Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorWhat posted:

Class is fine.

Though I met a girl at NYCC and we're going to a screening of Power together and my life is just pretty goddamn great right now so maybe I'm just feeling generous.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Also jeru we should Do A Thing sometime. I dunno what yet but I think it would be cool.

Love is in the air in the doctor who thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

<walks in>

Oh, you've done up the place. I don't like it.

That's not the line and it's my joke dammit :argh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

When I grow up I want to stab someone with a spaceship

After The War posted:

State of Decay is also awesome.

Much like Twelve Monkeys, I enjoy State of Decay more every time I watch it. The texture is just so wonderful

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Also, in watching Logopolis I realized that if the universe were infinite, there would be an infinite number of universe-ending evil geniuses ending the universe at any given moment.

Nah, this isn't how it works. The natural numbers are (countably) infinite but there's only one "1", for example.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I think he's doing the "The universe is infinite, so everything must happen infinitely many times in it" thing

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That's good, because my experience of Heathrow was that I had no choice but to wait. For hours :gonk:

At least you didn't travel 140 million years into the past

The_Doctor posted:

This is usually my experience of Heathrow:

Yer posh git

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Kind of a ...weird? Dumb?...question, but how prevalent were fascist/anti-fascist themes in 60's British science fiction?

Those themes were common, but are also part of a larger theme of "End of empire/post-colonialism" which was fairly topical at the time for obvious reasons.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The arcs have all been stupid

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Ok cool. One thing I said about Who (albeit not here, as far as I recall) that I've seen my friends start quoting is that it's at its best when it goes and does largely disconnected stories in randomly-selected settings, and it's at its worst when it tries to develop its own consistent universe of connected peoples and civilizations. Whereas, on the other hand, Star Trek is at its worst when it goes (to the holodeck) to do largely disconnected stories in randomly-selected settings, and it's at its best when it tries to develop its own consistent universe of connected peoples and civilizations.

A lot of the best Star Trek episodes are standalones, though, and their attempt at a consistent universe have lead to things like the Borg being made Very poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BSam posted:

Missed the latest release, Order of the Daleks.

Number 23 and the special, please

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It would be a shame if that viewpoint (viz: what male authors think women characters should say) wasn't represented

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oh yeah, DWSS that was a thing

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Who thread meet

In the north east because I'm not travelling, sorry

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

McGann posted:

ok, nerd version of trouble - AKA an episode marathon - though I can imagine choosing which ones might get a bit heated

Give me Arc of Infinity or give me death

Ms Boods posted:

I'm on the [currently very soggy] south coast of England [listening to the Peter Cook documentary from downstairs whilst Angus comes rolling in]. London is about an hour or so train ride away.

Your posts in the students thread are always amazing so it would be worth a trip down to London just to hear them hot off the presses tbh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Seriously though the North East is lovely and frankly the amount of money you save on a drink or two would cover the train tickets

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ms Boods posted:

Heh -- when I'm in London, I'm totally in 'off' mode -- it's where I go for a few days to wander and recharge and not think about my students. :)

This does not seem unreasonable, your stuff about Doctor Who history then :)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The only Tom Baker book I've read is his autobiography

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The cliffhanger rehashes aren't usually that bad, it's only when the episode was running really short (Garth Merenghi style) like the third episode of The Sea Devils

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yes it has

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Huh, I thought I was the only person on Earth who preferred III to II.

I preferred 2 when I was young

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

What's the joke about Back to the Future covering the essentials of what it means to be human - the past, the future and cowboy?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That could be anyone!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Well not me, because I'm not doing it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

It's really depressing because their first televised story was so good, but the Silurians have failed to live up to that potential ever since :(

Their first story was also the only one that could reasonably have been told, given that your brief is "Ancient lizards from beneath the ground who used to rule the Earth"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Plus they only use that one Cold War "We could be allies, and live together, if only we could get past our fear and communicate" story over and over.

I don't actually hate the new design. It's just Star Trek makeup instead of rubber suits. It's more that they just try to re-tell Doctor Who and the Silurians, but make the Silurians more unreasonable, which misses the entire point of the first one, where the actual monster in the story is really the Brigadier.

The Brigadier and the younger Silurian chap who tries to kill everyone

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

It would make no money at all but I'd legit love a 4 hour cinema screening of The War Games :swoon:

If I had a time machine I'd fill a cinema by myself

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

"Sorry sir, you're not allowed to see the War Games any more, the cinema's full."

I'LL TELL YOU WHEN I'VE HAD ENOUGH

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

"Timelash starts in 5 minutes, if you like."

*departs with a scream*

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Weekend sale on Gallifrey.

Is that in Ireland?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

So confused. We stopped after the s8 premeir and want to get this all straightened out before we move on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials

It sounds like Amazon don't have any of the Specials, just the regular series. Which will make things confusing because Tennant and Smith both regenerate in Specials.

In particular, you've missed:

Planet of the Dead
Waters of Mars
The End of Time (end of Tennant)

Day of the Doctor (end of Smith).

Although I don't particularly like any of them so you're not missing out that much :v:

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 5, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Time of the Doctor is the end of the Smith run?

Yeah that one

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And More posted:

It's why Netflix is good. They sort that stuff for you.

Well, sometimes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Not seen in 50 years?

Then what did I just see in the theater?

If you wanted to be pedantic then you'd say that the last episode aired on the 10th December, which is less than 50 years ago. That aside, the DVD box isn't claiming that nobody has seen it before the owner of this specific DVD because that's clearly silly.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

For Secret Santa last year where I noted down the DVDs I owned on my ratings list, Power had "I wish" next to it. Clearly the rest of 2016 has been balancing this out

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

These rom com scenarios just keep getting worse!

I'd watch pretty much any romcom if it had a missing Doctor Who story in the middle

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also I think we need a more optimistic view; The Ice Warriors is improved by the missing episodes, after all!

And Fury from the Deep only has surviving bits that got cut by Australian censors for being too terrifying so whenever things start moving you know poo poo is going down

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

That's the great thing about Doctor Who, there's always something new to look forward to

What a world

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Don't facebook stalk me please

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Their reasoning is dodgy but there was certainly a deep current of opposition to the TVM at the time, due to it being a "bastardised American pastiche" (or whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I was terrified that the TVM was going to be something along the of Virgin's NAs, so I was greatly relieved that it was actually good!

The NA have an ok hit rate for what they were, low budget spin offs from a low budget and formerly popular show from the previous decade, written by random fans.

• Locked thread