Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

starkebn posted:

sources needed

https://www.visitbrisbane.com.au

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

And there goes another one

What happens when the senate purges all the minority party members? wouldn't this piss off ONP and make them hostile?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Please don't tell me that fat yellow blob in the recent Leak cartoons is meant to be Penny Wong.

It's so loving ugly.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wonder how Turnbull will win the next election if there's a small army of disgruntled manufacturing workers causing poo poo and flipping tables?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Because the sun is setting on the British Empire and they can make their drugs elsewhere and pay 10c an hour.

Protectionism and Nationalisation is probably the only saviour of manufacturing in Australia. It won't happen though. They'll sell off Auspost to Telstra and give Qantas to Woolworths.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A piano was then dropped on him by accident. A clown car crashed into the piano. 12 out of the 76 clowns died trying to escape the car.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Is aimn good, worth bookmarking?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...022-gs8hk5.html

So what happens when we have no agriculture left? Manufacutring is gone and Agriculture is becoming an export market, does that mean that food in the store becomes a strange method of Australia importing from itself?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Some loving perspective please:

Australia:

Total area - 769 Million Hectare
Total Area under agriculture - 409 Million Hectare

:siren: "soars above 3 Million Hectare" :siren: To less than 1%

Got any good chain emails lately?

Well yeah, I still don't like Australia being a firesale country, it doesn't appear to have any long term benefits. With dumbasses like Barnaby Joyce in there's no real resistance to it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I don't trust the British either, agriculture should be nationalized and minimized to domestic demand and possibly capped to reduce methane emissions.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

Has there ever been a successful example of nationalised agriculture?

The Soviets produced a fuckload of grain and non-consumer perishable goods.The problem is at the time, Private farming took roughly 40% of all agricultural labor to produce only 26% of all output by value. Due to the food taxes, the food from private farms was extremely expensive and caused famine. I don't think the Soviets tried it with meats and dairy. The famines were mostly private farms that refused to be integrated into collectivism and therefore the goods got taxed to high heaven.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

anidav in stopped clock shocker

H-hey

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The gently caress am I hearing

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Renewable Energy causes drowned children??????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????

:suicide:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Good.

Goooood.

gently caress the LNP. gently caress the ALP too but they seem to be on their best behaviour recently so kudos to that until they agree to the welfare cuts.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

I wish Peter Duton would just go away :(

Sendng him to an island and locking him up is the safest option.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It is always darkest before the Don

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Then it becomes darker.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland Labor is a confusing mess.

They are also planning to do a state run Uber service.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidavitars are a Auspol Superpower.

Afterall, you have my FACE BRANDED ON YOU!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Australia is bad

Bigly bad.

Tories across the board will be looking at Trumpism and clapping.

I fear that all they have to do is take Campbell Newman's brain and put it in a loud orange apparatus and will create a Tory God who will smite us all.

Australia is next.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The American public elected him after Obama. There was no instability and no leadership tugowars.

All it took was yelling at the status quo until it exploded.

Loud conservative assholes are upon us. Abbott was an idiot but he is nothing compared to this toxic brand of conservatism. Tony Abbott is Mitt Romney levels and Trump proved there is a level below that and that level is electable.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A exhibit about the Great Barrier Reef is showing in Brisbane called "Wild State"

Ok here is the punchline

It is at the Queensland Museum and funded by BHP.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The best thing the Rust Belt could've hoped for is a Dem running on a platform of building solar panels in America for America but they hosed that up and will probably have to import it from Germany like we do because we also hosed up the renewable shift.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Because Hillary Clinton is a bad candidate.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Literally promise to build solar panels in the Rust Belt and it would be the opposite result.

Didn't happen.

Laughing my rear end off.

Someone post Kevin Rudd's piece on Trump that came out today it's behind a paywall.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Because it's more specific than Trumps vague promise to just "Bring it back"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I still can't get over more minorities voting for Trump. Romney didn't have nearly as toxic attitudes but 2% more latinos and 2% more African Americans voted for Trump than Romney.

I guess there's some stupid ones out there who believe a wall will keep out the bad hombres and putting law and order back on TV will save our cities.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Knorth posted:

Ooh, could be neat to get a stronger central/south american cultural presence here

Awwwwe mate. I love me some GYG tucker. Can't wait for more of em so I can order Butter Chicken maaaate.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Trump would abolish it

"What is Australia anyway? An island a Jebs! Does America really need more? We don't know what they're doing over there!" *airhorn*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

How could America elect a racist like Donald Trump?
*pays coffee club workers 7 dollars an hour and threatens to send them back home if they work too slow*
I just don't understand the systematic racism in America!
*does blackface on Hey Hey its Saturday*
It was just a joke you bloody yank!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Donald Trump's gift to Australia worth billions in the long run

As we sit in the foggy aftermath of one of history's most extraordinary elections one thing is clear enough – Australia just received an enormous shot of financial adrenalin. We are accidental collateral winners from the Republican victory in the US. Call it the Trump gift and it's worth billions.

Trump's policy centrepiece to spend $1 trillion to rebuild America's infrastructure signals a massive increase in demand for commodities like iron ore and coal, which Australia produces. And since declaring he was set to "fix our inner cities and rebuild our highways, bridges, tunnels, airports, schools, hospitals", the prices of these commodities have taken off like a rocket.

The price of Iron ore – our biggest export – has soared to almost US$75 a tonne which is almost double where it was at the start of the year. In the past few days since the days it has gained more than 8 per cent.

According to Australian government's budget papers, the effect in 2017/18 of a change in the iron ore price alone is huge, with every $US10 a tonne change impacting tax receipts by $3.9 billion and nominal GDP by $13.4 billion.

In the latest budget the Turnbull government had factored in a price of $US55 a tonne up from the previous forecast of $US39.

If these price levels are sustained it will a positive king-hit to the budget deficit.

Not in its wildest dreams would it had expected the current price levels.

Coal which had already risen steeply this year also got a fresh tail-wind and is up again strongly with the contract price more than doubling this year and the spot price moving into the stratosphere.

Until last week many of the best commodities experts were tipping the price of iron ore and coal would move down by the end of this calendar year and stay there in 2017.

The unexpected Trump victory has turned the expectations for commodities prices upside-down.

Even though Australia doesn't supply the US with coal and iron ore, the fact that the global demand for these commodities will rise thanks to Trump's big infrastructure plans, means the global prices will rise.

Just how much demand will grow is unclear at this stage so its expectations and sentiment in the futures markets that are responsible for the prices soaring. Further turbocharging the expectation of increased demand is the fact that China is also undertaking an infrastructure building program, One Belt, One Road, to boost its own economy.

The commodities bulls are predicting the two countries are now set to start of the mother of all infrastructure building competitions.

And in the space of only a few days since the US election the fear of a massive trade war between the two largest economies in the world appears to have eased significantly.

Realistically Trump's ability to turn back the clock on global trade would be limited if it resulted in huge price hikes for US consumers on goods that they have become accustomed to getting cheaply from China.

And even if Trump places imposed tariffs on goods imported from China, the response from the Middle Kingdom could be to further stimulate its own economy.

From an economic perspective there are some negatives for Australia not the least of which is having to ditch the Trans-Pacific Partnership which over time could have delivered new markets to our beef, wheat and dairy producers.

But these will be easily outweighed by the benefits of improvements in mineral commodity prices.

And for investors in Australian commodity companies the past few days has been a bonanza.

Fortescue Metals has risen from $5.22 to $6.17 over the past few days. BHP Billiton shareholders have seen the stock spike from $22 to around $25 and Rio Tinto is similarly strong.

:suicide:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Woolworth's head of buying Steve Donohue said it was impossible to blame the tough conditions faced by dairy farmers on the supermarket's own-brand milk, which sells for $1 a litre.

"Woolworths' own-brand milk accounts for just 3 per cent of Australia's total milk production, so 96 per cent of Australia's 9.6 billion litres of milk goes into other products," Mr Donohue said.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Rumour mill is telling me that the QLD LNP is seeking an Official Coalition Agreement with One Nation for the upcoming State Election next year

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Well the LNP isn't really linked federally anymore. The LNP is mostly the National Party.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

IT'S HAPPENING

Official Coalition Agreement!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ora Tzo posted:

What would that entail? Not selling a single public asset?

One Nation is hungry for recognition, doing so would make them "The" Third Party in QLD.

Internal polling is rumoured to be putting them at 20% Primary Vote at the next State Election, The LNP forming an Official Coalition Agreement with them pretty much means the LNP wins the next State Election.

Probably most Elections after it as well.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

But Queensland would become an uninhabitable wasteland.

E: Annastacia's compulsory preferential voting gambit not looking so clever now, the LNP and one nation could have killed each other off in three cornered contests, now they can combine to create an enormous monstrosity of gently caress.

Also a One Nation Member would have to be Deputy Premier in an LNP-ONP Government.

Meaning the clowns are coming.

This pretty much makes the ALP Govt a One Term Govt, they can't counter it because the QLD Greens vote isn't high enough.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland going back to a Joh one party dictatorship is concerning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Starshark posted:

We had an African 'gang problem' in Newcastle. Groups of suspicious-looking teenagers would be reported to the police. It usually turned out they were all from the same family and on their way to another family member's house.

But still. Packs of blacks. You gotta be on the lookout.

I've heard people in polls tell me ISIS is in Holland Park.

• Locked thread