Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Escobarbarian posted:

I would consider moving from criticker if they had a better rating scale. Is it seriously just 1-5 stars?

Yes, but with half-star increments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm in the process of adding all my Criticker ratings and reviews to Letterboxd. I have 2369 films rated on Criticker, and about a third of them have reviews. :( This is an onerous process.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm going to begin using Letterboxd regularly, but I'll keep using Criticker too. Criticker's predicted score feature works unbelievable well. Sometimes it's uncanny how accurate it is.

Once I've added all of my movies to LB, I'll post a link here to my profile. I've got about 2,000 to go...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

After many hours of labor, I finally got all my ratings and reviews moved over from Criticker to Letterboxd. http://letterboxd.com/caiman/

How do I remove a film from my film count? I tested to see what happens when I rate a movie and then un-see and un-rate it. What happened was my film count went up when I added it, but did NOT go back down when I un-rated/un-saw it. Am I missing something about how the site sums up my films?

Edit: looks like it just needed some time. The number's correct now.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 9, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm so glad there's a thread for this! Here's my own hastily thrown together page: http://letterboxd.com/NickHough/

Literally no one I know likes movies so let's be friends and share cool things. :)

Hi there Fargo-loving buddy!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's a gut feeling. It's a quick answer to the question "how much did I like this?" See, I personally don't like to differentiate between the concepts of "good movies" vs "movies I like". If I liked it, it's good, whether that's due to technical excellence or campy fun. Both 2001: A Space Odyssey and House on Haunted Hill are 5-star movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The more I play around on this site, the more I appreciate all the little features the designers put into it. Cool thing I just discovered: go to a list and select "Fade watched films" from the filters to get a nice view of all your unwatched films in that list. This is great for "checklist" type lists like They Shoot Pictures Don't They.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Looten Plunder posted:

The movie that popularised the entire trend doesn't even appear on the list (Saving Private Ryan)

It's there.

Looten Plunder posted:

It also sucks you can't ctrl+f on lists because the film name doesn't appear anywhere on the page

The titles appear when you're in list view. The option is up near the filters button.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CountFosco posted:

Man, with a cover like that, I'm never watching Begotten.

Back in college, it was solely the cover that piqued my interest in watching it. It's worth seeing once.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Something they should add to Letterboxd is a lookup of lists (maybe just popular ones or ones that at least meet a set criteria) that you've either 100%ed or are close to. Like you might've watched 80% of a directors work without even realizing it, which could be useful.

I'd love if they implemented something similar to ICheckMovies.com, where there's a curated set of 'official lists", such as TSPDT, IMDB top 250, etc.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is it just me or is the price jump from Pro to Patron pretty extreme? Pro is $19 per year and Patron is $49. As far as I can tell the only worthwhile difference is that with Patron you get the custom background image on your profile and lists.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

For the Favorite Films area I'm going to start using my four most recently seen 5-star movies. That should keep things interesting. Currently: Belladonna of Sadness, Hard to Be a God, Horror Express and The Naked Island.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

Is there a way to see if a movie you are looking at is on multiple lists in your saved lists?

Basically I have a few lists with horror movies and I want to be able to see which movies are on the multiple lists I saved.

On a movie's page, if you scroll down to Popular Lists and click More, then click Everyone and change it to You, you'll see all of your lists in which the movie appears.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Quad posted:

Oh sweet, I've been using this for about a year now, logged about 300 movies this year.

https://letterboxd.com/derekw741/

Love your Letterboxd avatar. Is that from a Wladyslaw Starewicz film?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Quad posted:

It's from the greatest film of 1996, perhaps of all time; Joe's Apartment.

Haha, oh yeah I should have known that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Figure I'll post this here too. I made a list for the 2017 update of the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? list. https://letterboxd.com/caiman/list/they-shoot-pictures-dont-they-1000-greatest/

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What are the most obscure movies you've rated on Letterboxd? Go to your films and sort by popularity.

Mine:

Arroseur et arrosé (1896) - watched by 19 people
Praying With Lior (2008) - watched by 15 people
A Girl of the Limberlost (1990) - 13 people
Sleeping Dogs Lie (2005) - 13 people
2000 Years Of Christianity: God And The Burdened (1999, Herzog) - 9 people
Lessons in Film (1991, Herzog) - 4 people

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Check again. I bet that's the making-of documentary.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It appears that Letterboxd has removed Histoire(s) du cinema from their database. So the TSPDT list is now one short. Why would they remove it?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Raxivace posted:

EDIT: Oh yeah they do have individual entries for each episode of Histoire(s) though.

I just noticed this. I guess I'll just replace it with the first episode.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You know what feature Letterboxd really needs to add? The ability to cross-reference lists. It would just be a filter, like the current "In Your Watchlist" filter, only it would let you choose any list. This would be so incredibly useful.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Worst Movies I've Ever Seen. It's all of my 1/2 star movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

K. Waste posted:

Showgirls and Nekromantik are good.

Nah, but they may be slightly better than 1/2 star.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Anyone else keep a list of movies they've missed but definitely want to see from a given year? Here's mine from 2016.

I do now. Very good idea.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

weekly font posted:

I hope some of these are in the so bad it's good category cause there's some trash here that's a real good time.

No, but a lot of them I've only seen once a long time ago, so it's possible a rewatch would reveal some unseen qualities.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I've been a Pro member for a couple weeks now and it's been totally worth it. The Stats page is killer. But I think the best feature is the ability to clone lists. It gives me the ability to easily check if a particular movie is on a particular list. I just clone the lists I'm interested in.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Needing suggestions for my list.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

Night of the hunter

That's already on there.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've seen it only once, in the theater, and I hated it so much I nearly walked out. Should I give it another chance?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Allyn posted:

How in the hell do you make a PG cut of Freddy Got Fingered? Wouldn't it end up like 40 minutes long? :pwn:

3 minutes, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwoVgMEXusM

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Darthemed posted:

Is there a way to search movie titles within the list of films you've seen?

I don't believe so.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kuiperdolin posted:

Display the whole list and ctrl-f ?

I don't think there's a way to display the entire list on a single page.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I made a Letterboxd Godzilla list to help myself and others keep them straight: https://letterboxd.com/caiman/list/all-the-godzillas-so-many-godzillas/detail/

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

Nice. That's a franchise I want to dive into in the near future, but there's so many of them.

If you're just starting out, I would watch the original and then move on to the Heisei and/or Millennium series with Shin thrown in there somewhere. The Showa series is fun but it gets very silly and kid-friendly.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm actually really glad Letterboxd doesn't do TV. I don't like my film and my television intermingling.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

zenintrude posted:

Please don't log stand up specials on LB... you are a terrible person if you do.

Why?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

zenintrude posted:

They aren't movies. HTH

It's a camera filming a subject at feature length. Close enough for me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I made a list: Criterion Films Included in the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? (TSPDT) list

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

I love you for this.

drat, I've only seen 59 out of 390

179 here.

This list came from my interest in completing both lists. Prioritizing the films that overlap seemed like the right approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Only 8 likes away from 1,000 likes on my TSPDT list. Just sayin' https://letterboxd.com/caiman/list/they-shoot-pictures-dont-they-1000-greatest/