Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I need some mid-late advice for HOAKs:

1. Should I bother corrupting my axe if I get a good one? Obvious extra damage or banishing is good, but blinking or teleporting an enemy seems pretty iffy.
2. When do I use my Corrupt ability? I'm thinking on branch ends so that I can try to cheese the rune and so that the guardians will fight the abyss summons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What does it do?

Mesmerizes you when you see a monster.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Luceid posted:

i was ready for that the moment i picked qazlal, but decided to stunt on V5 like that after getting an insane surplus (12~15) of blink scrolls so i could just jet away to the outer corridors if too many liches showed up. that said, i also had enough MR, SH, and Reflection to smear the ones that did show up.

not something to do on every game but pretty loving funny to pull off this time

The best way I ever cleared V:5 was go down, Apocalypse, go back up to recover breath, and repeat.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

tweet my meat posted:

I went with a Fire Elementalist Hill Orc that I've been enjoying, I guess that would be shortened to HoFe right? I was gonna look through all the gods and stuff, but I found an altar of Nemelex Xobah and holy poo poo this is the coolest thing. I'm just Yu Gi Oh'ing my way through the whole dungeon. Why does anyone ever pick a different god?

because "You reveal the great annihilating truth to your foes!" is probably the best ability text in the entire game

(also HOFE because Hill Orc and Fire Elementalist are two words)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So what's the new blasty caster race?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Unimpressed posted:

Same one it's always been, Deep Elf.

Oh, I misread.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Can Of Worms posted:

From the discussions I heard in the dev irc, Felid jump was removed because it has complicated and extremely spoilery behaviour in specific circumstances.

What do you mean by 'spoilery'?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Or the bug that doubled player melee damage that made it into a full-blown release version.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Carcer posted:

The best way to clear V:5 will always be Qazlal disaster area. Combine that with a scroll of immolation and embrace being the walking apocalypse you are.

The best way to be a walking apocalypse is to use the ability literally called Apocalypse and kill your enemies with the great annihilating truth.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

They all seem fine to me other then apocalypse, which seems like an ability more suited for Qazlal. It could be renamed something like Revelation to be more thematically appropriate, since I imagine you're shattering your foes' minds with some unbearable truth.

quote:

An apocalypse (Ancient Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apokálypsis, from ἀπό and καλύπτω, literally meaning "an uncovering") is a disclosure of knowledge or revelation. In religious contexts it is usually a disclosure of something hidden, “a vision of heavenly secrets that can make sense of earthly realities".

Though I do agree Revelation would fit better.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I haven't been paying much attention. Did they buff anything to compensate for wands being removed?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

But they do. No other species has the challenge of playing without potions. Not only benefits are unique, you can have unique challenges too. (See also: Fo stasis)
I would call vampires the most tedious, none of the others have a mechanic which requires its own page detailing resistances and buffs tied to hunger state which sometimes requires you to leave branches to get more blood or else you won't be able to regenerate HP... ghouls in my opinion aren't tedious at all, eat chunks now and then like everyone else means you never really lose a significant amount of HP. But vampires can get cut for all I care, I got my win purely for greatplayer and am never touching them again.
But most games(especially games that end early) you wouldn't find HW/tele wands, while potions are common enough that an increase in them is felt every game, front to back. It may reduce the amount of times you get a big boost but overall, in most games, you're given more of those resources.

If the game ends early enough that you won't have a HW wand then odds are you wouldn't have that extra 10% of a HW potion anyway.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It could also be that players are trending towards more 'mainstream' combos like GrFi or DE*E or what have you as opposed to wacky builds like OpTm or FeAnything.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

Without checking the statistics on this I doubt this is specifically the case given the age of the playerbase (both old and new) and given how popular species like Octopode and Demonspawn are.

Yeah, I'm not saying this is definitely the case (or even probably the case) I'm just pointing it out as a possibility.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I still don't have a good sense for how to compare weapons/armor. :saddowns:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

They're definitely right in that the Cj start book might as well just contain Magic Dart and Battlesphere, but I have no clue if Force Lance is good enough to make up for it considering how mana-light Battlesphere is.

e: You could also use it to block corridors in an emergency.

vOv fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 8, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm looking forward to testing this, actually. Might even drink it on an unmutated character.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Goodpancakes posted:

Mal mutate with the idea of portal spawning in the abyss. They are temporary but you have to kill to get them to go away.

So wretched stars?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I kind of want to try Qaz, what's a good combo for it?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cicadalek posted:

I have a newb question. If you're starting as a conjurer or other class that has no weapon, is there a particular weapon type to look out for? obviously stuff with a good brand is best, but I don't know if a spear or dagger or hand axe is better with 0 weapon skill.

I've heard long blades for the ripostes, but I have no clue how accurate that is.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Amazing.

So that's, what, 24d20 damage to you from 8 vault guards exploding right next to you? I have to imagine you had rF++ or something.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nothing like going down stairs to escape a player ghost only to wind up next to another ghost.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

The following is strictly my opinion, not any official stance:

I don't think this is a problem, and in fact I think it's actually a good thing that there are opportunities in Crawl where you can plan ahead and build to trivialize the game. If Crawl was always bone-crushingly difficult even if you played flawlessly, requiring high focus and thinking for every combat, then very few players would win it. Having some slack is nice.

Because of that slack, a lot of characters get much more room to play instead of being pressured into a small few approaches to the game. Crawl supports characters from MiBe to TrCj with a whole lot of in between. Play something like a HaEn or KoSk and avoid going one of the power gods and see how much more carefully you have to take every fight. Unless, of course, you're shrewd and experienced enough to set up your dominoes just right that when the time comes you can flick it all down and sail through the rest of the game. But even that has risk and payoff!

This also means that a monster that is ignorable for one character might require a careful approach and consumable use for another character. This is good! It helps playthroughs and characters to feel different and distinct. If a hypothetical monster was equally difficult for all types of characters then, while it might stand out for being difficult, it doesn't exhibit much variety.

It's also just plain fun to have easy fights. I like going through Orc:1 after Lair and just annihilating the entire thing.

In terms of ID, the tension is definitely felt way more in the early game: 'oh gently caress I got myself in a bad situation, can I save myself by reading all my scrolls', that sort of thing. And I like finding a shop that sells inacc or degen or something, buying it, and seeing a stack of it in my inventory that I can toss. I do agree that lategame it's basically pointless (and so is cursed gear), but I think it's worth fixing, maybe with the 'everything IDs after a rune' that dpeg mentioned.

Also this is unrelated but I like that Crawl's monsters pull both from general mythology and Crawl's own original lore, and that all the gods are completely original. It feels very thematic.

vOv fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 17, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So wait, is the intent that you constantly move around instead of 'bump attacking' or as an augment for when you need to do some repositioning?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So maybe I'm just dumb, but Throw Flame seems worse than Flame Tongue a lot of the time in the early game because of the reduced accuracy + the decreased damage/MP efficiency.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Losing a character with a battleaxe of freezing because I had no remove curse scrolls on D:9 and I wielded a cursed blowgun to kite a two-headed ogre is really great, imo.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Serephina posted:

100% your own drat fault? We just had a conversation on how comically unlikely it is to get hosed by cursed items in modern day crawl. You literally tried on a item of unknown curse status, knowing you had no remove curse scrolls, in the middle of combat no less.

Or maybe I'm misreading your post and you're actually being self-deprecating - Then yes, good work, you don hosed up, put a frame on it!

Yeah, this was mostly being frustrated with myself and the terrible item luck.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ok, I decided to try a VSMo^WJC and I had an absolute blast anime punching dudes to death until I died to the minotaur with a dire flail of crushing. I kinda feel like stealth works well because it lets you be a pseudo-stabber with lunging.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It was definitely surprising to me the first time I used Conjure Flame to wall off a centaur, turned a corner while running away from it, and it instantly caught up to me.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm only now realizing that WJC's wall kick lets you put a gap between yourself and enemies if you have to run away. You can even kick diagonally!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I am curious what the most lethal floors are in terms of 'what percent of characters that made it to this floor died on it'. I'm betting that it'd be D1-3, branch ends, and Z:5.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

taqueso posted:

that is one nice hat

It's probably one of the best unrands in the game.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mystery Prize posted:

Yeah that's not me. The issue seems to have resolved itself, but I still have no idea why only I was unable to connect to it for like three hours :iiam:

It's possible that someone somewhere had some hosed-up middleware that couldn't handle websockets. I know a lot of times when I'm flying I won't be able to play online even when I can browse the net.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I took on basically all of O:2 in the open with a single use of WJC's ult, spinning around to keep it refreshed and kicking off a wall to confuse enemies. WJC owns.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

My biggest problem with WJC is I keep accidentally wallkicking as I'm trying to run away.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Here's my semi-serious Council suggestion: bake whirlwind into all melee regardless of god but with reduced effectiveness and no slow; give axes 100% effective whirlwind (while keeping the existing cleave). WJC's ability gives you 100% effective slowing whirlwind.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

You feel extremely strange.
You feel robust. You feel resistant to poisons.
Molten scales grow over part of your body.
You begin to heal more quickly.

I'm going to die so horribly.

e: two-headed ogre, shafted myself, two-headed ogre

vOv fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 11, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Maxmaps posted:

Whenever I'm doing a full rune run I always put 12 points into evocations to polymorph the Royal Jelly cause gently caress fighting that guy.

Mind you I haven't played seriously for over a year so for all I know that strat doesn't even work anymore.

Nowadays it basically acts like you hit it for its entire HP, if I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

E - the ring of Haower (left hand) {rF+ rC+ MR+}
(You bought it in a shop on level 5 of the Dungeon)

so how stupid is my death going to be

e: the answer was getting shafted 3 floors into sight of a centaur and a hornet

• Locked thread