Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Are we still posting our rating distributions? I use Criticker so I don't know if I'm technically invited, but:

Like a lot of people my ratings skew kind of high because I try to only watch movies I'm going to enjoy. If you want to know why I have 100 movies rated 87 and about half that many (51) rated 85, or why I have 82 movies rated 82 and half that many rated 81, well, join the club. My brain works weirdly I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Shrecknet posted:

you export criticker to XML and import to letterboxd. I did it, it's super easy, the only hiccup is that any review that ends with a " mark breaks the xml and carries over the result, so you have to do a little bit of tlc on the xml before importing.

e: https://letterboxd.com/shrecknet/
Where's the Criticker export option?

edit: found it, you have go to all your ratings and there's a link in the bottom left.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I finally bothered to import my data from Criticker for the hell of it: https://letterboxd.com/actionberg/

I like certain features, especially the diary/rewatching but I don't like that for such a robust filtering system, I can't even select country of origin. I also hate the five-star system so I'll just be straddling both websites forever.
I'm in literally the same position! Criticker is better at almost everything except the diary stuff. And of course Letterboxd has a nicer looking site in many ways. https://letterboxd.com/tychocelchuuu/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
FWIW if you want better list functionality, less bullshit, etc. I find Criticker is a lot better for this sort of thing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

feedmyleg posted:

If Criticker just got a bit of a visual facelift without changing any functionality it would attract/win back a lot more users. I use a browser extension with some custom CSS to pretty it up a bit and it makes a world of difference when it looks like a modern website rather than something out of 1998.
Yeah I absolutely agree. If Criticker looked like Letterboxd it would be eating Letterboxd's lunch. What's hilarious is that it did get a facelift a while ago and effectively nothing changed except some fonts. But you're looking at what they consider to be an improvement.

I figure that they make more in ads than the site costs to run and they don't give a poo poo about much else, and of course a redesign would be a huge pain in the rear end and expensive, so why bother?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lampsacus posted:

Letterboxd top reviews will always be a funny one liner. Its the same as steam and the top reddit comment. I would also prefer a more ~cinema site but that ain't happening. It is still the best site of its kind imho
Criticker sort of avoids this because the reviews will be sorted by how much the person and you agree on movies, so it's not a popularity contest. Although it allows you to sort reviews by "stars" which is a popularity contest but it's not one that's dominated by one-liners so that's good I guess. Although I like funny one-liners.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some of Roger Deakins's first work was shooting documentaries in Africa, so there are a few of those you can check out, if documentaries count. Assuming you can find them. I don't know if they're easy to locate.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tarnop posted:

This is why I use Criticker for recommendations. It's annoying having to input my ratings into two sites but the results are worth it IMO
Yeah, if the goal is to find stuff you like, Criticker blows way past Letterboxd. For a very brief time I tried to use both but it got kind of annoying and I didn't even have to think about it before dumping Letterboxd and sticking with Criticker. We used to have a thread but it's dead now.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Rooney Mara loving destroys a pie in A Ghost Story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
1980s Queer Neo-Noirs Starring Debra Winger