Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:rip: Pakellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I can't believe they nerfed ogres
Also hi

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bring back Giants

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I am Otis posted:

Maybe a 4th floor of Elf and have wiz lab jammed in there if another rune isn't acceptable

bring back 5 level elf

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So in my test Gnoll warper I found a great mace of speed. Is it still worth using if it's +0 enchantment?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I am Otis posted:

How do yall like to play Tengu?

edit: I got one that's about to go into Lair and I feel fragile as gently caress. I found an early troll armor that is now enchanted to +4 and I found an early artifact great mace that is like +8 crushing, rElec Int+8 dex+3 I think. It feels like melee is a trap... I have decent spell book drops but no Amnesia scrolls to forget some of the poo poo I have. I started as wizard bc im a sucker for those start spells even though the blaster apts seem more straightforward. I just can't not use this mace lol. I have ice beast and canine summons and Hepliaklqana with a hexer. This bird guy feels all over the place. I mostly roll over everything except when I dont!

What now...? gently caress the mace and use it as a spellcast buff and use conj?? I got some heavy hitting conjurations if I can fuckin get a drat amnesia scroll or two

Get the mace to min delay as well and don't neglect fighting

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

Gnolls have renewed my interest in this game. Having a blast just using everything I find. If I'm a Cheibro, is Ponderous still a deathtrap? I'm already aware I'm moving really slowly, maybe I'll get even more piety/slouch power by creating an even wider speed gap?

Well you have blink?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Prism posted:

It occurs to me that, by the calendar, we should be expecting a new version and tournament relatively soon - within a month, certainly, since twice a year seems to be the usual schedule.

But aside from gnolls (an excellent addition) and some changes in how monsters spawn, what's even new in a theoretical 0.21? I can't think of any other major additions.

Wu jian
Also I splatted a berserker on the orb run which feels more brutal now that they removed helpful wands.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly they've removed alot of the grind

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Poor Wu Jian, they care so little about it they can't be bothered to even put the writeup into the plan

He's getting sent to the farm upstate where the lava orcs frolic freely and perma-hasted.
Anyways I won a catte:
code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20.1-1-g8b1a95d (webtiles) character file.

1573044 Lawman0 the Sabretooth (level 25, 57/139 HPs)
             Began as a Felid Berserker on Oct 31, 2017.
             Was a High Priest of Trog.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Nov 2, 2017!

The game lasted 04:27:00 (75095 turns).

Lawman0 the Sabretooth (Felid Berserker)           Turns: 75095, Time: 04:27:01

Health: 57/139     AC:  5    Str: 18    XL:     25   Next: 43%
Magic:  23/48      EV: 43    Int: 10    God:    Trog [*****.]
Gold:   1257       SH:  0    Dex: 24    Spells: 24/24 levels left
                                        Lives:  0   Deaths: 8

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis +     - Unarmed
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   (shield unavailable)
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   (armour unavailable)
rPois    .         Spirit   +   (helmet unavailable)
rElec    .         Reflect  .   (cloak unavailable)
rCorr    .         Harm     .   (gloves unavailable)
MR       ++++.                  (boots unavailable)
Stlth    ++++......             D - amulet of guardian spirit
Regen    0.4/turn               S - ring "Lotij" {rF++ rN+ Dex+3}
MPRegen  0.4/turn               V - ring "Ulupsuga" {rC+ rN+ MR+ MP+9 Stlth+}

@: quick
A: no armour, no weapons or thrown items, stealth, claws 1, fangs 3, horns 1,
molten scales 1, see invisible, carnivore 3, speed 1, robust 1, screaming 1,
shaggy fur 3, slow metabolism 1, sharp paws
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, abyssal, gossamer
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Burn Spellbooks, Renounce Religion 
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Lawman0/morgue-Lawman0-20171102-230923.txt

First win as a felid and first win in about two years. Trog is still Trog I guess and felids are still a trash garbage species that I'm glad I never have to play again.
Dunno lot of stuff changed, some QoL is still there and I don't have to worry about certain things now.
Just want to say that holy crap is the orb run more brutal now since the removal of resist mutation and cure mutation potions and the stengthing of the effects of the orb. I splatted both an ogre and human on the orb run recently so it's been a bit of a pain.
Felids feel a little better than when I last tried to ascend one since evocables have mostly gone handless.
Otherwise I don't really have that much to say about it. :toot:
Just 4 more species until greatplayer.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Floodkiller posted:

Here's the dev plan for 0.21 if anyone is interested (finally created 22 days ago). Dev pace is still glacial at the moment, so probably don't expect a release soon.

Recent changes on Trunk:
Air Elementals can now cast a mini-Tornado called Vortex. Intended to make them more threatening than the fast weaklings they previously were also it's secretly a fan of gales buff but don't tell the dev team that. Due to this, Sojobo now has rWind to not instantly die when summoning air elementals, and rWind is now displayed in the monster description screen so you can see if Tornado and Airstrike won't work against a target.

The Cloud Mage and Halls of the Hellbinder wizlabs (as well as the Hellbinder itself) got revamps to put them on par in difficulty with the other wizlabs, but also got increased quality of loot to compensate.

This mostly looks really bad.
Food values could be reduced definitely though, maybe give carnivorous species an inefficient digestion mutation so they don't always run at engorged.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Wu jian upset the delicate balance of Crawl. We can't have powerful gods. *speedruns the game with Trog in less then an hour*

Wu seemed weak to me

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pacra posted:

Sludge Elf was an uninteresting race, Evaporate was a tedious and terrible spell, Reaver was redundant, and Pakellas was a trainwreck :colbert:

my hot take: Crawl is Still Fun and the only things I kind of miss is the old summon dragon and oldTomb

Pakellas was fine if you just accepted him as trog for evocations that needed another drawback (reduced xp to non-evocations? I dunno). :colbert:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ugly John posted:

Try the new Gnolls in the current trunk before they get beaten down. They're the thing keeping the game interesting for me at the moment, even if I still suck with them.

I'm gonna pop in to say that I'm about to ascend my first one and that they could probably use a stat nerf to balance out the fact that after the midgame-hump you :captainpop: at all of your options. Like they are basically the only race (other than maybe merfolk) right now that I would suggest starting out a skald with since you can slap on some actual armor without tanking your spellcasting.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pacra posted:

Didn't they already get a stat nerf?

Thank you Canine Blues Arooo for returning the crawl thread to its former glory :)

Dunno?
Anyways I won that gnoll.
code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.21-a0-442-g848f44b (webtiles) character file.

1931117 Lawman0 the Omniscient (level 26, 207/207 HPs)
             Began as a Gnoll Summoner on Nov 4, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Nov 13, 2017!

The game lasted 09:40:38 (92188 turns).

Lawman0 the Omniscient (Gnoll Summoner)            Turns: 92188, Time: 09:40:38

Health: 207/207    AC: 26    Str: 19    XL:     26   Next: 78%
Magic:  42/44      EV: 34    Int: 26    God:    Ashenzari [******]
Gold:   3750       SH: 17    Dex: 28    Spells: 4/59 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   a - +9 demon trident (freeze)
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   m - +0 shield of Gluttony {rElec rF+ Int+2 Dex-2} (curse)
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   C - +3 leather armour of Ecok Pusi {MR+++ Regen+ Int-4 Dex+4} (curse)
rPois    .         Spirit   .   N - +2 helmet (curse)
rElec    +         Reflect  .   w - +1 cloak of Brilliance {rCorr Dex+7} (curse)
rCorr    +         Harm     .   l - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3} (curse)
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   v - +1 pair of boots of Eboic {+Fly rF+ Stlth+} (curse)
Stlth    +++.......             (no amulet)
HPRegen  0.84/turn              z - ring "Susaosacw" {AC+4 Int+5} (curse)
MPRegen  0.29/turn              I - ring "Gineap" {rCorr *Slow rF+ rC+ Str+4} (curse)

@: studying 2 skills, deflect missiles
A: distributed training, fangs 1, yellow scales 1, deformed body, dopey 1,
shaggy fur 1, strong nose
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy, abyssal
a: Curse Item, Scrying, Renounce Religion, Evoke Flight

You escaped.
You worshipped Ashenzari.
Ashenzari was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 12 branches of the dungeon, and saw 57 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 4 times.
You also visited: Ice Cave.

You collected 8124 gold pieces.
You spent 4374 gold pieces at shops.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Lawman0/morgue-Lawman0-20171113-000107.txt

Initial Gnoll Impressions: They own big league once you get past the mid-game hump of not being able to do poo poo effectively. Play them as hybrids always when you get a chance, would probably never not use a shield with them to be honest. Very much my jam because I love adapting to whatever I find, for example this is the game where I finally figured out that darkness is actually worth learning!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the Pick Up Sticks spell returns all arrows to your quiver

Included in the book of chores

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pacra posted:

I just had a WJC game on CAO where I found the captain's cutlass on d:2 :stare:

WJC's heaven ability makes trunk Tomb actually fun to do

What's different about tomb in trunk?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

can a firestormer still eat tomb alive

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Why not put them back in but just cut the Gen rate in half

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah the removal of confusion is extremely bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

just remove everything up in my game fam.

• Locked thread