Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would consider moving from criticker if they had a better rating scale. Is it seriously just 1-5 stars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah the site is going for intuitive and readable. Personally my Criticker ratings are a mess because of the granular rating system. I understand why Criticker does it that way because allocating your ratings in Tiers of movies underpins their recommendation system and works well for fine-tuned ratings, but I think in general we're all able to conceptualise the difference between a 3 and 3.5 star movie a lot more than a 62 versus a 67 out of 100.

Oh yeah, I absolutely get this. I just like to be super intricate with my rankings. I'll probably move over eventually, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I can't just have one scale where everything is ranked against everything else. Things are generally more relative. Kind of the way Ebert used to justify his ratings. It's why LEGO Movie (which I think is one of the all-time great family movies) has the same score on my criticker (working on the letterboxd) as Under the Skin, even though I vastly prefer the latter.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

300 would uh, be a fairly intense year considering it isn't even Valentine's Day yet. :stare:

I assume they just mean logging in the site and not actually watching

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most obscure is Christmas Under Fire, a British WWII propaganda film that was screened before a Christmas showing of It's A Wonderful Life I went to in 2012. 14 viewers.

As far as full-length "proper" movies, it's the god-awful 2006 movie The Contract with John Cusack and Morgan Freeman which I think was largely straight-to-video. But I've also only rated up to G and the TSP list.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd definitely be interested in a recommended Tati order. Almost watched Playtime recently but now glad I didn't.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So after years of laziness and gradually adding everything I rated on criticker I finally completed my account! I’m over at https://letterboxd.com/escobarbarian/

I was wondering, if I go back and log the dates I watched movies, or add my reviews from criticker, does that bump them back up to the top? I don’t wanna be spamming the hell out of anyone’s feeds.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tags sounds like a good idea. I might go and do that, but I’m still getting used to the site overall (went and tried to add the date I watched a movie that I had already reviewed and it made them two separate entries which is ultra confusing but I think I get it now)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to block certain types of notifications? I don’t like seeing “<person> liked <person’s> review of <movie>” this much if I can help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spot the odd one out

Here’s some lists what I did:

Best of 2022: https://boxd.it/jRx3U

Best first watches of 2022: https://boxd.it/jTo3A