Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

I'm pretty sure the point is that Clinton has a fairly significant amount of political experience over Trump, while Trump is just now getting into politics and wasn't even all that good at what he was doing before the election.

Saying the only thing she has over Trump is just not being him, is also erasing the fact that she does have her good points.

I mean, I'd rather drive an old junker than a unicycle with no seat, but I'd still prefer a car that excels as a car instead of only having the option between the junker or the unicycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose the thing you're mainly interested in in America is who gets put on the Supreme Court. I imagine you could've ended up with a situation where enough of the really hardcore Sanders people either didn't vote or voted for Trump (because they want to teach Clinton a lesson or because they're accelerationists or something; I think I've read that Susan Sarandon believes or did believe in something like that, which I suppose is fine when you're a multi-millionaire celebrity with an Academy Award, but probably rather less so if you're a poor immigrant or a Muslim or an LGBT person :shrug:) then voted for the True Progressive MessiahTM in 2020, only to find that they can't get anything done because now there's like six conservative judges on the Supreme Court and three liberal ones.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wheat Loaf posted:

<posts massive picture of Nigel Farage>
Well I mean, he's horrible and all, but giving him 1/650th representation in a parliament is a small price to pay for 90%+ of voters to have a say in government rather than the most popular ~30%.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

Well I mean, he's horrible and all, but giving him 1/650th representation in a parliament is a small price to pay for 90%+ of voters to have a say in government rather than the most popular ~30%.

That's true. The system does start looking a wee bit dodgy when UKIP can get four million votes or so and end up with one seat, while the SNP can get about two million votes and end up with 56 seats.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose the thing you're mainly interested in in America is who gets put on the Supreme Court. I imagine you could've ended up with a situation where enough of the really hardcore Sanders people either didn't vote or voted for Trump

Well lest you think I just massively hate Clinton out of hipsterish spite or something I also think the people you're describing are loving retarded and if they sink it for Clinton so they can be "principled" or whatever I'll never stop screaming.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Well lest you think I just massively hate Clinton out of hipsterish spite or something I also think the people you're describing are loving retarded and if they sink it for Clinton so they can be "principled" or whatever I'll never stop screaming.

I didn't mean to come across like I was accusing you. Sorry. :shobon:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose the thing you're mainly interested in in America is who gets put on the Supreme Court. I imagine you could've ended up with a situation where enough of the really hardcore Sanders people either didn't vote or voted for Trump (because they want to teach Clinton a lesson or because they're accelerationists or something; I think I've read that Susan Sarandon believes or did believe in something like that, which I suppose is fine when you're a multi-millionaire celebrity with an Academy Award, but probably rather less so if you're a poor immigrant or a Muslim or an LGBT person :shrug:) then voted for the True Progressive MessiahTM in 2020, only to find that they can't get anything done because now there's like six conservative judges on the Supreme Court and three liberal ones.

You can say stupid here.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't mean to come across like I was accusing you. Sorry. :shobon:

It's okay~! :)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's true. The system does start looking a wee bit dodgy when UKIP can get four million votes or so and end up with one seat, while the SNP can get about two million votes and end up with 56 seats.
It's intended that the system prioritises seats to electorates rather than popular vote so that you don't end up in a situation where, for example, a party may control virtually the whole of a country yet have half as much representation as another party that happens to do well in major centres of population but no better than second-best. Without that you'd have no representation at all outside of major cities, and you'd paradoxically have elected representatives in districts that couldn't represent.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

It's intended that the system prioritises seats to electorates rather than popular vote so that you don't end up in a situation where, for example, a party may control virtually the whole of a country yet have half as much representation as another party that does well in major centres of population but not well enough to actually win anything on their own. Without that you'd have no representation at all outside of major cities.

It made much more sense when the Lords could just buy seats in the Commons for their sons. :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I believe that there should be legislation banning "giant douche and turd sandwich" jokes is my newest political belief that came out of this election.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
As a segue into comics, I'm looking forward to Occupy Avengers tomorrow.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Anything with "Occupy" in the title seems rather...out of date.

Roth posted:

I believe that there should be legislation banning "giant douche and turd sandwich" jokes is my newest political belief that came out of this election.

How do you feel about Senator Daterape and incumbent President Douchbag?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

Anything with "Occupy" in the title seems rather...out of date.

How do you feel about Senator Daterape and incumbent President Douchbag?

Go away

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm sorry, I thought Family Guy references would be alright if they were from before it got bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Customer comes into store, browses for 20 minutes.

HOW THE HELL CAN THIS COMIC BE $XX

Rhyno pulls comic off the wall, looks up current pricing.

Well sir you're right. It's actually $XX + $25 now. So you should grab it at this price before I price it up.

YOU MUST THINK I'M A DUMBER gently caress THAN YOU IF THINK THAT WILL WORK.

Rhyno silently prices comic up $25, returns it to wall. Customer looks absolutely dumbfounded.

Rhyno wishes the customer a very good night as he leaves.

graded copy of Detective #871, first Snyder Batman story

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Rhyno, your store stories(storeies) are always such a delight. :allears:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I have been a bit surprised by as an outside observer is that nobody seems to have been making much of Clinton potentially being America's first female president. I would have thought that would have invited more commentary.
Fiction has delighted in doing female Presidents for so long precisely to trade on the novelty factor that it's simply lost all its novelty factor before we ever got a real one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Rhyno, your store stories(storeies) are always such a delight. :allears:

Preemptively being an rear end in a top hat never gets you what you want, I never understand why people think that's how you get a deal.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CapnAndy posted:

Fiction has delighted in doing female Presidents for so long precisely to trade on the novelty factor that it's simply lost all its novelty factor before we ever got a real one.

Every other country that matters has had female leaders, it is pretty wild to think about, in retrospect, how the USA is the last holdout.

Rhyno posted:

Preemptively being an rear end in a top hat never gets you what you want, I never understand why people think that's how you get a deal.

If assholes knew how not to be assholes there wouldn't be assholes. Their cursed.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

I'm sorry, I thought Family Guy references would be alright if they were from before it got bad.

If you can figure out some choice Family Guy jokes from before Seth McFarlane was born, by all means, post em.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
When was/is the Prez election story coming out?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Single Transferable Vote is the way and the truth and the life.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 2, 2016

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yo BSS I just moved halfway across the country to Sacramento, anybody know what the best LCBS in the area might be?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

When was/is the Prez election story coming out?

It's been hidden in the back of a Catwoman issue dropping tomorrow.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

It's been hidden in the back of a Catwoman issue dropping tomorrow.

Thanks!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Kleptocracy for the win. Gimme all your money, plebs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Batman Return of the Caped Crusaders is completely batshit in the best way possible. The only issues is no mustache and the animation doesn't feel right.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

Kleptocracy for the win. Gimme all your money, plebs.

Well, then you wouldn't be stealing anything, they'd be giving it to you. But hey, taxes, theft, what's the difference??? :rimshot:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you're asking for stuff in a kleptocracy you're bottom tier scrub

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Single Transferable Vote is the way and the truth and the life.

We have that in Northern Ireland.

Unfortunately, we don't have any good parties to vote for.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

We have that in Northern Ireland.

Unfortunately, we don't have any good parties to vote for.

Sounds like it's time for Wheat Loaf to run for office!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As a DC resident, I'm glad the Obamas are planning on sticking around for a bit after January. They've really added a lot to the city in a way that the Bushes did not. (The Bush girls added some fun stories of drunken craziness, but that's not really the same.) I'm not sure the Clintons will be the same, and the Trumps definitely would not be.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Trump just gave you a luxury hotel because he cares about the working class.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

Every other country that matters has had female leaders, it is pretty wild to think about, in retrospect, how the USA is the last holdout.

Canada doesn't count. Our only female Prime Minister so far lasted two months.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

So far our only female president has lasted zero months, so that's still ahead.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You've had the same female leader for 64 years, actually??

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Ghostlight posted:

You've had the same female leader for 64 years, actually??

I did specify Prime Minister. There is no head of state less important that Canada's head of state.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Trump just gave you a luxury hotel because he cares about the working class.
This is true. We love our $20 tater tots and $16 hipster fries, at Benjamin, named for DC's favorite son, Benjamin Franklin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

And wasn't elected by the general public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

This is true. We love our $20 tater tots and $16 hipster fries, at Benjamin, named for DC's favorite son, Benjamin Franklin.

Haha. Is that at the hotel?

• Locked thread