Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

IDGI. Does Cardiff just hate tourism revenue or something? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This is tre cool.

I mean, it's no Pip and Jane, but :downs:

Seriously though, Survival is pretty good and it's great to see an old school writer come back. Her favorite Doctors are 2 and 4, so that's another positive sign.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ms Boods posted:

Heh -- when I'm in London, I'm totally in 'off' mode -- it's where I go for a few days to wander and recharge and not think about my students. :)

That was me as a kid in the US -- I lived where a couple of PBS stations converged and were rivals when it came to which episodes of Doctor Who they could get hold of first (WWHY and WNJS for any old timer Mid-Atlantic folks who remember NJS), and I was excited to see that DW was also on WOR out of New York on our new fancy-schmacy cable box thing (you know, the kind with the 30 foot long 'remote control' cord and every channel had its own button -- pressing two at once got you some weird stuff).

Couldn't handle it -- WOR was an indie station that showed loads of old films, but I couldn't do Doctor Who with adverts, even back in the late '70s. I cannot imagine watching it on BBC America. The Horror Channel over here was running a couple of episodes every night for a while, but nope nope nope, also advert-beladen.

Pledge drives were bad enough...:argh: gently caress you NJS for showing all 10 episodes of "The War Games" mixed in with 20 minute+ long pledge drive breaks :argh: (are the Prydonians of Princeton still going?)

This is my preferred method for watching old Who, though finding those edits is probably next to impossible nowadays. They'd cut all the rehashes of the last episode cliffhangers so it was one long 90 minute or so story.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's about drat time! We knew the Doctor had encountered them before, so it's good that Big Finish is finally showing us when.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Aw man, 2016 keeps taking. Adric died.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

The greatest thing to come out of the TV Movie is gone, as well, as unsung hero, CGI Snake, has cruelly had his credit removed from The Master's Wikipedia page.

The Time War strikes again! :argh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Somewhere out there, Nick Briggs is seeing this and saying "whelp, if Steven's not gonna do it..."

:getin:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Briggs: Hello Peter, look I've thought long and hard about this and I've finally come up with what I think is a winning strategy to convince you to sign on to do some Doctor Who audios-
Capaldi: You do Doctor Who audios? Sign me up! :neckbeard:

Pfft, please, like he's not already a subscriber. :rolleyes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

I decided to go ahead and pick up The Sontarans. It's pretty neat so far! This is my first dip into the Early Adventures line (I grabbed the first series when they were on sale earlier this year but they're still pretty deep down the Big Finish pile :sweatdrop:) and the mixed narration/full-cast format makes the story feel like it fits right in with the others of its era in terms of stylistic similarity to the soundtrack-with-linking-narration releases of the missing episodes. There have been sequences I couldn't really picture making it into the show as aired in the 60s, but Peter Purves narrating a full cast performance with music and foley makes it feel right at home alongside the likes of The Mythmakers or The Daleks' Master Plan (which this of course takes part in the middle of).

I think this is the most effective the Sontarans have ever been. They were surprisingly competent in their appearance in the third War Doctor set earlier this year, but they have a really imposing, menacing presence in this story that I don't really think they've had anywhere else.

If you've never heard any of the Peter Purves Missing/Early Adventures, then this is just the beginning for you. His Hartnell is bar none the best, right up there with Frazier's Troughton. He's done a ton of great stories and it's like your in 1965.

Should have known! "BIG FINISH DID IT" is like "SIMPSONS DID IT" at this point!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Really surprised at all of the haters. As Christmas episodes go, it was one of the better ones IMO (though there wasn't much Christmassy about it).'

The Superman pastiches were homages and funny/clever for what they were supposed to be.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lucas was the part I was most expecting to dislike in this episode (because even though I like Matt Lucas, his character was really annoying last year) but he ended up being one of the highlights for me.

Same. I've gone from skeptical to totally on board with Matt Lucas for next season.

echoplex posted:

As if I couldn't love Peter any more.

What's even cooler is that he's not just an actor working on the piece appreciating it, he's a super mega nerdfan so it's extra legit.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Probably turned them down when he saw the letter from Sydney or Verity addressed to "Mr. Paul Anderson." :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well he's no Handles, but he's showing a lot of promise!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

ThaGhettoJew posted:

THE DO YOU NOT WANT TEA PAR-TY IS A GRASS-ROOTS CAM-PAIGN! THE A-MER-I-CAN EM-PIRE WILL NOT BE UND-ER-MINED BY SOC-IAL ME-DI-A FAL-A-CIES! THE PUR-I-TY OF THE PAR-TY'S GEE-OH-TEE O-PIN-IONS WILL BE RIG-OR-OUS-LY EN-FORCED!

EX-TER-MIN- LIKE AND DO-NATE! LIKE AND DO-NATE!

Did somebody say Dalek Tea Party?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZVCj2gaerk

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It still blows my mind that I can see scads of Doctor Who merch in stores all over malls in the US and in toy stores, something which would have been impossible 30 years ago even when it was run of the mill in the UK, and yet none of that money can go back into the show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What are the benefits if Doctor Who stays fully under the control of a govt broadcasting company?

Surely not protection from cancellation due to ratings, as that didn't help in the 80s.

Revenue from it going to fund other BBC productions? But that wasn't why it was revived, in fact there was no guarantee whatsover when it was brought back it wouldn't flop.

Editorial control, keeping it's message more liberal and more progressive? What if the govt goes hard right?

I'm largely playing devil's advocate here, since I'd not necessarily want to see Doctor Who go fully private because then it could be cancelled even quicker. But it irks me that we suffer under a very inconsistent schedule where every few years the show is basically off the air due to budgetary problems, many of which would be offset if some of the millions of dollars in licensing and merch revenue could go back into the show's budget.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm still waiting for the inevitable Benny/River team up. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

gently caress.

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Doctory birthdays...Happy Birthday John Hurt! Everyone go buy the War Doctor audios, and preorder the 4th set coming out next month.

:(

gently caress.

We've lost another Doctor. Not one we were ever expecting to have....

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just had a very sad thought...

BF has been doing all the straight ahead Time War audios with the War Doctor, but they never had time to get out in the weeds and start doing the more esoteric, experimental stuff that they tend to do after awhile--multidoctor stories with him, pairing him with other companions, etc. We'll never get to hear him meet River Song or the 5th Doctor or anything like that, and it would have been great. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

King Plum the Nth posted:

This is great news. I don't have enough experience of Chibnall's work to have an opinion of him but this addresses what I regard as the single biggest weakness of NuWho. RTD and Moffat have done great things for Doctor Who but it felt like they stretched themselves too thin. Delegation might also take care of those annoying gap years Bicyclops mentioned. I never understood why the insisted on trying to do it all themselves instead of relying on the old school model of Producer, Script Editor for continuity of theme/voice, and hired writers as necessary to fill out the volume the Script Edditor couldnt produce all by himself.

Yeah that's one thing about RTD and Moffat is that they almost immediately decided to start trying to do other poo poo, producing and working on other shows at the same time, like they were bored with just doing one thing. Then they got spread too thin and the show suffered. Hopefully Chibnall will just focus on Who for the next few years.

I'm not thrilled about losing Peter, especially since it would have been interesting to see him under a new showrunner, it's shades of Tennant leaving with RTD all over again. I find it interesting too that yet again we see a huge gap in production and then the lead decides to leave. Hopefully a lesson can be learned there! But at least with Peter we got to see an older Doctor again, a more prickly, less cute character. I loved Tennant and Smith, but I was worried that the new mold for The Doctor would always be some young sexy thing. Giving us Peter proves we can always go back to that, so it makes it OK even if the new Doctor is young. Same with John Hurt to be fair. Hopefully they get someone who is a fan and gets the show no matter their age.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I still want Idris or Paterson Joseph, but I've wanted that for like the last 2 regenerations so I'm resigned that it won't happen. :sigh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look, we need a well-trained older British actor with experience in fantasy and sci-fi.

Clearly the next Doctor should be Patrick Stewart.

With Ian McKellen as The Master! :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Fifth Doctor and Leela? :allears:

Tegan and Leela? :swoon:

I can hear the arguing already!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

To me after having Tennant back for a series this seems like a step back. Makes me a bit worried about future 10th/11th Doctor stories with Tennant and Smith. Did the 10/Donna series not sell well enough to justify the cost of having him back?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

News from the grapevine is that Tennant only did the one series as a favour, at a significantly reduced cut, and with the condition that he do them with Catherine Tate. He's actually not interested in doing any more -- though it's not clear what Tate thinks about anything.

Long story short, it's going to be a while before we get more from Tennant.

I was afraid of that. :(

At first when we got the 10th Doctor series it seemed like the start of something great and would lead to opening the floodgates on 11 and 12 audios in the next few years, but it seems like it was a flash in the pan.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So I was poking around the internet and it turns out a little over a year ago some folks actually made a replacement for the Big Finish Forum. I'd always liked that forum because it was a place besides here where people talked in depth about BF releases in all the ranges, there was a lot of upcoming release news, behind the scenes info, and creatives from BF participating. I have no idea what the drama was which caused it to go down (something with spoilers, possibly about the 10 audios IIRC), but it's good to see a new version up. It even has some of the BF writers chiming in on occasion:

http://notthebigfinishforum.freeforums.net/

A good place to see the state of the state on some ranges where the releases have been limited lately or actors have passed, like Dark Shadows and Blake's 7.

Also interestingly enough I found out that it seems that currently Tennant is too busy and making too much money with tv shows and Ducktales to be coming back any time soon, plus he was a bit upset with how the 10 audio announcement was leaked. But it's still shocking that he won't come back at some point, as his father in law is still doing quite a bit of BF work...as perhaps is his wife?

quote:

They recorded the BF podcast at LI Who and the big news is that there will be a Jenny range with Georgia Moffat. It also sounds as if she will be producing it. Most of the rest of the hour was general craziness and we found out Paul McGann just bough a television. An idea was brought up for a story where the actors all get to play each others' Doctors and there seemed to be some interest all around. Nick had to leave after 45 min to catch a plane home so the last 15 minutes was finishing some questions and answers for the Doctors from the audience. I wish there was more to tell, but it was just a lot of fun more than informative.

That was from November BTW.

I've always been vaguely interested in a Jenny Who series, though not as much as say Paternoster/Jago & Litefoot or Clara/Ashildr, (or various Claras meeting various Doctors in general), but it could be interesting.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

One thing that will be interesting with the new Doctor is who their "my Doctor" will be. Who was the one they grew up with, remembered most, and will most emulate in aspects of their performance?

As Tennant and RTD scripted into Time Crash, Tennant's was Davison.

Matt Smith was new to the series, but upon watching old episodes fell in love with Troughton and informed his character via the Second Doctor.

Capaldi was a huge fan of Pertwee and T Baker.

A younger Doctor could have grown up with and most remembered/like Colin Baker or McCoy. A really young Doctor might even have fallen in love with the show right away with Eccleston or even Tennant! It will bear watching.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Moffat wrote "Time Crash".

True, but I'm pretty sure the "Your were my Doctor" speech was written specifically for Tennant and 5 literally was his Doctor. Moffat is older, and is more likely to be a T Baker man. Maybe even Pertwee.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, Colin Baker was a big fan of the show before he was cast, having discovered it as a young law student in the 1960s.

Now that I think of it, didn't he originally want to play the Doctor as more gruff like Hartnell? Or am I just misremembering?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I'd hoped for a War Doctor/River encounter. That would have been very interesting.

I just started listening to the War Doctor finally, and I wonder why we haven't had a Derek Jacobi Time War Master story yet...

Also the War Doctor theme is by far the best original theme for the show BF has ever done.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My one complaint about Jacqueline Pierce in the War Doctor was that she sounded more like Servalan than she did as Servalan in the BF audios I've heard with her. Not that have any issue with her performance in WD per se, but more it makes me ask "why couldn't she find that voice for the BF B7 audios"? :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe I'm misreading too much into a blurry shifting image that lasts barely a second... but is there a really OLD school Cyberman in there as well?

Haha no just looked again outside of full-screen and it's just there's a Dalek behind them I mistook for a headpiece :laugh:

Even more of note...look at what (who)'s directly beneath the Dalek!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nobody else seems to have caught it, but I spot Davros beneath the Dalek.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It was more apparent in the full video, and in the non widescreen one I was able to move it frame by frame. Plus the placement below the Dalek...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jivjov posted:

Got some firsts for the Short Trips line coming up:

Jago and Litefoot meet the 10th Doctor in March and April

Wow, that sounds great because I'm loving Jago and Litefoot these days, but no Tennant no deal IMO. :(

I'd take this as a huge indicator that BF has given up on having him back for the foreseeable future.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oh I know it's the format, I just don't think they'd waste a "Jago and Litefoot meet the X Doctor" story on a Short Trip or Companion Chronicle if there was a shot at getting a Doctor actor.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Hopefully that means he's down for more then. I think it was in this thread it was said Tennant had only done those 3 as a favour to Briggs.

Yeah, over on the Not Big Finish Forums they are adamant that Tennant only did it as a favor to Briggs and he has no interest in doing it again and if you, as a fan, want him to then you are a horrible monster because he has his own life and his own career and a family to feed and HOW DARE YOU be so demanding you obsessive fan!

So if Briggs is still talking to him about more that's the best news I've heard in awhile. I don't mind if it's not coming for a year or so, as long as it's in the works and not on indefinite hold.

Davros1 posted:

They're doing Short Trips set during the Time War where Eight encounters Nyssa and Susan. They could've done those as full cast, but didn't.

See now that's just a goddamn waste. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

Come on now, you can't be impugning the raston warrior robot.

Or the fantastic acting performance of Wax Tom Baker! :haw:

Wheat Loaf posted:

When did writers decide that Rassilon was explicitly a bad guy? I think he's more ambiguous in "The Five Doctors" than straight-up villainous. Earliest that I'm aware of is when Don Warrington played him for Big Finish but I'm not familiar enough with any of the New Adventures or BBC Books lines to comment there.

Well the Doctors were sure as poo poo afraid of him in Five Doctors.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

This is one I didn't have, so very happy to be able to be grab it cheap

Haha ur hosed say goodbye to your wallet. :smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

What? No, I don't have a tear in my eye. It's just dust. Yeah, dust.

https://twitter.com/DWMtweets/status/837270658715377664

I just got done with the first box set, and it was great. I was a bit sad hearing the interviews where they said how pleased they were to be doing this unknown era and there were so many stories they could tell. :(

Then I realized how drat lucky we were that they banged out so many of them in so short a time. I have no idea if Hurt knew he might have been dying, but if he did and it spurred him to be so aggressive with doing so many stories with this character...well that's just amazing and we Doctor Who fans owe him a huge thanks. I mean normally it would have taken 2-3 years to get so many stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, it would be pretty hard being angry and calling yourself "Not The Doctor I Have No Name" for an entire incarnation, especially since due to the physical aging we're led to believe he existed in this one for centuries, longer than any other (besides 11).

• Locked thread