Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I lost a lot of time reading lists, but it can be addictive folks. And for balance, some reviews that baffled me. This review for American Pop (1981), a Bakshi offbeat heart-on-it's-sleeve epic about generations of Jewish American musicians. "OK Boomer: the movie". Also this review for Scarface: "It loses points for that montage. It's kinda long." In good fun, just some nutty stuff on there.

Here's my thing. I didn't use it for a couple years but am back at it, gonna put the missing recent imdb years on there.

https://letterboxd.com/FrankBoothFan/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Goons Are Great posted:

so many new and old goons coming together here, it fills my heart with joy to read everyone's terrible opinions about terrible movies

Absolutely! I'd like to join that list, here's mine:

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Anybody go down the rabbit hole of your letterboxd movie data? I sometimes get intrigued and get ideas for my to-watch goals.

Stuff like for some reason 2003 has 67 movies watched for me, but every other 2000s year has 80+. What's with the slacking 2003? Thinking I'll make a note to get 2003 up there a bit.

And for decades, I've mentioned before the 2010s has been a drop-off for me, even though I still keep up with movies. I've seen 430 movies in the 2010s, and about double that with 800+ in the 2000s. Even back to the 80s is higher than the 2010s for me, around 560. So I'm hoping to get the 2010s a little more respectably up there at some point, maybe hit 600 there some day. Not to go too off the deep end, but it's fun to look at this stuff sometimes. The 1970s is pretty shameful for me, I've seen 148, so I've gotta get that up to say 250 at some point. Ditto for earlier decades.

Though I guess overall I'm more of an 80s film fan, plus all that anime influx and more foreign films for me. One of my goals I came up with a while back is to watch 86 movies from 1986, and I've got 12 to go. I have over 30 fun picks already for 86, so that won't be too tough. It will be tough for the 2010s to ever beat the 80s, but a comeback could happen. 90s and 2000s I think will always be the champs numbers wise.

Anybody else have some deep dive data things going? Another thing I dig is that looking at years by popularity, and by country as well, it's pretty easy to bone up on picks for a year.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Grinches are Glowing posted:

Is everyone who posted revently included in our Big Official Goon Super Letterboxd List 2000 Extreme Reloaded? I haven't checked it all but tell me if you want to be included and for some reason aren't yet so we can stare at your terrible taste for movies in an orderly fashion

I'm not on that one, but I was on one in the middle pages somewhere. Here ye go!

https://letterboxd.com/FrankBoothFan/

I did 200 movies for 2021, and aimed for 130 last year (2 or 3 a week), hit 140ish. This year I'm skipping a number goal, but rocking those movies for sure.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I use likes somewhat subjectively and randomly. Especially since I imported imdb ratings originally so I have a zillion movies without likes on them, more about the star ratings.

One thing I find myself doing is putting a like on a 3.5/5 movie I really liked, or 3/5 I'm fond of etc, to give it a little extra oomph. I'd like to just do buckets of popcorn etc Gregg Turkington style.

edit: new page... Everyone see Breakin' and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. They are genuinely very good times.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 28, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Interesting, I'm not big on consensus or aggregate ratings numbers anyway. But, it would be nice if we could bump Blue Velvet a couple decimals and get it onto the top freakin' 250. What the hell letterboxd raters, what the hell. But the coolest movies are a little divisive.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Hausu Usher posted:

I use sliders on IMDb to filter and actually find results I find useful in a search, +1000 votes really takes out a lot of the chaff. I built a bunch of Letterboxd horror sub-genre watchlists using that and key words. Agree I’d love something like that on the pretty movie database.

I dig that it worked for you, but! I must nitpick, this mighty fine Lupin the Third theatrical feature, available on home video in the US for like 20 years, has only 858 votes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0170181/

And for US stuff with horror movie legends, the Ted Raimi masterpiece Lunatics: A Love Story only has 763 ratings. So really, numbers are never good is the lesson here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102357/

There's no shortcut for finding the good stuff, clearly. We just gotta sift through thousands of pages and research zillions of movies, or we're gonna miss out on the gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for doing that, and good luck with the stuff mentioned there! Letterboxd is cool for sure.