Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

gently caress that, the outdoors is where all the jerks are.
But that's where I am-ohhhhhhnooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

They can't be outdoors if they keep trolling comments sections and online forums.

It's 2016 and we have smartphones. You can easily troll from a nice park bench or even on the side of a mountain!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

It's 2016 and we have smartphones. You can easily troll from a nice park bench or even on the side of a mountain!

I refuse to believe that they aren't still living in the parent's basement where they post from a chair that they haven't left for the last 23 hours, finishing their 3rd big bag of cheetos.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am thankful to my ridiculously generous grandmother, who one afternoon when she picked me up from school drove me round every newsagent we could think of looking for the new copy of the Star Wars comic and when we finally found one, asked the newsagent to reserve a copy for me every month, which she picked up and left in with me whenever she went to do her groceries.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

WickedHate posted:

Hey everyone. I think I'm gonna log out and take a break from posting for awhile, maybe a week or two, or all through December. I like SA but sometimes it's just really stressful and makes me feel worse than I usually do so I need to like, step back and calm down and stuff. Merry early Christmas BSS.

get some pills. they are good

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I don't remember who got me into comics, because it basically goes back to infancy. So I guess I'm thankful to Superman for being my favourite since before I was even born.

And to my best friend for getting me into actually buying comics semiregularly as a cranky adult, and also got me into SA.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think He-Man got me into comics. So thanks, Mattel merchandising arm.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thanks to my dad taking me to his company's weird thing where little kids get free books and toys, for introducing me to Spider-man Canadian PSA comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

I think He-Man got me into comics. So thanks, Mattel merchandising arm.

Same. Those mini comics were the poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It was probably Tintin books from my Grandma that first got me into comics, from there it was Captain America fights a guy who gives kids Asthma, then a paperback collection of The Return of Superman and straight into the Spider-Man Clone Saga. Jesus Christ, aside from Tintin I read a lot of terrible comics as a kid.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'd like to thank scary comic book covers for traumatizing my childhood. I didn't even buy a lot of comics but the covers to Knightfall and A Death in the Family really terrified me.

For some reason I wouldn't stop reading them, though. I think it was an issue of Grant Morrison's JLA that really made me a fan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm trying to find something and am having to go through 10-year old emails, I can't handle this time travel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archie stuff was definitely my first comics. From there it was just a friend taking me to a comic store in 3rd grade where I picked up some random things with cool covers.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I discovered Marvel was making Star Wars comics and found this subforum too.

Down the rabbit hole I went.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 22, 2016

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
My mum bought me The Beano every week for god knows how many years. I had a few Batman the animated series comics as I loved the cartoon but it was my mum and the Beano that really embedded my love of comics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My parents were both teachers, and they taught me to read when I was two years old. We took weekly trips to the library and filled huge canvas tote bags with books every time, which I tore through. My dad was also a voracious reader and was always trading in books and gun magazines at the many used bookstores that used to be around, and he would bring me home Richie Rich comics by the armload.

I also loved Peanuts in the newspaper, and I lived for Super Friends, the '60s Marvel cartoons (especially '67 Spider-Man with its jazz score), Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, and the '60s Batman show, so it became a no-brainer to encourage me to read more by getting me more comics. The first non-Richie Rich comic I ever asked for myself was Transformers #5, with the infamous "The Transformers ARE ALL DEAD" cover with Shockwave, and my mom was worried it would be too scary. Before long, I was devouring DC Who's Who and Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Deluxe Edition, immersing myself in the history and backstories of characters, and by 1985, I was a comic fan and nerd for life.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Asterix & Obelix, Lucky Luke and later all the Donald Duck stuff (the Italian comics mostly, since it was contemporary and easy to get, later Carl Barks and Don Rosa) was my comic history. Then basically 20 years nothing outside of webcomics and Calvin & Hobbes and Farside.
Started with Superhero stuff only around N52. Pretty quickly N52 was mostly horseshit and I jumped over to Marvel.

Decius fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 22, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I forgot about Tintin and Asterix. My folks used to take me to the local library branch and I would always take at Asterix and Tintin comics. Because it was a small branch they didn't have many titles so I usually read the same ones over and over again (not to the point where the covers came off though).
Also, lol at the He-Man comics. I remember getting the toys and asking my grandmother to read me the comics.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Starsnostars posted:

My mum bought me The Beano every week for god knows how many years. I had a few Batman the animated series comics as I loved the cartoon but it was my mum and the Beano that really embedded my love of comics.
Yeah I was reared on the Beano and the Dandy, and other stuff like Asterix and Tintin. I didn't start reading superhero comics until years later when the first X-Men film came out. So I guess I have my parents to thank for encouraging me to read both comic and non-comic books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, I was into the Beano and the Dandy as well, but the first comic I was really big into and made a point of getting every fortnight was Sonic the Comic.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Oh yeah, the UK Sonic the Comic was pretty rad. I wish I'd kept my old issues of it.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I had quite a few of those UK Sonic comics too, until my cat got into my comic box and ripped them all up. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mine just fell apart as time went by. :(

Years later, I obtained a complete set online via :filez: and I think they still held up, and it gave me a whole new appreciation for Lew Stringer's stories.

I got into them around the time they started going full reprint, but I thought they were all new stories because I hadn't read them the first time they'd been printed. :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My parents got me every Calvin and Hobbes book as they came out during the book sales at elementary school, so i guess i can thank them for that

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first comic I ever read was this weird little digest book of early Hulk stories that my parents had for some reason.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
I think mine was a collection of the Spider Man/X-Men book where they were captured by Arcade that I found in the Scholastic Book Catalog. I remember thinking it was so cool there was a comic book adaptation of the SNES game.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I started reading comics in the mid 2000s when I noticed a small rack of comics in this military base grocery store my parents went to. They only really had a few Star Wars comics Dark Horse was publishing, and the more popular DC and Marvel comics, but I recall the first comic I bought was an issue of Star Wars: Empire where some Imperials went to an alien planet and had to desperately survive attacks by the native population.

I just started reading whatever from there, mostly DC and Star Wars, eventually started getting trades around the time The Dark Knight came out, read Watchmen because the trailer looked cool, then stopped sometime in High School. Not too proud to admit but attempts to get back into comics since then were often through piracy, but this year I started buying single issues again, and now comics are fun again.

It was this issue of Star Wars: Empire too

I got it because I thought the cover was cool

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Empire was a bit hit or miss compared with Republic but that was a good story.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pretty sure it's somewhere in my closet along with the other two parts of that arc. I should reread it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Richie Rich! But as I grew older, I turned to edgier, more mature comics geared at teenagers, such as Archie.

I'd tried reading some Marvel and DC books and couldn't understand them--their stories, that is. Around college my curiosity was piqued by Powers, whose concept I liked, and my interest in Marvel spiked after I ended up in a rabbit hole of Googling trying to figure out all the references in 1602, which I got on account of it being written by Gaiman and my having read all of Sandman in high school.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read a toooon of Archie comics as a kid. My little brother, who was 3 years younger than me, actually learned how to read by reading Archie comics. I loved that stuff.

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks to my dad taking me to his company's weird thing where little kids get free books and toys, for introducing me to Spider-man Canadian PSA comics.

Also this. Go Canada!

I also read lots of Tintin, Asterix, Lucky Luke, and other bande dessinées, and all the Elfquest that the library could get a hold of (pretty much all of it). Elfquest was particularly important. I re-read Elfquest a year or two ago and upon reflection I think that the sexual politics from that book massively informed my own attitudes towards sex, romance, and monogamy.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Hey. Hey guys. I bet you'll be real shocked what my first comic was.

(It was an early issue of Static.)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

My cousins used to buy tons of comics and just leave them shoved in drawers at my Grandparent's house or at our family's lake cabin so the first comic I remember reading was Uncanny X-Men #95 (the death of Thunderbird and the X-Men fighting Count Nefaria and the Ani-Men). But there were probably hundreds of other comics that I flipped through before I could really read them myself. Lots of Silver Age Legion of Superheroes I know for sure and a ton of those weird Superman-As-A-TV-Reporter era books (including a story where Solomon Grundy shows up from Earth 2 looking for the Earth 1 Grundy to finally have a friend and Superman, in a bit of hilarious Superdickery, disguises himself as a Grundy, lures the real Grundy to the moon and just leaves him there).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I found a discarded tpb of Elfquest circa 1988.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I read Asterix and Tintin a lot as a kid, obviously, and my grandad used to get my Ducktales comics that the newsagent was getting rid of (I think? they had their covers ripped). After that I didn't really read any comics until some time in the mid 2000s when the movies really started taking off again. I started with Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns and got a few more (Sin City, Red Son, etc), but it wasn't til the last few years that I really dived in with Morrison's Batman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Original (rejected) cover of the president-elect's first book:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

Thanksgiving is coming up soon (or as we call it up here in Canada "Yanksgiving") and with all the poo poo going on in the world and such I figured maybe it would be nice to give thanks to something, and this being a comic book forum I figured I would try make it comicbook related, so I pose the following question to you goons, who are you thankful to for getting you addicted to the world of comicbooks? Who would you like to thank for setting you on this terrible wondrous path?

For me, it would have to be my brother who got me reading comics at a young age by first showing me his Archie comics (while explaining the Archie - Betty - Veronica dynamics) and then let me read all his Batman comics repeatedly so until the covers came off; to my dad for his extensive Mad Magazine collection from years past; and to Saul, the brother of my brother's friend, who let me read his Sandman stuff, and his copy of Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns and such who showed me that there was a world of comics outside of simple Batman and archie tales.
To them I say thanks for getting me to develop an expensive habit, one that I have enjoyed for over 20 years.

My dad, and to a lesser extent, the creators of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yanksgiving is what I call the evening after Thanksgiving.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm celebrating Danksgiving this year. Possibly Spanksgiving depending on how my lady is feeling that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Rhyno posted:

Same. Those mini comics were the poo poo.

And Atari Force.

• Locked thread