Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What rc file wizardry do I need to do to make it so I start every game with unIDed wands, wands of hasting, wands of teleportation, and wands of heal wounds on autopickup, but no other IDed wands?

e: Also, is there any obscure interface way to check how good my hexes are against a monster that isn't currently visible? I want to stop training invo when I can reliably banish hydras but I don't know when I've hit that target.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Darox posted:

Ever since wasps and hornets got merged I have felt that hornets are kinda loving bullshit death machines for the levels they can spawn on. Especially that one food vault where you can autoexplore into melee range with two of them.
Just make sure wands as a group are on auto pickup, then add exceptions for every type of wand you don't care about. The only downside is you won't pick up a copy of a wand if a monster IDs it for you, which is a minor niggle if you want one wand of flame for eels or similar. You can also do the same thing for staffs, set the staff group as auto pickup then exclude "staff of" so you only pick up unIDed ones.

e: I've done this for my rc and the relevant part looks like this:

autopickup = |$?!:"/%

ae := autopickup_exceptions
ae += <throwing net
ae += >staff of
ae += >wand of (confusion|polymorph|flame|iceblast|slowing|magic darts|random effects|enslavement|paralysis|lightning|teleport)
ae += >ring of (ice|cold|fire|stealth|positive energy|magical power)

Thanks!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The obsidian axe is good in zigsprint as a way to clear the first few rooms while you get Qazlal online

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can a formicid who sacrifices a hand still wield a two-handed weapon?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Shoals is literally impossible as a chei character, I've found (though I'm bad at chei in general)

e: My general ranking of the branches in terms of difficulty, easiest to hardest:

Spider with rPois
Shoals with water traversal
Swamp with a good plan for hydras
Snake
Shoals without water traversal
Swamp with a bad plan for hydras
Spider without rPois

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 16, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

there's a known bug involving a rakshasa with a battleaxe cleaving multiple enemies, somehow getting damaged midway through, triggering its 'defensive illusion', creating two illusions nearby and swapping with one of them, leaving it out of range of the original remaining cleaving targets, crashing the game.

crawl is good

So what you're saying is don't be a demonspawn with demonic ally and spiny and fight a rakshasa with an axe?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

:10bux: on Elf3, :10bux: on Vault5.

I'm putting my money on a depths death. Everyone who has experience with crawl can be careful enough to beat vaults and elf if you have a strong character, but depths is a huge slog of common but extremely random bursts of danger. It's very difficult to maintain enough focus for the entire time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actual for real serious FR: item-using menus like (q)uaff, (r)ead, and e(V)oke should have ! functionality to switch between use and describe, like most other menus in the game have. I was teaching my friend crawl yesterday and he was frustrated that he couldn't have a menu that would allow him to view his consumables and check what they did other than the enormous (i)nventory menu.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Today I learned that even if you bribe it with gozag, vault 5 is still vault 5 and will still kill you dead

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

The only place I use Bribe is Hell. Use it after reaching level 7 of a branch, and it'll last you up until the rune guardian for sure. After that it'll probably expire before the next one but I'll have stockpiled enough gold that I can afford more than one bribe anyways. Fiends and such being affected by bribe makes the place a lot less dangerous and easier to get through.

I basically came to the conclusion (after dying) that bribing rune floors makes sense but bribing earlier floors is kinda pointless.

I don't regret bribing snake 4, since that is imo the most consistently deadly lair rune vault. Shoals tends to split its danger across the entire map instead of concentrating it, all of spider's actually dangerous enemies are speed 10 without a ranged attack (except ghost moths which are utterly negated with an otherwise marginal consumable), and swamp usually concentrates all of its danger into a single avoidable 27-headed hydra.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
D:6, have a rod of iron, rod of inaccuracy, and boots of running. How am I going to gently caress this up and die embarrassingly?

e:

I feel like "You headbutt DEAD MONSTER" is probably a bug

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 22, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Prism posted:

What happened? Did you have an axe and the cleave caused pain bond damage to your main target between swing and headbutt or something?

I'm using a demonspawn with spiny and a long blade, and horns. I dunno exactly what happened.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You won't find any MR+ gear and will be paralyzed while surrounded by orcs.

I'm not bitter.

I died to tabbing too hard in orc

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hunger could probably be removed entirely with the simple tweaks of making ghouls eat corpses directly to remove rot and making exhaustion fade by gaining (a small amount of) experience. MP already serves the purpose of limiting spells-per-battle, why does hunger need to duplicate that purpose? Similarly, OOD spawns and god piety already force your character to move forward. I guess you might run into issues with Ru or Gozag worshipers trying to scum every floor for experience but mummies can already do that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've pitched this FR before but a unique Krab King who is a priest of Qazlal and drops the unrand Krab Krown which gives rCloud

One day I'll learn crawl code and write a patch but until then all I can do is beg

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Are acid dragons a thing now? I just found a set of their scales in a shop

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Holy poo poo Meliai do not gently caress around

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One of these days I will learn that no matter how strong I feel, doing vault 5 right after vault 4 is a mistake

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tweet my meat posted:

Finally getting back into this after a brief foray into it a few months back. I remember the basics, but it's fun figuring out the specifics. What's a good build for a summoner or some kind of "let your companions do the fighting" type character?

That isn't a really supported archetype anymore. All ally-based strategies should have you fighting side by side with them.

That said, if that's what you want, worship Hepliaqlkana

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Aumanor posted:

You could also go DEWz and just learn ALL the spells with that sweet, sweet +3 Spellcasting apt.

Just want to point out that while Deep Elves are good spellcasters, their spellcasting apt is actually pretty tangential to that. Spell Schools matter way way more than spellcasting.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Twenty seven swords

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How much damage is eight exclams? Because in the twenty seven swords game I got that once. Thanks boots of the assassin!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Why did nobody tell me how good Fedhas is?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How bad is Fedhas wrath, I'm loving tired of not having any fruits

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Fedhas' wrath is pretty bad, but if you think you can survive Okawaru's wrath then you can probably survive Fedhas' pretty easily.
The reason I want to switch is because I want a god that can make up for me being crazy weak. Fedhas was doing that till I ran out of fruit but I guess I'm stuck with him now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

Fedhas wrath is traditionally considered 'a joke' and 'switch to Jiyva so you don't have to worry about it at all'. That's what I'm told!

Why does Jiyva negate the Fedhas wrath in particular? Jiyva was actually the swap I had in mind because slimify can go a long way to make up for a weak character

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So, assuming I want to convert to Jiyva, but there isn't an altar in lair, and I am extremely weak but have rCorr, how impossible is ninjaing the altar on slime 6?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Darox posted:

Talking about a character that just reached lair 6? Effectively impossible. Getting down 5 floors and then through the royal jelly and his minions without meeting anything that blocks your way is impossible, and unless you know what you're doing & get a little lucky fighting basically anything there will end in death.

If you get really lucky with placements, stairs, and consumables you could just about do it, but you'll probably just die to acid blob shots. Or get permanently confused by the first golden eye pack you see.

The altar always has 3 spawns on each branch and TRJ in the center, you'll always need to disperse them.

This is a two rune character looking to convert, but who is repeatedly almost dying in lair

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
so jiyva eats all your arrows real fast huh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is it impossible to paralyze jellies as Jiyva now that prayer is gone?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well my desperate no-fruit Fedhas->Jiyva (who ate all of my arrows) character almost won anyways, and would have survived the fight that killed me if I weren't a moron. Would have been my second streak, too.

e: lessons learned in this game:

Fedhas is insanely, brutally strong while you have fruits
Fedhas' wrath is a joke if you have rCorr, so convert as soon as you run out of fruit
Bows work well with Fedhas
Bows work terribly with Jiyva
A demon trident can out-tab a golden dragon at 14 polearms
Any melee character who can get two runes can win. Convert to Jiyva, get a free third rune, and dive through depths and Zot. Slimify anything remotely dangerous--OOFs are the only notable enemy immune, so use all your consumables on them.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 12, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The gloves of dying in an ice cave

e: I got them from acquirement

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 13, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there some rcfile setting that can disable tab if I'm healthy but corroded? Just lost a character to wondering why an entropy weaver was taking so long to die and discovering I was at -20

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If there aren't going to be any races which prefer specific weapons, then just merge all the weaponskills together

Don't do this though, I love merfolk and high elves

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually if weaponskills all get merged and races get mutations rewarding the use of specific weapon types, can we get high elves back? I'd be willing to make that trade

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Microcline posted:

As a relatively new player, can someone explain the appeal of sludge elves? I looked at their apts and I can't tell how they're not just mermaids with an OC donut steel name.

Personally, while I was never that attached to sludge elves, mountain dwarves, or lava orcs, I was somewhat attached to the vibe that the "standard" races all got broken down into subcategories, which is now (completely?) gone

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

one thing you can use weapon skills for is to push species to use weapons which they might not otherwise bother with; e.g. halflings' axe options are not very good, so why not give them good apts so that there's a reason to sometimes use em?

sort of the opposite of the traditional philosophy for weapon skills, but potentially more interesting.

however, the actual answer to your question is that it's good to make characters decide what weapons they're going to use and invest in them, just like spell schools.

In the few minutes since I made that post I actually thought about it a bit and I'm now actually moderately in support of merging weaponskills (and giving some races an innate bonus to certain weapons? Like merfolk having an innate mut "you deal somewhat more damage with polearms").

The difference I see between weaponskills and spellskills is that training a new branch of magic doesn't negate my old training. If I have fireball castable, and train up freezing cloud, I can still cast both (and likely will)--the investment in fire was still meaningful. If I train up to 14 LB for a scimitar, then switch to M&F because I find a bitching randart, that 14 LB is essentially wasted now. The decision of whether switching is worth it may be interesting, but it certainly isn't fun--either I feel bad for "wasting" a bunch of experience, or I feel bad for not being able to use the cool thing I found on the ground.

If for some reason it would really be terrible for people to regularly switch weapon types, have it drain you when you switch them (possibly only when you switch between melee types so you can still switch freely between melee and ranged?), flavored as you needing some time to get used to your new weapon.

I assume melee and ranged would remain different skills under this system. I have no idea what would happen to throwing/UC.

In conclusion, bring back high elves, mountain dwarves, and coastal crabs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked high elves but I'll try to stay positive by reminding myself that every removed race makes room for the eventual crab race

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tweet my meat posted:

So as a new player who plays High Elves almost exclusively, what's a good alternative that combines the really good magic aptitudes with the survivability and flexibility or the high elf?

Human, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Tengu, except you can't use charms, hexes, translocations, or transmutations. OK, so they're not flexible, but you can still use conjurations. Also your HP will be 10% lower and you can't use helmets or boots.

e: you can fly and peck things with your beak though.

At level 14, Tengu can wear exactly one pair of boots, -1 boots of running

• Locked thread