Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kecske posted:

also the Visegrad has already said it will use their vetos on any kind of trade deal between UK - EU unless UK guarantees to preserve the right of free movement, which is what the olds are trying to get rid of due to a paralysing fear of the polish.

thats a total non-starter. i'm pretty sure the entire reason for Brexit is immigration control and national soverignty.

the UK does not have a small economy. how much is the EU harming itself by trying to strong arm the UK? what does the EU think they can accomplish, do they really think these tactics will cow the UKIP types? acting tyrannical will only embolden independence minded people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Rutibex posted:

thats a total non-starter. i'm pretty sure the entire reason for Brexit is immigration control and national soverignty.

For real once negotiations are over its going to be exactly the same except for immigration control, for which the UK will compensate the EU in some way. Five years from now.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Rutibex posted:

are you talking about the UK or the EU?

:rolleyes:

I think we're done here.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

the UK does not have a small economy. how much is the EU harming itself by trying to strong arm the UK? what does the EU think they can accomplish, do they really think these tactics will cow the UKIP types? acting tyrannical will only embolden independence minded people

Problem is though that the EU isn't strongarming anyone. This entire narrative is totally made up. The UK got told from the very beginning, in clear and simple terms, that the best they could ever expect is a deal like the one that Norway or Switzerland got(full access to the market, full contribution to the EU budget, free movement). Nothing else was ever on the table and never will be. It's not even up for discussion. If the UK is hoping for anything else it's absolutely delusional.

(And even that isn't really guaranteed, since Norway and Switzerland got that sweet deal due to historical circumstances that do not apply anymore and certainly not in the UK's case. What the UK is getting might very well be worse.)

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flocons de Jambon posted:

how do they make the skin of pretzels so glossy?

I think it's supposed to be an egg white glaze.

But that's probably been replaced by cheap artificial goop.

Gamer With Dignity fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 5, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Problem is though that the EU isn't strongarming anyone. This entire narrative is totally made up. The UK got told from the very beginning, in clear and simple terms, that the best they could ever expect is a deal like the one that Norway or Switzerland got(full access to the market, full contribution to the EU budget, free movement). Nothing else was ever on the table and never will be. It's not even up for discussion. If the UK is hoping for anything else it's absolutely delusional.

(And even that isn't really guaranteed, since Norway and Switzerland got that sweet deal due to historical circumstances that do not apply anymore and certainly not in the UK's case. What the UK is getting might very well be worse.)

telling someone that you are so powerful and strong that you must accept a deal on my terms is fairly strongarm. the UK is the expert in this area, they have been doing it to other nations for centuries.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Flocons de Jambon posted:

how do they make the skin of pretzels so glossy?

Lye

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Literally the only good thing to come out of Brexit is that there are a lot of useless UKIP cunts who are MEPs and soon they won't have jobs.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

telling someone that you are so powerful and strong that you must accept a deal on my terms is fairly strongarm. the UK is the expert in this area, they have been doing it to other nations for centuries.

You seem to be under the impression that the EU is supposed to give a poo poo about the feelings of some random foreign country. It doesn't. Its first responsibility is to its members and it's going to try to get the best deal it can for them, just as it always does, just as it should be. You are free to trade with the EU on the same terms as anyone else in the world and we would be very happy to. That's not strong-arming, that's literally how we treat everyone else in the world all the time.

But that's not even the main issue here. One of the central ideas of the EU has always been that economic integration has to be combined with political integration and that this is the only way this entire thing can work long-term. (The euro crisis is one of the best example of what happens if you do the one without the other.) The UK can't get the full EU benefits without full contribution on ideological principal, even allowing one exception would set an extremely bad precedent for the future, without any real benefit for anyone but the UK. It's not happening.

Also also, Poland, a member of the EU, is never going to allow discrimination against its citizen just for pride reasons alone. I mean, have you ever met a Eastern European? It's "noble clay" all the way down over there.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

Haha

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gamer With Dignity posted:

I think it's supposed to be an egg white glaze.

But that's probably been replaced by cheap artificial goop.
Nope, its because of drain cleaner.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

turns out the brexiteers had no loving clue what they wanted other than a paradise on earth that was also not in the EU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Strategic Tea posted:

turns out the brexiteers had no loving clue what they wanted other than a paradise on earth that was also not in the EU

Seems pretty reasonable imo

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Congratulations to the brits. Despite the heavy competition this year your country has been unmatched in it's retardedness.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

kikkelivelho posted:

Congratulations to the brits. Despite the heavy competition this year your country has been unmatched in it's retardedness.

haha yeah sure buddy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

You seem to be under the impression that the EU is supposed to give a poo poo about the feelings of some random foreign country. It doesn't. Its first responsibility is to its members and it's going to try to get the best deal it can for them, just as it always does, just as it should be. You are free to trade with the EU on the same terms as anyone else in the world and we would be very happy to. That's not strong-arming, that's literally how we treat everyone else in the world all the time.

But that's not even the main issue here. One of the central ideas of the EU has always been that economic integration has to be combined with political integration and that this is the only way this entire thing can work long-term. (The euro crisis is one of the best example of what happens if you do the one without the other.) The UK can't get the full EU benefits without full contribution on ideological principal, even allowing one exception would set an extremely bad precedent for the future, without any real benefit for anyone but the UK. It's not happening.

Also also, Poland, a member of the EU, is never going to allow discrimination against its citizen just for pride reasons alone. I mean, have you ever met a Eastern European? It's "noble clay" all the way down over there.

yeah and all that integration stuff and taking marching orders from Brussels pisses off a lot of anti-EU feeling folks in EU member countries that are not the UK. they are already upset because the euro is loving them in the rear end, if Brussels tightens the screws and doubles down on integration to show up the UK they will have more Exits on their hands.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Rutibex posted:

yeah and all that integration stuff and taking marching orders from Brussels pisses off a lot of anti-EU feeling folks in EU member countries that are not the UK. they are already upset because the euro is loving them in the rear end, if Brussels tightens the screws and doubles down on integration to show up the UK they will have more Exits on their hands.

Integration is the only way forward for Europe if it wants to survive. Sooner or later even the dumb eurosceptics will realize that a without a federal Europe the large global powers of this world will easily influence and control us. The UK is already licking the boots of China and after the brexit process actually starts they'll have to do exactly what their new "friends" on the other side of the globe tell them to. If Europe wants to stay relevant and powerful on the global stage it must unite before it's too weak to resist new rising powers like China and India.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I want to see an isolated britain crumble and poo poo itself tbh

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

You don't get to dictate the rules of the country club, you either pay and sign up to the rules or you don't. Saying "gently caress you, I ain't following your rules, I ain't paying for poo poo and I'll be here next Sunday to play so the course better be vacant" is the diplomatic equivalent of "I DO NOT CONSENT! I DO NOT CONSENT! I DO NOT CONS-AAAAARGHBLAAGAAAAAAW".

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 5, 2016

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

basic hitler posted:

Maybe together with global warming brexit will turn the isles into a southern european holiday destination.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

basic hitler posted:

:same:

public idiocy needs to have consequences at some point so that people can start learning their lesson. this rate of public retardation is just unsustainable in the long run.

some part of me even wishes for Trump to win so that Americans can start understanding that things can and will get worse when you do something extremely stupid and irresponsible. problem is that unlike the UK, the US is actually economically important for us, so I don't want to see them burn.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

public idiocy needs to have consequences at some point so that people can start learning their lesson. this rate of public retardation is just unsustainable in the long run.

some part of me even wishes for Trump to win so that Americans can start understanding that things can and will get worse when you do something extremely stupid and irresponsible. problem is that unlike the UK, the US is actually economically important for us, so I don't want to see them burn.

I hope trump wins and leads us to a new golden age

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

kikkelivelho posted:

Maybe together with global warming brexit will turn the isles into a southern european holiday destination.

England wouldn't know what to do with a warm sunny day

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

I hope trump wins and leads us to a new golden age

Trump will be emperor of Oceania. those smelly eurasians deserve nothing but war and eternal scorne

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

basic hitler posted:

no, but the loud and obnoxious foreigners would

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This brexit is making me thirsty

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

It's funny that you think people learn from their mistakes. They don't do this at an individual level because there is always someone else to blame, and en mass the stupidity is magnified.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

basic hitler posted:

uh excuse me we have a proud history of complaining about the sun when it's out, or the lack of sun when it's not.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

My favourite fact about the Farage plane crash is that the plane was a Polish model and was taken down by the big-rear end UKIP banner getting tangled in the rudder. It's almost as poetic as Jörg Haider crashing in a Volkswagen Phaeton.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

My favourite fact about the Farage plane crash is that the plane was a Polish model and was taken down by the big-rear end UKIP banner getting tangled in the rudder. It's almost as poetic as Jörg Haider crashing in a Volkswagen Phaeton.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

We're not talking about a powerful people trying striving for greatness here. We're talking old people and uneducated racists. There's no will to power. Far from becoming a great independent nation, all we seemingly want to do is die quietly. We want a nice corner to curl up and die, free from polish and other foreigns.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
*Loudly quits office job in front of everyone*
"What do you mean I can't come back here for free coffee and pens!?! Quit strong arming me bro!!!"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Regarde Aduck posted:

Far from becoming a great independent nation, all we seemingly want to do is die quietly. We want a nice corner to curl up and die, free from polish and other foreigns.

This is the general impression I get from England

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

This is the general impression I get from England

Not satisfied with being the Greatest Generation, the old fuckers are shooting for the Last Great Generation, before the world is a lawless, desolate wasteland.

From U.S. Millennials to UK Millennials, I posit that it's us or them. You guys grab your knives. We'll hop down to the corner store, and stock up on assault rifles.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zev posted:

Yea, but do you give people the autonomy to choose to make a mistake or do you go the authoritarian route and make them do the "right" thing? Like imo, it's better to gently caress up today and make people live with what they chose than to toss off democracy and let elites rule.

I'm the opposite. It's irresponsible to consciously confirm and allow a slight majority of people deceived and lied to to destroy the global economy and social exchange between nations for no good reason.

If someone has a gun to their head, you don't just let them shoot themselves. Grab the arm, pull it down, slap them across the face and tell them to don't ever do that again.

e: Practical results are more important than dying on an ideological hill. Western countries certainly don't have qualms over the democratic process when it comes to overthrowing Latin American countries (just ask Thatcher and the Falklands what they think), this should be a moral cakewalk by comparison.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 6, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

That's perfect.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Management posted:

It's funny that you think people learn from their mistakes. They don't do this at an individual level because there is always someone else to blame, and en mass the stupidity is magnified.

Meanwhile, us non-idiots have to suffer on a societal level while the idiots destroy everything and the accelerationists are :smug: at how change will suddenly erupt in due time.

Don't let the idiots make the mistake to begin with. Don't allow their measures and ballots to pass or their parties to come into power. Restrain their idiocy.

Vote Hillary 2016! :abuela:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

e: Practical results are more important than dying on an ideological hill. Western countries certainly don't have qualms over the democratic process when it comes to overthrowing Latin American countries (just ask Thatcher and the Falklands what they think), this should be a moral cakewalk by comparison.

once we start doing it to ourselves a very important illusion is shattered. i think we need that illusion to have a functioning society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rutibex posted:

once we start doing it to ourselves a very important illusion is shattered. i think we need that illusion to have a functioning society

Keep in mind, this is not some extraordinary reach of power or tyranny by the EU. I hate to use patronizing metaphors, but it's like some teenager is fed-up and wants to move out. Like, yeah, they could leave, but the family might still vote to let them leave or not. It's still written in the law and our general social ethics, though, that the parents are legal guardians of that teenager and have the final say in whether they are allowed to leave. This is not unusual or the case of a (using the metaphor) violent parent physically restraining or ejecting the child.

I know it's not a perfect metaphor by any means, but does that make sense? I had the American Revolution taught to me at one point in terms of family metaphors like this, so it's something I'm trying to use here :shobon:

• Locked thread