Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Running a Swap tourney on Friday, brackets here
http://challonge.com/fnpt1_swi
http://challonge.com/fnpt1_ps4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm in...if the endless Puyo game I started last night is over by then that is

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Getting Puyo Tetris tomorrow and I'm excited to have some casual fun with it. I'm sure I'd be crushed in online play, but I'll probably dip my feet into it.

I don't think I'll be ready for your tournament this Friday, but if another one comes down the line I'll probably be willing to be humiliated.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 11, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I bought the game today. It's the first puzzle game I've ever bought apart from Catherine. Here's hoping I'm going to enjoy it!

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
play as the fish

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm playing Science Bear and there's nothing you can loving do to stop me.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
pii pii piiii

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Swap? Eh.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Swap is the best mode

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Evil Eagle posted:

Swap is the best mode
Shots fired. I prefer versus when online, but Swap with buds is very good.

I've come out the other side of ironically enjoying playing as Amitie and now unironically play as Amitie; send help.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
fusion is really fun, who's th best character for it

DorkBot3000
Nov 3, 2012

Tempura Wizard posted:

Shots fired. I prefer versus when online, but Swap with buds is very good.

I've come out the other side of ironically enjoying playing as Amitie and now unironically play as Amitie; send help.
:same:

What's wrong with Amitie? I've played as her since day one.
Oh dear. Am I a bad player who makes bad decisions? :(

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zand posted:

fusion is really fun, who's th best character for it

Draco is the best character for every situation.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

DorkBot3000 posted:

:same:

What's wrong with Amitie? I've played as her since day one.
Oh dear. Am I a bad player who makes bad decisions? :(

Nothing's wrong with Amitie, she's a cool lady who likes hanging with her magical friends!

(I just used to dislike her in Fever because I was a too-cool teenager who didn't like Very Good, Fun Characters like Amitie).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like playing as Ecolo because he's a huge rear end in a top hat.

Alt voice Lemres is good too because when he wins he sounds like a huge rear end in a top hat.

Satan is also v.good.

Witch has the best counterattack image in the game no contest.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I went up against noted had-tweets-posted-in-this-thread player S2LSOFTENER and I'm pretty sure I'm dead now. :rip:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

What do the characters actually do differently? I play as the big fish guy because of the way he shouts TETRRRRRIS.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Outside of Fusion mode, nothing. In Fusion they have different drop sets (indicated on the character select screen), and it's very advantageous to pick one that has lots of "larger Puyo" (3s and 4s) versus someone who has only 2s (Arle).

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
They get different types of items in party mode, but lol if you play party mode

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
The only reason I ever played party mode was to cheese tetris fullclears for the trophy, because I'm a scrub.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Do different characters really have different items in Party? I thought it was just that it was based on where you were score-wise (being behind = getting better items). If so that'd make sense, I guess.

Score vacuum can go gently caress itself.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zamujasa posted:

Do different characters really have different items in Party? I thought it was just that it was based on where you were score-wise (being behind = getting better items). If so that'd make sense, I guess.

Score vacuum can go gently caress itself.

Yeah, "Evil" dudes get score vacuum so make sure you pick Satan or Ecolo and be a pain in the rear end.

DorkBot3000
Nov 3, 2012

Tempura Wizard posted:

Nothing's wrong with Amitie, she's a cool lady who likes hanging with her magical friends!

(I just used to dislike her in Fever because I was a too-cool teenager who didn't like Very Good, Fun Characters like Amitie).

Oh, I see. PPT is my first encounter with Puyo so going in I didn't know anything about...well, anything. I had honestly never even heard of Puyo Puyo until it was announced for Switch. But Very Good, Fun Characters are my jam so I liked her immediately!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I am jealous of all of you.

I waited since launch for Amazon to have the Switch in stock; because that's where I have hundreds of gift card money saved up.

I want to play a colorful Tetris game that doesn't suck.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJP9LwJgwfk

gently caress

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

did the hardcore tetris crowd move to this or are they still playing grandmaster

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
There was a split in the community a long time ago between Tetris players who stuck with TGM and those who follow guideline Tetris

From what I've read PPT is the best guideline game in recent memory

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

I like the idea of doing 2s and 3s because if you use a Tetris you prep one for your opponent. Thanks for sharing the strategy vid.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

After getting stuck at 3-4 because I had no idea how Big Bang worked for Puyos, I've now blown through the campaign and am well into world 7. Stopped being able to 3* things somewhere in world 6, and took a few games before I started to figure out fusion and why i would just randomly go from safe to a full screen of garbage. Glad I gave the campaign another shot.

I still can't play online because holy poo poo people.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I hit 6k rating last night then promptly slid back hard after losing like 15 straight to crazy Japanese players

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
My PS4 save was deleted yesterday, after I played local MP for the first time and then restarted the game. Has this happened to anyone else? It's not a big deal since I willl mostly play MP but I'd rather it didn't happen again.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Got the credit roll, took a little time to crack Fusion that first game it showed up but ultimately ended up clearing 7-10 on my first try. Difficulty wise, do things get harder in 8-9-10 as compared to going back and 3*'ing the things in 6 and 7 I didn't. 6 is mostly 2's, 7 is mostly 1's with a few 3's.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Hi, is this the thread for talking about tgm? I downloaded texmaster earlier this week and have been playing nonstop since. Ridiculously addictive! The cool thing about tgm1 in particular is that the entry and lock delays are not only generous but remain constant throughout the game, meaning that the game is playable by humans. The highest level I've managed to survive is ~700 but I'm real happy with my progress.

I know tgm is real popular during GDQs but I encourage everyone to actually try the game out, especially if you own an arcade stick. There's nothing like 20G tetris and you might be surprised how quickly everything clicks (literally, even) once you understand the rotation system and how to move pieces across the stack.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Owned a TGM2 board for a few years, the series is the best Tetris. If PPT had a TGM ruleset DLC, it would be my favorite game ever.

Despite playing it weekly for a few years, I never got particularly good at it. :negative:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i have the tgm 1 2 and 3 roms in my arcade cab

ive always wanted to get good at tetris

whats the normal path for people getting into it? I remember the AGDQ segment which was loving rad, and they were talking poo poo on the game boy version. i was surprised to see that competitive NES tetris (not tengen) was a thing since one of the players was hardcore in it i guess

idk why the tetris scene seems cool, maybe ive gone full dad

edit ill just post it bc im rewatching it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViwDUiCzPVU&t=3s

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
There aren't really any tricks to ARS Tetris asides from practice to increase your speed and clean stacking

Well okay you should only ever make Tetris holes on the rightmost column in TGM due to biases in the rotation system

For Guideline Tetris you can look up guides on finesse and tspin setups and openers and twists. Guideline is dumb as gently caress though

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

PPT is really good. I've never gotten into puyo before because of color blindness, but after unlocking the sonic puyos I'm really loving swap mode.

Is there a consistent steamer/uploader for matches? I know of S2Lsoftener but that's it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You can check the game page on Twitch, it'll show you who's streaming it. Most of the people who stream the game are not very good though.

S2L is a very big exception to that, though.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

For starting out with tgm, I found this guide more than sufficient. You'll also want to be familiar with IRS and ARS. The guide I linked is something you should read through its entirety, but chapters 6 and 7 specifically are essential for surviving 20G. Speaking from my noob experience one of my biggest hurdles was learning how to not get the I, J, and L pieces stuck. Integrating specialty rotations and wallkicks is something you'll slowly get used to over time. Maintaining a clean stack is another story lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you might not want to start with TGM3 because it has wall and floor kicks not in the previous games that will gently caress you up if you learn with them in place

• Locked thread