Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Kuato posted:

I've lived in the Seattle, Portland and DC areas

And there's your answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 229 days!)

Krunge posted:

Most accurate post in the thread so far.

I'll give you a 4 for it, that's as high as I can go.

You should have offered him three, idiot.

Oh, old man, what WON'T you say?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

*disconnects internet feed, telephone service and jams cell signals*
*Smugly watches the scripted idiots sweat as they try to pretend they know the worth and history of what people bring in*

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Cartouche posted:

*disconnects internet feed, telephone service and jams cell signals*
*Smugly watches the scripted idiots sweat as they try to pretend they know the worth and history of what people bring in*

you mean in the show that, as a matter of routine, consults experts in various fields on the worth and history of what people bring in? because they dont know?

pawned b*tch

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
"I got four supreme and three meat lovers pizzas; extra toppings, three orders of wings, three cinnamon sticks and four 2-liter cokes."

"$500, no $700!"

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Im the expert on early americana that lives in new england but just happens to be a phone call away

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I think this:

is cooler than this:

and also I'm an idiot who poops in my own pants - this thread, basically :rolleyes:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Jaunty Monty Ping posted:

Which of the following people never owned a tool?

A. Hermann Goering

B. Erik the Red

C. Tiny Tim

i think the obvious answer is tiny tim but im going to be sad if this is not real trivia

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

extra stout posted:

i think the obvious answer is tiny tim but im going to be sad if this is not real trivia

what is a cane but a tool for fictional gimpy children?

edit haha this guy https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Tim_(musician)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Blistex posted:

<goes to parking lot to sell vintage stereo to a guy on craigslist>
<gets stabbed>

<finds buyer for his high-end mountain bike on craigslist>
<buyer comes to his house, lowballs, doesn't even seem interested in the bike>
<home gets robbed the next week while he is at work>

<posts ad for 42" tv on craigslist>
<5 hours after posting the ad his phone and email starts to get bombarded with junkmail messages>

lot of cities are starting to roll out craigslist safe harbors, well-lit areas with cameras and all that. its really nice tbh

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaunab posted:

"I got four supreme and three meat lovers pizzas; extra toppings, three orders of wings, three cinnamon sticks and four 2-liter cokes."

"$500, no $700!"

Listen, the more we negotiate, the colder this pizza gets. My price goes down every time you haggle. :colbert:

*has secret stash of gabagool*

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Jonny 290 posted:

lot of cities are starting to roll out craigslist safe harbors, well-lit areas with cameras and all that. its really nice tbh

yea in boston we call those parking lots or a police station and theyve been around decades

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EVIL NOONER posted:

yea in boston we call those parking lots or a police station and theyve been around decades

Or just a gas station in the nice part of town.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Larry Parrish posted:

Or just a gas station in the nice part of town.

believe it or not gas stations usually have a place to park a car

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

EVIL NOONER posted:

bullshit

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

EVIL NOONER posted:

:eyepop:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Have you any shame, sir?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
chins: not even once

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fakery.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Wait, is that really from the show? No way.

One thing that always bugged me about these restorations (and there was some spinoff show where they restored old machines and such, I forgot the name) is how they would restore something originally worth $100, charge $100 for the restoration, then claim that they could now sell the restored version for $1000. Wouldn't the restored version be worth $200, or close to it? I've never understood how a restored version of something could be worth much more than the sum of the original value plus the cost to restore it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

AutumnDDP posted:

One thing that always bugged me about these restorations (and there was some spinoff show where they restored old machines and such, I forgot the name) is how they would restore something originally worth $100, charge $100 for the restoration, then claim that they could now sell the restored version for $1000. Wouldn't the restored version be worth $200, or close to it? I've never understood how a restored version of something could be worth much more than the sum of the original value plus the cost to restore it.

yeah, why would they charge for their skills, knowledge, and tools? bunch of greedy pigs imo.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Rutibex posted:

why would anyone sell their poo poo to a pawn shop, when they can get what the pawn shop would charge for it by selling it on craigs list
Easier, I guess. The main purpose of pawn shops is to pawn poo poo tho, which never happens on Pawn Stars.

fuck the mods
Mar 30, 2015

AutumnDDP posted:

have you ever had more than $100 in your bank account? you sound like a poor

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

AutumnDDP posted:

If you gave a world class chef five dollars worth of ingredients, and he charged you five dollars for him to make it into a meal worth forty dollars, would that confuse you?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
WE HAVE TO HAVE THIS BIKE FINISHED BY THURSDAY!

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
^^^ No, because there is other overhead which leads to the increased price of that dish, such as being able to pay the other employees, renting the restaurant space, general upkeep of the restaurant, etc.

Let me put it this way: If you are looking to buy an antique item, and you know you can buy a beat up version and have it restored for much less than buying something that looks brand new, why not buy the beat up version? This is with the understanding that the restored version really is a restoration, and that it isn't the original item that happened to survive history with all original parts intact. The only explanation I can think of is that you don't have any good restoration companies near you, in which case it could be chalked up to a matter of inconvenience.

Maybe I'm just missing something obvious, I dunno

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
On second thought, let me call my buddy who is an expert in appraising my dumb questions and he can give you a quote

AutumnDDP fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 6, 2016

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

AutumnDDP posted:

^^^ No, because there is other overhead which leads to the increased price of that dish, such as being able to pay the other employees, renting the restaurant space, general upkeep of the restaurant, etc.

Let me put it this way: If you are looking to buy an antique item, and you know you can buy a beat up version and have it restored for much less than buying something that looks brand new, why not buy the beat up version? This is with the understanding that the restored version really is a restoration, and that it isn't the original item that happened to survive history with all original parts intact. The only explanation I can think of is that you don't have any good restoration companies near you, in which case it could be chalked up to a matter of inconvenience.

Maybe I'm just missing something obvious, I dunno
Inconvenience and the scarcity of both the antique and the skilled labor.

Especially with big poo poo like coke machines, it's pretty easy for the antiques to become perpetually unfinished projects that ugly up wherever they're at. There's not a ton of great restorers all over the place with lots of spare time, and you gotta research and set that up you gotta get the poo poo to them and back which is going to have its own expenses and opportunity costs and generally be a pain in the rear end.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Whatev posted:

Inconvenience and the scarcity of both the antique and the skilled labor.

Especially with big poo poo like coke machines, it's pretty easy for the antiques to become perpetually unfinished projects that ugly up wherever they're at. There's not a ton of great restorers all over the place with lots of spare time, and you gotta get the poo poo to them and back which is going to have its own expenses and opportunity costs and generally be a pain in the rear end.

That actually makes a ton of sense, thank you. The main thing I didn't think much about was skilled labor. There are probably a lot of places in the US where finding someone to restore some niche item is really difficult. Plus I guess you might have to wait a very long time for certain things to be restored versus having the new thing right away, not to mention extra shipping costs to get the item to them and back.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
The everyday comparison I should have made is buying a car with a hosed engine for $500, repairing it for another $500 , and then selling it for $4000. Given the choice between the $4000 working car and the $500 dollar dead car, most people will go with the former because "I don't have time for this fuckin poo poo" and they probably don't know how much it would cost to repair anyway that's how they fuckin get ya

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my initial example was admittedly pretty lovely.

I blame Chumlee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvu6APT3JLY

*haggles with a crackhead over the price of a vcr through a sheet of bulletproof glass*

• Locked thread