Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Joined earlier this week, here's my page. Still in the process of manually dumping my info from IMDb into it, so no lists or anything yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Kind of feel like doing a 'Bloated Southern dramas' list, but beyond Legends of the Fall and Steel Magnolias, I'm pretty much drawing a blank.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I don't even know how to present this review.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Monster Movies With Monsters Which Deviate From Their Orthodox Characteristics, As Detailed In These Pains-Taking Explanatory Notes

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
There was a mug breaking at the end of the first Scary Movie, right?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spatulater bro! posted:

What are the most obscure movies you've rated on Letterboxd? Go to your films and sort by popularity.

Snake in the Eagles Shadow 2 (1978, just me): This sequel is by most accounts a movie called Snaky Knight Fight Against Mantis with footage from Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow spliced in to capitalize on Jackie Chan’s name.

Kennel Tokorozawa (1992, two people): Punk Dog. Pet shop owner’s daughter Chika Tokorozawa spends every waking hour with her dog, Rin Tin Tin, who repays her love by watching over her while she sleeps. Based on the manga in Young Sunday magazine by Maki Otsubo, who is better known in the manga world for Mr. Cinema.

La Pastorela: The Shepherd’s Tale (1991, two people): Originally produced for PBS’s Great Performances Series, La Pastorela is a musical retelling of the shepherds’ journey to Bethlehem to see the Christ Child. We see the tale through the eyes of a modern young girl, the oldest child in a large rural Tex-Mex family. During a surrealistic dream, which brings to mind “The Wizard of Oz,” the young chicana makes a fantastical journey with the shepherds and along the way, witnesses the triumph of God’s Angels over Satan’s diablos. Full of drama, comedy, fantasy and wonderful music; this is a rare film the whole family can enjoy together.

Traveling Man (1989, two people): A poignant comedy about a middle-aged salesman trying to get his life and career back on track while being pushed and antagonized by an aggressive rookie he has been teamed up with.

Where’s Willie? (1978, two people): An 8-year old boy invents a hand-held computer which can control any electronic device, and uses it to affect the entire town where he lives.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

credburn posted:

I got some lists.
Cop Movies -- Movies with "cop" in the title.
Could add Cop, Cop and a Half, Cops, Cops & Robbersons, Cop Car, Cop Land, Cop Out, Violent Cop, Karate Cop, Kamikaze Cop, Police Story 3: Supercop, Scanner Cop, Space Cop, and Psychedelic Cop to that list. Also Let's Be Cops and Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man, if those fit with what you're going for.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

credburn posted:

Oops, I should have clarified the cop thing; the movie title uses "cop" as the suffix and describes the titular cop. I only used the first entry in a franchise.

Are those...joke names, or actual movies? Because if they're actual movies, I'm going to have my weekend full.
Yeah, those are all real.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Is there a way to search movie titles within the list of films you've seen?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
If it's in Letterboxd's database, and I watch it, I'm'a log it.
:goleft:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
No more so than the most recent David DeCouteau or Jim Wynorski films.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And there was this series.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Pretty normal. I've had times where I'd hit the gremlins page five times in a day.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
262 entries for 2017, logging anything I watched that was in the site's database; 226 without the short films. No Pro, so the deeper stats are a mystery.

e: Based on the year-end letter, Josh Flitter was my Most Watched Actor, and Dave Fleischer my Most Watched Director.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 14, 2018

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Wanted to share these, and this thread seemed suitable, since I don't know if I ever would have stumbled across even one without Letterboxd.

Videos by Jake Fried

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Some stand-out reviews.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
They've also tweaked the favicon.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Letterboxd's Twitter account today confirmed they have no plans to complete their film sorting options by adding a 'Popularity ascending' option.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

None but the biggest stars for me this year.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here's mine: https://letterboxd.com/darthemed/year/2018/
Not much change from the snapshot I posted in November.
Most popular film I watched this year: Get Out.
Most obscure: Little Orphan Annie's A Very Animated Christmas, which I am apparently the only person on Letterboxd to have logged. It's on Youtube in full, if anyone wants to change that.
690 films watched, 57.5 average per month, 13.3 average per week.
About 95% of my films were in English, so I'll probably try to be more international with my selections in the coming year.

Here's to enjoyable film consumption for you all in 2019!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
There's also some separate entries for MST3k versions (examples here), but they tend to be entered into the database sloppily, so they'll probably get deleted eventually.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Something about the idea of setting alerts for all the Letterboxd-using vegans who object to seeing non-veganism on-screen and might somehow end up watching the 1998 film Half Baked in 2019 just stays funny to me.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'll gladly take that over the reviewer who ends every single sentence with an exclamation point.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Mike Portnoy is apparently on there. If it's a joke account, they're playing it very close to their vest.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Mr. Boll has phantom rating powers.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
This is my personal favorite. So far.

Strong contender for a new thread title.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I haven't really used it much, but I think Trakt.tv does what you want.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I really don't get some of Letterboxd's ranking decisions. Why is a film that's been seen by five people and appears on one list considered more obscure than a film watched by one person and appearing on two lists?

RIP Boll.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Kinda childish, but had to mark this milestone.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I mean, Debbie Does ASCII is in the database.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
If you log a film that hasn't had the cast added on TMDb, and someone later adds those details, do they get retroactively added to your stats page?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Cool. Thanks for the confirmation on that!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here's mine. It's very hard for a movie to get a half-star or five-star rating from me.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Is there any way to block reviews from a specific user? I'd be so happy if I never came across another one of Todd Gaines' 'Here's a sentence fragment of a scene. Here's another scene fragment. An item was there. Someone did thing. Haircut,' entries.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Only through suggestions in the comments of the list.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Cat Machine posted:

Can anyone recommend some good accounts to follow? The 'People' tab is pretty much useless these days because it only surfaces users who are Twitter/Tumblr famous and post the usual "omg <actor> slay queen!! <character> threw the first brick at stonewall!!"-type posts that are of absolutely no merit to anyone. I'm looking for any kind of meaningful film writing, whether that be critical analysis or just personal essays in response to film. Even syndicated accounts (e.g. the one that posts Armond White's reviews) would be of interest to me.
Here's a handful I follow that tend to put some substance in their reviews.
belial_carboni (horror-focused)
kaijuman (lots of schlock, some higher-profile inclusions)
Michael Berger (my personal favorite reviewer on the site)
Turner Stewart (a low-budget Canadian film-maker)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Most of the people in the first post of this thread are good follows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Trying to find the person who made that review hit me with the awful truth that people are putting the phrase "my randomness" in their bios in 2019.