Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I've been watching random movies off the 'official top 250 movies history list', using a random number generator to have no choice in what I was getting. A few weeks ago I watched the fifth movie on the list: 'O auta da compadecida', a movie that is higher rated than the Godfather II, and it's complete poo poo? It has some of the top actors of Brazilian cinema, but the acting is intentionally atrocious, Everything about the movie is just really annoying, the story is a big nothing? I really wonder what is behind the absurdly high rating. There must be some social media campaign in Brazil to get this movie to the top of the website or something.

https://letterboxd.com/dave/list/letterboxd-top-250-films-history-collected/
https://letterboxd.com/film/a-dogs-will/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
A little on the nose maybe, but Delicatessen would fit.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there any consistency in which TV shows are on letterboxd and which aren't?

Is it limited to one-season shows? It seems a little inconsistent.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I was at a movie screening yesterday, where the movie was so obscure that the amount of ratings almost tripled since the screening, going from 4 to 11 :). I didn't check the amount of viewed before, but assuming that went up at the same rate, about 18 people marked it as viewed yesterday, which equals to about 6% of the adience in the screening being on letterboxd. Off course it was a film festival crowd, so they were more likely to be on letterboxd than the general crowd.

I didn't rate it, only marked it as viewed, because I have no clue what to rate it.

Movie in question: https://letterboxd.com/film/polia-blastema/

Edit: I should probably post my profile while I'm at it: https://letterboxd.com/GorgonZola/
\/\/ I'm not in the list, feel free to add me.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 28, 2023

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
For those who care, letterboxd has made significant changes to their rating algorithm, to remove recency bias, bias from one country, and to lower the ratings concert videos and making off documentaries receive. With these changes, Hara Kiri is the highest rated movie.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah, I see India found Letterboxd then.

Indian Movie: *exists*
Indians: 5*

It was mostly brazil at this point I think.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

CatstropheWaitress posted:

That's just really cool.

Letterboxd feels so pure, for a social-media-esque site. Doesn't feel popular enough for marketing departments to infiltrate it, so the few actor/director/etc. that are on there just seem to be there cause they also fuckin' love movies and want people to see their inspirations.

bowmore posted:

Hope it can stay that way for as long as they can hold out

They've sold to Canadian investment capital for 50M in september, so I'm gonna say they did not hold out.
They want to expand into TV properly as well, which I kinda wish they wouldn't.

https://gizmodo.com/letterboxd-majority-acquired-by-tiny-for-50-million-1850887306

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

IMO they should break shows down into entries for each season and not go any further.

The thing I'm most interested in is seeing if this shakes up the usual television discourse. Seeing what in the classic canon of shows gets reappraised, and what odd things end up getting a second life (or even just a first look).

Attack on Titan Season 4: the final season
Attack on Titan Season 4: the final season, part two
Attack on Titan Season 4: the final chapter
Attack on Titan Season 4: the final chapter part two

Not a joke btw, this is how it was released.

If they are smart they will give an option to rate TV-series by season, and add granularity to rate by episode for the freaks who care about it. Make it a feature for paying customers.

Darthemed posted:

I’d be happy if they would just clean up the reviews that are written about a TV show, then posted under the listing for a movie with the same name. So loving sloppy.

It is funny that a 25-minute documentary on The Wire is one of the highest rated things on Letterboxd.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 5, 2024