been my main jam), Tyranny (not done yet, but it's good), Civ 6 (shoulda waited for patches or even an expansion), um... did Dragon's Dogma PC version come out this year? That's not new, obviously, but it was fun. Blood and Wine owned. For some reason I couldn't really get into Bravely Second like I did Bravely Default. And I think that's about all the 2016 games I played this year. Most of what I played is from last year or older.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Because I didn't really start hating it until midway through last season. But so far, this season is some of the hottest garbage I've ever seen. But my best friend is still really into it, and I don't want to be that guy who's just "gently caress this, I quit" just like, right away. I'm only still watching it for social reasons, because I'm a good friend.

That's basically the reason I still watch Game of Thrones, which I kind of just find boring at this point but, eh, we've been having watch parties for a couple years now and at least hanging out is fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lotta Bloodborne chat I missed and now I feel like I need to re-up my PS+ and play some Bloodborne again. I miss you, Threaded Cane.

I guess I don't have to re-up PS+ but I'm not about to play a Soulsborne game without messages all over the place.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I'm watching Boss Key's by Mark Brown currently and it's real, real good.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc38fcMFcV_ul4D6OChdWhsNsYY3NA5B2

It's an overview of dungeon design across all Zelda games.

I love that dude's videos and Boss Keys are my favorites so far. My girlfriend doesn't play too many video games but even she sometimes asks if there's a new Boss Keys to watch because that poo poo's fascinating. I like seeing his research process as it evolves, and his dungeon diagrams are really cool.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 16, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know who this is but hopefully I can stop him before it's too late

Polygon writer/video maker who is also one of the hosts of a couple of non-video game podcasts with his brothers (one of whom also writes for Polygon, Justin McElroy). The podcasts in question are My Brother, My Brother, and Me and Adventure Zone (D&D podcast).

Griffin's like the one good thing about Polygon imo but he does love to call things "boys" like his Pokemon in his ongoing Nuzlocke LP of Pokemon Y.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Honestly if you just stick to Polygon's videos they're real good.

It bugs me sometimes that the people they get to record previews on some games just aren't very good at playing them, but that's just how I am, I get all backseat driver about it. Whenever I watch Let's Plays they have to be by people who are actually good at the games, and it's better when they're better at it or more knowledgeable than I am (for example, Chip Cheezum's LPs). Griffin's Pokemon Y Nuzlocke LP is something of an exception because he often gets owned really hard, but he's also intentionally making a very easy game much harder on himself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I sorta get angry watching his nuzlocke run when he frets for ages over a situation that's really fine but it's a little silly to compare gameplay ability between a preview of a game and an LP.

Oh, I know, that was just an example. I have a hard time watching game preview videos in general just because it irks me when someone's bad at a game and I can't do anything about it, so I generally just don't.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Ah right I misread that, sorry.

Backseat gaming's a weird impulsive thing for me sometimes, Mc Elroy's nuzlocke runs are lately the only weird time it's been coming up. Luckily I stop myself for being a gigantic rear end and dropping a comment explaining things.

One bad case of backseat gaming for me was when I first introduced Dark Souls to my BF and I seriously was obnoxious about it. Next time he tried I let him do his thing and just helped if he asked and he got hooked this time. Then gave up when he got to Lost Izalith.

Don't backseat game folks.

I'm sorta lucky that my girlfriend is almost exclusively into games that I'm horrible at, largely puzzle games. I never even feel a vague desire to backseat game when she's playing.

We played Super Mario 3D World pseudo-co-op (only have one Wii U controller, so no actual multiplayer) and it worked out pretty well because she hated trying to hunt down stars and stamps, so she'd just always be the first one to do a level to completion, then I'd take over and try to get the tricky stars, then we'd switch back.

I'm pretty good at keeping my backseat gaming under control in real life, but when it comes to watching people play games on YouTube I figure, why even put myself in that situation? So I just seek out videos by people who are really good and probably better than I am at whatever they're playing (or doing a playthrough that I wouldn't attempt myself, like Griffin's Nuzlocke run or that time Super Bunnyhop did a no tranq, no kill European Extreme run of MGS3) and then I can just kick back and relax.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I forgot Fire Emblem Fates came out this year, didn't it? Conquest might well be in the running for my personal GOTY. The story was garbage, but playing it on Hard with perma-death on and making it to the end with zero deaths is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've ever had.

I really hope the next FE game uses Conquest as a model for its gameplay. Some of the best turn-based strategy maps I've ever played.

Speaking of turn-based strategy, XCOM 2 was this year too, wasn't it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Deffo for console. I cant remember if it was 2015 or 2016 on pc

February 2016, looks like, so yeah, that's this year too.

Though really, FE Fates Conquest ended up being a more memorable and satisfying strategy game for me, and that surprised the hell outta me, because I wasn't expecting it to be so different from Awakening.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Conquest is such an amazing game, and it's cool they did the split game approach to keep people interested who preferred the Awakening style (because I didn't and conquest brought me back in love with the series again)

:yeah:

For anyone who has a 3DS, likes turn-based strategy, and somehow hasn't played Fates yet (maybe because Awakening turned you off or you just haven't gotten around to it yet):

Holy poo poo FE: Fates Conquest is incredible. It's much harder than Awakening or the other two Fates paths, but, crucially, that difficulty is legitimate. They didn't just stuff wide-open maps with beefy enemies and reinforcements that attack on the same turn (in fact, reinforcements don't get to do that anymore at all). They gave enemy units actual Skills, like your units get, and in some diabolical combinations that also play around with the map layouts. I actually had to stop and think before every move in many maps and I loved it. I'd played the Birthright path first and liked it well enough, and that gave me the confidence to play Conquest on Hard instead of Normal, and gently caress am I ever glad I did.

If someone's going to pick it up in the future, if you only play one path, make it Conquest. You should only play on Classic (permadeath mode) if you're a purist or a masochist, but I will say that I don't think I'd have been quite so giddy after completing the game if I'd played on Casual. Finishing the whole thing, on Hard, with zero casualties required a ton of resets and I got very, very Mad At Video Games during my repeated attempts at the last two chapters, but god drat did I feel good when I did it. Easily my most satisfying gaming experience of the year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Revelations is also interesting as an extra path. The maps lean a little too Awakening for my tastes but they also have a high volume of super gimmicky maps which is kinda cool. The enemies never feel as carefully designed as Conquest and they give you every character from both games without retuning level and stats for when they appear in Rev so you have a massively unbalanced and bloated squad to mess with but I think it's worth a play. More interesting than Birthright at least

I sorta treated Revelations as a victory lap, myself. I really wanted it to have the enemy design of Conquest and the map gimmicks didn't really do quite enough to make up for it, for me.

So I kept playing on Hard and just abused everything I could about the class system to break the game wide open. My +Str/-Lck Corrin, Xander, Ryoma, and Camilla were absurdly powerful. I had Xander and Ryoma become best friends so they could use each other's classes and let me tell you, Xander with Astra and Swordfaire is hilarious. Ryoma with Luna is also pretty good, but not quite as spectacular to behold. And Camilla is just Camilla and is gonna be nuts no matter what you do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm hearing that Watch_Dogs 2 is actually good. Is that true?

I was going to ask if it's the Assassin's Creed 2 to Watch_Dogs's Assassin's Creed, but that seems rude to the first Assassin's Creed, which was at least a really creative and unique game when it came out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

apparently the AAA game industry is having a little bit of a crisis right now. according to PAL charts, Watch Dogs 2 sold only 20% of what Watch Dogs 1 sold in the same timeframe from launch. Similarly, Mankind Divided sold half of what Human Revolution sold, Gears of War 4 sold 25% of what GOW3 sold, Titanfall 2 sold 25% of what Titanfall 1 sold, Infinite Warfare sold half of what the last COD sold. Remember this is not "(X) launch week vs. (Y) lifetime sales" but "(X) sales after (Z) days vs (Y) sales after (Z) days"

maybe companies should consider releasing games outside of the last two months of the year just because of Black Friday

That's the lesson I'm taking from it, at least. There are several games I would like to buy right now and haven't yet because so many came out around the same time. Pokemon Sun and Moon, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Dishonored 2, maybe even Watch_Dogs 2, I'd like to have and play all of them, but I only have so much money and so much free time.

Part of me wonders if Watch_Dogs 2 and Titanfall 2 might be suffering a bit from the fact that their predecessors aren't remembered very fondly. The first Titanfall was at least received as a good game at first, but its multiplayer died ridiculously quickly. Watch_Dogs sold incredibly well but was a broken mess on many systems and suffered from being kind of generic once the initial "I can hack things!" fun wears off. But the timing of the releases is probably more to blame.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it possible that CoD fatigue is actually setting in and might account for some of Infinite Warfare's comparatively poor sales? Even Ubisoft learned that annual Assassin's Creed games was becoming a problem. Annualized non-sports games eventually have to hit the fatigue point, I'd imagine.

Battlefield 1 performing well does imply that its novelty is helping it, though.

I also just realized that I'm probably not going to buy Final Fantasy XV on launch which, if you told me that a few years ago, I'd have called you crazy. Nothing to do with the game itself, just that I'm going to be traveling for two whole weeks in December and I don't want to be in a situation in which I either feel pressured to rush through the game in the first two weeks, or I have to just leave it halfway through for two weeks. Gonna wait until January, I guess, and try to dodge spoilers as well as I can.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The reason I'm not interested in Horizon Zero Dawn is that I'm still not convinced we've seen any real gameplay at all. Yes, we've seen gameplay demonstrations, and I don't doubt those were in-engine and actually used the game's systems, but they were clearly scenarios designed to show off the game at its best. I want to know what it looks like when you actually play it, not just what it looks like when you vertical-slice it for an E3 stage demo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really excited to get Pokemon Sun next month to play while traveling. I'm gonna pick Rowlet because he's a cool owl with a bowtie who grows up to be Robin Hoot and I don't see how I could reasonably choose any other starter.

Gonna get Sun for Alolan Ninetails :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Do you remember the first robot master you defeated?

Mine was Magnetman

Woodman, pretty sure. Megaman 2 was my first Megaman game and I always went for him first because his level was the easiest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pokemon is always weird for me, even though I really want to love it. The main stories are always far, far too easy to really hold my interest, but then if you wan to get into the multiplayer, you need to do EV training and breed for good IVs and abilities and uggggghhhh.

It's like I'm in some middle-ground that Pokemon misses entirely. I still want to get Sun, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Pokemon is always weird for me, even though I really want to love it. The main stories are always far, far too easy to really hold my interest, but then if you wan to get into the multiplayer, you need to do EV training and breed for good IVs and abilities and uggggghhhh.

It's like I'm in some middle-ground that Pokemon misses entirely. I still want to get Sun, though.

Actually, on this subject: does anyone have tips for enjoying Pokemon more for a weirdo like me? Alternatively, are things like hyper training going to make it easier to get into the online battle side of things?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Final Fantasy XV's battle theme is really good and I'm glad Yoko Shimomura composed the soundtrack, she owns every time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kunj5Yxw0Ow

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Same. I wonder if the controls are really swimmy and it makes it hard to know when to dodge or who you're attacking, but I hope that after a few hours it clicks. I'd like one video of "high level" FFXV play to show me how it's supposed to look.

There are some out there that I've seen of people dancing around higher-level monsters and winning without getting hit, mostly involving abusing teleportation like crazy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's someone showing how it's probably supposed to be done in the Platinum Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whJVGKIZqAo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

This guy is pretty good
https://youtu.be/PqbH_V2H8a4

Platinum demo doesn't play quite like the final game, though they seem to be pushing wait mode pretty hard and you can't see that outside of streams atm. They even added a skill tree for it in the day one patch.

God drat that looks fun. And yeah, teleport strikes like crazy--that's definitely the core mechanic.

Apparently the spellcrafting system can get pretty crazy. Spells share cooldowns like abilities in Mass Effect (use one spell, all of them go on cooldown) but they can also get stupid powerful. Also they apparently have friendly fire?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 22, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

They do, your bros do not appreciate being blown up. They don't take full damage though, they might just be incapacitated for a bit. In one of that guy's videos you can see him using an Ignis ability that regroups everyone away from enemies and heals them, it's really helpful for getting magic off without hitting them. Positioning is a big deal in ff15.

Oh cool, I didn't see that Ignis ability. That's pretty sweet.

Now I'm extra bummed that I probably won't be able to play until January. I could buy it on launch but then I'd only have two weeks to play before I leave for two weeks of Christmas traveling that I can't bring my PS4 along for, so I'm probably just going to hold off until I get back :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

It seems like a really early boss judging by its level.

It's just a demo enemy, really.

Bad Seafood posted:

That giant dude only got off like five attacks in the whole video.

I hope the enemies in the actual game are a bit less docile, unless this video's an anomaly and he usually doesn't just stand there.

This video someone posted after mine is better:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's going to be a real struggle not to buy FFXV until January, but there's really no reason for me to buy it now. I'm not likely to finish it in three weeks, given how much free time I have and other games I want to play, and after that I'll be traveling for two straight weeks for family visits and won't be bringing my PS4. So I'll either have to rush to finish the game in three weeks, or be annoyed that I'm going to have to leave it unfinished for two weeks.

Though if I'm honest I'll probably cave and buy it this weekend because I'm a sucker for all things Final Fantasy and FFXV legitimately looks really good.

In Training posted:

A Hideo Kojima Game

This is what I was going to say. Kojima's the only case I can think of where someone gets main title screen billing, though. Not, like, fake movie credits, but just the main menu.

It does sort of stick out that Nomura is credited on the title screen specifically as the main character designer, but I can think of a few reasons why. It might just be respect for him as the original game designer. It could also be because the game's marketing, at least before they had gameplay to show off, was real big on pushing the style of the main characters, so Nomura's designs are definitely important to the game's overall aesthetic and identity.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Ghost Recon, and the Division as well. Dude had nothing to do with any of those games besides the very first Rainbow Six. Dude has been dead for awhile now and UBISoft still plans on dragging his name through the dirt with their games for the foreseeable future.

I wonder what it's like to die knowing that you will live on as a brand name on a neverending string of mediocre games. The Immortal Life of Tom Clancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know what's going to make me buy this game before I should? The music.

Listen, I'm as much of a Nobuo Uematsu fan as any long-time Final Fantasy player, but Yoko Shimomura's work here is so good.

• Locked thread