Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Running a caster and here is something I have never seen before:
code:
Search for what [? for help]? ego && robe
_Can't find anything matching that.
 Search for what [Enter for "ego && robe", or ? for help]? ego && leather
_Can't find anything matching that.
 Search for what [Enter for "ego && robe", or ? for help]? ego && armour && body
 a - [Orc:1] a shiny chain mail
 b - [D:11] a shiny scale mail
 c - [D:13] a runed centaur barding
I have cleared D, Orc, and Lair. I am wearing a +0 robe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

Team name inspiration finally hit.

City Name Crawl Team

Team captain: Haifisch

1. Someone Awful
2. Sir Sam Vimes

I'm in for this for the webtiles chat if nothing else. Plus, off work next week.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Started a Nem Choice GrEn and found this shop on D3:
code:
Welcome to Jafeopp's Magic Scroll Shoppe! What would you like to do?
 a $   33 gold   a scroll of remove curse
 b $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 c $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 d $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 e $   33 gold   a scroll of teleportation
 f $   82 gold   a scroll of blinking (unknown)
 g $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 h $  104 gold   a scroll of recharging (unknown)
i $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
Worth it to get these and use them on a +0 (edit: +5) short sword of elec?

edit: bene mut gives me evolution, first thing evolution does?
code:
 12683 | Lair:2   | Gained mutation: You evolve. [potion of beneficial mutation]
 16461 | Lair:1   | Lost mutation: You evolve. [evolution]

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 6, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Not really worth it. On a short sword of elec, most of the damage will come from the brand. Heavily enchanting a weapon you will only be using for a relatively short amount of time isn't a great idea. You're better off coming back later to buy the enchant scrolls.

The blinking and teleport scrolls should of been your first priority to ensure you actually survive long enough to find a weapon worth enchanting.

Naturally the blink scroll was my first purchase. I haven't bought the EW scrolls but I should have. I'm a short blades stabber with a hex hep pet and invis, SS of elec is amazing. I'm still using it in Spider.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I found the new salt dimension what kind of hosed up poo poo am I in for.

It's a tough portal. Watch out for elec attacks, look out for the guys who cast shadow creatures and then can blow up their summons, be super careful around the guardian serpents and convokers who can put half the zone on top of you. Also the guys who might the saltlings.

Actually, you need to look out for just about everything. You might not want to go in if you're not super tuff.

edit:
code:
Found a scroll of blinking.
_Found a scroll of blinking.
_A - 5 scrolls of blinking {!r} (gained 1)
_Found a stone staircase leading down.
_You found a web!
_A - 6 scrolls of blinking {!r} (gained 1)
_You found a web!
_You found a web!
_Found a scroll of blinking and 10 gold pieces.
_Found a scroll of amnesia.
_Found a stone staircase leading down.
_A - 7 scrolls of blinking {!r} (gained 1)

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 6, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I wish that had not been removed, also. It gave you a reason to use that 2nd Book of Air you found. It also made it easier to use spells you didn't intend to keep all game. It was a cool little addition, I know we need to prune, I think sometimes we trim too close to the branch.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

dpeg posted:

I invented book amnesia, so I'm completely biased, but I think the flavour is excellent: you're ripping pages out of a book, what's not to like?

Down to one destructional book use (Trog), gotta find me another one.

It was quite useful for one of the two main caster gods (Vehumet). Spell gifts that time out meant ever keeping spell levels in reserve or placing an insane prioritization on SC. Quite a common situation actually: I'm playing VM, say, I got flame tongue from Veh and I am pushing fire. I want to get Venom Bolt but I don't want to lose a good fire spell. With book ripping, I have a free amnesia of that spell since I want to keep all the others.

Same thing without Vehumet to a lesser degree - in that case it's why not go ahead and mem a lesser-used spell since I can amnesia it without losing a scroll? Or say I find book of flame, I wasn't going to go fire but what the hell, I can mem sticky flame or fireball because I can use the book it came in to un-mem it. Without this mechanic, I leave it on the floor. One of the main joys of this game is picking up things off the floor and using them.

To me, this is a strong argument both for relevance/usefulness. It also encourages branching out, using less "optimal" spells, trying ones you wouldn't ordinarily cast. It's a real bummer to play a caster sometimes when you feel like you have to save levels for "core" spells since you have no innate ones. With this mechanic, I try a lot of new spells, my game has more variety, and I when I find a new book I am encouraged to memorize a spell I have room for rather than feeling frustrated.

The flavor on the mechanic is also wonderful. The problem was it was buried alive. How about exhuming it with a spell list option or notation or something?

DATS MY ARGUMENT DEAL WITH IT EMOTICON OF OGRE PUTTING ON SHADES

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

AbortRetryFail posted:

Okawaru was given me pretty bad gifts this game but this is just plain rude :(

Be careful, that weapon randomly spawns hostile centipedes.

Unimpressed posted:

Just got my obligatory MiBe win so I can resume splatting casters in vain. Got a +11 demon blade "Ibrintuo" {vamp, Str+3} on Orc 1 and basically tab-o the rest of the game, even though I got abyssed twice, this was the easiest game I've ever had.

A crawl tip from my latest tourney game: even when you have a great main weapon it's good to have a backup:

Unimpressed posted:

One interesting thing I saw was that in Zot 5, both entrances to the lungs were 1-wide and had a zot trap. I didn't know what to do, eventually I just stepped on to it. Nothing serious happened on the way in, but I got abyssed on the way out with the Orb, came out of the abyss on the wrong side of the trap and stepped on it a third time, this time with no ill effects. Is this something new that happens by design? What are ways around this (other than teleporting)?

Blinking, until recently passage, hep swap. It's possible to have permanent tport traps on both lung entrances and god help you if you don't have -Tele.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I just started a Monk and I am on D7 and I have found zero altars. ZERO.

WHAT THE gently caress CRAWL.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

Have you found all stairs? Sometimes there's areas on a floor that can only be accessed via an up stair

I lost my 4 streak and Chei III banner to the STUPIDEST loving VAULT on D10. Someone made a vault with a bunch of swamp worms because LOL they can't leave water. Then they changed them to be able to. So I go into this open room with water and no runed door, not even a door. And now I have 3 swamp worms on me. And they have speed 12 on water AND land now because someone didn't give them hydra/merfolk movement when they let them land walk. So now I have 3 fast damage 26 monsters on me and I can't run.

I feel like someone should take a look at that vault. It's a death sentence on D10. Lair branch level encounter.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

tote up a bags posted:

I'm trying to choose a weapon for my DrCj, and I have these two to choose from:

u - the +12 glaive "Miqoiruts" (weapon) {freeze, rElec rF+}.
x - the +10 morningstar of Evisceration {crush, Str+4}.

Going to sink some XP into one - I'm guessing the glaive is better for midgame? (About to start doing Lair runes)

You're a caster with lovely caster apts, don't use either one unless you are turning away from the light of casting to the dark morass of melee. 20 polearms or 16 m&f to bring those online respectively. That could be 16-20 fire, earth, water, or air. Use the Glaive as a resist stick and to finish off weak opponents.

On the other hand, if you are going to be a filthy hybrid also use the glaive, wizmode reports it is 78% better.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Wow gently caress YOU evolution:
code:
You feel a genetic drift.
 Your vision blurs. Nature stops experimenting on you.
edit:

odiv posted:

Is there a way to find out how many Heal Wounds potions have generated in my current game. Because either I'm guzzling them like no tomorrow or hardly any have shown up at all.

I want to find out if I'm justified in complaining or I'm just being a whiner.

You're just a whiner.
code:
You begin reading the scroll. You continue reading the scroll.
 As you read the scroll of identify, it crumbles to dust.
_e - a potion of heal wounds
I've cleared Lair, finished D, and about to start on Orc. (edit: I mean I do have LCS online in Orc...)

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 8, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
dang, wish I had room in my pack for these...
code:
 Your pack is full.
_You see here 3 scrolls labeled QANTAT UDWECIUCS.
 As you read the scroll of identify, it crumbles to dust.
_3 scrolls of acquirement
oh well...

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
L&G I give you the Worst Jewerly Shoppe, as I found it:
code:
Welcome to Itozosh's Jewellery Shop! What would you like to do?

a -  350 gold   an uncursed ring of fire (unknown)
 b -   63 gold   a cursed ring of teleportation
 c -  557 gold   the amulet of Day {Harm *Drain Stlth+}
 d -  350 gold   an uncursed ring of ice (unknown)
e -  350 gold   an uncursed ring of fire (unknown)

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

Well I'm gonna keep whining.

Started and finished both Lair branches. No Heal Wounds since I last posted.

Just found my first potions of Resistance and Cure Mutation, at XL20, in a shop on Elf:1.

You win but I did find a stack of 3 acquirements in an ice cave at a time I desperately needed a nice dagger or QB and I got a +0 short sword of venom +2 rapier of whogivesafuck. Third one I think I got a hammer if that's still possible.

Can't we just agree the that the code, the devs, and whatever abrogious anthropomorphic form the fundamental spirit of the game itself coalesces into hates us and wants us to suffer needlessly clawing for the few drops of heal wounds that manage to make it past their rapacious maws and fall to the ground beneath their notice?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

edit: And Trog just forked over a +4 demon blade of draining, so that's cool. I'm just debating which to use now though I'm leaning toward the demon blade. I have a bunch of scrolls of enchant weapon: worth bringing that up?

Here is a tip with long blades and the fencer's gloves, get the biggest fuckoff sword you can find. Like a sword that poo poo in Berserk is toothpicks compared to, use that. It's all about making anyone who dares poke at you with one of their poncy little GSCs pay for it with their FACE. With the gloves you need just enough EV to be missed a couple times a round.

edit: bear in mind this is coming from the king of sneak who is currently running around with a little DENe plinking at big monsters with a little quick blade.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
quick blade of :boom: :boom: PAIN WHATTUP KIKU OR GTFO :boom: :boom:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Means you've burned them so hard they have to just go home and daydream about the revenge rap they are going to write.

edit:

Poison Mushroom posted:

They'll die to the poison unless they have a source of regen and/or heal before the poison kills them.

Also, I don't think that's right. Sounds like someone called for a :siren: CODE DIVE :siren: :

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=%22as+sick+as+possible%22

I think it means just what it says it does. They are as sick as possible.

edit: alarm != siren, giveamanafish.png

edit edit: that's "give a man a fish" not "give a mana fish". But you can do both!

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 9, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

FulsomFrank posted:

Where do I add this for my offline Crawling? These are borderline necessary additions for the tab-obsessed like myself.

Crawl offline options are mostly in init.txt in directory "settings" under your game directory: http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Crawl_options. There is currently no option to make offline count, sorry.

Also, this just in, you can explode saltlings with LRD they're like little popcorns

edit: peacekeepers blow up with a funky blue flame

crystal guardians are in the vaults and they blow up like crystal statues

PF didn't know you loved LRD so much, also thank you:

edit: ok, I am mad, you can't LRD molten gargoyles. What?

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 10, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Ok, someone give me a good roadmap for extended with this character (DeNe of Veh):
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/araganzar/araganzar.txt

Have LCS, Firestorm, will have Necromutation soon. Plenty of power, just not sure the best order to do things now that you can't avoid stat drain and mutation, etc. I quit doing extended when it became more of a pain than it was worth.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

Dump Animate Skeleton.
Arguably dump Bolt of Fire since Firestorm does the job more efficiently.

I have been changing spells as I find amnesia. The removal of book amnesia means a late vehumet convert has big time issues if they have poor scroll luck.

Ideally I'd lose Bolt of Fire and Iron Shot and add shatter, cblink, and servitor but I haven't found any of them with 4 runes down.

quote:

Abyss->rumble around Zot for more XP->Vaults:5->Pan->Tomb->Hell->Orb run.

Doesn't sound much different. Why Tomb before Hell, has something changed? If anything Tomb looks harder now. I thought people might do Tomb before something easy to have time to get their stats back.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

you went way further into stealth than i would've (i'd probably have stopped around ~9-10 at most - stealth is a lot less useful than it sounds, that's why it's so cheap!), and going hexer ancestor for a hexer character is sort of dubious - ideally your god would help you out when you're up against non-hex-vulnerable enemies, rather than doubling down and leaving you with no backup. knight or battlemage would probably have been better (though i'm sure it's winnable regardless).

Hexer is the best Hep pet, and it's ESPECIALLY the best pet for a hexer, because of this weird mechanic where casting hexes costs you a turn of play. Every spell it casts leads to quick kills for a stabber and it doesn't use MP. At XL19 it's the only pet you can put behind you or have miles away because it has mass confusion.

Stealth is a little high but 9-10 would be pretty low with a +4 apt. The main issue was being running shoals at XL 16 without blink or invis and 2-3 full levels of D left. Didn't wait too long to use escape. There was no escape - no fear and no blink. Also terrible gear overall, Hep is strong enough that doesn't matter but still, terrible gear. Only 1 teleport scroll. Would earlier Bat form have worked? Harpies are speed 25.

If I'm weak in Shoals I play like I'm pulling the Elf 3 vault. I sit at the stairs yelling and shooting meph clouds out, I try to always know where a stairs is, if I find a stairs I explore it to make sure I have a safe spot, etc. The threat in shoals is half monsters and half landscape.

But the main thing I want to point out for future play is this:
code:
Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Invok: Idealise          |       |       |       |       |     1 |     2 ||     3
       Transference      |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
Should have been using Transference. Drain lowers HP (edit: HD), MR, and Accuracy, all very useful for a hexer.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 11, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Fhqwhgads posted:

Was there a change to how rN worked on enemies, or does vampiric still not work against anything with at least one pip of rN? I just rebranded a venomous battleaxe into vampiric and feel like I should be all :getin: on this but am still hoarding my enchantment scrolls.

Edit: Or do I go all in on vampiric and then try to rebrand if I want to do extended? (obligatory assuming I survive to that point which I won't)

Vampiric is a very desirable ego. This is especially true if you are a pure melee with good defenses. Use it. Enchant it provided you have no reason to want to wield anything else (like a rod or ranged weapon). Threatening rN creatures are not all that common. Most of them you can simply walk away from. Battleaxe is plenty for a 3-rune win and saves you tons of xp.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

This doesn't answer my argument, though. The problem for enchanters isn't dealing with enemies that are vulnerable to hexes, it's dealing with enemies that *aren't*, and a hexer ancestor won't help with that at all.

I've won 4, maybe 5 games as a hexer/stabber with the hex pet. Enemies that are immune to hexes and see invis that are powerful enough to be an issue yet not so powerful your pet can take them with limited help are rare. And if not, you are hep, you can just transfer and walk away from almost all of them. Frankly, if you don't have invis or any other alternative to stabbing hexed creatures your game is in trouble regardless of your pet.

There are myriad situations where the hex pet is outstanding with a stabbing build and mass confuse is absolutely stupid. The only annoying thing about the hex pet is it has no idea it's paralyzed someone and will sit there hexing it when it could kill it with one stab. Meanwhile the fighter blocks your LOS like his/her life depends on it.

On draining, there's still code that drops MR based on HD but it looks like practically it's not employed due to the monster data settings. Most people I know thing it's one of the best brands. What else does draining affect? I have been told the -accuracy is better than Dith's aura....

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

(Though I'm curious - what was your experience with the battlemage?)

Accuracy, base damage (more relevant against non-weapon-users), spellpower are the main things. Also resistance to HD-checking effects (e.g. dazzlespray, meph) [...]

Oh yeah, I forgot about dazzling spray and meph since they check HD, not MR. The dagger of draining the uses most of the game is also good for that reason.

The battlemage was my 2nd favorite pet simply because he has a damaging spell set. It's quite good and if the hex pet didn't exist I think Hep would still be a strong god. Found myself using transference more, both to protect the pet and to control what it attacks. Magma/LCS does good damage against any resist.

Fighter was my least favorite simply because he has to close to melee which lowers overall damage and very often involves him getting in the way. Great if you have the patience and the geography to get him set up. If he had an aggro skill that would rock.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I lost my first DENE of the tournament on Shoals 4 when I got down to low MP and brought my servitor out to finish off a couple merfolk including a javelineer that was wrecking me.

The next turn the javelineer moved next to a wall. The servitor promply blew it open with LRD. Turned out to be the rune vault. My game ended shortly after.

Aside from that LRD + LCS is a great servitor spellset. If you keep OOD make sure you can tank one from your servitor at all times. I've died that way, too.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
For Hep worshippers, I just wanted to add that the combination of Summon Butterflies, Inner Flame, and Transference is pretty amazing.
code:
The fiery explosion engulfs the freezing wraith.
 The freezing wraith is burned terribly! The fiery explosion engulfs (⊙_⊙).
 (⊙_⊙) resists.
 The freezing wraith is engulfed in roaring flames.
_You destroy the freezing wraith!
 Your butterfly swaps with (⊙_⊙)! The plant is drained by nostalgia. x2
 Your butterfly is engulfed in roaring flames.
_You kill your butterfly!
Crawl 0.19: The plant is drained by nostalgia. x2

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Every once in a while --more-- provides a freeze frame that expresses a combo in a nutshell. Here is Halfling Fire Elementalist:

I came in to write a treatise on what fast little bastards wasps and hornets in this game are and how I hate them almost as much as I do their real life counterparts, but while doing my meticulous Petersen Field Guide level research I am forced to ask this question instead:
Why is blinkbolt being used to make spark wasps into total shitheads you hate hate hate instead of being an awesome air/transmutation player spell?

Blinkbolt posted:

Blinkbolt is a monster-only spell which transforms the caster into a bolt of lightning, blasting its way through targets and depositing the caster wherever the spell's range ends. As with any electricity damage spell, it can be reflected off of rock or stone walls, allowing for multizaps, but metal and green crystal walls end the spell's range early.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 14, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I should point out this is a halfling who has been mutated to the point that he has horns visible from 16 bits away so it's not intended to be representative of halflings overall who are a hardy mutation resistant stock and hardly ever have horns or even tiny little vestigal pig tails

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: no one said it had to be a LOW LEVEL air/transmut spell. Level 8, be a cool thing to be able to memorize as a counterpoint to the ubiquitous CBlink and worthy of consideration just on the merit of that. Being split to a garbage school is plenty of balance.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

tote up a bags posted:

What was the 27 traps one?

Traps and DOORS. Why does everyone forget the doors! A high enough T&D skill and OMG you could open doors so quietly!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Enemies in Shoals (including the branch-specific uniques) that see invisible:
Water Nymph, Merfolk Aquamancer

The most valuable thing to have in shoals is a pathological level of separation anxiety concerning stairs.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I FRICKING HATE GUARDIAN SERPENTS SO MUCH!

I had a TeAE of Sif going, 3rd streak, tons of tourney points for the combo and win. 33 int, archmagi, OOD, fireball, freezing cloud, bolt of fire, you name it. Just looking for anything with rElec so I can mem chain lightning.

Snake 3 I clear and clear from the stairs and I finally go into this vaulty looking room. There's a spawn with 2 anaconas and a guardian serpent so I fireball it.

Mambas and 2 more guardian serpents come running from the rest of a very small unexplored space along with more naga including a mage and a shock serpent.

I get one serpent but now I have 2 guys blinking everything in the room on top of me every turn. If I'd found rElec I would have had chain lightning been fine. Only a few hundred gp short of a stack of acquirements that would have amost certainly netted me a staff of air.

Running into that many fast creatures at once with guardian serpents, who are ALSO fast, is just brutal. Almost got away with fcloud but a guardian serpent moved and hit me for 25 points.

I'm so angry right now. Was on the path to a really good tourney score with the TeAE and the streak. Just lost another promising one running into a yaktaur pack pre-lair.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
New record for the most damage I've taken from an orc warrior.

Probably because I was &%$*ING ASLEEP. D8 vaults with dream sheep and a hydra are really fair:
code:
        3261 araganzar the Carver (level 9, -13/49 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Elf Chaos Knight on Nov 16, 2016.

Mangled by an orc warrior
             ... wielding a +0 scimitar
              (52 damage)

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I still think this is one of the more unfair "no chance to act" things in the game:
code:
You open the door.
 Found a mace.
 A deep elf mage and Louise come into view.
 Louise is wielding a hand axe of electrocution.
 Louise shouts!
 Louise gestures at you while chanting.
 You are cast into the Abyss!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Your chance to act is being sure to wear MR+ gear. I can't say if that's fair or not.

Yeah, it's totally fair when you've cleared D/Orc/Lair/Elf and this is your MR gear:
code:
     a - [Orc:1] a +2 leather armour of magic resistance
     b - [D:5] a +2 robe of magic resistance
I'll just put on this piece of paper with MR on it for my body armor....

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Mystery Prize posted:

Man I love Long Blades as a skill because Riposte is amazing, but it's super frustrating not being able to reliably deal with Hydras unless you luck into a decent weapon of flaming (or tons of wands to spam).

Ripostes do not sever heads - and with the # of attacks you're going to get a riposte. Equip a big rear end sword and throw javs or use wands.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

riposte only actually triggers once per hydra attack series, not once per head. ditto for other monsters with multiple attacks, e.g. trolls, and likewise ditto for minotaur headbutt retaliation (which is where the code comes from in the first place)

I've always been confused about effective_attack_number in the code. Does it restart at 0 for each monster attacking and then go up 1 for each additional attack? I see riposte is in the same section as Mino retaliation which only fires on attack number <= 0. So could I get one riposte per adjacent monster attacking?

Anyway I was killing hydrae pretty handily wielding a great sword and using wands or throwing, but riposte was at 50%. The important thing to note is you can keep your long blade equipped without worrying about adding to the heads with riposte and it will actually add damage.

Bribing V5 is like bribing Zot 5 - your bribe runs out almost immediately. TBQH bribe is pretty worthless in the areas you'd want to use it in.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 18, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

chukamok posted:

Thanks to Haifisch for setting up City Name Crawl Team. I had a lot of fun this tournament, this is the first time I got 2 wins. I might have gotten another, but time ran out. Congrats to Haifisch and araganzar for the multiple wins. I enjoyed spectating some of your games.

I actually got to spectate someone get Nature's Ally 3. That was crazy fun to watch, but I don't think I will ever attempt it.

See you around.

Quote necromancy but I've been radio silent for a while, wanted to say thanks for the team contributions and for showing up in chat a few times, it's nice to have a little sympathy/distraction when you're grinding out a frustrating game. I played really poorly the last half of the tourney thanks to being on a laptop with a 13" screen and no numpad. I just can't make myself use the keys like b and n to move or I hit the wrong one and splat myself running into trouble.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
oh goddammit

CURSE THESE ANTENNAE

edit: double dog goddamit!

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Just did V5. man that was nuts. I found a hallway and tanked the whole floor in it tho.

Is this guy ready for Zot and a win? IDK

http://pastebin.com/kXeMCkr4

You have defenses of 57/24/20, rf+++, a +9 antimagic demon whip, 3 wands of heal wounds, and Trog. I think you'll be okay.

• Locked thread