Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Politics freak me the gently caress out and make me really anxious, so I'll be happy when Hilary wins and I can stop worrying about the faint possibility of President Trump.

"When"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. I'm not as clued-in about American politics but I'm reluctant to count chickens before they hatch. :shrug:

One thing I have been a bit surprised by as an outside observer is that nobody seems to have been making much of Clinton potentially being America's first female president. I would have thought that would have invited more commentary. I suppose it's because Clinton has been involved in politics for a long time, so she doesn't seem as "fresh" as Obama did when he won.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the vice-president guy Clinton has. I don't really know much about what he's for or what he's against, but he seems pleasant in a way that makes it feel irrelevant. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

It's actually a major advantage over the American system because it enables viable third-party voting and small single-issue parties to come to the table.

<posts massive picture of Nigel Farage>

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose the thing you're mainly interested in in America is who gets put on the Supreme Court. I imagine you could've ended up with a situation where enough of the really hardcore Sanders people either didn't vote or voted for Trump (because they want to teach Clinton a lesson or because they're accelerationists or something; I think I've read that Susan Sarandon believes or did believe in something like that, which I suppose is fine when you're a multi-millionaire celebrity with an Academy Award, but probably rather less so if you're a poor immigrant or a Muslim or an LGBT person :shrug:) then voted for the True Progressive MessiahTM in 2020, only to find that they can't get anything done because now there's like six conservative judges on the Supreme Court and three liberal ones.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

Well I mean, he's horrible and all, but giving him 1/650th representation in a parliament is a small price to pay for 90%+ of voters to have a say in government rather than the most popular ~30%.

That's true. The system does start looking a wee bit dodgy when UKIP can get four million votes or so and end up with one seat, while the SNP can get about two million votes and end up with 56 seats.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Well lest you think I just massively hate Clinton out of hipsterish spite or something I also think the people you're describing are loving retarded and if they sink it for Clinton so they can be "principled" or whatever I'll never stop screaming.

I didn't mean to come across like I was accusing you. Sorry. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

It's intended that the system prioritises seats to electorates rather than popular vote so that you don't end up in a situation where, for example, a party may control virtually the whole of a country yet have half as much representation as another party that does well in major centres of population but not well enough to actually win anything on their own. Without that you'd have no representation at all outside of major cities.

It made much more sense when the Lords could just buy seats in the Commons for their sons. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Single Transferable Vote is the way and the truth and the life.

We have that in Northern Ireland.

Unfortunately, we don't have any good parties to vote for.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed this:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have collections of things but I've never really gotten into "collecting" if that makes any sense.

E.g. My collection of DVDs is a by-product of my enjoying movies, not because my hobby is collecting DVDs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if* Trump loses he'll refuse to concede, declare himself president, remodel one of his hotels into a White House and spend the next four years issuing executive orders,

Sad thing is, I could see people taking him seriously (whether because they believe him saying it's rigged or whatever).

* Again, I don't want to hatchet any counts before they chicken.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Even if Trump refuses to concede when he loses the general electorate will fail to give the slightest poo poo and move on. Gore couldn't even make a go of it when he had a legit claim and the election was decided by a couple thousand people in Florida and a bunch of GHWB flunkies, Trump is gonna lose definitively and embarrassingly to the point where nobody outside of his dumb as hell followers will take him seriously.

That election was Gore's to lose but he couldn't even win his home state. If he'd won Tennessee he'd have won the whole thing regardless which way Florida went. His big mistake was declining Clinton's offer to campaign for him, because Clinton's approval ratings were high even in spite of everything.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 8, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Turns out I was right back on page one of this thread then. :(

Disappointing outcome but the one I expected. Sorry everyone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

Now to just hope that he's too incompetent to actually do anything.

I imagine Pence lol be doing most of the actual governing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am thankful to my ridiculously generous grandmother, who one afternoon when she picked me up from school drove me round every newsagent we could think of looking for the new copy of the Star Wars comic and when we finally found one, asked the newsagent to reserve a copy for me every month, which she picked up and left in with me whenever she went to do her groceries.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, I was into the Beano and the Dandy as well, but the first comic I was really big into and made a point of getting every fortnight was Sonic the Comic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mine just fell apart as time went by. :(

Years later, I obtained a complete set online via :filez: and I think they still held up, and it gave me a whole new appreciation for Lew Stringer's stories.

I got into them around the time they started going full reprint, but I thought they were all new stories because I hadn't read them the first time they'd been printed. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Empire was a bit hit or miss compared with Republic but that was a good story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Original (rejected) cover of the president-elect's first book:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed Spader Ultron a lot but reading the comics I always imagined him sounding like either Cobra Commander or some kind of robot version of Clancy Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the general opinion is that the Avengers movies are "so epic". :v:

• Locked thread