Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

<walks in>

Oh, you've done up the place. I don't like it.

Oh, are we doing these now?

Where are the round things? I love the round things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey; Big Finish just released the 2nd set of Third Doctor Adventures with Tim Treloar.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The next Early Adventure came out today. Yay.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

Also, in watching Logopolis I realized that if the universe were infinite, there would be an infinite number of universe-ending evil geniuses ending the universe at any given moment.

Thankfully tempered by an infinite number of daring heroes stopping all those evil plans!

EDIT: Massive 8th Doctor sale today. EDAs are $5, main range stories are $5. Dark Eyes and Doom Coalition sets are $20

jivjov fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 11, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I discovered a vaccine for Big Finish sales.... own everything already!

:negative:

I got that particular injection yesterday. I really shouldn't have because now I'm out of money to donate to Desert Bus :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Three years ago today...

"I'm a doctor, but probably not the one you were expecting."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Happy Birthday to Paul McGann, Happy Regeneration day to 8!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is it just me or does Jo look really badly composited in to that image?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Blurays are region free, I think...?

Not quite; there are fewer regions than DVDs, and its generally easier to find a different region BR player. But there are still 3 different regions of discs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Big Finish is kicking off 4 consecutive 24 hour monster sales. Today is Black Dalek Friday. Highlights include discounts on all 4 series of Dalek Empire, 5 Main Range Dalek stories, the 3 Dalek stage play adaptations, and the super cheap Dalek focused Bonus release.

The next three days will be Sontarans (Small Business Sontarans?), Ice Warriors (no idea what pithy name Sunday gets), and finally Cybermen (the oh-so-obvious Cyber Monday)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Wow, Geoffrey Bayldon is brilliant as the Doctor that never left Gallifrey in Auld Mortality . Channels Hartnell better than just about anyone else I've heard.

Oh hey, I quite literally just listened to this one too! I really enjoyed it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Happy Sontaran Saturday everyone! This one is a bit lower key than the Dalek sale, but they've got three Main Range titles, one Lost Story (although this one was a Listener's Title a month or two ago for even cheaper), one Fourth Doctor adventure, and a plug for the already-running sale on Jago & Litefoot & Strax.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
UNIT Silenced just made me laugh out loud. Not spoilerly in terms of the story, but I'll tag it for those who don't want it spoiled. "Research can be duplicated, Osgoods can't"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Six stories on sale for Ice Warrior Ssssssssssunday!

2 main range, 1 Companion Chronicle, 3 Lost Stories. $25 download bundle available.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Oh thank God, today the main range titles are ones I already own - I've already picked up 5 new titles so far this weekend.

I regrettably had to skip getting Dalek Empire, but other than that I've picked up everything so far. (I owned all but 2 of the Sontaran stories though).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We wrap up the week of sales with Cyber-Manday. Three main range, 2 4th Doctor, 1 Early Adventure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Weekend sale on Gallifrey. I'm honestly gonna pass on it...I don't want to be missing the first three series' from my library.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is that in Ireland?

Nah, its one of those new little countries...Kasterborous or something like that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That Tennant episode you saw was the first of 5 "special" episodes that served as season 4.5. You missed 4 episodes in there, including the regeneration into Smith

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pesky Splinter posted:

I wasn't expecting quite so many characters, nor the return of the Angels so soon after Classic Doctors New Monsters.
With the inclusion of Ollistra, I'm guessing they're going to use this to jump start their early Time War series thing they've been planning for a while.

I think the Time War set is a one-off, not a whole series (sadly). That said, I really hope the end of the set ties right into Night of the Doctor (ideally with just straight up "I'm a doctor...but probably not the one you're expecting" being the final line.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

greententacle posted:

For when you sit down on Christmas Eve/Day and marathon all the Christmas specials, I guess? :gonk:

I did that once. I can't remember exactly when it was; but it was sometime during Smith's run.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I am baffled by their assertion that if something comes later, it obviously can't be a continuation

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is anybody reading the Third Doctor miniseries from Titan Comics? The final-panel reveal of Issue #3 is absurd and phenomenal and I cannot wait to see where this is going. We thought we were seeing a 2nd/3rd Doctor team up...but its actually Ramon Salamander!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This weekend's Big Finish sale is on UNIT stuff; includes the old stuff with the Brig, Dominion, and the new series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Diary of River Song 2 is out early on download for the first day of Big Finishmas.

Well I know what I'm listening to as soon as I finish my annual re-listen of Chimes of Midnight

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

happyhippy posted:

You know what I found strange about that episode, how the Doctor wasn't trying to remove the gem from him the whole time.

If he was wary about Captain Jack being immortal, and Me with her immortality, he didn't give two shits about a guy who could control the universe if he wanted to.

Eh, none of his powers seemed temporal in nature. He may be powerful, but not a danger to the time vortex or anything

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

How is "The Exxilons?" It's on sale today, and I've never heard one of the Fourth Doctor Adventures.

Its been a while since I listened to that one; but I seem to remember it being pretty good. Plus it's got my personal favorite audio companion assortment.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A selection of Big Finish stuff on sale today. The first Early Adventure, Domain of the Voord, is down to $2.99 for BF's 12-days-of-post-christmas, and then Doom Coalition 4 is $20 and one of the Gwen Torchwood audios is $2.99 for those two receiving award nominations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The final 12 Days of Christmas offer from Big Finish is $2.99 for Mistfall, a 5th Doctor main range audio from January 2015.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Remember roughly a year ago Tom made one of his usual black humor comments about dying and everybody got worried he was gonna die? Well ol' Tom soldiers on :hellyeah:

Wasn't that a plug for that "Baker's End" audio play he's doing?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Doctory birthdays...Happy Birthday John Hurt! Everyone go buy the War Doctor audios, and preorder the 4th set coming out next month.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Grrr ... Got the Power of the Daleks DVD, and the spine doesn't match the rest of the releases.

Isn't it reversible?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

tsob posted:

I'm not a big Who fan and haven't watched the last few seasons, but I noticed earlier that Audible's Daily Deal has a Doctor Who book on offer, specifically Engines of War, a War Doctor book. Which I figured someone in this thread might appreciate at least knowing was on sale. I'm considering buying it myself, but has anyone here read/listened to it and have an opinion on it out of interest?

Also, related question, but are the Big Finish selection just audiobooks with one person reading the whole thing or akin to a radio drama with a small cast all reading different roles?

Re: Engines of War, its a pretty decent War Doctor story. I read the book shortly after it came out (probably a good thing too; I've been spoiled by Big Finish's releases for the War Doctor)

Re: Big Finish, they have a whole bunch of different lines of releases with a bunch of different presentation styles. The main range, and stuff like the 4th Doctor releases, 8th doctor boxes, etc are all full cast drama, with music and sfx. The Companion Chronicles are mostly all two-handers with one Companion actor and a second person voicing an ally or enemy. The Early Adventures are mostly full-cast, with narration bits instead of everything being in-character.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Briggs' 9 isn't great either.

Basically if he's not being modulated, Briggs isn't a great voice guy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well that's dammed depressing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm probably gonna cry listening to the last War Doctor set when it comes out in a couple weeks...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

At least we still have one more set to go, not to mention The Invisible Man

I do wonder if BF is going to delay or otherwise alter release plans. It may come off as a bit morbid to go "hey, here's a brand new release from a guy who just died" (especially since Invisible Man was slated for somewhere in the next 4 days)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My wife thought she only knew him as the War Doctor, but then I reminded her that he was Ollivander in Harry Potter too. She's a huge HP fan, but tends to lose actors behind the characters in that franchise.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

I was hoping for him to turn up in the 8th Doctor Time War set :sigh:

He still might. Some BF stuff is recorded a year+ in advance. If he was gonna cameo in the Time War box, they might have recorded it during his studio time for box 3 or 4

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gordon Shumway posted:

I think it's kind of crazy that everyone but Chris Eccleston has regenerated during a Christmas special since 2005. I know they want to make a big deal out of anybody's last episode, but it would feel so novel and almost be more interesting at this point if the regeneration came in a regular episode and where the stakes weren't the entire universe. Basically, Caves of Androzani.

So when does the speculation on the new Doctor begin?

10 regenerated at New Years, not during the Christmas episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This month's Listener's title from Big Finish is Robophobia. A sequel to a 4th doctor story, starring the 7th Doctor, and introducing a companion of the 8th Doctor.

It's good. For $2.99, pick it up.

• Locked thread