Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Anybody else having problems with saves loading in trunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

also can we please revert whatever change was made that made shafts appear everywhere? They are a death sentence for early characters and it's not really fun running around trying to find an upstair if you haven't had the luck to find Mapping yet.

I actually disagree. I think getting shafted, and then having to desperately search for the quickest path to an upstair, is a fun and interesting thing.

Then again, i also think getting abyssed is a fun mechanic, so maybe I'm just weird.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

euphronius posted:

Go gargoyle for first win.

IMHO.

Second. My first win was a GrFi^Chei, and it was pretty much easy mode. 55AC, 22EV, 26SH, reflection, and at least two pips in every resistance... the guy was a lot of fun.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

(though i could see an argument for making halberds 1h and somehow making m&f more 2h-focused...? not sure how exactly you'd manage that.)

Maybe it's just me, but I like the niche that M&F have as "the weapon you take if you want to: melee with a shield/not have to worry about hydras/ are an ogre with access to a GSC". Well, maybe not so much that last one anymore, but the other two are still valid.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

You know, I think this might be the way to go forward. Removing the hard cap, but implementing a soft cap through applying an anti manual effect (-4 to -8) to any skill at 14 or above. I'll have to look into how manuals apply their bonus and go from there.

Edit: Actually, I just remembered anti-training used to exist for spells of opposite schools, I should look there first.

This is probably an incredibly dumb idea, but maybe the cap could be tied to # of runes collected? It seems like the main issue is that the race is fun, right up until about when you get your first rune and you have nothing to train any more. Maybe either increase the limit for each run collected (capped after 4 or 5), or give you the opportunity to bust cap on one skill when you collect a rune. Different, potentially flavorful (maybe the race can absorb the rune's power, somehow?), and could encourage some interesting behavior in that it would potentially become beneficial to try and swoop up runes as quick as possible rather than, for example, doing all but the bottom floor of both lair branches before going for either of them.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I know it's been said a few times before - but guy who wrote the Council god, you rock. This god totally changes how you play a melee character (in precisely the way that Oka or Trog don't) in a fantastic way. I'm playing a MiFi right now, which is normally as vanilla as you can get, and having a loving blast backflipping over enemies, whirlwinding through crowds, etc.

Couple quick questions -
Does invocations affect any of the abilities?
For the debuff on whirlwind - is that only for the slow effect, and not the "attack on move" part?
Does whirlwind always attack all adjacent enemies, ala cleave?

Thanks!

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

SteelNeuron posted:

Thank you! It's very encouraging :). I hope you guys who like WJC give me feedback on the upcoming Skeleton experimental branch.

Invocations does not affect any of the abilities.

Not sure I understand your question on whirlwind: whirlwind deals damage and has a chance to apply a slow debuff on any enemy.

Whirlwind attacks any enemies that were adjacent before the move, and that are still adjacent after the move.

Oops, sorry, I meant cooldown, not debuff. So basically, the way I understand it is it will attack still-adjacent enemies every time, but only potentially apply the slow status every 6 turns or so, right?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Mu. posted:

I am not sure how I was able to have a divine umbra of darkness around me either, given the flavour of my species. It's pretty funny to be surrounded by darkness right up until a single additional layer of vision, granted because shadows flee at my approach. Mixed signals, man.

Hopping is very good and at level 13 you complete your two-week programme of Frog Tech and your legs begin literally rippling with muscles, allowing you to hop even further.

Dithmenos the God of Moronic Decisions and Casting Spells Twice

I found a wand of scattershot and it was bad. I found a wand of clouds and didn't zap it. I found a scarf and didn't wear it. I never used any of Dithmenos' active abilities and have no idea what they do. In conclusion .20 is extremely good. Thank you for reading.

This is a good post and the way all critiques of new content should be written from here on out.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Just found the autumn katana on D:6 with a GrFi that has 10 points in M&F. Worth switching to long blades for or nah?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

I Love You! posted:

Unless you already have a great evenstar or demon whip, of course.

It's almost always worth swapping if you find an endgame 1hander from another 1hander skill since it doesn't really take that many points before you are way stronger than you were before.

Thanks for the advice. Only took two more dungeon levels to get the katana down to mindelay and now I'm absolutely melting everything I run into. I'm sure this means a horrific, stupid death is right around the corner.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Up to evoc 16 and have been blasting everything with the rod and all the wands I've picked up. Weakening stuff with the evoc items and then wading in wu jian kung fu is amazing for destroying crowds.

Wait. I thought there were no rods in trunk anymore?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

quote:

1770955 rj54x the Impregnable (level 27, 189/189 HPs)
Began as a Gargoyle Fighter on Mar 16, 2017.
Was the Champion of Makhleb.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 3 runes on Mar 20, 2017!

The game lasted 06:06:33 (70460 turns).

rj54x the Impregnable (Gargoyle Fighter) Turns: 70460, Time: 06:06:34

Health: 189/189 AC: 78 Str: 25 XL: 27
Magic: 43/43 EV: 16 Int: 11 God: Makhleb [******]
Gold: 4979 SH: 21 Dex: 18 Spells: 26/26 levels left

rFire + + . SeeInvis . a - +8 autumn katana {slice, Clar}
rCold + . . Gourm . A - +12 gold dragon scales
rNeg + + . Faith . M - +5 shield {reflect}
rPois ∞ Spirit + W - +2 hat {MR+}
rElec + Reflect + Y - +2 cloak "Nodiqulute" {+Blink rN+ Str-4}
rCorr . Harm . t - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
MR +++++ Clarity + q - +2 pair of boots
Stlth .......... L - amulet of guardian spirit
Regen 0.5/turn K - ring of Mawuovve {+Blink rPois MR++ MP+9 Stlth-}
MPRegen 0.3/turn h - ring of Wasisk {rElec rF+ AC+5}

@: flying, very slightly contaminated, hasted, very quick
A: big wings, hooves 1, agile 1, low mp 1, negative energy resistance 1,
electricity resistance, strong 1, unbreathing, petrification resistance, rot
immunity, AC +20
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, silver, gossamer
a: Stop Flying, Minor Destruction, Lesser Servant of Makhleb, Major Destruction,
Greater Servant of Makhleb, Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink

Gargoyle hits 115 points of defences in 3-rune game, nerf Gargoyle.

(Don't actually nerf Gargoyle, in a game like Crawl it's good for different species / backgrounds / gods to have differing power levels)

(Any item with +blink is more broken than Wu Jian wall jump was by giving free escape option for a minimal evocations investment, without needing to be adjacent to a wall. They're admittedly rare, but hell I found two of 'em this game)

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

First - this article is really cool, and it's neat to see a little niche community-developed game like this get coverage on a widely popular site like RPS.

However - I really don't understand the rationale on cutting the length of all the typical 3-rune branches (lair, lair branches, depths, vaults) even further. If it came with new XP waiting to make the amount of XP in the shorter branches roughly equivalent, I could kind've understand it - but my guess is it won't, and XP already feels really tight in a 3-rune game for any hybrid character.

And what's up with the constant desire to make the game harder? It's hard. Really loving hard. I've been playing for two years, and have 5 wins across 219 games - 2.28%, which is still slightly higher than the average (and all on pretty easy Species/Background/God combinations). Granted, maybe I just suck, but the early game is already so difficult as a spellcaster that I rarely play them, even though they're way more fun than meleer's by midgame. What's the rationale that leads one to draw the conclusion that what the game really needs is more difficulty?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

yowza

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Finally got around to ascending an Uskayaw guy. The "solo" ability and pain link let me put out absolutely absurd amounts of damage to groups - it really did manage to encourage me to dive headfirst into crowds when I'd normally be luring back to a murder hole somewhere. I felt like I barely used stomp (was using a vampiric axe for most of the game, which seemed to do the same amount of damage + vampirism) or line pass, and while grand finale was super cool when it worked, it failed too often against tough enemies. I usually wound up getting to *****, hitting stomp just enough to get my piety down far enough to solo again, and repeating. I think I may have gotten more mileage out of the active abilities if I had focused Invocations earlier, but even relying mostly on the passives he still felt very powerful.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Quick question - what's the best way to handle an EV-focused melee'r? I've been trying to get a MfGl off the ground, and they do very well at the beginning - but it seems like by about mid-late lair, the inherent swinginess of low-ac high-EV damage catches up to me, and I get knocked to half health in one hit and then killed while trying to run away.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I'm sure bitching about tavern is fairly verboten, but this thread - https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23390&sid=90b08f983cbc7a65325d0d22e6f28995 - is such a shining example of the weird mindset around crawl development. On one hand, we have any number of instances where the position taken is that flavor and fun are not important and totally separate/secondary to concerns of what HOM might do. On the other hand, we have pages and pages of people arguing about how lajatangs need to go because they're examples of "oriental mysticism" or saying there's a problem with loving lindwurms because they're based on a german word?

I just don't get it.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I liked the boulder beetles. There are plenty of other enemies that are also never really a credible threat - at least the beetles had a fun gimmick.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Just found a set of altars on D:1 as a DeFE - Chei, Ru, Nemelex, Zim, Ash. Obviously a D1 altar is sweet, but I've never played any of these gods as a caster before. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Trunko posted:

Finally got two runes with my formid, and the promptly got pounded into the pavement on vault 5.

What is a good strategy for ants on vault 5? I managed to stair dance up and down several times and felt like I was doing alright but then the vault guardian locked the stairs. With no Tele I just had to stand there and get crushed.

I've had good luck using abyss as a 3rd rune for ants. Still a little dicey without escape options, but the tunneling makes it easier to find places to get out of sight of the worst threats (wretched stars and the like).

• Locked thread