Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That was the most exciting baseball game I've ever watched. Anthony Rizzo is possibly the most adorable baseballman ever.

But now that the Cubs have won, it's time for me to go back to complaining that the Brewers have never won a world series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I keep seeing people say this did people not watch game 6 2011?

I didn't get really into baseball until 2012. I started watching because I moved to a new town where there was very little to do and needed a way to kill time in the summer, and then I got hooked.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol, look at those chicken legs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intruder posted:

Watch out world the Astros have claimed Nori Aoki off waivers

Offseason: handled

:suicide:

Aoki is the best! Don't talk mean about my beautiful Aoki!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Explosionface posted:

On the topic of not free agency, isn't this supposed to be the offseason the Wrigley bullpens are moved under the bleachers?

I just found myself thinking about it and couldn't dig up anything more recent than last year.

its sad that the san fransicso giants will be the last NL team to respect the good and correct position of bullpens.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm gonna miss watching opposing players fall down from tripping over the bullpen mound while trying to catch a pop-up. I'm also gonna miss the Cubs bullpen not flinching as a line drive screams their way. :sigh:

I know the office building is also supposed to be done this offseason. Will the plaza be done too or is that in another year?

basically any time they make changes to a park that aren't quality-of-life improvements for the fans i think it's dumb. renovating clubhouses is one thing, but removing tal's hill is loving stupid and removing foul-territory bullpens is loving stupid too. my favorite thing about baseball is that there are barely any rules about the layout of the park other than the configuration of the infield. you want a triangular outfield wall? why the gently caress not? polo groups? go for it! 700ft as your short porch? gently caress it, why not?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Again, gently caress every last one of you who is even joking that a trump presidency was a "worth it" trade. I just woke up today in a world where I literally have no idea whether I'll be permitted to use public bathrooms, whether my family will be permitted to adopt children, or whether my health insurance will even be required to cover my healthcare anymore. My entire world just turned into a cloud of uncertainty. Please don't perpetuate the intense whiteness of baseball by saying a loving game's championship title is worth Donald Trump as president of the united states.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CubsWoo posted:

MLB will destroy the Indians World Series gear instead of donating it to overseas charities. MLB says it is being done so the merchandise does not end up being sold.

oh no, poor people might receive money in exchange for goods

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

you realize the cubs world series had literally nothing to do with the election right?

It's just extremely unfunny to me, as a queer person, to see people making jokes about trading a Donald Trump win for their team to have a world series victory. If you mean to imply that I'm literally dumb and so god drat crazy that I think baseball actually affects elections, you're being a disingenuous dick. But when you literally have people in here going "I would have accepted this for an Astros win" or "it was worth it to see the cubbies win", yes stop that loving poo poo. It's not funny. It's not a joke. This poo poo loving happened and now a lot of people are going to have their lives altered in ways that your average baseball fan cannot possibly relate to.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RC Cola posted:

You realize Kevlar is gay as well right?

Yes. Kevlar hasn't made any jokes like that. Read the last 3 pages for fucks sake, do I need to give you a god damned list?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Right, but I'm talking about now, today. People started making those jokes again. Like. Just stop it. Talk about baseball, complain about Buster Posey's gold glove, whatever. But don't make light of a tragedy for a whole bunch of people.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

This is the Something Awful forums no? It's entirely built off poor taste.

i guess ill come back to the baseball threads in 4 years. my life just went from maybe having a kid this year to wondering if my marriage will even be legal. there's poor taste and then there's poor taste.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

I actually don't think the Brewers are four years away from competing but I wonder what the Brewers' front office thinks.

The Brewers' front office (as in David Stearns, Child Prodigy) thinks that the team needs to focus on the draft and developing talent for the next few years. They're getting as many prospects as they can MLB time to see how they develop and who they can build around.

The Brewers' owner Mark Attanasio is a true baseball fan and every time the Brewers get on a 4 day hot streak starts flapping his lips about how if we just get the right guys in there we could contend, this year maybe even.

I genuinely believe a lot of the things we attribute to Doug Melvin's leadership had more to do with Attanasio pestering him all the time to go for it. Hopefully Stearns is more resilient against that and trades every tradeable guy for more prospects. Ryan Braun absolutely should not be in Milwaukee anymore, and it's a crime that Khris Davis isn't in Milwaukee anymore.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

4-5 years from now is when the bulk of the Cubs young talent base will hit FA, which means if you're an NL Central team trying to rebuild that's probably when you'd like your window to open. Honestly I think the Brewers could compete even before that, since they have a decent core of young guys who are going to keep getting better, and a fledgling ace in Davies. They just need to find more answers for their rotation beyond Davies.

They have several guys cooking in the minors, and I imagine their big trade targets this year will be pitching prospects (since Stearns focused mostly on position players last season). I don't think there's any reason to get to aggressive hunting down FA pitching talent or even current MLB trade targets until they have a group of bats who demonstrate that they can hit consistently through a whole season. The Brewers this season were extremely hot-and-cold and while a lot of them came out with okayish numbers, the wins weren't there and while the pitching has been a problem, there's plenty of games they lost 2-1 or 3-1.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

this sucks. why are cool pitch dudes going to the racism team? i cant cheer for them now :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tom Gorman posted:

When I was 22 I thought the Boondock Saints was a cool movie and mostly ate Totinos party pizzas for dinner. I was real excited to have two couches that matched.

I hope he gets all the money when the time comes.

i had four jobs and bought an engagement ring on a credit card. i support baseballmen's endeavor to funnel money away from the capitalist class.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Anyone else watch the Fastball doc on Netflix? It's pretty bland but it's baseball, so I'll watch Goose Gossage talk about the Law of the Jungle and Walter Johnson's 83.2 MPH heater.

I watched it, but I thought that physicist's math to show who had the "true" fastest fastball was pretty loving dubious considering there was no discussion on the comparative accuracy of the different devices and so on.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Paul Zuvella posted:

The taint of Bud Selig is finally being washed from baseball

if you miss it, visit historic miller park, home of the bud selig experience interactive exhibit

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Eltoasto posted:

Braves just acquired Jaime Garcia from the Cards for prospects. I hate this trade, can't have players with girls names out there.

This makes me happy because no matter how broken he is, Garcia loving owns My Team every time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
So far this offseason David Stearns seems to be questionable as a GM. He left Kirk Nieuwenhuis (who is terrible) on the roster despite having better guys in the majors or ready to come up at every position he can play, left some seriously endangered guys off the roster (we are probably going to lose Wei Chung Wang in the rule 5 draft), and non-tendered Christ Carter while signing Eric Thames (who is a worse Chris Carter). If you're going to sit in a holding pattern at the major league level, it seems weird to be pushing buttons and pulling levers to acquire different lovely players than the ones you already have while also keeping your talent that needs major league time blocked by holding onto guys who don't deserve a contract.

I really hope that Boy Genius David Stearns doesn't turn out to be one of those guys who just likes to make enigmatic moves for the sake of it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tadashi posted:

Thornburg is heading to Boston in what looks like a pretty good deal for a reliever of his caliber, considering 3 more years of team control, especially in this absurd reliever market.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/red-sox-agree-to-trade-with-brewers-relief-pitching-likely-headed-to-boston.html

I forgot that rebuilding means pain :(. I love Thorny B and I will miss him and his beautiful face. I guess I can cheer for him in Boston if I flee there to escape the midwest.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hand Row posted:

I think the Brewers really think highly of Dubon. Probably fear of Thornburg getting injured/short history of success as well.

I am starting to have some serious Ship of Theseus struggles with this team though, for real. How do all you old-timers deal with this?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

CarGo deal is 1/$11.5m. A bit higher than I was hoping but not absurdly so. I was thinking more like $9.5-10m. Meh. I'm happy with the signing, he was a good fit last year.

You mean GoGo silly!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

"Meant to do that."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I guess I'm kinda young compared to most people on these forums but I was always under the impression that white people loved disco

What you need to understand, young man, is that the history of things white people like is the history of white people taking things from black people, brown people, native people, and queer people and then taking credit for it. Sure disco was a big deal to white folks, but before it was disco is was a fusion of African and Latin dance music and it was being played in queer night clubs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

patonthebach posted:

Offensive to women:

Not offensive to natives:

They're both offensive. Because women are 50% of the populace it's easy for MLB to sell getting rid of demeaning costumes to the teams as a simple way to potentially expand in that demographic.

Unfortunately native Americans have next to no voice or purchasing power in our society at all, and so it's much easier for them to just keep saying "we'll fix it eventually". Please don't do the whole song and dance where one offensive thing going away was never actually offensive because this other offensive thing you care more about didn't go away yet. It's stupid.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GeneX posted:

You're the second worst poster in this thread

There's no need to self-burn like that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

patonthebach posted:

I guess it just seems insincere and that the MLB is posturing. Okay, so maybe 5 players on maybe 5 teams once a year have to wear a dress. This is bad metrics for the league. When 162 games a year a team is a loving caricature of a minority that was genocided in that country.

I do agree its a step forward, but it seems there are so much more glaring issues right now.

Whelp, better not do any good things ever until chief wahoo is gone.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

This is a good point. While it may be funny to see grown men in princess outfits youth hazing can really easily runaway into emotionally and physically dangerous avenues. For real it's a step in the right direction.

This is the whole problem genius. The fact that it is apparently funny merely for a man to dress like a woman does is the whole entire point. The whole behavior indicates an attitude that womanhood is fundamentally funny and demeaning, and in some way embarrassingly inferior to manhood.

which is why:

bewbies posted:

I asked a half a dozen women who are parts of my life for various reasons, all of whom are both educated and ranging from very to extremely liberal, if they found the hazing pics posted in this thread thus far offensive. 3 of the six had no opinion and 3 of the 6 found it funny.

I realize this anecdotal and I have no strong opinion about this one way or another but I'm kind of wondering who the target offended audience is.

Also they still use a racist caricature for a team logo thats cool.

is a dumb way to determine "is this offensive" because there's not a "target offended audience" (believe it or not, people don't just go around seeking offense). It's offensive because it places an entire class of human beings as inferior to another and reinforces that negative cultural stereotype.

And before anyone goes "but why are drag queens ok then", it's because drag is an art form that has a long history of mocking cultural stereotypes about gender and hazing has a long tradition of reinforcing bad cultural norms through lovely behavior.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

patonthebach posted:

If the WNBA rookies were hazed by drawing on fake beards and wearing mens clothing, would that be offensive too?

If men were treated throughout society as worse than women, yes. Cool how hypotheticals are worthless for describing the real world.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
They should be called the Cleveland Spiderstockings and I'll hear of nothing else. Spisox for world series 2019.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Let's just call them "The Cleveland".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Your Taint posted:

Spiders are proof that there is no god. No supposedly all-knowing, all-loving deity would allow such a horrifying creature to exist.

I let spiders live as long as they stay in the basement and by outside doors. Any that break this treaty are killed. I'm trying to breed a race of superspiders that keep all insects, pedes, etc out of my house without bothering me. A couple have figured it out and they are my friends.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Good Dog posted:

Channing Tatum weighed in on this.

Angels traded catcher Jett Bandy to the Brewers for catcher Martin Maldonado and milb pitcher Drew Gagnon. Making some big moves this year.

Maldi is cool, take good care of him. He moves around real smooth for a fat guy and has the voice of a movie gangster. Also caught a 17-inning game where he drove the winning run in. I'll miss him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nmfree posted:

Hopefully he makes it long enough to be on the same major league roster as Maverick.

There is no way that greasy, haggard-looking motherfucker in that photo is 22 years old. I will not accept it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's that time of the offseason where I start getting a little stir crazy and think about what silly rules would be fun in a baseball game.

These are ones I haven't thought of before:
1)Add ringouts to baseball. If a player goes over the fence or wall to make a catch, they are out of the game and no one can come in to fill his position, though obviously the remaining 8 players may position themselves however they like.. You must keep >50% of your body over the playing surface not to be out.
2)Managers must DH during the 7th inning.
3)Every time any player on the field touches their balls, a ball is called for the hitter at the plate.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My opinion is Curt Schilling is a dick and I don't care particularly how good he was at baseball.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Der Meister posted:

Let all these loving guys. Who gives a poo poo if he's a terrible person? It's a sports league hall of fame not a Nobel prize. Come at me

When a sports player does something lovely people tend to just go "Whelp, what do you expect from a sports player? At least he's good at his job." I just think if people stopped tacitly endorsing lovely behavior from talented athletes maybe talented athletes would behave less lovely.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Your Taint posted:

Otherwise Ty Cobb and Ted Williams (and others) wouldn't be in.

I have never liked this argument. Our culture is different than when they went in. Why can't the criteria be different? We don't have to keep doing the same stuff just because that's what we've always done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The 90's boom was new stadiums, when that dried up it became RSNs, I have no idea what's next since you can't really go to online any more than MLB has without knifing your cable partners in the back. We're probably a generation away (if ever) that cities will be willing to play the stadium game again so what's left but to maybe try to pull off what the Cubs are doing with a bigger, grander Yawkey Way sort of a deal- hotels, entertainment, etc. to make the ballpark area as much of a year round attraction as possible.

I think ESPN figured out decades ago that 20 bucks a month from sports fans < 4 bucks (double that for ESPN) from everyone.

They should add a second league the plays in the off-season so they can fill seats year-round. Too bad for teams that don't have domes.

• Locked thread