Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

artificially stocked lake posted:

This was a really good Game 7 but yeah Twins/Braves is still better for the nervefactor of a scoreless game after 9 innings plus Jack Morris' 10 inning complete game shutout. Not a single starter made it to the 6th inning in this series which is p hosed up imo.
I was thinking about this, would anybody let Morris go 10 today? If you were blind to the result, is there actually an argument that it was a mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Matt Wieters won't get a QO and the Braves are reportedly interested

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inciarte got his.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

tadashi posted:

I think the Braves are going to have an elite defense so long as Adonis isn't starting 85% of the games so I think those signings make sense as a team that isn't in Flags Fly Forever mode yet.
You assuming Markakis moves and Inciarte/Mallex make up for Kemp? And I think Dansby made some great plays but also his share of rookie errors and 2B is still uncertain so the middle infield could be not to far above average.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Braves get Alex Jackson and PTNBL from Mariners in exchange for Max Povse and Rob Whalen. Povse's been coming back from TJ but has good stuff if he makes it, Whalen has been tearing up the minors but might have an AAAA cap. Or not, who knows b
So Jackson's a top '14 prospect who struggled in single-A? I guess I'm fine with that. Seems like one of those trades where the most likely outcome is no one remembers it at all in a few years.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Does the no comp picks thing go into effect now for current FAs or later?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dexo posted:

Could just be me but I as a fan of a large market team don't give a flying gently caress about Billionaires overpaying dudes . And The Yankees are in a better place than the Cubs financially. They aren't going to be constrained down the line by overpaying someone.
This is probably a stupid question but as a fan of a rebuilding team I've been curious about it -- does ownership give front offices a long-term budget over a few years? Like I don't give a gently caress about Liberty Media's balance sheet but should I actually give a poo poo if the Braves keep payroll down because they'll have more to spend later when they expect to be competitive?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

From some of Coppy's old twitter Q/As it doesn't look like it really works that way. Hard to say though, especially with the Braves. The Rumor is that Liberty is trying to get the team ready for sale with the new stadium, but who the gently caress even knows.
Interesting. Liberty did do that weird deal where they spun off the Braves into their own stock thing.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

naginalJJ posted:

Rangers trade Luke Jackson to the Braves for Brady Feigl and Tyrell Jenkins. :geno:
Jackson for Jenkins is giving two guys who projected well but got shelled their first time up in MLB each a change of scenery, I guess. This sounds like a "Coppy got bored" deal.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sydin posted:

"Angels prospect" is an oxymoron.
Who was it they sent our way for Simba along with Aybar? Was that Sean Newcomb?

e: Aybar, Newcomb and Chris Ellis, who was recently flipped to St. Louis as part of a deal for one year of Jaime Garcia.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 11, 2016

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Braves extended Ender Inciarte, 5 + 1 option for ~$30.5m. I'd say that's buying high after his outstanding last year but that still sounds really cheap.

e: he was already under control for a few more years, so this is basically just a raise?
ee: he had four years of arbitration

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 23, 2016

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I spaced on baseball from like 97 to two years ago and Houston being in the AL is still hosed up to me

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Same, also the Brewers
That one somehow doesn't bother me cause I guess I've just never had any reason to notice the Brewers, whereas the Astros had a bunch of stars when I was paying attention as a kid.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I liked Mallex but those guys coming back do sounds promising.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

@RaysBaseball: #Rays have acquired OF Mallex Smith, minor league SS Carlos Vargas & minor league LHP Ryan Yarbrough from SEA in exchange for LHP Drew Smyly

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I don't know where Mallex was gonna fit in for the Braves; Ender Inciarte has center locked up for years and Mallex doesn't hit enough to play everyday at a corner. Hope he gets his shot somewhere else cause he's fun to watch.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Braves get Micah Johnson from LAD for a PTBNL; this news mostly served to remind me that Jace Peterson is still with the Braves. Could have sworn he left in some random deal.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sean Rodriguez is having shoulder surgery after that car accident his family was in and is expected to miss a few months.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Now coming out that the Phillips deal is the Braves will abide by the 12-team no-trade clause he had and will pay him half a mil if they trade him to anyone else.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dingleberry Jones posted:

In a macabre thought, I wonder how MLB would handle it if, heaven forbid, a plane carrying a team went down.

Would they bring up AAA players to finish their season? Would there have to be an expansion-esque draft? I'm sure it would devastate the game for several seasons to come.
They got a rule for that. Long story short if a catastrophe costs a team five or more players, the commissioner decides if they play out the season, and if so, everyone else has to offer up five players for the affected team to draft from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It is weird, reading all this my first thought was this naive confidence that, in the event of such a tragedy, everyone involved would follow those procedures sensibly and in good faith, and I can't imagine thinking that about any other aspect of American life at this moment.

• Locked thread