Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
You ought to include the Knowledge Bot in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Razzled posted:

umm is Orc mines only 2 levels now?

Yes, but it ought to be 3

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

1) DECj of Sif or Veh

2) TrMo trying to get casting online

3) New gods are Hep, Uka, and partially reformed Sif.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Because they're molten

Edit: how good is PArrow these days? Worth it in spider & shoals?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 10, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Goddam Veh gave me LCS, Chain Lightning, and Shatter. I have 0 earth and 6 Air. Guess I gotta save up the $1800 for Annihilations if I want Firestorm

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Depends on your god? Some can go full-ninja and steal 3 runes. Others might want to crosstrain into LBl or rely on Invo/Evo

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Araganzar posted:

I have been changing spells as I find amnesia. The removal of book amnesia means a late vehumet convert has big time issues if they have poor scroll luck.

Ideally I'd lose Bolt of Fire and Iron Shot and add shatter, cblink, and servitor but I haven't found any of them with 4 runes down.

Doesn't sound much different. Why Tomb before Hell, has something changed? If anything Tomb looks harder now. I thought people might do Tomb before something easy to have time to get their stats back.

You can always trawl Pan or Abyss for easy xp by the time you're ready for Tomb or Hell

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Removing RestAb is high on the list of dumb things.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

someone awful. posted:

It's cool, you guys. I'm Crawling for escapism myself, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Yeah, it's either Crawl at work, or browse something with post-election news all over it.

But anyway, I've got two questions:
1) On CBRO I've decided to play an automatic-skill-MiFi challenge. It's been a cakewalk, but now I have a potion of Exp at the bottom of Orc (got chased out of L:1 by a hydra) and I'm not sure what to dump it in. Somebody come look at my dude. Grandpa Oka hasn't given me poo poo this time.

2) On my cell phone I've got a DEFE of Veh and I need advice about what spells to take. LCS or OoD? Firestorm? I've had good luck with Summon Ice Beast paired with Freezing Cloud well into lategame when the Beasts otherwise would fall off, is that & Servitor reliable enough to get into summoning for? I'm lvl 22 and feeling a crunch on available spell levels, but have books of Power, Conjurations, and Annihilations available, and can buy a whole bunch of other ones.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Trip report on relying entirely on Auto-Skilling as a MiFi: It works really really well, except that it doesn't put enough into Invo & Evo. Started juggling spells skills after my first 2 runes to try to get some support spells online. Would probably be possible to 3-rune a Berserker with only ever setting weapon skill to * instead of + but otherwise never touching skills (maybe making sure Evo gets enough love post-lair).

Died in Vaults 5 to being swarmed while in sight of 2 Entropic Weavers. Should have popped tele as soon as the first one showed up. Also should have farmed up more XP in Depths before trying to face-tank the ambush.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//Speleothing/morgue-Speleothing-20161112-214601.txt

edit: Also, check out all those uniques on Snake:4

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 13, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

rj54x posted:

I actually disagree. I think getting shafted, and then having to desperately search for the quickest path to an upstair, is a fun and interesting thing.

Then again, i also think getting abyssed is a fun mechanic, so maybe I'm just weird.

The Abyss exists in a weird gray area where if you're too weak it's a death sentence, too strong and it's boring. Getting banished at about XL 17-21 is the ideal zone of good encounters.
Maybe if you're below a certain level, Altars to Lugonu should show up super frequently, and have wrath be reduced if you switch inside the Abyss.

Shafts are good after about XL 6 and never stop being exciting.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I've never had trouble with Shoals??? It's really not that bad.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

When I play a tab-melee character, after mindelay on my top-tier weapon (+1 or +2 drain buffer), I tend to just leave one or more of my defenses on turned on at all times, even while skilling spells or evo.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Mahkleb allies or Abyss scumming, probably.

Edit: going super-stealthy would help too. Nightstalker Ds of Dith?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 17, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I'm pretty sure they can show up in the abyss. It's just rarer because you teleport to new maps pretty often

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

How good are Mana Vipers in extended? I'm thinking of dropping PArrow now that it's outlived its usefulness.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I would have Firestorm, Shatter, and Glaciate. So damage output is good, if not very target-specific, maybe I should drop one of those three for OoD.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

It's possible, but you have to play console. I don't know if the app on the Google Play store has updated to the most recent version yet.

I play Android console every day during my lunch break. It works even on a fairly small phone, but only has the latest stable version, not Trunk. I imagine it will update to 0.19 in the next couple weeks.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Just buy all your food :downs:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Carcer posted:

Whats a good brand for a triple sword? I've got an elec one but I'm thinking either flaming or freezing would be better.

E: Shoals 4: Bai Suzhen, Polyphemus and Mara encountered so far, ilsuiw still hiding somewhere.

EE: Found her, she spawned with a summoning scroll for good measure.

EEE: Can formicids get abyssed?

Freezing is technically a slightly better endgame brand than flaming. Because draconians and OoFs.

Try to ninja the rune.

Formicids can get abyssed.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Seems like bad luck.
Elf has really good loot, and you honestly need the XP now that Lair, lair branches, and Orc have been cut back so much. No reason to skip it unless you're a stabber.

Sorcerers and High Priests are definitely the most dangerous elves, though.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 26, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Looks like a +8 Sacred Scourge to me

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Darox posted:

Honestly with any berserker you can just turn fighting/armour/dodging on and focus your weapon skill at the start then leave it like that for the entire game and do fine.

Treat riposte as a nice bonus rather than a significant source of damage. In a recent 15 rune win I got the ring of shaolin early (so had lots of free EV) AND got the fencer gloves (so I had a much higher riposte chance) but in the end I still only something like 1 riposte for every 10 sword swings that game. The damage increase from extra ev is really tiny.

OTOH Dodging skill is always useful and a MiBe has a glut of xp since you don't need any invo/stealth/casting, so get some even if you're wearing heavy armour. Looking at the blue skill cost numbers can help you balance things out.

You can clear the Lair branches with auto-skilling if you're a MiFi with a low-investment god or a MiBe. Skill allocation is pretty forgiving for them.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yeah. You can occasionally swap in Evo or Throwing if you're using them a lot.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Lost my lunchbreak DEFE of Veh today.
7 runes; relevant spell skills at 23+; 25 dodge, 19 fighting, and 19 evo; Firestorm, Glaciate, and Shatter at 2-4% depending on rings. Bunch of lvl6 spells. Crushed Zot, Tomb & Cerebov like little babies but got overconfident with a random PanLord one-on-one.

My comments on exploring deep into postgame with a character that I was willing to risk:
A) Bring back rMut.
Even killing Necqoxecs in one hit, Cacodemons in two, and Orbs in three isn't fast enough to deal with their bullshit. And I had the Hat Of The Alchemist, afaik the only remaining source outside of race/god

B) Make the Pan runes spawn faster. I went through about twenty levels, mostly completely cleared, before I found my only one

C) BRING BACK BUFFS I kept dropping spell levels into different flavors of attack spells because there aren't many defensive spells left.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 2, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Carcer posted:

Its a good survey and the perfect platform for pushing for CRAB RACE.

Is that a new Sprint map?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Sojenus posted:

all i want for christmas is perfectly resistant rMut or removal of malmutate/addition of a playable crab race

i tried coming up with ideas for a crab race and all i could think of was innate spiny/claws, hats because a crab wearing a hat is great, and some sort of survivability mechanic related to crustaceans not feeling pain (although i think current research is leaning towards them in fact feeling pain)

alternatively remove the dancing god and incorporate the mechanics into one big joke race of fiddler crabs

Fiddler species start with one hand missing in exchange for a unique Claws mutation. Very high armor aptitude. Also water-breathing.

Also, in Crab Race you have to be sure to close the doors behind you so that the pursuing crabs don't catch up.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

LordSloth posted:

. . . The guardian golem is really nice when it explodes, leaving behind lasting clouds of flame- . . . . . . I have not yet tried the * ability to cast without mp, since I found a ring of magic early . . .

a) WHY is this effect not listed? I've been skipping guardian golem because it can't so much as throw a punch

b) I have never gotten a rune with a mage without either a ring of magic or staff of power. It's such an essential piece of gear that I kind of think that MP should just be boosted

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I really wish Jivya would get revamped so we could have Jelly Knights as a starting class

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

no, it's a "these were actually annoying yet optimal for actual human beings playing the game" argument.

if you miss stoneskin/phaseshift/flamebrand/etc. you live in a different universe than me, those spells were all annoying

No they weren't. They were valuable for lots of players, particularly melee types, who had time to cast a spell or two between seeing a dangerous enemy and engaging. They were also a good investment of spell levels for people who had lvl 8 & 9 attack spells online and needed to up their survivability quickly.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Can I pause this argument for a moment to confirm the consensus that Ogres need a positive (+1 or better) M&F apt?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

That's the point, that Ogres have xp problems which aren't solved by making it harder to kill things.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I think we call those lamps, phials, and sacks

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

You also have the option to create your own branch, and if the only thing you care about is high elves, you probably just need to learn git to exclude any updates related to the removal of high elves. The species_data code is actually pretty modular and simple compared to what it used to be, and high elves don't have any special abilities that could be deleted, so it should be relatively easy to maintain.

Not if we want our wins recorded online. Or want spectators. Or want to post our morgues for advice.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

For the second point, streaming sites are available and you can always post a link in the thread or the Discord. For the third, the functionality to dump a morgue is already a function of the game, and you can proceed to paste bin it for advice.

Requiring outside services for functions I used to have at my fingertips. And crawl has plenty enough lag without trying to stream.

Now I guess I get to start a list of things that need to be fixed:
* rMut
* Malmutate
* High level buffs
* Ogre M&F apt
* Pan runes take too long to spawn

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Leaving without the rune ought to not count as a loss. I mean, you were smart enough to recognize that you're not strong enough to win, right?

Internet Kraken posted:

He's played 2000+ HE games but only 16 Tengu games so maybe that's why he thinks they are really similar.
:captainpop:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Was playing 0.19 on my phone today. OgHu, got a +2 GSC of Speed {rF+, rElec, rN+} on d:4 ish.

Proceeded to smash absolutely everything, no fucks given. Until I died to hubris vs acid blobs.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

dpeg posted:

I don't think Haste Other would be a good spell: it'd improve the power of your crew considerably. At the expense of coming relatively late, I guess? I could see the effect on a wand, but not on a spell. Thinking about ally buffs is interesting, but I find it hard to come up with ideas that don't fall flat outright. The reason for this, of course, is that spells demand much higher standards than consumables or god powers.

Regular Brogue advertisement: that game has a staff (Brogue's spell equivalent) of haste other.

In my opinion, you could drop it to level 5 and it would be fairly easy to cast in heavier armors, and there are a lot of gods that provide ally summons (also Hep buddies wouldn't need to have haste-self as a spell). It would also serve a beckoning-like function in getting chaff to stand between you and something really dangerous while you high-tailed it to the stairs.

And wands of Haste can already be targeted, unless you're proposing one with a lot more charges to spend on your allies..

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

dpeg posted:

Re: wands of haste: There's been discussion about removing all of /haste, /heal wounds, /teleportation, and one can hope this will happen before 0.20.

Better revamp Ru, then.

I read the dev wiki occasionally, and really like the postgame-roulette for 11 total runes idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Those wands are kind of insane. It's easy to compensate on a finer grained basis with the consumable versions, do characters really need the force multiplier of what is effectively like, a random 15-stack of haste potions?

Actually, yes. We do

• Locked thread