Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Team name inspiration finally hit.

City Name Crawl Team

Team captain: Haifisch

1. Someone Awful
2. Sir Sam Vimes
3. Araganzar
4. chukamok

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Araganzar posted:

I'm in for this for the webtiles chat if nothing else. Plus, off work next week.

chukamok posted:

Nice team name. May I join? I can usually get one win during a tournament. Crawl name chukamok.

Added. There's one spot left for any teamless stragglers.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

yurtcradled posted:

Room for one more in City Name Crawl Team? I'm 'offering' on CAO.
Added, and now the team's full!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Good autoexplores: In between two hornets, on D8, with no rpois.

quote:

5778 | D:8 | Paralysed by a hornet for 3 turns
5782 | D:8 | HP: 4/85 [hornet (17)]
5784 | D:8 | Slain by a hornet

* * * dinnae die * * *
Ye be poison'd!
Ye feel as though ye will be slow longer!
Tha hornet stin's ye but does nay damage!
A soldier ant comes inta view!
Unknown command!
As ye read tha scroll o' fear, it crumbles ta dust!
Ye assume a fearsome visage! Tha hornet looks frighten'd!!!
Tha soldier ant looks frighten'd!!! x2; Ye feel sick!
Tha soldier ant moves outta view! x2; Tha hornet barely misses ye!
Qui'er which item? (- fer none, * ta show all) (? fer menu, 'sc ta quit)
Quiverin' d - 3 throwin' nets fer throwin'!
Okay, than!
Throwin' (i - inventory! (,) - cycle): d - 3 throwin' nets (quiv'red)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - hornet
Aim: a hornet
Ye throw a throwin' net!
Tha throwin' net barely misses tha hornet!
Ye feel sick! Tha hornet stin's ye!!!
rip
e: Had that happen again with the same vault, only with worms and not hornets(not complaining :v:). Maybe hangedman_pestilent_swarm should be tweaked a bit.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 7, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
With the Lair difficulty changes, it's a good idea for weaker characters to do a couple more levels of Dungeon(not to 15 unless you know what you're doing), then go back. That goes double if you have no rPois or lovely defenses.

And whichever you do first, don't be afraid to bounce around different branches if one gets overwhelming. You're not speedrunning, it's okay to backtrack a lot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
On one hand, this TrHu has its choice of MDA, QDA, FDA, and PDA before Vaults.

On the other hand, it's had about 3 blink scrolls all game, and used them all already.

Crawl's RNG is really swingy. You get used to it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Goodpancakes posted:

Decided to play a mummy fighter of Oka fit shits. Took him to two runes before I got overwhelmed in Elf vaults. Best I've done yet, thanks to the goons in the discord. Didn't know I'm supposed to do the money God though. Maybe next time I run a mummy
Honestly, Oka is a solid choice for Mu. Heroism really helps make up for your lovely apts, and weapons/armor gifts are always good. Gozag's also a strong god, but he's harder to get the hang of.

(I might be biased because my Mu win is a MuGl^Oka)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's alright, but even a good war axe will start getting outclassed soon after Lair/Orc. Maybe some light Axes investment if it's going to be your melee backup, but I wouldn't go full-tilt axes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I've gotten one permabazaar and two timed bazaars so far this game. :stare:

(It's actually kind of annoying because I don't have much gold.)

E: "Cemen's Gadget Emporium"

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 10, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

I sure am glad they took out restore abilities potions. And that I ate the purple.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

yurtcradled posted:

Dear Haifisch & City Name Crawl Team,

Thanks for inviting me to your team. I had intended to contribute a few ascensions, but instead I'm going to spend most of my free time working with a group of like-minded individuals who are unhappy with the US election results. Please feel free to replace me.

You've all performed spectacularly so far and I'm sure you'll make a good show of it.

LogicNinja posted:

Throw me in there Haif, I made my own team just because I wasn't sure how much I'd be playing but now, depressed over the election results, I--
Will do once I'm back home.

someone awful. posted:

It's cool, you guys. I'm Crawling for escapism myself, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Also this. You could face the horrors of the real world, or you could die a bunch in a video game. I know which one I'm picking. :v:

Speleothing posted:

But anyway, I've got two questions:
2) On my cell phone I've got a DEFE of Veh and I need advice about what spells to take. LCS or OoD? Firestorm? I've had good luck with Summon Ice Beast paired with Freezing Cloud well into lategame when the Beasts otherwise would fall off, is that & Servitor reliable enough to get into summoning for? I'm lvl 22 and feeling a crunch on available spell levels, but have books of Power, Conjurations, and Annihilations available, and can buy a whole bunch of other ones.
-LCS and OOD fill two different, but complimentary, needs. LCS has really short range; OOD needs to be able to travel a couple tiles for it to hit at full power.
-Firestorm is great. You probably don't need it if you're only 3 runing, but it's still great. It pairs well with Glaciate, although the opposing enhancers can be a pain.
-No comments on ice beasting, because I personally loathe trying to play summoners. (Although higher level summoning spells are supposedly fantastic) Just note that Servitor works best when you curate your spell list to work with it, instead of having your servitor cast a bunch of weak spells you kept around for MP efficiency.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Poison Mushroom posted:

Stay the gently caress away from Slime unless you're 15-runing. And stay the gently caress away from 15-runing unless you know what you're doing.

Basically, just don't go into Slime.
Slime is more than doable as a third rune, and probably easier than V:5 for most characters. The main thing that can make it harder is if you don't know how to deal with corrosion(don't let yourself get ganged up on, GTFO if you get more than two levels or so of corr, let it wear off completely before continuing), but that's a player experience issue. TRJ is mostly a matter of smashing it really hard really fast, and having some way of mopping up or getting away from the jellies afterward.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Weeping Wound posted:

huh, the 27-skill title for Staves is Chief of Staff :cripes:
Let me tell you about the 27 title for Short Blades.

Politician

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

Ye reach down an' op'n tha door!
_Xom thinks 'tis be hilarious!!!
Xom has very strange standards for 'hilarious'.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
First GrCk win of the tournament. Stayed Xom the whole time out of masochism.

154 Xom altars made in total.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
This DEIE found an xp potion, the ring of robustness, randart boots with +7 dex, benemut that gave it +int, and regular mut that gave it wild magic all before finishing lair.

Can't wait to see my embarassing death.

Assuming pointless map loops don't kill me first.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
No rune yet, now have ring of ice and conj staff too. :rip:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I have gotten 14 runes. Done 11 floors of a zig.

There are three ego robes in the entire game, and two mediocre artifact robes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I found one ego robe in Tartarus before I won. It was +2 rN. It tried.

But I got Vow of Courage 3, so I can end tournament happy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Crawlhack: Set your autofight_stop to a decently high number, so you're forced to stop tabbing before you're one turn from death.

Unless you fight something that can one/two shot you, but don't fight things that can do that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It happens, it's just rare for it to be a reasonably common potion like lig.

The moral of the story is, know what unided potions are left before panic chugging in midgame. Same goes for scrolls. (unless you enjoy inner flames on the thing you're panic-reading from :v:)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Goodpancakes posted:

How do you know when to switch to the next weapon tier? Like if I had a +6 Pike vs a +1 Demon Trident. How far apart do they need to be to justify the change?
In general, it takes a shitload of enchantment for a lower tier weapon to be noticably better than a higher tier one. I wouldn't worry much about it unless you have a +11 randart or something similarly crazy. The real deciding factor is brands and skills.

Certain utility brands may be worth keeping a lower-tier weapon for, depending on branch(flaming bladed weapons for Lair/Swamp, holy weapons for demonic/undead-heavy areas, etc). A few other brands are good for a really long time(venom, elec), so it's more of a judgement call for when the low damage outweighs the good brand. As far as skills go, my rule of thumb is to switch to a higher-tier weapon once I can swing at 1.0 delay. You can keep an eye on accuracy if you want, but it shouldn't be a concern as long as your delay is reasonable.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
RIP wand acquirement.

quote:

Merge wand and misc acquirement

into "Evocables".

Distribution is 1/8 chance of getting a rod, else coinflip for wand or
misc evocable. This maybe needs further adjustment.
In practice it won't affect much, because acquirement loved giving you a wand of flame when your only un-ided wands were Haste and HW. :v:

World Famous W posted:

Tengus are awesome and I will fight you.
Tengu are awesome if you like dying to a stiff breeze while using the worst early game school of magic. (Or pure conjurations, but if you're going to do that, why not just play DE?)

Obviously HE needs to come back with the name Tengu, so we can have a good race without the Tolkien reference.

PleasingFungus posted:

you'll look awful silly when i... remove deep dwarves

'whisper farewell as you leave, Shadow Gimli'
DD is boring as poo poo, so I don't think they'd be missed.

Obvious replacement: Wiglaf race. Your innate racial power is a perma-hat(fashion++).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Konstantin posted:

I wouldn't mind a crawl fork similar to SLASH'EM. Just throw in all the old and experimental content, as well as whatever else people take the effort to code, and don't bother with game balance or having a difficulty curve.
Just go all the way and make it Crawlhack.

"An ancient zyme comes into view. You feel sick. You don't have a unicorn horn. Do you want your possessions identified?"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

StoryTime posted:

So High Elves bit it, huh? I feel a bit nostalgic, since HEFE was my first 3 rune win. I personally don't mind the change though, I think it's fine that sometimes old stuff is thrown out and new stuff is put in. The only thing I'm wondering is what are we supposed to recommend for new players who want to try out casters? High elf elementalists seemed to be the go-to training wheels caster characters. Should there be a training wheels caster option?

Ogres are not it, I don't care what the new spell aptitudes are. Deep elves aren't it either, they're way too unforgiving. Maybe just human, or kobold? I don't know, I don't play that much straight up blasters.
I'd honestly say DE, because they're Blaster Caster: The Aptitude Set. Any pure caster's going to have a hard time until their good spells are online; DE just makes you extra-strong once you hit that point. The main problem is that people like to recommend FE as the training wheels class, when its startbook gives you no options except "kill it with fire" and "fart out a fire cloud and hope your enemy stays away from you." The other elemental schools give you startbooks with options that make your life a lot easier, even if you have to think a tiny bit more than "aim spell at thing".

Cj gets Battlesphere for MP efficiency, Dazzling Spray as an early multitarget spell that also debuffs the target, and Prism as crowd control. It's also really easy to branch out from, since most damaging spells are partially Conj.
IE gets Ozoarmor to make up for typically-lovely caster AC, Ice Beasts to distract enemies and act as meatshields, and Throw Icicle to deal with rC enemies. It's good as a hybrid start, but it also works well as a blaster start.
AE gets rMsl, Swiftness for emergency exits, Static Discharge as insane crowd control, and Lightning Bolt as an early bolt spell.
EE is weird. People seem to like it, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a training wheels caster option. It just plays really oddly compared to other caster starts.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Darox posted:

I gues reapers make removing scythes awkward because there isn't any solution that preserves their relevant effects cleanly. Reapers have reaching attacks and a random per-reaper brand. Replacing their attacks with an innate melee attack while replicating the scythe effects would be a mechanical mess and giving them a different polearm is totally out of place flavour wise. The flavour is somewhat relevant for their necromancy connection via miscasts and mummy curses where they fill a useful role that soul eaters do not.
How often do their random brands matter, honestly? By the time you start seeing them, they're already chaff. You could give them a generic reaching attack without losing much.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

chasing orb spiders
Found your problem.

(Even a Tm needs some way to take things out at range. That goes double for Spider, since Orb Spiders exist)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Ugly John posted:

Wait, wizard and explore modes as new player teaching tools?

Can we just advocate for spoilers as an effective tool and just lean into the farmers and pigs playing cards moment?
For all the whining we do about changes, Crawl has constantly moved towards needing fewer spoilers because it keeps becoming more transparent. Monsters show damage numbers on x now, you can see hex wand success rates, badly explained mechanics are either made clearer or removed, instant death traps(badly designed vaults, stuff like losing flight over deep water/lava) are avoided, mindelay and shield skill cutoffs are shown now, you get warnings when you enter rune branches now, etc. I agree that wizmode isn't(and shouldn't) be a new player teaching tool, but if they're playing the correct way(on webtiles) they don't have access to it anyway. :v:

If you really want to teach new players how to die less, the best thing you could do is raising the default autofight_stop/"hey dumbass you're dying" warning cutoffs. The default is 25% or something similarly low. Having the game yell at them earlier would drill the most important survival skill(running away sooner rather than later) into their heads, hopefully.

ChickenWing posted:

Help I'm bad at crawl so I started a GaFi and then found Spellbinder in Crazy Yiuf's hut and now I'm done Orc, Lair, Swamp, Spider, Vaults:4, am just starting depths, and am invested enough in my character that I kinda sorta want to win instead of smucking up against something dumb (like has almost happened three or four times this game so far, [ASK] me about smashing my face into the Lernean Hydra in three separate attempts).

Is there a guide somewhere on decent flows that lead to endgame? Last I played regularly all I can remember was going down until things got difficult, then Lair > Orc > Lair branch(es?) > ???????????????????????

I know that it's heavily dependent on gear etc but a general baseline wouldn't go amiss.
The "flow" is generally "do next area until it starts murdering you, then see if a different area is any better". If you need specifics:

-Finish Depths.
-Do Crypt and/or Elf if you haven't. This goes double if you start having trouble in Depths and need somewhere else to go.
-Decide your third rune. Slime, Abyss, and V5 are all viable, but require different strategies. For slime you want a way to do tons of damage to TRJ as quickly as possible(powerful rods, god abilities, etc). For V5 you need a way to deal with the ambush - for a melee fighter, your best bet is stairdancing until a warden comes into view, then teleporting & dealing with the rest of the level from there. Abyss is a slog, but stealth is your friend. Bring a source of flight(which you already have if by Ga you mean Gargoyle). You can tell when you find a rune vault because it'll be marked by distinctive floor tiles.
-Clear out zot. Have access to as much rF as possible for OOFs. You'll want a variety of resists in general, thanks to the dragons/draconians/electric golems. Bring a bolt wand or rod so you can snipe Moths of Wrath before they zerk things.
-Grab the orb.
-Win.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

dpeg posted:

Apart from that: what *is* discourse between community and developers? No such thing!
Both parties whine, just about different things, and nothing is accomplished except everyone getting mad.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Couldn't they just make malmutate add random mutations
The problem is that's basically what you're doing when eating the purple, and over time you're going to come out ahead when you eat the purple. I'd be afraid of them "balancing" it by taking out good muts & adding more bad muts.

Also something something encouraging degenerate play by incentivising standing in front of neqs something.

quote:

and shuffle existing ones so you're less likely to get the deadly ones and they're less permanent? Mutations would be more of an unstable element that you have to play around until you can clean yourself or bathe in more radiation.
That's basically temporary malmut, and although that'd feel more fair(and less tedious) than perma-malmut in most situations, it's been long enough that I doubt they're going to do the obvious idea.

LordSloth posted:

Could we please get back to bitching about Ogres and wands, please?
I'd like to see stats on how many people actually play caster ogres and how many stick to GSC o-tab. (I suspect it'd be mostly the latter, even after the apt adjustments)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

LogicNinja posted:

How are you supposed to do zigs now, anyway?
Bolt wand/rod? Disc of storms? Using summoning evokables to give you a meatshield while you rush the spectre? Spectres aren't that tough, you just need to get them in range.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

tweet my meat posted:

That may be my mistake. I usually focus on getting spectral weapon castable ASAP, but I'll try focusing on weapon skills first and see how that treats me.
Think of it this way: If a pure melee start found a Book of Battle early, it wouldn't make sense to dump all your xp into spec weap - you'd want your basic "kill dudes/don't die" skills up to snuff first.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Shinino Kage posted:

Actually when I brought this up originally, I said I'd be fine with that. And it's more about acquirement than God Gifts, as acquirement is fairly rare. If you're asking for a weapon, it should give you a weapon type that you're trained or cross-trained in. If it happens to be a Hand Axe and not an Executioner Axe, then that's bad luck, and is okay.

Getting a short blade when all you're using is maces, though, is just frustration waiting to boil over.
Some god gifts/acquirements outside your skillset can be useful resist/evokable effect sticks. Some may be indirectly useful if they're something a trove asks for(they can still ask for highly enchanted demon weapons, iirc). Some you might get early enough to tempt you to change your skill plan.

And a lot will be hot garbage either way, but so will weapons of the type you want. They get so redundant that in the long run you're not going to be using most of the ones that spawn anyway.

(Also iirc a lot of things use the acquirement code to create good items in vaults/etc, so changing it would have further-reaching effects than you'd think)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Araganzar posted:

Looking up the commit it looks like each turn a monster is tracking you there is a turns/turns+500 chance of it getting "bezotted" which increases base damage, EV, AC, and speed all by 2.

A more recent commit removed energy randomization which makes sense since this essentially nerfs pillar dancing. So that's one huge plus for the system!

I see the possibility of the bezot effect using 120% increase instead but the existing calls are all the base 2. I don't like a % increase because it would make high EV, damage, or AC monsters ridiculous. To balance in mid and late game maybe the increase could be HD or level based instead? Or based on the player's XL?

I had bezotting kick in between 40-100 turns. I don't see a "grace period" before bezotting can kick in. I would suggest x_chance_in_y(turns-BEZOTTING_GRACE_PERIOD, turns-BEZOTTING_GRACE_PERIOD + 500) maybe? This would allow "good luring" (pulling with rocks, bringing a monster out of sight/sound of known peers) while still punishing "bad luring" (pillar-dancing, pulling a monster 2 screens JUST IN CASE poo poo GOES DOWN).

Also, taking stairs, teleporting, etc do not seem to turn this off. So now if I park an orc warrior because I'm not prepared to handle him, he's permanently roaming the level ten feet tall bulletproof and running 60 miles an hour. If that remains you might as well call this the "Leeroy Jenkins" commit...
It definitely looks like it needs some combination of a grace period and a way to tell when the monster's too far away for it to count as luring anymore(bezot chance wears off after X turns without finding the player, maybe?). And bezotting really should wear off after a while, even if it's an unusually long timer. Otherwise weak characters will become turbofucked if they run away from too many things.

The funny part is that this sounds like it punishes a lot of not-luring and minor luring behaviors more than endvault luring, which I thought was the problem dpeg was trying to 'solve'.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Dynamic Monsters opinions from my brief game that I suicided out of boredom:

-It's really goddamn bad at what it was intended to do. I had bezotting pop up a lot more often when I was running to avoid death than when I was intentionally luring.
-It doesn't prompt any Interesting decisions. Optimal play is still luring/fleeing when needed, except now you run the risk of a monster going super saiyan. At that point, optimal play is avoiding the powered-up monster entirely(unless you're so buff you can just ignore its Bezotted status). This can quickly spiral out of control if your character is weak and has to run away a lot.

The first half could be fixed by having it(the status or the risk-of-bezotting counter, whichever) wear off when the monster's been out of LOS long enough. The second half is a fundamental problem with this implementation that I'm not sure you could fix.

I still don't see why luring is a problem, but that's my hot take on this attempt to 'fix' it.

Frog opinions from a game-in-progress:

Hop is good. Everything else is indistinguishable from every other melee race, although I'm playing a Berserker so that's probably half of it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Why don't bacharians ribbit/croak when they shout? Huge oversight imo.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PotatoManJack posted:

reading the wiki
Please don't base strategy decisions on the wiki, which is out of date at best and comically misguided at worst. The learndb is more up to date, and other players are a better source of strategy info.

That said, this is a rare instance of badwiki being right for most characters. The extra AC from GDA isn't worth the severe drop in EV(and casting abilities, for chars who care about utility spells). The rF/rC/rPois may be worth it if you completely lack them, but your character doesn't. Carry resist rings to swap in if you find yourself needing extra resist pips for whatever reason.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Mr. Prokosch posted:

That's the most baffling part. I suppose they're just over specialized to get a spell school that high that early? Usually by the time I get a level 9 I'm unstoppable short of a zig. My casters either die early or trounce the game, while my melee dudes limp to midgame and die, and my stabbers just die immediately.
Having specced LN, the answer is that he plays at 8 million miles an hour, which isn't very conductive to careful play. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

LordSloth posted:

take that apt to minus 5
Changing apts on the fly has problems, since you'd be suddenly recalculating what level the skill was at. Manuals get away with this for mystical reasons(idk the real reason, probably just doubling XP in the relevant skill while the manual's active), but a permanent apt change wouldn't.

I'm too lazy to do the math on the amount of XP needed for a skill of 14 with a +2 apt, and what skill level that XP would translate to with a -5 apt, but I'm guessing the difference is Very Large. Enjoy having your main killdudes skill suddenly at D3 levels!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:eyepop:

k - the +14 crystal plate armour "Bawnatic" (worn) {*Corrode rC+ Dex+3}.

My EV only dropped by 1 when I put it on, but my AC increased by 20+ points. I guess that's one way to get me to actually wear a CPA. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm rolling with trog, so I don't care about that anyway. :v:

quote:

Tha lance o' force reflects off an invisible shield around ye!!!
_Tha lance o' force hits tha ancient lich!
Tha ancient lich be knocked back by tha lance o' force!
_Tha ancient lich slams inta tha heavily etched metal wall!!!
Also, reflection is still cool and good.

• Locked thread