Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm moving and have no business playing crawl this week.... Is there a team I could join to try and eek out a win anyway? I don't want anyone to suffer from my relative non-participation.

I'm actually in the same boat. Maybe we should start a team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

hito posted:

Gonna make a team with a team discord to just hang out and shoot the poo poo. Low pressure team because this tournament is right during the end of the release cycle for my job (and I'm hosting a friend from out of state this first weekend). Only requirement that you hang out in Discord while you're playing because this is a team about complaining.

Sloth, let me know if you want a spot

Slow And Salty
Team captain: hito

1. Jase
2. LordSloth?

I'm down for this. Guarantee I won't win though

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I ran into two rooms with 3 electric eels in them on like D 5 or 6. I just left them alone. How would I tackle this as a regular ol fighter guy. Shoot them with ranged stuff? Wait for relec?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Well I got a Demonspawn fighter to D:11 and the entrance to lair. I cleared the ossuary and found nothing else on my way down. Managed to get two levels demonic guardian which was nice. I also am trying that Uska dance god. So this is usually the part where i run out of crawl knowledge and get myself killed.

Some skills help: I've been riding fighting and my weapon skill (flail) for the most part. Probably 10 fighting and 8 flail. I switched to armor and shield which are probably around 7 a piece. I've basically left every other skill alone. I think I keep doing this? How do I decide when I have enough fighting and flail and need more armor or vice versa?

Items: my items are pretty trash. I'm running a +2 protection flail and +0 plate. I have one ring and I don't know what it does off hand but nothing terribly special. A +2 cloak is the only other decent piece of equipment I have. Which leaves me with no resistances from items, poison or otherwise. I also have a bunch of wands but no points on evocation.

What's next? Lair? Dungeon below 11?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

InternetKraken stop leaving your ghost all over the dungeon

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Is there ghost statistics somewhere in the tournament? Whose ghost has murdered the most, ect? Did they take that out to stop lvl 27s suicides on D:1-5

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Decided to play a mummy fighter of Oka fit shits. Took him to two runes before I got overwhelmed in Elf vaults. Best I've done yet, thanks to the goons in the discord. Didn't know I'm supposed to do the money God though. Maybe next time I run a mummy

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

What's the autoexplore delay? I was just coming in here to ask about that after I watched it on someone else's game.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Had a great Gargoyle Fighter that I just lost to the entrance of Slime Pits. I had no idea those tiles did damage to you. Just walked on them and died. I was swimming in unique items that game too. Whoops

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Poison Mushroom posted:

Stay the gently caress away from Slime unless you're 15-runing. And stay the gently caress away from 15-runing unless you know what you're doing.

Basically, just don't go into Slime.

I didnt even go in! I just walked by the entrance!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I did it, I ascended a three rune demon spawn fighter of oka. I got gifted a +10 axe and plate before lair and got some major help on discord.

Woo

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Finally got a vampire necromancer off of the ground. Managed to get through 10 levels of the dungeon and to the second floor of lair. Had a hell of a time putting down some undead uniques. All that time and not a single spellbook drop. Finally put down by a pack of blink frogs. All I had was that loving starter necro book.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Prism posted:

TSO doesn't mind poison anymore, actually, though that's a new change.

The rod of clouds doesn't make those AFAIK.

It's the negative energy clouds that both those gods hate.

Is this a future change? He was complaining about poison in my 0.19 game just now

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Why have demigods when you can worship Chei?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Elaborately scalding your orc followers to death in an elaborate ritual is very orc Jesus though

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

How do you know when to switch to the next weapon tier? Like if I had a +6 Pike vs a +1 Demon Trident. How far apart do they need to be to justify the change?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Carcer posted:

That's literally the HOM argument. It annoyed you if you didn't use it because you knew it was advantageous to do so but didn't want to put up withthe busywork of having to recast the spell whenever a fight was imminent.

How can somethings mere existence be annoying like that? If you don't want to use it, fine, but let others make the choice themselves rather than making it for them.

Or you could get the best of both worlds by eliminating the busy work like:
the reserve mana bit as I was coming here to post that as well.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Mana reserve and each time your buff is checked, do a chance for the buff to drop based on your respective skill level.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

There are so many great monster ideas and levels that if I possessed any coding ability at all I'd contribute to Stoats idea.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

You could give Bone Dragons a beetle breath attack.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Why not just drop sandblasts use of stone then?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I like the dumb mummy challenge species specifically because I hate the food mechanic. Out of depth monsters should stop the dumb over resting thing. The only thing I can think of to keep it is what to do about spell hunger

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

How do I do wizmode so I can actually see what is like to be a caster that gets past lair

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Can you Wizmode on CAO or do I have to download a standalone?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I thought spell casting was mostly to depress spell hunger though?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

As someone who was a new player once it was nice to have High Elf because it is a familiar troupe. I imagine most people who play for the first time pick a race they have heard of before.

As for demigods I like the posters idea of changing up their mechanics via denouncing or something similar. What is the point otherwise if you could just worship Chei. If it's having a game enforced athiest option you could implement that with a start option. "Are you an athiest? (Not for beginners, Gods are cool doods worthy of worship)"

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Working on a new race for crawl called Eigh Hlf. They have pretty great stats and aps for hybrids. Please play and comment!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

A lot of us are old and also in academia.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Speleothing posted:

Possible, but all the Germans I've met have had a sense of humor.

The funny ones all leave

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Does the proposed change ruin the stealth mechanic?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Will it lead to weird deaths where you fail to kill a bat for 30 turns until it hulks out and destroys you?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Just change it to a generic ration then have a ton of flavor text for what dish you just ate. You can have two kinds got vegetarian and meat

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

What are the apts for a caster? I never get past lair. Do I just train spell schools and spell casting from the start?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Some kind of flayed ghost damage spell for charms?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Rofl that loving necro book. Pain Train

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Mal mutate with the idea of portal spawning in the abyss. They are temporary but you have to kill to get them to go away.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Please remove the food system

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Sometimes I'll load up a crawl game again and after butchering and eating chunks through the first 5 levels I just get loving sick of the tediousness. I don't have to do it as often as I do I am sure but god drat is that a boring set of button presses. Stand on top of corpse, butcher, eat chunk, kill repeat. Ugh. Get rid of it

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

You could partially remove them for some races. Only keep those mechanics if you play high elf for instance! Problem solved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Let felids wear scarves at the cost of *Rage.

• Locked thread