Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bowmore posted:

did anyone else start watching more movies than usual because they got a letterboxd account?

Yes. Since it allows me to keep a private list of all the movies that I randomly go "I want to watch that" its become a lot easier for me to go "I want to watch something... let me pull off that list" vs just throwing a sitcom, sports, news, or whatever on. So yeah, I'm definitely watching more movies with Letterboxd. I'm especially doing more "binges" and themed watch patterns because it makes it so easy to keep track of that and see what movie is "next."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Once again reminding myself I'm basic as hell.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

During quarantine I've developed a kind of habit. A movie in the late afternoon/early evening when I'm relaxing from the day, a movie after dinner or while I'm eating, and a movie when I'm lying in bed. Sometimes its 2. Sometimes its 4 if I can't sleep or pop on something else. Occasionally I actually watch, read, or play something else. But I'm not going out or anything so every day I just line up the 2-4 films I want to watch and let it play out.

I really can't engage during the long streams. 2 films I can if I put my laptop aside and only chat on my phone. But I can't sit there for 3+ films. I burn out and get stir crazy. Chill Streams actually tend to result in me taking random walks around the block just to move.

But thats also what's inviting about them. I can just pop in and out as I please, especially if its films I'm familiar with or don't really care if I join in the middle of. Its just very relaxed and welcoming.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only thing I could suggest is a trick I use to search for Kanopy/Hoopla exclusive movies. I search one of them on https://www.justwatch.com/ and then just look at any movie i'm interested in to see if its got other streaming options. Its not terribly convenient but its the the best I know.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I make a zillion lists but they’re all for me. Challenges I’m doing. Long marathons of randomly connected movies I want to watch. Big collections on some theme I want to go through. They’re all basically resources for me to keep track of my own varied web of watchlists but I also kind of try and make them so maybe someone else would find them useful. Who knows? I just love making them. I love starting new projects.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Don’t add me unless you want long rambly reviews and stupid lists.

https://letterboxd.com/goatgonzo/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah it doesn’t seem bad to mostly enjoy the movies you like. Maybe if you’re getting a lot of 3s you want to be more selective to find better films. Or maybe you want to expand your comfort zone to spread the selections around more. But like you ending up right around the middle on most do the films you select to watch just means you’re watching movies you more or less enjoy with slight variations in how much. Which seems healthy than having extreme reactions to everything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Separating the tv and film stuff seems like it defeats the purpose. For me the appeal is that I can have one shared watchlist and integrated challenge/season lists that more fully and accurately reflect what I watched. That seems fun to me. But having a second app or sectioned off stuff just seems like more clutter I’m unlikely to bother with any more than I do the other options people have told me for tracking my shows.

I also, I dunno, don’t care what other people log. I mean I like reading reviews and following some users and seeing what my friends are watching but there’s tons of Letterboxd users who already log stuff and review stuff in a totally different way than me or my sensibility. I don’t see how tv will change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. If you start editorializing peoples reviews that feels like a door you don’t wanna open. But again I guess I’m a bit different in that I accept there’s already a ton of reviews and reviewers who don’t interest or even annoy me and I’m content to just ignore them.

I’m also guilty of sometimes reviewing a show under a Letterboxd listing but I only do that with like show specials or something. Not just random movies that share a name. But so I’m probably part of the problem.