Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LordSloth posted:

What's the problem? Can't you walk through fountains? I'm missing something obvious

Literally the first enemy in the game being a gnoll can easily kill many combos. Would be better if that enchanted flail was venom though, just to really hammer home how much crawl wants you to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ahahaha the first Nem combo is Octopode Warper. Good luck with that garbage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"I don't have rElec so I'll just polymorph all these shock serpents! What a clever idea."

quote:

The shock serpent evaporates and reforms as a shining eye!

Oh well gently caress you too Crawl. :geno:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

The cacodemon completely misses you. You riposte. You slice the cacodemon!!
The cacodemon convulses!! You bite the cacodemon!

Vine stalkers being able to bite on a riposte is pretty drat nice.

EDIT: Riposte is also really funny with beckoning.

quote:

The ice devil hurls suddenly forward! The ice devil barely misses you.
You riposte. You slice the ice devil!! The ice devil convulses!!

resistentialism posted:

Sonja is dangerous but super weak to just about any kind of dirty trick you can pull. It's not worth it going toe-to-toe with her.

Yeah even with no evocations investment her crap MR means you can trivialize her with a wand of confusion or paralysis.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 6, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20161106-022452.txt

Well that feels nice. Just wish I didn't splat to a D:1 gnoll before this.

Felt like doing something easier to get back into Crawl. Game threw good gear at me so it wasn't terribly difficult. I was gonna use short blades more this run but when the game gives you a double sword branded with holy wrath its hard NOT to use it. Got to play with beckoning and I'm shocked at how good it is. No roll whatsoever? Works on magic immune enemies? You just pull poo poo over to you and butcher them. Range sucks at low power but it gives me a reason to invest heavily in translocations even on melee characters.

Also Gozag reasons;

quote:

The Serpent of Hell comes into view.
Your Serpent of Hell grins greedily, jangling a coin purse.
You hear diabolical laughter!

Need to come up with a good character to go with Hep and Uska though. I was going to follow Uska this run but didn't realize none of its abilities heal.

EDIT: And no streak because D:1 adder. Oh but I'm an assassin! Oh all of my curare needles missed thanks Crawl :thumbsup:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 6, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Araganzar posted:

Started a Nem Choice GrEn and found this shop on D3:
code:
Welcome to Jafeopp's Magic Scroll Shoppe! What would you like to do?
 a $   33 gold   a scroll of remove curse
 b $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 c $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 d $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 e $   33 gold   a scroll of teleportation
 f $   82 gold   a scroll of blinking (unknown)
 g $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 h $  104 gold   a scroll of recharging (unknown)
i $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
Worth it to get these and use them on a +0 (edit: +5) short sword of elec?

Not really worth it. On a short sword of elec, most of the damage will come from the brand. Heavily enchanting a weapon you will only be using for a relatively short amount of time isn't a great idea. You're better off coming back later to buy the enchant scrolls.

The blinking and teleport scrolls should of been your first priority to ensure you actually survive long enough to find a weapon worth enchanting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For the purpose of building piety, does Uskayaw consider kills by allies to be worth as much or counted at all?

Also what happens if a formicid with innate clarity casts borg's while in death's door?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

500658 InternetKraken the Unseen (level 26, 0/216 HPs)
Began as a Formicid Assassin on Nov 6, 2016.
Was a Follower of Uskayaw.
Blown up by an eye of devastation (13 damage)
... with a bolt of energy
... on level 5 of the Pits of Slime on Nov 7, 2016.
The game lasted 05:12:42 (57532 turns).

Legit kind of annoyed with this loss. I don't know why the gently caress the walls in slime vanish now but it makes dealing with TRJs mountain of slimes on death stupidly dangerous. They don't give any Uska piety when you fight them and its a wide open area where tons of them can keep coming. Oh and you can't do anything if your corrosion resistance just decides to not work since there's no way to repair corrosion damage. So then you do no damage and also take more.

Fucks sake.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Goodpancakes posted:

InternetKraken stop leaving your ghost all over the dungeon

I'M TILTED OKAY :saddowns:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FeSu; because I'm sure as gently caress not killing anything on my own

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can we go back to flayed ghosts being a joke because they are rapidly climbing up my most loathed enemy list.

EDIT: WHY IS THIS STILL A THING I THOUGHT IT WAS REMOVED FINALLY :argh:

quote:

You feel a terrible foreboding...
You are heavily infused with residual magic.

Red glow just for being in hell. Use all my cancellation potions and get blurry vision. Thanks Crawl! :thumbsup:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 9, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think "force_more_message +=" is one of the more useful rcfile additions, since it sometimes stops you from getting yourself in a poo poo situation because you kept mashing tab. Examples of ones I use;

quote:

force_more_message += shining eye comes into view
force_more_message += Mara comes into view
force_more_message += Mennas comes into view
force_more_message += orb of fire comes into view
force_more_message += ancient lich comes into view
force_more_message += caustic shrike comes into view
force_more_message += juggernaut comes into view
force_more_message += calcifying dust hits you

This will force pause the game when those monsters enter LOS for the first time. The last one keeps me from spending more than one turn in calcifying dust like an idiot.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This tournament has been going terribly for me so instead of splatting more I drew another bad picture.

Pretty sure they only spawn in special vaults which are absurdly rare. They'd be absurd as a normal enemy.

Haifisch posted:

I sure am glad they took out restore abilities potions. And that I ate the purple.

Fortunately a Trog worshiper has no need for brains.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 11, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Doesn't the hexer have an antimagic quickblade? That's still gonna be powerful against tons of monsters that are immune to hexes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get the love for Death's Door. I mean I understand why its a good spell but its just so scary to use! :ohdear:

Also I'm afraid to refresh it right after it expires because I think a miscast effect could kill me.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 12, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well the game took pity on me splatting two characters in extended like a moron and gave me my best run ever. Thank you Wyrmbane!

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20161112-073143.txt

Uskayaw seems like an extremely strong god. Amazing abilities, most of which can be used the second you start worshiping him. You just need to be able to endure some hits, sure, but if you do stand and fight you'll probably just decimate entire groups of enemies with ease. Grand finale is just absurd. Being able to blow up any enemy in the game, no questions asked? I can't believe that was included. With an amulet of faith you can build up piety super fast as well. You can cut through some trash enemies and then stomp on a unique when you round a corner to face them.

If Pak was considered overpowered I dunno how Uska isn't but whatever, its a super fun god so I hope he gets to stick around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

hito posted:

Also there's virtually never a reason to scroll-ID a ring; if you have absolutely no ?RemoveCurse and are worried about a cursed tele ring or something, just keep it in your pocket. Better to save scroll IDs for potions and amulets (which can have some gnarly effects when you remove them). But rings and armor should just be wear-ID'd.

Absolutely not. Any artifact should never be worn ID'd unless you have no scrolls. Otherwise you run the risk of equipping a lovely artifact that has *drain or *contam. Drain really sucks in the short term, but contam can potentially gently caress up your whole game if you get bad muts from it. Odds are you won't have a bunch of cancellation potions to chug and cancel out its effects.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Devlan Mud posted:

Please change the 27 Bows title to something less dumb than "Merry (species)" thanks.

Why are you complaining about one of the best titles in the game???

I'm glad my first online win was as a Merry Octopus.

Poison Mushroom posted:

FR: Christmas race

Evergreen Stalker

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've never used Maxwell's because -cast is a joke. Pure melee characters are too boring for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Weeping Wound posted:

huh, the 27-skill title for Staves is Chief of Staff :cripes:

Its perfect is what it is.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20161115-020844.txt

So Hep is pretty good. Beat my record again because gargoyles are still stupidly good, and Hep is a really good god once you get going. Having a meatshield you can always hide behind is very good for an archer once you get portal projectile. Lets you handle a lot of stuff safely. I don't think I got malmutated once this game just because my faithful ghost was always blocking LOS for me. The Knight is pretty durable even in extended, and if you make liberal use of idealize it'll pretty much never die. Transference is a skill I probably didn't utilize enough; it was only at the end of my run that I realized you can transfer the ghost to an empty space and also the space you occupy. I thought it had to be where an enemy was.

odiv posted:

I came across a Kraken Simulacrum in the barnacled rune vault and it had regular tentacles. It was weird.

Pretty sure that's just a visual error. Nobody has made tentacle sprites for simulacrum, so the game uses the normal ones.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its a positive mutation! Be thankful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just lost a really good character in Zot because of the stupid acid vault. Got hit up to like -20 corrosion fighting the draconians outside waiting for my tele to kick in. Instead of putting me literally anywhere else, it put me in the middle of the vault. Then I died trying to chain chug heal wounds while I waited for the second tele. Wouldn't of died if I had remember that resistance potions give rCorr. But the worst part is earlier I dropped my rCorr ring in a Zig because "I already cleared Slime, not really gonna need this anymore."

This is the third rune capable character I've lost lately. Feeling pretty annoyed with myself.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mystery Prize posted:

That sucks, dude. I've learned to always have rCorr handy even after Slime, because Caustic Shrikes (and to a lesser extent Yellow Draconians) are loving terrifying.

I always do Depths before Slime so caustic shrikes aren't an issue (though I dread the day a dev decides they should spawn in Dis). Its still nice to have rCorr due to the occasional enemy corrosion (rust devils mostly) but this is the first time I've straight up died because I neglected it after Slime.

I need to readjust my mental state when it comes to Zot:1-4. I'm so used to teleports being an easy bail out even when you come across the really nasty Zot vaults. Now that the orb effect applies to all of Zot, the whole place is way more deadly. Doesn't help that I keep forgetting about that change until I've been sitting for a few turns waiting for a tele to go off, wondering why it hasn't occurred already.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Poison Mushroom posted:

What're the breakpoints for weapon-independent skills?

Like, I know with most weapon skills, the breakpoints are '1.0' and 'mindelay', and Spellcasting's is "Spel * Int >= multiple of 50" for spell hunger, etc.

What about fighting, or dodging, or stealth? Do I really need to break out the calculator every time, or are there other reasonable rule of thumb options? Armor = current armor's encumbrance rating?

Its character dependent. You train those skills until they reach a level you find comfortable. I don't think they have diminishing returns; which is to say, a level of fighting is always gonna give the same benefits at 5 as it does at 20. The exp cost for raising skills when they reach high levels is enormous though, so I usually turn skills off once they reach 20 unless I have nothing else I want to put points into it.

I always prioritize raising fighting to 10 in the early game because I hate having low HP. I always raise my defensive stats to levels I'm comfortable with as well. Stealth I don't bother with at all unless I'm gonna be relying on it, in which case I crank it up as much as possible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh another buckler Okawaru? Gee, dunno why you thought I needed a third one when I have 3 already and zero shields skill :mad:

Give me a triple crossbow already you old gently caress.

EDIT: Or I can just die to an orb of destruction slinging ghost

I hate this tournament

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 17, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Is it possible for people to take high level chars and suicide them on earlier floors just to leave ridiculously annoying ghosts behind because that demonspawn assassin ghost was a bastard.

Yes, but ghosts will only show up in more than one game if the player dies on the same floor as them. So trying to troll people with high level ghosts doesn't work since its so easy to get rid of them without actually fighting them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

How about the abyss?

I've never actually seen a player ghost in the abyss. I'm not even sure they can show up there. I mean there should be plenty of low level ghosts on Abyss:1 that fell victim to distortion.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Generally speaking, sitting in melee range of a hyrda is a terrible idea as most characters in lair. Even with a weapon effective versus them, their damage output is truly frightening for such early monsters. They are the perfect target for whatever offensive wands you have found so far.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only place I use Bribe is Hell. Use it after reaching level 7 of a branch, and it'll last you up until the rune guardian for sure. After that it'll probably expire before the next one but I'll have stockpiled enough gold that I can afford more than one bribe anyways. Fiends and such being affected by bribe makes the place a lot less dangerous and easier to get through.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't like using Bribe anywhere outside of extended. Its a super powerful ability but its wicked expensive and using it means you get less exp and gold on top of what you spend. If I was playing a really weak character just struggling to even get 3 runes I might be that's never happened to me as a Gozag follower. Setting up shops means you often have a surplus of consumables to use so you don't have to be so stingy with them.

Its greedy but Gozag is all about that!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Idea to make Ignacio more threatening: Make him guaranteed to show up on a random floor occupied by the named Pan Lords. That way he has chance of showing up in an area where you can't just ignore him so easily.

Of course most players will probably still just stomp him since its extended and he's not that strong.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wasps and hornets used to be separate monsters, with wasps only slowing you while hornets paralyzed. They got merged together so hornets show up where wasps used to. Their paralysis is kind of bullshit for how early you can run into it now.

That said I think rPois does render you immune to it. You sure you had it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

The Ieoh Jian Council is a congregation of seven martial monks, that ascended to divinity by fighting their way out of the afterlife

That's a religion I can get behind

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mana vipers are good for the entire game. Their raw attack power isn't great compared to other summons but their antimagic bites combined with fast speed makes them great support summons. Basically every dangerous enemy in extended counts as a spellcaster and all of them are vulnerable to antimagic. Using summon mana viper to support you means they can end up missing several turns due to failed casting attempts.

Just be aware they aren't a summon you use for damage in extended so you should only use them if your own damage output is good. Also they don't work very well against opponents with AOEs unless you get the drop on them. Trying to summon vipers midfight against a hell sentinel, for example, probably wont work well since it'll just blow them up while also hitting you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darox posted:

*I really dislike the new name for shadow fiends, it's completely out of place with the other fiends. Now if you want to describe the group of greater demons that also have torment it's "fiends and also twizzlers"

I agree with this. Before all the 1s capable of casting torment were fiends. When pit fiends got reworked into sentinels they lost torment so the name change makes sense. The change from shadow fiends to titzi-whatevers barely changed anything about how they work. They are still the negative energy fiends, just with a stupid name that's impossible to remember. Which is why I just keep calling them shadow fiends.

But their tile is cool.

PleasingFungus posted:

thank you for dying to my lovely, hand-crafted Pandemonium orc ending. i'm really hoping to make a strong placement in the Player-Killing Competition this year and i'll need a lot of help to get there! every death counts.

You need to make more acid vaults if you really want to rack up that player kill count. Maybe something early in the dungeon with entropy weavers.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Every single game I've played with the slime pits in it always had an altar outside the entrance.

Slime always has an entrance altar up until you actually want to worship Jiyva. Then it never does.

tweet my meat posted:

What's a good melee oriented class that has a pretty varied toolset so I'm not just bumping into monsters until I win the game? I love playing wizards for all the tactical spells you get in the starting book, but I feel like I need to branch out a bit.

Depends on what you mean by varied tools. Minotaurs have the best apts for flexibility in pure weapon combat and can use evocations as well. If you want to augment your melee combat with spells then there are tons of races that work for that. Hill orcs, draconians, gargoyles, and vinestalkers can hybridize pretty easily. If you want to go even more magic heavy then high elves are a good pick.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Better than losing a streak to a D:1 adder.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey can we put High Elves back in and remove Tengus instead because they are loving awful by comparison.

Or better yet, remove neither.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why the gently caress are there boggarts in my Lair

World Famous W posted:

Tengus are awesome and I will fight you.

Tengus are certainly unique but I'd rather them be removed than HE simply because elves are more fun for me to play. Tengus feel a lot less flexible when it comes to the kind of stuff I want to do. Their apts are so different there's no reason for either to be removed though.

brainwrinkle posted:

Do people actually change weapons based on randarts past Lair? Even with crosstraining, the investment to get any good 2H weapon to mindelay is huge. It's a big sacrifice to your other skills to switch weapons. I just make do with what I find.

I've done it before if I found an exceptionally good weapon. Cross-training makes it a lot easier to do this. Also, the amount of exp to raise a skill the first 10 levels is WAY less than to go from 10 to 20, and even more past that. Swapping at that point will make things more difficult in the short term, but not matter much in the long run.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 14, 2016

• Locked thread