Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Her work is always good, frankly.

It really is. She's one of my favorite game composers. Her music in the Mario and Luigi games surprises me every time. The final boss theme from Bowser's Inside Story is crazy good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6M2xt_Ks4Y

She also composed the soundtrack for Radiant Historia, right? Shimomura could work magic with that DS sound chip.

oddium posted:

the credit before every mgs5 mission :discourse:

:agreed: Was one of my favorite things about the game. It was so silly, but silly in just the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Her Radiant Historia stuff is fantastic, especially given that she was working with the Nintendo DS sound chip. That's a game that deserves to be played with headphones.

Normal battle theme
One of the boss themes
Another boss theme

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eurogamer's review of FFXV is... not particularly positive. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-28-final-fantasy-15-review

Ciaphas posted:

I'll be able to get FFXV digitally tomorrow morning, right? It's pretty much sight unseen for me, but being Final Fantasy it's (nearly) an automatic buy-in.

Watch this and enjoy how rad the battles are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqbH_V2H8a4

Also where are you stuck on Bloodborne? Mostly out of curiosity.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 28, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Jim's point has less to do with his own inability to get one and more to do with the fact that Nintendo's manufacturing of scarcity is a business tactic that's disrespectful to consumers and to the on-the-floor retail employees who then have to bear the brunt of the anger for being unable to deliver something Nintendo hasn't given them.

At least, that's what I got from the video.

Whether he's right to criticize Nintendo for that (or for those reasons) is up for debate, but I don't think he's just whining because he couldn't get an NES mini.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I like its nintendo's fault for people being mean to target employees lol

I mean, sorta? We can reasonably predict that people are going to be pissed off when they can't get a thing, and taking actions that ensures they can't get a thing, knowing that you (the one making the decision) will be insulated from the consequences and probably profit, is kind of lovely to the actual store employees. It's worse because it's the holiday season and people who, say, want to buy this thing for their kid who is going to be so crushed (you know, like spoiled kids do) if he doesn't get one are going to be stressed out about it. Should they lash out at retail employees? Absolutely not. Will they? Yeah, and there's nothing you or I can do about that.

Sure, in an ideal world, people would just go, "Oh, it's sold out. I'll check back later" 100% of the time, but they don't, and changing a business practice designed to elicit frenzy for product is a lot easier than somehow engineering aggressive materialism out of the population.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I've never watched his videos are they good/why does he dress like that/how do i make $120,000 a year on patreon

1. Hit or miss. Sometimes he does come across as just whiny, but sometimes he can muster an amusingly righteous fury over Konami being shitheads, for example.

2. I have no idea why he has that gimmick and I think it's dumb.

3. If I knew, I wouldn't be a tech writer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I guess my point is this (maybe it's Jim's point too, I dunno, I didn't really pay that much attention to the video):

People are going to be lovely whether we like it or not, especially when it's holiday shopping season. Let's just avoid encouraging that shittiness with artificial scarcity intended to provoke a frenzy over a product (while also playing right into scaplers' hands).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I feel like being frustrated and critical of Nintendo for intentionally capitalizing on that phenomenon is justified, just don't get angry about it.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'm not angry, but it's justifiable to criticize Nintendo for it as a business practice.

It's probably helped that I don't really want an NES Mini so I have no horse in this race, though if they do this poo poo with the Switch I'll probably get annoyed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Did rainbow six siege end up any good? I doubt I could ever run it and IIRC it is mostly based around multiplayer so it'll probably be dead by the time I could feasibly play it, but I liked the idea of being able to destroy the terrain and shoot and dig through walls and floors and ceilings and stuff

I think people were surprised by how good it is. It's not the kind of shooter that gets released these days so it built up a pretty devoted cult following.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really enjoyed Brotherhood just for being Assassin's Creed 2: This Time in Rome and that was a lot of fun. I wish Revelations was good--it had a cool setting which ended up being really beautiful (and my favorite UI design in the series) but man was it a boring game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

Watchdogs 2 is good actually

It looks like a good little toybox to play with and cause mayhem, if nothing else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV-Z50coY4Y

• Locked thread