Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I pissed off my dogs with how hard I was cheering. Not even a Cubs fan! But congrats to all the Cubs fans on this forum, you never have to worry about waiting for next year again :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

petition to rename SAS Cubsdome

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Who's on everyone's free agent wishlist? I don't think the Yankees will sign anyone of note, but there's a nonzero chance they sign EE to fill out DH and one of Chapman/Jansen to close. Any other moves will probably be trades or something

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

AL MVP: Betts
NL MVP: Bryant
AL Cy: Kluber
NL Cy: Scherzer
AL ROY: Sanchez
NL ROY: Seager

Feel free to quote this when it's completely wrong

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

New York hero Big Bart signing with the Braves makes sense, the Braves need someone to stopgap

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the Yankees can get anything remotely of value for him, then I'll be super happy. I'd imagine he waves his NTC pretty easily. The guy wants to play, and with Bird and Sanchez on the team, McCann is going to catch every 4 games and DH maybe.

e: I just remembered that Starlin Castro is going to still be our starting 2nd basemen :smith:

fret not, Didi outweighs Castro's streakiness. the way I see it Castro is keeping the spot warm for Torres/Mateo, whoever gets insanely hot and forces the issue

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

FlamingLiberal posted:

A's managing partner Lew Wolff stepped down and is selling his share of the team. I guess some A's fans are happy because it looks like that may be a positive development in regards to a future stadium? I don't know enough about that whole situation to be sure. With the Raiders probably leaving Oakland I think that's good for the A's

I feel that if the Raiders leave, the Coliseum will be a good stadium once they tear down Mt. Davis and install working toilets

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Senf posted:

Nope. I love watching games there, but the Coliseum is trash. Hell, the City/County still owes about $120M on the 1995 renovations that added that monstrosity.

I did not know that. I hope the A's stay in Oakland, there's no reason why they should move if they're putting competent people in charge

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Yanks traded Brian McCann and cash to the Astros for Albert Abreu and Jorge Guzman

that seems kind of... light? I have no idea who these guys are

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Yanks have almost entirely purged their 2013 offseason splurge, which is actually fairly impressive. Only contract left is Ellsbury, which would take a Herculean effort to get someone to take

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Niwrad posted:

I understand Torres is a great prospect but what are the odds he develops into a ML All-Star? 20%? A Ball is a long ways from the Majors.

I mean, the odds of a teenager in A ball reaching All-Star level production are really, really low. probably around 10% or so. if Torres ends up playing decent defense at SS and hits like .260/.310/.440 he'll be a 10 year starter for the Yankees.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

TheChaosPath posted:

I will never understand how anyone could prefer their team winning one incredibly specific configuration of 11-12 games over many years of watching them win 80s to 90s of games, but I actually like baseball so

nobody remembers the 116 win Mariners! the 73-9 Warriors are an internet meme from now until the heat death of the universe. people remember the titles, friend

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm intrigued by the Yanks possibly signing Mike Napoli instead of going big on EE or buying on a potential "year too late" scenario with Beltran.

I think a three year deal gets the job done, dude still rakes

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

St. Dogbert posted:

Reports are out of potential CBA strife.

I can't imagine they won't get it done. I mean, what kind of third-rate bush league would come off a terrific season where the longest-suffering franchise finally won the big one in a series everyone was watching, look poised to enjoy a major surge in popularity across the continent, and piss it all away on a meaningless work stoppage? That sort of thing seems like it would tank the league's public image and reduce revenue for decades to come, not to mention cause animosity with the union that would result in more, and worse, work stoppages in the future. No major league would be ridiculous enough to actually do that, right?

Right?

2016 has been an unpredictable year, I now totally expect a backbreaking work stoppage

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think the Pirates have to try and pry away at least two MLB ready players and maybe a player right off the roster. there's really no recent deals outside of the original Justin Upton trade. Cutch has two years remaining on his deal, and I think it'll be safe to assume that he plays closer to his career marks given that he's only 30 and should have a couple of more seasons at peak level

for reference, the Upton trade was Upton and Chris Johnson for Nick Ahmed, Randall Delgado, Brandon Drury, Martin Prado, and Zeke Spruill. Delgado was a top 50 guy, and Drury was in the top 100. Ahmed and Spruill were lottery tickets attached to the end. Prado was a good bat and offered positional versatility. This should be the baseline for a McCutchen trade, and the Pirates should get more since McCutchen is a better player than Upton

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Rosenthal says that the Pirates are the ones being aggressive in offering McCutchen to clubs. That's pretty interesting, and you have to wonder if the Pirates are sacrificing short term success in order to get their kids more time to play.

So who's realistically in play for Cutch? I think Washington makes the most sense, but i don't know who else has the payroll plus prospect capital to make a deal

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yankees are close to a deal with Matt Holliday. Holliday is probably going to DH, so no catching balls with his dick

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ZenVulgarity posted:

Holliday can also spell someone it they need a day off in the outfield. Depends on the money really

I like the move but I'm concerned that Holliday will fall off a cliff offensively. he's 37 and declined some last year. the lineup is also really right-handed right now too

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just realized that today was the first day of the Winter Meetings. usually there's more fanfare on Twitter, but it was quiet this year

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Cardinals will poof a CF out of nowhere, and he will be an All-Star player

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ScottyJSno posted:

N: Mainichi Shinbun Reports Shohei Otani has signed to a 1 year $2,370,000 deal. This matches Yu Darvish for the largest deal for a 5th year player in NPB history.

I have been going down the rabbit hole of NPB contracts, and labor rules.

• Draftees pay is fixed and you can only negotiate the signing bonus. So far so good.

• You are likely representing yourself. In 2001, Japanese owners gave players permission to be represented by an agent in contract negotiations. However, the use of agents in Japan remains extremely circumscribed. Agents must be Japanese attorneys and Japanese citizens, and each agent is limited to representing only one player. Japanese management contended that the use of agents would create a contentious atmosphere that would undermine the spirit of cooperation in negotiations with players. Tsuneo Watanabe leader of Japan's most prominent team, the Yomiuri Giants stated, "If one of my players brings an agent into contract negotiations, then we'll cut his salary."

• A NPB club has control over a player’s labor as a professional baseball player in Japan for a minimum of seven years. This is for domestic free agency. And those years only count if you are on a team's main 28 man roster. International free agency is 9 years service time. Only twenty-nine players in the NPB used free agency to change clubs between 1993 and 2012.

• Free agent signings incur compensation:
    “A rank” players were in a team’s top three players for salary and compensation is either money (80 per cent of the player’s last salary) or money (50 per cent of player’s salary) and one unprotected player.
    “B rank” players were in a team’s top four to ten salary earners and compensation is either money (60 per cent of the player’s last salary) or money (40 per cent of player’s salary) and one unprotected player.
    “C rank” players are all other players and teams receive no compensation for these players.
    Hiroshima Carp have never signed a NPB free agent. (as of 2015)

• First year salary of a free agent who transfers to a new club cannot exceed the salary paid by his current club.

• A player who changes NPB club as a domestic free agent must complete an additional four years of service to become an international free agent.

• Most players only sign 1 year contracts. Again most likely with no agent. Contracts are based on last years performance.

• In Japanese baseball salary arbitration is more properly characterized as a privilege that may be requested by a player, but that does not have to be granted. Players are theoretically eligible for salary arbitration every year if they can not agree with their club.

• Salary arbitration in Japan are reviewed by a three-person panel consisting of the NPB commissioner and the two league presidents. No neutral party, and no pro-player party.

• There have only been six decisions by the salary arbitration panel in Nippon Professional Baseball. Only once has the player won.

If every one want me to stop this I will make a NPB thread.

Edit forgot my sources:

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1009&context=sportslaw

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1648&context=sportslaw

I find all this fascinating, thanks for posting it

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Red Sox got Sale in a relative fleecing, it should have hurt way more to get him

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Nationals got played extremely hard, it'll be funny if they miss the playoffs next year

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Inspector_666 posted:

That's a team almost overly cognizant of their window, right there.

They completely sold the farm and didn't recognize why they got rejected for Sale, Mike Rizzo needs to get shitcanned asap

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Seriously, the prospect price of these trades keeps growing and growing

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

i'm loving livid at that Chapman deal

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I mean, you figure 2017 and 2018 are going to be lean years for the Yanks, so I don't get this move at all. 5 years for a reliever, even for the best one on the planet, makes me squeamish. the Yanks are also trying to get under the luxury tax, so this, uh, doesn't help

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

corn on the cop posted:

how long until the yankees are in a position to contend? three years at least?

I'd say two or so, depends on if Severino turns into a real MLB starter and if Kaprielian stays healthy all year to make a jump. the offensive core seems to be in place with Bird/Sanchez/Judge in the middle of the order, so it really depends on developing reliable pitching

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

apparently the deal has an opt-out after three years, so it's a better deal than the one Melancon signed if he doesn't get hurt

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I don't like the Chapman deal because he sucks as a person. I sort of like it because its effectively a three year deal, and as long as he throws 100+ and keeps his walks down, he's going to be electric whenever he pitches. the Yanks won't be doing much winning next year, so his arm will be relatively fresh next time they're competing in the playoffs

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

nope! Baseball lacks a floor, meaning a team can be like the Padres and not have to have an albatross on their contracts. of course, the players get screwed here

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I thought I blotted out Kevin Youkilis's time as a Yankee from memory, this thread has brought it back

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I want the Rockies to create the "gently caress it, go deep" version of a baseball team

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

my apologies all, my brain is fried due to finals! my point was that the Rockies should double down on offense like the old days and sign both EE and Trumbo for maximum dingers/minimal defense

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Ya, it wouldn't make much sense for the Yankees to acquire Cutch given how they want to get under the tax and the logjam in the OF. I'm chalking that rumor up to nothing but speculation

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Curt Schilling has a HOF playing career but I think he'll get in by some sort of shadow committee because the writers aren't going to vote him

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner takes on a whole new meaning with this trade

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I completely forgot that Chris Sale got dealt to the Red Sox. the Boston media is going to love him, as for when he complains he's just being a leader and showing heart

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bagwell, Raines, and Pudge are this year's HOFers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bonds was at 53.8%, Clemens at 54.1%, Edgar at 58.6. Hoffman and Vlad are locks for next year.

• Locked thread