Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

Cairns is gonna get completely hosed and no one cares.

it's not like they're going to vote for anyone other than the LNP so wh-oh wait

starkebn posted:

Barnaby mad (hah) so what

swatch card or it didn't happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

NPR Journalizard posted:

He is talking about industries that use large amounts of power, not the power industry itself.

I hope.

I chose to believe the stupider, more in-character answer.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/showdown-needed-with-the-violent-left/news-story/d76f69db5c709d1ea33f8c5978cc2a17

yikes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

uBlock Origin has prevented this page from loading.

Thanks, uBlock Origin.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol as if I would:

- Read a News Corpse article

- Especially a Herald Sun one

- And one written by Andrew Bolt

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Neo
Fascist
Radical
Left

What a poo poo writer

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Cleretic posted:

uBlock Origin has prevented this page from loading.

Thanks, uBlock Origin.

Andrew Bolt, Convicted Racist posted:

Victoria has developed a neo-fascist Left - masked protesters who violently confront political rallies by conservatives, Christians and the Right.

It's time a stand was made against this intimidation - and police can start with this planned protest against Pauline Hanson in Caulfield.

POLICE will be out in force in Caulfield this weekend, with hundreds of protesters set to rally at an upcoming One Nation event.

But the conservative Jewish lobbyist who has organised the event with One Nation senators Pauline Hanson and Malcolm Roberts, said he was working with police to ensure a safe and peaceful community forum.

IDF Training gym owner Avi Yemini confirmed the event’s location as Caulfield Park Bowling Club this Sunday, and he expected more than 150 people to attend...

Ms Hanson and Mr Roberts were invited to speak about Islamic immigration and other controversial topics such as changes to Freedom of Speech laws...

Victoria Police spokeswoman Danielle Fleeton said they have been working closely with event organisers of the public forum in Caulfield...

“Victoria Police is aware that similar events in the past have resulted in violence and would urge attendees to be aware and not bring vulnerable people or children.

I'd like the courts to get tougher, too. We can't have such people make others too scared to meet publicly.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The time will come when the 200 of rent a crowd are met with thousands at every counter demo and marched out of town. The law has allowed these people to shout and violently attack people with opposing views and people have had enough

Enough is enough

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
its me

im the "neo-fascist left"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TheIllestVillain posted:

its me

im the "neo-fascist left"

I'm the radical neo-fascist left.

*kickflips skateboard*

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

neon-frangenisis: left

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Here's a picture of a neo-fascist radical left rally in Brisbane today. I'm in this picture

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
You reckon some nazis are going to be upset that Bolt is equating us leftards with fascists?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

honestly it's pretty laffo because they are just appropriating our language without understanding why we use it

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
I like your purple skirt Recoome, looks really nice with your yellow top!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You reckon some nazis are going to be upset that Bolt is equating us leftards with fascists?

Risky move to piss off his own fanbase like that.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

He is talking about industries that use large amounts of power, not the power industry itself.

I hope.

Maybe he's referring to Australia's powerful industries, like... Uh... Cattle and racism.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I love how the right uses fascist to mean "person who disagrees with me and is a bit rude about it"

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
those darn fascists, with their anti-authoritarianism and lack of patriotism.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Recoome posted:

Here's a picture of a neo-fascist radical left rally in Brisbane today. I'm in this picture

I spent a bit of time trying to pick Goons out of the crowd. It's hard these days.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It has to be the tall guy with the black v-neck, surely?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The goony guy with the blue hat, glasses, and neckbeard is how I imagine Anime Dave to look.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kafka Syrup posted:

I spent a bit of time trying to pick Goons out of the crowd. It's hard these days.

WHAT DO WANT
Star Citizen Refunds
WHEN DO WE WANT EM
Before our parents find out.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

WHAT DO WANT
Star Citizen Refunds
WHEN DO WE WANT EM
Before our parents find out.

fixed

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

WOW COLOUR ME SURPRISED

quote:

Law enforcement agencies are dramatically increasing their use of Opal card public transport data to track the movements of people in New South Wales, with approvals for data more than doubling this year.

Internal documents also reveal that police can be handed the information of “collateral cardholders”, or people who are not suspects, when their person of interest’s identity is unknown.

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear mister speaker

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Brandis gonna need more giant bookcase

George Brandis went on anti-Abbott book buying binge, expenses show

George Brandis has used taxpayer dollars to buy several books about the downfall of Tony Abbott, including The Short and Excruciatingly Embarrassing Reign of Captain Abbott.

The attorney general’s parliamentary expenses, released by the Department of Finance on Thursday, show he bought the books in January and February, just as parliament returned from its summer recess.

He also bought The Road to Ruin: How Tony Abbott and Peta Credlin Destroyed Their Own Government by Niki Savva and Credlin & Co: How the Abbott Government Destroyed Itself by Aaron Patrick.

Andrew P Street, the Fairfax columnist who wrote The Short and Excruciatingly Embarrassing Reign, said he was pleased to hear Brandis had bought the book (in which Brandis has a starring role).

“I’m thinking of hitting him up for a review on Goodreads,” Street told Guardian Australia. “He’d bring a good insider perspective to it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/dec/01/george-brandis-went-on-anti-abbott-book-buying-binge-expenses-show

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"how did this happen? How? How?"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
With all the noise over the backpack tax and ABCC stuff might have missed that we have gone (further) ex judicial

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-01/federal-governments-new-counter-terrorism-measures-pass-senate/8083494

quote:

Federal Government's new counter-terrorism measures pass the Senate By political reporter Henry Belot Posted yesterday at 2:24pm

The Federal Government has passed new counter-terrorism measures allowing convicted terrorists to be kept in jail once their sentences expire, should they be deemed a risk to society.

Key points:

Attorney-General can apply for an extension 12 months before a convicted terrorists sentence expires
George Brandis says courts will need to evaluate risks posed by prisoners by relying on admissible evidence
Other amendments ensure a prisoner can call on an expert of their choice to make a case in court
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called for Australia's terrorism laws to strengthened earlier this year after high-profile terror attacks in Orlando, Nice and Paris.

The legislation allows Attorney-General George Brandis to be able to apply for an extension 12 months before a sentence expires, rather than six months as originally proposed. The bill was shaped by 23 amendments proposed by the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security, led by Liberal MP Michael Sukkar. Senator Brandis told the Chamber that courts would need to evaluate the risks posed by prisoners by relying on admissible evidence, rather than legal definitions. "It could be always asserted that there is a reasonable doubt as to whether a prisoner convicted of a serious terrorism offence would be pose an unacceptable level of risk," he said. "The criminal standard of proof is in fact a very rigid standard and it is just not apt to apply to a decision that involves a degree of evaluation of this kind."

Other amendments ensure a prisoner can call on evidence from a relevant expert of their choice to make a case in court. The law will also exclude officers convicted of treason or those publishing recruitment material. A 10-year sunset clause with mandatory reviews has also been ensured.

'The rule of law must not be abandoned'

Law Council of Australia president Stuart Clark said he was pleased the Government had listened to experts and passed the bill with amendments. "The Federal Government and Parliament have a fundamental responsibility to mitigate the risk of terror attacks," he said. "However, the rule of law must not be abandoned in the process." Mr Clark said the Law Council was still concerned about threshold tests and how the safety of prisoners would be judged. "That said, this is a more balanced piece of legislation than was originally proposed earlier in the year," he said.

Civil liberties groups expressed concern about the proposed laws earlier this year claiming they were a distraction and window-dressing.

So now with some hastily bolted on amendments there is a semblance of due process attached. Just as well it can only happen to convicted terrorists (however that is defined) and your fate can only be decided by wise and decent persons such as George Brandis.

At what point to we rise up? This poo poo is getting deeper and deeper. All heil the glorious Wiemar republic constitutional monarchy! Of course I'm not Jewish Brown!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I detect at least a hint of sarcasm in this article:

quote:

The plan to help first home buyers ... without messing with negative gearing

The inquiry was sidelined in the election campaign but has been reopened and will report by Christmas. Which is where it gets fascinating. Turnbull and Morrison are genuinely concerned about the inability of ordinary Australians to buy houses and are open to ideas.

So long as they can stick to their stated positions that they won't change the capital gains and negative gearing rules, they would be more than happy to introduce changes that would hold back investors and reskew the housing market toward genuine buyers at more reasonable prices, returning the Liberal Party to its historical position of championing a home ownership rate that was the envy of the world.

Within the Coalition's housing work group Alexander has been tossing around an extraordinary scheme derived from the hearings that has the potential to guarantee it the next election.

It's in three parts: The first would require APRA to continually adjust the rules governing how easily banks could lend to investors, each month; just as the Reserve Bank adjusts interest rates each month. But rather than targeting consumer price inflation as the Reserve Bank does, APRA would target house price inflation. Too much – perhaps more than doubling every 10 years – and it would make it harder to lend to investors, too little and it would be more generous. Home price growth would become predictable rather than scary.

The second part would be to advantage genuine buyers. Right now they are required to pump 9.5 per cent of their wages into superannuation. Instead they could allocate that 9.5 per cent to pay off the principal (but not the interest) on home loans, meaning they probably wouldn't need deposits and could start buying early. The usual criticism of any measure that advantages first or genuine homebuyers is that it would push up prices leaving them no better off. But this wouldn't, because of the role of APRA in restraining loans to investors to restrain price rises. It would just tilt the market back towards owner-occupiers.

The super funds would be upset, especially the union-dominated default funds, but they are not the Coalition's concern. The money put into owner-occupied housing instead of super would buy those who chose to do it more security than could super. Which brings us to part three.

Because part of the homes would be owned as "superannuation", that part would count toward the pension means test, keeping a lid on the cost of the pension. And because steadily increasing home prices would be as good as guaranteed, those increases could be borrowed against to fund fortnightly payments in retirement. For someone who bought a house at 25 and then retired at 65, the payments would be big.

It's a genuinely innovative idea, and it needs a lot more discussion. But if Turnbull could pull it off, or something like it, he would stand a chance of becoming the greatest Australian prime minister since Menzies. That's why he is listening.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/alexanders-excellent-idea-how-to-wind-back-negative-gearing-and-give-us-houses-20161130-gt0o0d.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...201-gt1l96.html
Believe it or not, federal parliamentarians have little choice but to enact new security arrangements.

Few relish additional restrictions on public access to the parliament.

But how should leaders respond when security agencies warn that the national parliament (a) is a high value target for terrorists, and (b) remains dangerously vulnerable to attack?

With over 3000 permanent occupants and countless public visitors (around 100,000 school children visit the building annually), on top of the 226 politicians during sitting weeks, this is not simply a question of personal choice for MPs, but one of public safety.

The terrorist threat however, is no excuse for undue secrecy – despite it so often being used as such.

Denial of access to digital imaging of the proposed new fences and checkpoints etc on security grounds only raises suspicion and invites objection.

It is an unfortunate reality that the march of security measures tends to move in one direction only.

Yet in hindsight, given the brutal shock of September 2001 and many atrocities around the world since, Canberra's parliamentarians have been surprisingly reluctant to materially crimp public interaction around the national legislature.

Restrictions have come in increments, most being low profile, low impact.

This openness is admirable from an egalitarian standpoint, but could be viewed as criminal neglect following an attack, once it emerged that authorities had ignored repeated expert advice to improve security.

This right here, shows the oil and water relationship between the soaring ethos of representative democracy, and the crushing reality of modern terrorism.

And the Federal Parliament is its perfect embodiment: a legislature of the people, drawing its authority from the people, but now, increasingly, having to be walled off from those people.

Even the architecture highlights these incompatible realities.

Parliament House was designed specifically to allow Australians to walk over the heads of their representatives.

Its signature lawns represented the land itself sweeping up to the flag and yet over the politicians, reminding them daily that they serve the people rather than the other way around.

Kids roll down and joggers scale its slopes as the final gut-busting sprint to the upper barriers – the roof itself having been closed from external access since 2005.

Free access to these public lawns made a certain poetic sense in 1988. Less so now where fanatics view murderous rage as an end in itself and see their own deaths as central to the mission.

Would be better if they lived in some sort of barracks imo. Sealed off from the corrupting influence of the citizenry and ruling from a position of pure logic and rationality.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 2, 2016

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?
There was a quote in this thread lamenting over the lack of opportunity for violence against the nazis. The anti-fascists aren't exactly all angels.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bent Wookiee posted:

There was a quote in this thread lamenting over the lack of opportunity for violence against the nazis. The anti-fascists aren't exactly all angels.

If the answer isn't violence, then neither is your silence

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Bent Wookiee posted:

source your quotes

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Bent Wookiee posted:

Some of them aren't beating up nazis enough? Agreed, poor form. Pick up your game.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bent Wookiee posted:

:allears:

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
Holy poo poo im tired of neolibs crying about political correctness, or attacking the character of people instead of the message.

When they're argument fails, cry about cultural marxism taking over our schools!@& or being someone with a morality superiority complex (if thats even a thing)

venting

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bent Wookiee posted:

:qq: the truth is in the middle:qq:

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

You Am I posted:

If the answer isn't violence, then neither is your silence
This would be a snappy comeback if I was advocating against counter-protesting at all.

The post I was thinking of was this one - specifically this quote:

quote:

The heady days of getting an easy punch on with nazis are mostly gone, as police forces have adapted in the face of over a year of serious street action. I think VicPol are probably the most brutal, they started at a high baseline of brutality and have shown a consistent preference for capsicium foam, and now make sure they have a shitload of officers whenever there's likely to be action. The QLD police are pretty standard, but usually will deploy the SERT (SWAT) team whenever we show up anywhere (actually had the fully armed SERT team arrive at a peace marriage equality rally. lmao). WAPol are probably the shittiest regarding not letting the two groups fight, and usually allow Dennis Huts to get a swing in before intervening. No police force has used tear gas to my knowledge at this stage.

However, there is also this:

quote:

Generally speaking, now is one of the safest times to participate in street action. As long as you don't actually intend to have a punch on, and you really want to show support for a cause, you will probably get home safe. My first protest was the most hectic one I've been to, but outside of small groups of people shouting at me, it's fine.

On second reading, the whole thing is less violent-sounding than I remember, so I rescind my point. Apologies.

The point that I was attempting to make is that going intending to do violence is a good way to add credence to Bolt's (and others') poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Actually going to beat up nazis is good and caring what the gently caress Bolt says is bad.

• Locked thread