Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Haha. Is that at the hotel?

Yep.

http://dc.eater.com/2016/9/13/12903248/trump-hotel-lounge-menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I decided to go my local comic shop for what is only the second time to buy my cousin something for her birthday since she's a big nerd.

Found an empty building.

Which surprised me since the place has been there for 25+ years.

Thankfully there was a WE'VE MOVED sign instead of a WE'VE CLOSED sign. They've got a spot in the mall now.

I picked up Ms. Marvel Vol. 1 and Star Wars Vol. 1. for her.

I was a bit surprised with how small the actual comic book section of the store was. A lot of memorabilia and clothing and stuff.

edit: I'd how large comic books were.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 2, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your Local Funko Pop Store which sometimes also sells comics.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Your Local Funko Pop Store which sometimes also sells comics.

Pusheen the Cat shirts right next to that Funko Pop display!

Newbury Comics is a towering juggernaut compared to other comic shops though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Funko Pops are some of the ugliest collectibles I've ever seen.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Pusheen the Cat shirts right next to that Funko Pop display!

Newbury Comics is a towering juggernaut compared to other comic shops though.

oh my god i never knew there was so much pusheen merch!

so long paycheck! :kimchi:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Roth posted:

Funko Pops are some of the ugliest collectibles I've ever seen.

I dig their universal monsters set. It was inexpensive when generally monster stuff seems to cost more (at least here). But I agree, the human characters look horrible in that style. Monster/alien stuff is ok.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Funko Pops look terrible and apparently they've completely swallowed the collectibles market whole, so I keep on reading articles from people worried that if and when the Funko Pop fad passes the entire collectibles market will basically go down with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Funko Pops look terrible and apparently they've completely swallowed the collectibles market whole, so I keep on reading articles from people worried that if and when the Funko Pop fad passes the entire collectibles market will basically go down with it.

We sell like 50 of them a week. It's out of control.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

We sell like 50 of them a week. It's out of control.

Are they like, the new beanie babies?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Are they like, the new beanie babies?

They've outlasted BB. The thing with Funko, they keep getting more and more licenses so the line keeps appealing to more and more people. Look up the newly released TWD Negan figure, it's already triple retail and will probably hit $50 by mid month.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I thought my LCS owner had lost his mind when he took down a giant portion of his wall that had shirts and other apparel that apparently sold really well and replaced it with a huge display of maybe 300-400 Funko Pops. Within 2 weeks he had sold most of them and was just waiting for a restock. I was flabbergasted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pop Vinyls outsell pretty much every other toy line we carry. And our margins on them are fantastic so they're super profitable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed this:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
All right, fine, I'll be the brave one and admit I buy Pops (there's no loving way I'm alone in this, fuckers).

I don't collect them all or anything because that'd be insane, and financially ruinous, and I don't like them all, but they trend towards cute and if one makes me happy I buy it. It's usually villains, because c'mon look at this guy.

Teeny cute Voldemort just cannot deal with this Harry Potter bullshit any more, he's had it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have Green Arrow and (Not Black) Canary from the Arrow set because I collect things of those 2 characters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd consider the Golden Girls ones. That's it!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have collections of things but I've never really gotten into "collecting" if that makes any sense.

E.g. My collection of DVDs is a by-product of my enjoying movies, not because my hobby is collecting DVDs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I own a single Superman POP because it was free.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I bought the Baby Groot pop for one of my friend's birthdays.

It's just so cute :kimchi:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

My wife has walls of Pops. She buys 90% of the ones we own (there are some I own) and she subscribed to the marvel/funko box so that's just bi monthly Pops coming in.

We have some that ebay decently but I've never been a speculator so even if I could get her to part with them, I probably would never sell them.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I've got a few. Of all the poo poo on my desk those are probably not coming with me when I move, but maybe Jace can come along.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

My wife has walls of Pops. She buys 90% of the ones we own (there are some I own) and she subscribed to the marvel/funko box so that's just bi monthly Pops coming in.

We have some that ebay decently but I've never been a speculator so even if I could get her to part with them, I probably would never sell them.

I saw that now there's a Pops only subscription box.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I saw that now there's a Pops only subscription box.

The most nasty vile people I've ever come across are funko collectors/speculators at SDCC. They would push over their own grandmother if they thought it would get them in line. This year they had a pop up shop and we decided to check it out one afternoon. And by afternoon I mean 12:30. They opened at 10, had already sold out of the day's supply and there was literally a line that had already formed for the next day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like pops and have a bunch but I only get ones that are identifiable. poo poo like Hoth gear Han solo are right the gently caress out

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Endless Mike posted:

I like pops and have a bunch but I only get ones that are identifiable. poo poo like Hoth gear Han solo are right the gently caress out

That's not identifiable?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I get tempted to buy pops every time I see them. "Green Ranger! Megaman! Doctor Strange! Ultimate Warrior! Batman! Trunks!" That's how I know it'll never loving end. I'd rather spend that money on comic books and weed.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
For awhile I was collecting "cutey" version of mass-murderers from comics so as part of that (along with Superhero Squad, etc.) I have what I assumed were Funko Pops of Galactus and Thanos, but apparently they're Mighty Muggs?

What's the difference? Did I make a bad investment in the things I bought to put on the shelf above my bourbon?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Muggs basically (literally? are they still around?) dropped off the map when Pops showed up at a much lower price that got a lot of the former MM licensors to sign on. I remember MMs being a thing briefly because their generic shape led to some people making a small business "customizing" them for you (read: bootlegging them into other characters you wanted)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The fact that I purchased mine on clearance at Target might have been a sign they were not the Hot Collectible and Investment of 2010.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mighty Muggs are larger, more round than the mostly square Pops, and their details are printed on instead of molded.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I collect some action figures and Transformers, but I have yet to buy a single Funko Pop. But I'm a Blue Beetle (Ted) and Booster Gold completist, so I'd be thrilled if they ever made them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I collect some action figures and Transformers, but I have yet to buy a single Funko Pop. But I'm a Blue Beetle (Ted) and Booster Gold completist, so I'd be thrilled if they ever made them.

I think this would be where I also crossed the line.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Chaos Hippy posted:

That's not identifiable?
Ehhh, it's recognizable as Hoth Gear but c'mon, you tell me if this is Han or Luke or a generic Rebel or what without the box.

Which reminded me of this, which I defy anyone to identify without the box:

Snow gear Han Solo from Force Awakens but come the gently caress on, that's an old man in a blue shirt. But it came in a Loot Crate so he was worth decent money for about a hot second.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he's got his iconic gun, the luke hoth figure is probably identical except it's holding a lightsaber

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I was going to say, the blaster alone means that's clearly Han.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Pshhh, Pops are super easy to identify what they're supposed to be without a box. One glance and you should know exactly who this is sans box.

It's John Oliver, duh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Here is how I feel any time I see a Pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkdNYYzbtVc

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, that's creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

i voted trump so dc would quit making characters gay