Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Bicyclops posted:

The first serial of Six is almost universally considered to be one of the worst and I don't disagree. The hosed up thing is that both Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant are actually pretty talented, they're just mostly given trash to work with on television. Early on in my time in these threads, I said that Colin was part of the problem, because I hadn't yet heard him do his take on the character for audio. The Six episodes are, I think, the hardest to get through. There's very little that isn't awkward, both companions make you want to scream in different ways, and it's like they decided to take some of the humor from the Tom Baker years and just make it awkward and insufferable.

Once you hit Seven (particularly once Ace comes in), things get a little better, I think.

I still can't get my head around the cognitive dissonance involved in going from Androzani Episode 4 to Twin Dilemma Episode 1. Has there ever been a more vast difference in quality between two consecutive episodes of a TV show, ever? It's like going from Aliens to Space Mutiny.or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

No no no, this is the real version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMpf1D3YohU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Davros1 posted:

I was terrified that the TVM was going to be something along the of Virgin's NAs, so I was greatly relieved that it was actually good!

If a series had been made along the lines of the NAs, every episode would be full of incredibly dated cyberpunk cliches, and every third or fourth one would be good but probably not quite as good when revisited twenty years later.

It has to be said, for all their attempts at edginess and dubiously "adult" material, none of the NAs are as remotely embarrassing as Torchwood.

Apart from the ones written by John Peel.

LordZoric posted:

I never knew those existed thankfully. I've been watching PopArena's reviews of them and :drat: talk about hit or miss. Mostly miss.

The first couple of years of NAs were really rough. No-one quite knew what age range to pitch them at (Children? Adults? Young Adults? Man-Children?), so tonally they're all over the shop. There's a few that are obviously just re-purposed TV ideas, but then a couple of them (I'm looking at you Peel, you dirty old man) feature an overtly-sexualised version of Ace(who is still supposed to be a teenager at this point), presented in a way that suggests the writers in question are typing her scenes one-handed. I do wonder if the decision to age-up the character was because the editors were aware of how potentially dodgy some of the stuff being done with her was.

Paul Cornell's first couple of books set the bar really high, but it took a while for the quality of the rest to catch up.

Maelstache fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 9, 2016

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Wheat Loaf posted:

And that was his first professionally-published, wasn't it? I think he'd had something publisher as the winning entry to a BBC writing contest, but aside from that, his NA books were the first "proper" things he'd done.

He'd had some short prose fiction published in DWM, but yeah.

It hasn't aged perfectly (it is very much a "I've got to include everything I've ever wanted to write about" first novel) but Revelation was the first to establish you could pretty much do anything in the context of a DW novel, you didn't just have to produce extended pastiches of TV stories.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Open Source Idiom posted:

Steve Lyons' Killing Ground. An MA, but published by Virgin back when they had the licence.

The sequence where she gets converted is pretty good -- she's so thrilled to become a Cyberman, but the conversion process removes her ability to appreciate what she's become.

Jesus, I had totally forgotten that one. Grim as gently caress, particularly that sequence you just described.

The only thing I remember about Real Time is the sheer absurdity of Stewart Lee being transformed into a Cyberman, and still sounding like Stewart Lee.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

TinTower posted:

From the spinoff series, I've found Clickbait: The Book:

Wow, I'm surprised they even bothered to commission a tie-in novel, given how little of a gently caress the BBC seems to give about the series.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, we don't really have a history of stuff like Class was aping, so there's no traditional place for it go in the schedule. The BBC used to air Buffy at like 5 in the afternoon (and Channel 4 tried to run Angel in a similar slot and ran afoul of the body-snatching demon date-rapist in like the second episode making it totally impossible to air without cutting the eps to shreds.)

It was commissioned for BBC3 before they axed the channel, that's why it's been consigned to graveyard shift/BBC iplayer limbo.

At one time BBC2 used to be the place for all those kinds of shows. Then it was reformatted as being "lifestyle/aspirational", so no more of that nerdy Star Trek poo poo allowed.

Angel was kind of a disaster on every terrestrial channel that broadcast it. I think by the time it had got an appropriate timeslot everyone who cared had already seen it either downloaded or on video/DVD, so it always bombed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was in HMV earlier today and they had a bunch of these "From the world of BBC TV's Doctor Who" DVDs like "The Mindgame Saga" (starring Sophie Aldred) and "Downtime" (starring Nicholas Courtney and Elisabeth Sladen). Are these old wilderness years fan-productions? How are they getting official-ish-looking home releases?

If we're talking about the BBV and Reeltime ones they had (un)official releases, but it was usually all mail order. I've never known any actual shops to carry them before now.

I've no idea of the rights issues of using characters like Sarah Jane and the Brigadier in unofficial things like this. It was never a problem when these came out because the BBC then didn't care about some two-bit fan production only a few hundred people would ever watch. They're a bit more protective of their "brand" now Dr Who is a big deal, so who knows.

I hope they've got Shakedown, that is hilarious trash.

• Locked thread