Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just getting started:
http://letterboxd.com/egbertsouse/

I switched from Criticker to IMDB, but there's too much garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My Favorite Short Films (work in progress)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm liking that it lets you choose a film as "watched" instead of having to rate it.

I've seen every surviving Georges Melies film, but there's no way I can reliably list a rating for all 170-180 of them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Movies that have supermarket shoot outs

Cobra
Stone Cold
Blue Steel
Hot Fuzz
Wanted

Not a shootout, but there's a big fight in a supermarket near the end of They Might Be Giants.

(Also there's a good supermarket scene in Messiah of Evil)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm working on a companion list for short films:
https://letterboxd.com/egbertsouse/list/they-shoot-shorts-dont-they/by/release-earliest/

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Man on the Flying Trapeze (1935)

Clyde Bruckman is credited, but he was fired after a few days due to his alcoholism and star W.C. Fields took over.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They have MST3K episodes on there, too. "I'll allow it."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

eh

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Yaws posted:

Does the iphone app for LB run like poo poo rear end poo poo for anyone else?

Works beautifully on my 7+

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

198 here.

Though, I’m really behind. :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Logging short films is cheating.

How so? They let you filter out shorts unlike Criticker.

I usually log them, but tend to not actually rate.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Does Les Vampires count as one feature film or ten shorts? Or five shorts and five features given that half the episodes are over 40 minutes in length?

While it's split in Letterboxd, I consider it one work like other serials.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm going through the massive Criterion Bergman set right now, so I'll be surprised if Bergman isn't my top director for the year.
https://letterboxd.com/egbertsouse/year/2019/

Though, with Kino Lorber putting out nine British Hitchcock films before the end of the year, I might rewatch/watch his entire filmography.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I know it basically works out to approximately $6 a blu-ray, but I'm extremely hesitant to drop $220+ on the Bergman set.

Does it even fit well on your shelf? I don't think I'd even have a place for it.

It was only $150 when I got it in the B&N sale and Criterion.com usually has a 50%-off flash sale in February - which is when the second printing is supposed to be ready. Either way, it's absolutely worth it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Several Goblins posted:

This is so wholesome and I love it. Thanks for posting it. Borgnine seems like he was such a lovable, happy goofball. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I_PeLNzxNQ

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

It's such a weird rule, but I guess they just do it so there aren't like 4-5 entries for a single movie on things like Blade Runner and Heaven's Gate.

There are still a few on the site – such as the Richard Donner re-edit of Superman 2 – but I'm not sure by what logic it's decided to make them distinct entries.

I think some re-edits are actually considered separate works by the owners, which is definitely the case with Superman II and Apocalypse Now. More of a copyright thing. Though, Superman II is a complete re-edit of the film while Apocalypse Now Redux isn't really that different from any other "extended edition" since it's not like Coppola re-edited the entire film from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm probably a bit more generous with films since I'm fairly picky.

5 - loved it, among the best I've seen
4 - Really enjoyed it, just not a masterpiece
2.5 - Not half bad, but not half good either :stat::wal:
2 - Actively disliked, but found enough to sort of like
1 - Trash, only thing between .5 and 1 is that I might like one scene or something

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 30, 2019