Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LordSloth posted:

What's the problem? Can't you walk through fountains? I'm missing something obvious
Gnoll on d1(and level 1) is extremely lethal. You cannot 1v1 it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm sorry I basically haven't been contributing so far, this has been... a really unfortunate time for a tourny for me

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Carcer posted:

So oka is actually a pretty good god for formicids, then? A lot of thier power comes from being able to tool up with the heaviest of everything so getting weapons, armor and shields as god gifts should really benefit them, right?
Yes, except it's not pretty good, it's really good. FoFi^Oka is why I have the fastest realtime speedrun right now, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The thing is Fo have really good durability in a fight with shield/large shield, and when you have finesse your offense is sorted and durability is all you need.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Pretty sure that's out of date. I think you get to choose between paralyze and something else at some point for the hexer, and the knight chooses between a demon trident and a broad axe?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Uskayaw is not actually that strong because the more careful you play the less you get to use their powers. They are, IMO, kind of a "win more" god-if you're strong enough they will make you feel very powerful, but if you're weak enough that you would actually need a god to survive they will not help you much. Certainly not as strong as "infinite wand charges and guaranteed rod, the god" was, and more importantly less dumb design wise

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
maxwell's is great on Fo lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Shoals is the hardest lair branch unless you have invis, in which case Snake is the hardest.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
orc sorcerer's bolts can do up to 51 damage!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Broadly speaking you should level dodging as much as you normally would, which is... probably at least 10? But get more fighting/armor.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

euphronius posted:

I'm over thinking it then
if you're dying in lair branches, retreat/lure to stairs more.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
In terms of damage? Yes, by a bunch.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT3evoHORfw

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Serephina posted:

So many bad ideas, the foremost being blinking into an unknown vault rather than just safely tabbing the elephants from across the lava
go big or go home

you should watch my thorn god game where I berserked with 2 HP next to an OoF and survived

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

someone awful. posted:

Long blades are also there rarest class of weapon to show up, iirc (especially in higher qualities, like anything beyond a great sword)
This is not actually true. Perhaps specifically for double swords and triple swords, but you don't really need those to win.

I still prefer going axes or maces though.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 1, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Floodkiller posted:

Great maces are also severely underwhelming.
I don't think 17 base damage is underwhelming at all!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'd recommend using http://sli.mg/ instead of tinypic(and imgur, and others), I think it's the best image host out there atm

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You are probably like me and burnt out/getting burnt out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PleasingFungus posted:

The Shoutitis mutation could be triggered by non-monsters, e.g. fulminating prisms, orbs of destruction, or tentacles. This seemed incorrect.
I liked the idea of someone yelling at their own OoD though

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think that's usually a memory issue. Switching to chrome and a faster computer basically completely removed issues like that for me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

cheetah7071 posted:

Are acid dragons a thing now? I just found a set of their scales in a shop
Yes, they replace mottled dragons.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah. Now all I want for christmas is for elec draconians to become blue, black(shadow) draconians to get added, grey draconians to get splinter breath attack, and ghost drac breath reformed so it either goes away on death or doesn't change to draining

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's the idea for most characters, but for Fo it's that+also the biggest shield you can find at the same time

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
http://crawl.berotato.org:8080/#lobby is, specifically

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

euphronius posted:

First time with two runes after an easy swamp and spider.

First time in vaults. Does not seem so bad. Gargoyles are op in swamp and spider.
vaults is not bad until vaults 5, which is really bad

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
can he actually shatter you for that much damage? flight reduces shatter damage to 1/3

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Aaaaa. Shafted myself and landed next to a bailey entrance. Inside were 10 gnolls with electric halberds and an orc knight with an antimagic battleaxe. Qazlal was instrumental in surviving that insanity, got good weapons and an xp potion out of it.
I love getting this bailey as beogh follower and gifting all my orcs elec halberds

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They do not grab gear, you eventually get an ability which lets you give gifts to named followers(orcs earn names after leveling enough), one gift per orc.

If you get banished once you get back they'll still be hanging out

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

jerkstoresup posted:

:yikes: Next time I'll put my shops in a neat square I guess.

jerkstoresup posted:

I'd love to make this large shopping mall in the shape of a dong. But to avoid conflict, all of my designs will be inoffensive squares and rectangles.

Feelings take priority over comedy, people.
your swastika joke was not as funny as you think it was

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Definitely don't go chei for that, armor doesn't mean much if you're playing statue form anyways.

I would use the armor and drop statue form, but ymmv.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Do orc knights/priests/sorcerrors eventually upgrade into the next tier of orcs?
Knights will become warlords, priests high priests, wizards sorcerers. ~the strat~ is to train up only like 4-5 melee orcs at once(so the XP is less split between them) into warlords and gift them all polearms(pref. 1H polearms)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Monster attack delay with a weapon is (10+[base delay])/2 ex: a monster attacking with a bardiche has an attack delay of 15 and one with a spear has an attack delay of 10 or 11 randomly. Basically the delay they will have is an average of the weapon's delay and 1.0.

This means your orc warlords will output more damage with a spear than a bardiche, because most of their damage per hit comes from their base damage(32), not their weapon, and they'll attack significantly faster. (32+6 at 10.5 delay=36.19 max damage per aut for spear, 32+18 at 15 delay=33.3 max damage per aut on average for bardiche) Then, on top of that, having a 1H weapon means they can get a shield, which is by a long shot the thing which improves their survivability the most(just think about how much more annoying it is to kill monsters with shields than monsters without).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 9, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
definitely ditch like all but a few by telling them to wait, going down a floor, and then just recalling a few. they'll level up far faster

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ps if there's like, an orc wizard or priest or whatever you don't want who keeps getting recalled before orcs you do want you can always kill them without incurring penance via standing in shallow water, using wand of flame on yourself to make steam, then switching spots with them so they get scalded to death.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Microcline posted:

Winning with Beogh is about learning to treat perma-allies as disposable chaff. It's useful to have a reserve of powerful units but if you put effort into keeping them alive they're more of a liability than an asset.

And the allies are almost flavor compared to how game-changing smite is.
this is incorrect

warlords will shred absolutely anything in a 3-rune game and you are hugely incentivized to keep them alive, while smite is useful but even with faith you can't use it all the time and it's mostly just a "once in a while for a problem enemy" thing.
you just have to have the presence of mind to not suicide to keep orcs alive, but that's not hard when you can retreat like normal and then recall to get them out of trouble(and also res them at high piety if need be)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yes, PF is still correct however

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's not like you won't get corroded but you'll get corroded a lot slower when it only goes through half the time

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

World Famous W posted:

This is an awful change.
How? It makes investing into magic much easier as Og while making weapon choice very slightly less of a no brainer.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

World Famous W posted:

See my post about offense as defense on an ogre. You won't have any real AC for awhile unless you luck into a dragon armour or good AC ring. You can buff up your HP with fighting but that only goes so far when your evasion sucks and each hit is not being reduced by armour. Your best defense is being able to get maces to about 12 early on so you can one or two hit most things with a big piss off stick before they kill you in four hits. The magic apt buff helps a little, but that is delaying the club again which, well, sucks.

Overall, it will make ogres a better end game race at the cost of an even harder start. And seeing as ogres were already powerful end game I don't see a point.

Also, weapon choice is still no brainer seeing as almost all ogres are still going to aim for gsc.
An ogre magic start is now awesome, though. You're a spellcaster with tolerable stats/apts and awesome HP, ogre FE/IE are really good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There's not that many buffs in the game anymore though outside of the skald book(and for good reason). Charms is basically just repel, spectral weapon, ozo's and regen.

• Locked thread