Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Thank you SteelNeuron for your addition to the game! Haven't played it yet but it sounds like a very fun god, and fun is paramount.

I think the Simple/Intermediate/Advanced groupings for race selection is a very good change. New players should always be considered when changing the game. But why are Barachians "advanced"? They're easier than humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Araganzar posted:

In other crawl news really worth caring about what the hell happened to my ring of Shaolin?

Probably the same thing that happened to The Sword of Jihad.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Ideas for a fork name of Dungeon Crawl that cherry-picks changes from DCSS? Asking for a friend.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
What version would you have him start from? He wants Singularity back so it'll have to be at least 0.16.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Speleothing posted:

You could start in .19 and just roll back bad changes. A lot of the worst poo poo is scheduled to be in the .20 release.

True, just wondering about things that are before my time. I think I played 0.14 when it was new, but it was 0.18 where I started playing a ton and following development.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

World Famous W posted:

Whatever version it is, need to include the Crown. Will look for the change that removed it in the github later when on comp.
That's on the shortlist.

Floodkiller posted:

Edit: It would be good to compile a list of what you would want in your branch vs DCSS before doing either.
That is going to be hard. There's no one single thing that I'm married to, but there's definitely a style of change that I'm opposed to which merits a fork. Crawl is becoming more and more Crawl: Tournament Edition. Things that are 100% the best in the game, always viable for every character with no drawbacks should be avoided, definitely. But catering to those who have beaten the game hundreds of times is wrong. Nerfing the poo poo out of a new developer's creation because it can be abused, while people are playing it and having fun with it is wrong.

And removing flavor without adding more makes the game dull. Soon elves will be Tux penguins at this rate of genericism.

I'm not making any promises right now, it's just an idea. But I think the game needs a fork and soon.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Would definitely be nice to have help, so I'll work out a list of the most important things when I can. I've been away from the game for a while, which is the hard part as I don't know everything that I'd revert yet. But I do know that I love playing this game, still kind of suck at beating it despite a pretty good knowledge of it, and want it to stay great. I'm not a great developer but I'm a pretty good scripter/editor, so maintaining such a project is within my skills.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
my team: You are now leaving Flavor Town

is accepting members.

e: will wait until I can actually make a team.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 19, 2017

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Floodkiller posted:

I'm up for joining (and probably the other schadenfreude members) if you're still planning on making a team and willing to have us again. Otherwise, I'll probably make a team and steal Deep Elf State as a name because that was way better than any of mine.

Also, here's some more flavor related titles if you are interested:
Diet Stone Soup
Flavor Sold Separately
Waiter You Served Me A Bowl of Water

I'll join your team, whatever name you want.

e: also, if someone wants to PM me an updated OP, I'll be happy to edit it. Was hoping there would be a new thread so someone else could do it, but here we are.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 23, 2017

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Wolfechu posted:

Where are folks gonna be hanging out for the tourney? Discord? I hardly ever remember to have IRC open nowadays.

The discord server was born for the last tournament and has stayed relatively active since. I'll be there while I play. ##crawl is a little too noisy for me.

Still the same link as in OP: https://discord.gg/3JEyRYg

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Thanks to Floodkiller for updating the OP info to .20!

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Prism posted:

I'm having real trouble getting people to join my team. They do the # TEAMCAPTAIN, I do the # TEAMMEMBERS, but only like half of them are actually shown on my team on the scoring boards (even though I can see their games in progress).

I wonder if it's related to the lag, or because all the people who are having trouble play on berotato.

make sure they're putting it on the very first line of the rcfile.

I grabbed the 5th win of the tourny. :smugdog:

Not much to say about it, standard steamrolling antman with some lucky drops.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
favorite .20 change: Ignition

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
please adopt hellcrawl's spooky skellie race into regular crawl :hb:

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

someone awful. posted:

More people in this thread should play and talk about hellcrawl, imo. I've picked it up recently and it feels pretty good to play, though I definitely suck at it compared to normal Crawl and haven't even gotten a rune yet

You can play it on cbro!

I've been playing it a bunch and enjoy it. The branches are really tough without stairs, still haven't even reached Hell yet. And it's a nice change of pace to read through a changelog without rolling my eyes. Here's a recent one that tickled my fancy
code:
 Move magical staves to the shield slot.

Major goal: enforce a tradeoff with defenses for spellcasting characters that want more power or spell success.
Minor goal: discourage excessive staff swapping.
Major goal: allow players to roleplay as Gandalf more effectively.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Strange that the crawl wiki would mention Mennas is named after a Catholic saint when other things were getting renamed left and right. :catholic:

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Prism posted:

The tournament will be on January 5 through 21.

Confirmed in: Wu Jian in its newest form, gnolls, wand/recharge updates, monster spawn changes, training targets, some other stuff (it's all in that link).

someone else can do the .21 OP. I'll play in the tourney, but I'm mostly playing Hellcrawl these days.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

TildeATH posted:

Christ why is playing an octopode such a trial? Is it supposed to be not fun? I feel like the early game is "Oh a ghost/bad roll/anyone with armor" means you're dead. I just wanted to play with rings, man.
it's fun (to me), but absolutely a major dice roll. I've played over 400 Octopode Transmuter games and won once. Just gotta hope for some good early AC/EV/Slay rings, hope to find a book of Statue Form, and wrap those tentacles around Chei or Gozag, depending on if you want to have insane stats with good escape options, or shop for new rings every once in a while. Spam Sticks to Snakes while running from tough guys (don't fight most ghosts). Get Ice Form castable ASAP and prefer it over Blade Hands until you have decent AC.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
artist rendering of my latest death to my arch nemesis #1 killer, Lommy the Destroyer.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

cheetah7071 posted:

In hellcrawl, is there any way to check the current MP cost of a permanent buff?

press I twice, or "Z?I"

the minimum cost of the buff is equal to its spell level.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 9, 2017

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
was just having a problem in hellcrawl on berotato where Vaults:3 (the last level) was crashing every ~20 seconds and reverting me to an old save. Caused me to die because I was trying to rush through the same parts over and over and save+quit before the crash happened, but getting worse luck each time.

I've had the odd crash here and there in hellcrawl before, but Vaults:3 was consistently crashing before I could get much done. Don't know if Hellmonk reads this thread but I don't post about crawl anywhere else.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

cheetah7071 posted:

My hellcrawl game keeps crashing 10-20 turns into trying to tackle V:3

Hellmonk just popped into my game to tell me the crashing should be fixed and a patch pushed tonight. :cheers:

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Cheibro statue octopus dudes got me my first win in Hellcrawl! The orb run is much more intense than vanilla, and feels so rewarding when you reach the dungeon exit. Dealing with hell + pan lords + orb effects is nutty. I love the pacing of hellcrawl; it consistently gets harder and doesn't put you through any long stretches of mindless floor diving to get all the runes. And it can be completed in about the same time as a 3-rune game of vanilla which is nice.

quote:

144535914 jerkstore the Wrestler (level 27, 212/232 HPs)
Began as an Octopode Transmuter on Dec 14, 2017.
Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 9 runes!

The game lasted 02:43:39 (47738 turns).

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/jerkstore/morgue-jerkstore-20171214-051736.txt

:love: :fork:

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

tweet my meat posted:

I would probably laugh at goons too with how hyperbolic and heated this thread always gets whenever something gets removed. "The devs literally do not want the game to be fun" is an idea that gets tossed around a whole lot in this thread and it's pretty silly.

Get one paper cut and nobody will take you seriously when you complain how much it hurts. Crawl is death by a thousand cuts, with the torturers laughing each time one is given.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Internet Kraken posted:

The idea of 'Stone Soup' is that an entire community contributes different ingredients to the soup to create a full meal. Everyone contributes a little bit and the end result is a substantial meal they all can enjoy. Crawl presumably took the name because its a community developed project that took input from tons of different people in the past.

Nowadays with the extreme vetting the devs put into every change its not really an appropriate name...

Dungeon Crawl: Vegetable Broth

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

PMush Perfect posted:

Dungeon Crawl: Soup*

* Stone was removed for being too confusing to new players.

Dungeon Crawl: Food Ration *

* Soup was renamed to Food Ration to reduce redundancy

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Tourney and 0.21 are tomorrow. Anyone want to make a new thread or should I just edit this one again? I know there's zero enthusiasm for vanilla here but hey :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
New thread: Crawl .21: Stick a Fork In It

• Locked thread