Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Mozi posted:

"when we leave the EU we can take those billions and give it to the NHS instead!"

"actually you get more from the EU than you give..."

"well we'll just spend it on an enormous ship for her majesty the queen then!"

that's literally untrue though. britain was the second biggest net contributor so they were giving more money to the eu than they got back including any and all rebates. unless you mean that the economic benefit of being in the eu outweighed the price they were paying, maybe? that's not something anyone can really measure though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CountryMatters posted:

that's literally untrue though. britain was the second biggest net contributor so they were giving more money to the eu than they got back including any and all rebates. unless you mean that the economic benefit of being in the eu outweighed the price they were paying, maybe? that's not something anyone can really measure though

lol

it's totally measurable and it's totally way more than britain was contributing. there's a program that directly puts cash into Britain's private sector to fund science research for example, horizon i think

quote:

The CBI estimates that EU membership brings economic benefits to the UK worth as much as €97 billion a year.

Even if you took the leave camp's completely false and inflated €300m/week figure that's still only what €15b a year?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 4, 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I know you guys are in the middle of a bad breakup, but I just wanted to let the people of Great Britain know that when you're ready to join The United States of America, we're here for you. You never really belonged with those French and Germans, they don't understand you like we do. We literally speak your language. I get it, they were close, it seemed like a natural fit, but you know who's been there for you through the great wars. Join The Union, baby, you know that you belong with us.

Text us

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Management posted:

I know you guys are in the middle of a bad breakup, but I just wanted to let the people of Great Britain know that when you're ready to join The United States of America, we're here for you. You never really belonged with those French and Germans, they don't understand you like we do. We literally speak your language. I get it, they were close, it seemed like a natural fit, but you know who's been there for you through the great wars. Join The Union, baby, you know that you belong with us.

Text us

Nobody needs another poor violent jobless craphole state

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

this is a desperation move. the (((global elites))) are flipping their poo poo. they don't know what to think. their end is nigh. the union jack will fly free once again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kleen ate a three day ban for racism for this post. Is there some sort of hidden code I'm not seeing?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Those brackets have come in to fashion with white nationalists to signify an enclosed Jewish name.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
We're back to probating obviously sarcastic freeper posts in new new old new gibbis.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Clitch posted:

We're back to probating obviously sarcastic freeper posts in new new old new gibbis.

kleen has been postin racist poo poo in gbs for years if hes ironic hes dedicated to it

yeh it totally would be better if gbs was closed again due to racist retards than to have people get reported
vvvv

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 4, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There really should be "snitch bitch" tags for people that report posts.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
If he's a notorious racist, then I retract my comment. I didn't check his rap sheet to vet him, or anything.

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
True fact: George W. Bush once choked on a Brexit.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

quote:

Nigel Farage has warned fellow politicians that any attempt to block or delay Britain's exit from the European Union will be met with untold anger from the public.

This loving turd doesn't know when to shut the hell up.

He sucked the political money teat for years running on the Brexit idea, then when the stars aligned and he finally got what he wanted, he realized that he hosed up and immediately got the hell out.

But then he's still pulling poo poo.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that's because he's being bankrolled by russia

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Clitch posted:

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

lol

it's totally measurable and it's totally way more than britain was contributing. there's a program that directly puts cash into Britain's private sector to fund science research for example, horizon i think

That program is taken into account when calculating the figure: https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

quote:

In 2015, the UK's ‘public sector receipts’ amounted to £4.5 billion

So overall we paid in £8.5 billion more than we got back, or £23 million a day.

The Treasury figures note payments the EU makes directly to the private sector, such as research grants. In 2013, these were worth an estimated £1.4 billion, so including them could reduce our net contribution further still.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Flatline posted:

That program is taken into account when calculating the figure: https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Well okay but it still ignores the economic benefits being in the EU brings and every independent evaluation I can see indicates Brexit would result in the loss of billions of euros a year to the economy.

unless i'm doing my math wrong, £23m a day is £8.4 billion a year.

Then you have this:

quote:

A so-called Brexit could cost the economy as much as £100 billion ($144 billion) and 950,000 jobs by 2020, new research commissioned by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) has found.

quote:

Analysis conducted by PwC looked at two possible EU exit situations, both looking at how successful certain trade negotiations would be reached for the U.K., following an exit.

In both scenarios, U.K. gross domestic product (GDP), living standards and employment would be "significantly reduced" compared to keeping its EU membership; with the average household income seeing a £2,100 to £3,700 drop in 2020 as one consequence.

Even if the U.K. quickly secured a free trade agreement with the EU, PwC analysis suggests that GDP could still slip as much as 3 percent in the next four years. However, the analysis does suggest the U.K. will see some signs of slight recovery by 2030 even if it chooses to leave.

So you'd stand to lose, conservatively, around £30 billion a year or more and it could take you until 2030 for the economy to recover back to where you are today.

Analysis can be wrong obv but imo 'soft Brexit' where the UK can just retain all the benefits without the free immigration and taxation stuff is a total 100% pipe dream. Why would France/Germany/EU ever agree to something like that where the UK can reap all the benefits without contributing?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 4, 2016

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Solice Kirsk posted:

There really should be "snitch bitch" tags for people that report posts.

saexit now

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In fact it is in the EU's best interest to make a Brexit as 'hard' as possible to discourage other countries going 'well poo poo if the UK can keep all the cool stuff without having to have open borders and regulation then we want that too!' which would result in the end of the EU.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

Well okay but it still ignores the economic benefits being in the EU brings and every independent evaluation I can see indicates Brexit would result in the loss of billions of euros a year to the economy.

unless i'm doing my math wrong, £23m a day is £8.4 billion a year.

Then you have this:

So you'd stand to lose, conservatively, around £30 billion a year or more and it could take you until 2030 for the economy to recover back to where you are today.

Analysis can be wrong obv but imo 'soft Brexit' where the UK can just retain all the benefits without the free immigration and taxation stuff is a total 100% pipe dream. Why would France/Germany/EU ever agree to something like that where the UK can reap all the benefits without contributing?

Have you read the report commissioned by the CBI?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
actually, its in the US's best interest to prevent brexit because the republic of california is a real thing that could happen

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Can't we just like... i dunno, bomb the UK or somethin

loving traitors

lets bomb em

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Flatline posted:

Have you read the report commissioned by the CBI?

is it really sloppily done or something?

I haven't, I just take on face value that the UK will lose out on certain economic benefits and it is kind of baffling to me that no one on the leave side wants to acknowledge that as part of the "here is how much we pay to the EU!" stuff aside from kind of a dismissive 'well no one can really quantify that anyway' even though there presumably exist people whose entire job is to quantify that.

That particular report may be flawed, like I said I haven't read it myself, but when I was googling just now that wasn't the only report to pop up that indicates similar numbers.

Plus like I said, it is in the EU's interest to make Brexit as hard as possible on the UK despite what the UK actually wants to do. I think even if the UK decides on a soft Brexit, France and Germany won't be on board.

Blazing Zero posted:

actually, its in the US's best interest to prevent brexit because the republic of california is a real thing that could happen

inshallah

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 4, 2016

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Private Speech posted:

Lot's of leavers went on about parliamentary sovereignty. Now the judges said that yeah it should be upheld they suddenly decided that it's not a real british parliamentary sovereignty (because the parliament is full of EU stooges or something). It's stupid bullshit like 'states rights' or whatever

You're stupid bullshit.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

is it really sloppily done or something?

I haven't, I just take on face value that the UK will lose out on certain economic benefits and it is kind of baffling to me that no one on the leave side wants to acknowledge that as part of the "here is how much we pay to the EU!" stuff aside from kind of a dismissive 'well no one can really quantify that anyway' even though there presumably exist people whose entire job is to quantify that.

That particular report may be flawed, like I said I haven't read it myself, but when I was googling just now that wasn't the only report to pop up that indicates similar numbers.

Plus like I said, it is in the EU's interest to make Brexit as hard as possible on the UK despite what the UK actually wants to do. I think even if the UK decides on a soft Brexit, France and Germany won't be on board.

inshallah

It's not sloppily done but its conclusions are based on a huge amount of assumptions and caveats that are detailed in the report. It's also modelled on two very specific scenarios which don't really take into account the UK securing trade deals in a reasonable amount of time. For example under one scenario it assumes it will take us 10 years to secure a trade deal with the USA.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Flatline posted:

For example under one scenario it assumes it will take us 10 years to secure a trade deal with the USA.

Ah well then yeah it's worth looking at more closely I suppose. That in particular is pretty laughable there's no way it'll take more than a year or two to hammer something out.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

It's really not.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Blazing Zero posted:

Secession from the United States is illegal. See the American civil war for more information on how that works.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Ah well then yeah it's worth looking at more closely I suppose. That in particular is pretty laughable there's no way it'll take more than a year or two to hammer something out.

CETA took 7 years to negotiate.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Can't we just like... i dunno, bomb the UK or somethin

loving traitors

lets bomb em

Why would you do that now that they left all on their own?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ballistics statistics posted:

This loving turd doesn't know when to shut the hell up.

He sucked the political money teat for years running on the Brexit idea, then when the stars aligned and he finally got what he wanted, he realized that he hosed up and immediately got the hell out.

But then he's still pulling poo poo.

That's the best part. Farage finally got what he wanted, then immediately resigns because he knows poo poo is hosed. How does this not set off alarm bells for everyone else?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's the best part. Farage finally got what he wanted, then immediately resigns because he knows poo poo is hosed. How does this not set off alarm bells for everyone else?

Maybe they're just happy he's gone?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

In fact it is in the EU's best interest to make a Brexit as 'hard' as possible to discourage other countries going 'well poo poo if the UK can keep all the cool stuff without having to have open borders and regulation then we want that too!' which would result in the end of the EU.

the only way for the EU to make Brexit "hard" is to strong arm the member countries from making separate (favorable) deals with the UK. by doing this they will make themselves look more authoritarian and exacerbate anti-EU sentiment.

so you see the EU is hosed either way, no matter what it does!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

the only way for the EU to make Brexit "hard" is to strong arm the member countries from making separate (favorable) deals with the UK. by doing this they will make themselves look more authoritarian and exacerbate anti-EU sentiment.

so you see the EU is hosed either way, no matter what it does!

EU countries can't negotiate individual trade deals with the UK and all it takes is one to veto any deal so the UK is going to have to agree to the individual demands of 27 countries or automatically fall under WTO rules in 2 years.

All the EU has to do is nothing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

kecske posted:

what I'm saying is kill all boomers

Where do I cast my vote?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jim Flatline posted:

It's not sloppily done but its conclusions are based on a huge amount of assumptions and caveats that are detailed in the report. It's also modelled on two very specific scenarios which don't really take into account the UK securing trade deals in a reasonable amount of time. For example under one scenario it assumes it will take us 10 years to secure a trade deal with the USA.

Trade deals take a lot of time to get done, especially when one party has severe delusions of grandeur

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

please knock Mom! posted:

Trade deals take a lot of time to get done, especially when one party has severe delusions of grandeur

are you talking about the UK or the EU?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Rutibex posted:

are you talking about the UK or the EU?

He was talking about a trade deal with the US.

A US led by one of the two current candidates.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

please knock Mom! posted:

also the Visegrad has already said it will use their vetos on any kind of trade deal between UK - EU unless UK guarantees to preserve the right of free movement, which is what the olds are trying to get rid of due to a paralysing fear of the polish.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The mass emigration from the Mid East has doomed the EU. Get out while you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Prorat posted:

The mass emigration from the Mid East has doomed the EU. Get out while you can.

Just don't sign up to schengen, which the UK didn't lol

• Locked thread