Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

artificially stocked lake posted:

This was a really good Game 7 but yeah Twins/Braves is still better for the nervefactor of a scoreless game after 9 innings plus Jack Morris' 10 inning complete game shutout. Not a single starter made it to the 6th inning in this series which is p hosed up imo.

Congrats Cubs fans though! The last time the Cubs were World Champions, literally 99.99% of the current population was not born.

This game 7 was sloppy but it definitely had more dramatic swings (figuratively and literally) than '91. Also, I got to stay up to watch the ending because I'm a loving grown up man and nobody can tell me when to go to bed or how long it is appropriate to quietly sob in the living room at the end.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

joeburz posted:

Love that Ross gets a dinger in his last game ever to fix that embarrassing 2 run wild pitch, even though it's not his fault

Also, the wild throw that setup the wild pitch that wasn't his fault because he was just covering for his buddy.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I just think it's weird that Guyer was traded for Garza, then Garza was traded for Edwards, and Guyer was standing on second when Rajai hit his dinger and then Edwards closed out 2 of the final 3 outs.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

I still can't wrap my head around that rain delay. The rain wasn't very strong, and when they resumed the game it was still going! Total momentum killer for Cleveland. Not saying it cost the game but it solved no problems whatsoever so wtf.

I think it certainly played to the Cubs advantage. I think what they thought they couldn't have happen was a suspended game since that would be a logistical nightmare so the tarp prevented a worst case scenario.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

And, in response, the Ricketts gave him 1 million loving dollars. I guess my praise of their development of the team was the wrong approach.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Regarding QOs, isn't there a decent chance that they are changed in this new CBA?

Also given the returns the Yankees got for Miller and Chapman, I can definitely see a team (maybe the Yankees???!!!) deciding to just say "gently caress it" on losing the draft pick since you can trade the guy for multiple top-end prospects later if you have to.

It sounds like changing the QO is the players' number 1 priority after all the usual stuff (major league minimums and super 2 qualifications, for starters).

What's weird is that the QO is a much bigger gambit for teams than arbitration and it potentially hurts teams less than the old A/B compensation system but for some reason it's hurting players more than the old system.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Nevermind.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 4, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Should we move parade/rally talk to another thread?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popero posted:

This is such a strawman though: nobody thought the Cubs were underdogs (just look at the Vegas lines). What people thought is that they had been historically completely inept, which is of course true, and that winning would be a huge accomplishment for a pretty crap franchise, which is also true. I'm not even a Cubs fan, but this line of thinking is nonsense.

To make this argument:

quote:

this is baloney! The Cubs aren’t, and never have been, the little guy. Not in Major League Baseball, and not even in their own town. They’re a big, strong, abundantly advantaged organization, blessed with avenues to success that genuinely burdened organizations like the friggin’ Tampa Bay Rays will never have.

Is to not understand how the Cubs were run for 30-something years. Under the Tribune ownership and then especially under Zell, the people with the purse strings thought they knew more about how to run a baseball team than the baseball management people they hired. It's how they chased off one of the best GM in the team's history (Green) and then kept the team cannibalizing itself at the end. The team only focused on player development or only focused on signing free agents. They could have spent a lot more on free agents than they did in the 90s and a lot more on player development than they did in the early 2000s. We were lucky that Jim Hendry's knack for finding talent worked for the team for a while (and that goes back to MacPhail's era).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

How do we think Kyle Hendricks responds every time he hears Trevor Cahill remind people he also got into Dartmouth?

E: Maybe Trevor Cahill secretly is Tom Tango. It would explain the slide in his performance as he became more famous for stats.

I'm just gonna keep going...

E: gently caress. I was excited about this parade but the stream is blurry, I can barely make out the players from fans wearing jerseys and I'm too busy to turn on the audio. And 99% of the shots of players are just the backs of their heads?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 4, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Theo has literally cemented his position as the greatest GM in the history of the sport, it doesn't matter what he does from now on. I'd imagine he keeps cashing those chicago checks for a bunch of years and then fucks off to make the Rockies or the Padres relevant or something.

I could see him reaching the point where he wants to do the John Hart thing and work less but continue to have an impact with a team. In that case, it'd make sense to leave but that's a long way off. Plus, so long as a smart owner owns the Cubs, I think they'll give him whatever he wants.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm surprised we didn't see pictures of fans guarding Theo's house so he can enjoy this week without worrying about mobs breaking down his door (it's walkable from Wrigley).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Who took their shirt off?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I kind of wish the Cubs would not extend a QO to Fowler just as a parting gift. On the other hand, I would be fine throwing some money at him since he's one of the reasons the team has the depth to use other players in creative ways so maybe it'd help them re-sign him?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Rich Hill hasn't signed an extension, right?

I think you have the answer to what the Cubs want to use that Hammel/Fowler money on unless I missed something.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Chexoid posted:

Man. I must have been not paying much attention but I guess Mark Trumbo's defence was especially vile this year. How do you hit 47 dingers and end up with less WAR than Darwin Barney.

He also sucks at baserunning and offense was up all over the league and the AL East has 4/5 hitter friendly parks so the total offensive component of his WAR was roughly equivalent to Kole Calhoun on Fangraphs and worse on BREF.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 7, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Neodoomium posted:

what the hell is this ball hitting to bounce away from them

The camera is zooming in and from a weird angle. It makes it looks like the ball curves when it's just staying on it's path and spinning. It never comes anywhere near the relievers.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

Lol what

There's clearly someone on that grassy knoll.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Why do the Mets need a DH? Did they not learn that not having a CF is probably a bad idea?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lots of guys from the 08 Rays were big Obama supporters. That's all I've got.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's just extremely unfunny to me, as a queer person, to see people making jokes about trading a Donald Trump win for their team to have a world series victory. If you mean to imply that I'm literally dumb and so god drat crazy that I think baseball actually affects elections, you're being a disingenuous dick. But when you literally have people in here going "I would have accepted this for an Astros win" or "it was worth it to see the cubbies win", yes stop that loving poo poo. It's not funny. It's not a joke. This poo poo loving happened and now a lot of people are going to have their lives altered in ways that your average baseball fan cannot possibly relate to.

If it helps morale at all, I told my wife, mother, and anyone else who would listen that I'd happily watch the Cubs lose for another 100 years if I could trade it for a Clinton victory.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Adrian Beltre posted:

"I think I'm happier for him than for me because for the last couple of years, he has played such a great defensive first base and was never recognized," Beltre said. "Most of my mistakes are throwing the ball and Mitch has saved me so many errors and makes things look easier for me."

Adrian is the best guy :unsmith:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Did anyone else have images of 1998 Rod Beck dancing through their head during Chapman's innings in Game 7?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Shohei Otani is a loving goddamn monster human being what the hell

https://gfycat.com/AbleOrganicAnchovy

He's going to get all the money when he gets posted. Every dollar.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the Yankees can get anything remotely of value for him, then I'll be super happy. I'd imagine he waves his NTC pretty easily. The guy wants to play, and with Bird and Sanchez on the team, McCann is going to catch every 4 games and DH maybe.

e: I just remembered that Starlin Castro is going to still be our starting 2nd basemen :smith:

I think the market is pretty strong for catchers since it's feast or famine out there.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

every sports site I visit says Greinke is "potential trade bait" but who the gently caress would eat that big of a contract AND give up players.

I think last season's rush to give up more for relievers than we ever thought possible in 2016 proves that there are teams with money to spend who don't have the talent where they need it and they have more money available than they'd let on.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Roster Resource has their projected lineups updated, which is kind of a fun time waster if you're looking to identify team needs. This is without any projected free agent signings. Site is kind of slow to load...

http://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-roster-grid/

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Would it be dumb for the Marlins to set their sights on Grieinke? Their path to the postseason required an ace to pair with their salary controlled players and, well...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

That's a lot of money and now he can just retire if he doesn't have a great 2017 and teams don't want to give him anything for 2018.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

These articles drive me crazy.

http://www.realclearsports.com/articles/2016/11/15/theo_epstein_new_and_improved_billy_beane_98474.html

Epstein isn't a better Beane. Beane has to sell his chimney to buy firewood every 5 years.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think the Braves are going to have an elite defense so long as Adonis isn't starting 85% of the games so I think those signings make sense as a team that isn't in Flags Fly Forever mode yet.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

Astros going cheap again, what a shock

I'm sure Morton and his career 4.1 FIP and 1.44 WHIP is just what this team needs to put it over the top

e:

The article in question:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-phillies-are-curveballing-their-way-into-the-future/

And yes, the same factor that brought in the wildly successful Collin McHugh, perfect

This feels like it was yesterday but it was actually forever ago.

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/7/29/2303478/roy-halladay-and-charlie-morton-can-you-possibly-tell-them-apart

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

I can see voting for Porcello over Verlander because it's really close, but not putting Verlander on at all just makes no sense unless they're voting Porcello/Happ/Kluber entirely based on ~winz~

This, but the AP guy from Tampa voted Tanaka over Verlander in spite of less wins for Tanaka (but a better Win%) which just seems like a gently caress Justin Verlander vote. The MLB.com writer voted for Sanchez with his final vote, rather than Happ, because ~ERA~ even though Happ pitched 30 less innings than Verlander.

It's difficult to swallow how arbitrarily people fill out the ballots. It's like they have a different set of standards for each spot.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Porcello got no votes?
:lol:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

I defied my wife tonight

By eating a half pound of sugar free gummi bears she told me absolutely not to eat more than three or four a day of

Kill me

There are videos of people doing this and it doesn't look like fun.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I wish the MVP voters could be appointed as EC electors.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Twins have outrighted Trevor Plouffe. :fuckoff: I hope this means the new front office is going to burn the shack they inherited to the ground and lay the foundation for something new. It's going to be a weird off-season in Minneapolis. They've got a few pieces but literally all they've got is a few pieces.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

They should be shopping Dozier so goddamn hard right now.

If he and Santana are still Twins on opening day, somethign is going horribly wrong, especially in this FA market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Huh, gleybar Torres was named Arizona fall league MVP

Edit: Jesus Christ he had a 1.158 OPS

Teams really should trade with Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer because they might rip you off but you might also end up with a possible best-in-generation infielder or at least one of the best.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 21, 2016

• Locked thread