Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
You can read some here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12116/12116-h/12116-h.htm

Let's take a minute to image yourself as a child in mid 19th century Germany. What stories would your parents read to you to make you fall asleep? A story about a knight fighting dragons?

No. You would've been read stories about giant tailors chopping off your thumbs and getting blown away in a thunderstorm to never be seen again.

The origin of these stories is traced back to a man named Heinrich Hoffman. He wanted to buy his son a fairy tale book for Christmas, but could not find any he liked. So, Heinrich Hoffman made his own!

I wonder if Hitler was read any of these stories as a child...

Here's one most goons can identify with!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

drat that kid sure owned himself

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Goons can relate to the first 2 lines, beyond that this tale may as well be set on the far side of Jupiter.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Space Race Riot posted:

Goons can relate to the first 2 lines, beyond that this tale may as well be set on the far side of Jupiter.

Here is a good Germanic tale that may be more relatable to goons

quote:

Till Eulenspiegel and the Innkeeper at Cologne:

Eulenspiegel journeyed to Cologne, where he stayed at an inn for two or three days without letting anyone know who he was. During this time he noticed that the innkeeper was a rogue, and he thought, "The guests will not be well off where the innkeeper is a rogue. You should find another place to stay."

That evening he told the innkeeper that he would be looking for another place to stay. The latter showed the other guests to their beds, but not Eulenspiegel, who then said, "Sir, I paid just as much for my lodging as the others did, but you showed them to their beds. Am I supposed to sleep here on this bench?"

The innkeeper said, "Look! Here is a pair of sheets!" and he let a fart. Then he let another one and said, "Look! This is your pillow!" Then for a third time he let one, until it stank, and he said, "Look! Now you have an entire bed! Use them until morning, and then lay them in a pile for me, so I can find everything together!"

Eulenspiegel said nothing, but thought, "Look! Take note that one rogue deserves another rogue." And that night he slept on the bench.

Now the innkeeper had a nice folding table. Eulenspiegel opened up the leaves, poo poo a large pile on the table, and then closed it up again. He got up early in the morning, went to the innkeeper's room and said, "Sir, I thank you for the night's lodging." Then letting a large fart, he said, "Those are the feathers from your bed. I laid the pillow, the sheets, and the covers all together in a pile."

The innkeeper said, "Sir, that is good. I will look after them as soon as I get up."

Eulenspiegel said, "Do that! Just look around. You'll find them all right!" And with that he left the inn.

The innkeeper expected many guests for the noon meal, and he said that they should eat at the nice folding table. When he opened up the table, an evil stink flew up his nose. Seeing the dung, he said, "He gives what was earned. He paid for a fart with poo poo."

Then the innkeeper sent for Eulenspiegel, because he wanted to get to know him better. Eulenspiegel did indeed come back, and he and the innkeeper appreciated one another's tricks so much, that from this time forth Eulenspiegel got a good bed.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

It's about poo poo you see.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Now this I can relate to

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

this kid just doesn't ever look where he's walking

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Commie NedFlanders posted:

this kid just doesn't ever look where he's walking

poo poo this is like last_time_i_was_drunk.jpg aka about_10_minutes_and_a_change_of_clothes_ago.jog

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i love soup :yum:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Those cats shouldn't have burned that witch imo

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/gMkzLHwe4-c

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are there fairy tales where a character is Jewish? I read that Germans were obsessed with all things Jew in the late 1800s.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

EorayMel posted:

You can read some here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12116/12116-h/12116-h.htm

Let's take a minute to image yourself as a child in mid 19th century Germany. What stories would your parents read to you to make you fall asleep? A story about a knight fighting dragons?

No. You would've been read stories about giant tailors chopping off your thumbs and getting blown away in a thunderstorm to never be seen again.

The origin of these stories is traced back to a man named Heinrich Hoffman. He wanted to buy his son a fairy tale book for Christmas, but could not find any he liked. So, Heinrich Hoffman made his own!

I wonder if Hitler was read any of these stories as a child...

Here's one most goons can identify with!

#thinspirations

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013

qkkl posted:

Are there fairy tales where a character is Jewish? I read that Germans were obsessed with all things Jew in the late 1800s.

I remember reading a fairy tale about Abner, the Jew who did not see anything. Abner was going for a walk when he met the king's stablemaster, who asks him if he has seen a horse. Abner describes the horse, and the stablemaster confirms that this would be the horse he's looking for. However, Abner claims he didn't see the horse. Before he can say anything else, a scullery maid comes by and asks if he has seen the king's favourite dog. Abner accurately describes the dog, then claims he did not see it. He gets dragged before the king and is whipped and fined for making fun of the king's property, then explains he guessed how the dog and horse looked by looking at their tracks. He is released and once again goes for a walk. Yet again he meets the king's men who ask him if he has seen an escaped slave. He denies it, and they ask if he can read the tracks. He denies it again. The soldiers are angry now and demand he reads the tracks. In his fear he guesses a direction at random, which turns out to be wrong. The slave escapes and Abner is whipped and fined again.

Yeah. Not sure what this story was supposed to teach me.

My grandmother often read the Struwwelpeter stories to me. I remember having a fondness for Die Geschichte von den schwarzen Buben (the story of the black boy). Some white boys make fun of a black boy. Saint Nicholas doesn't like that and dunks them into his ink jar. Now everyone is black. The end.
I was easily entertained as a child.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Space Race Riot posted:

Pretty sure the story's about Augustus switching to a Soylent-only diet.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I like your summarizations.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

this owns that's why you don't play with lighters

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mosch posted:

I remember reading a fairy tale about Abner, the Jew who did not see anything. Abner was going for a walk when he met the king's stablemaster, who asks him if he has seen a horse. Abner describes the horse, and the stablemaster confirms that this would be the horse he's looking for. However, Abner claims he didn't see the horse. Before he can say anything else, a scullery maid comes by and asks if he has seen the king's favourite dog. Abner accurately describes the dog, then claims he did not see it. He gets dragged before the king and is whipped and fined for making fun of the king's property, then explains he guessed how the dog and horse looked by looking at their tracks. He is released and once again goes for a walk. Yet again he meets the king's men who ask him if he has seen an escaped slave. He denies it, and they ask if he can read the tracks. He denies it again. The soldiers are angry now and demand he reads the tracks. In his fear he guesses a direction at random, which turns out to be wrong. The slave escapes and Abner is whipped and fined again.

Yeah. Not sure what this story was supposed to teach me.

My grandmother often read the Struwwelpeter stories to me. I remember having a fondness for Die Geschichte von den schwarzen Buben (the story of the black boy). Some white boys make fun of a black boy. Saint Nicholas doesn't like that and dunks them into his ink jar. Now everyone is black. The end.

It teaches that jews will get punished for knowing things and they will get punished for not knowing things. Or, in other words, it's 18th century Germany so they're hosed regardless.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

qkkl posted:

Are there fairy tales where a character is Jewish?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I probably sucked on my thumb as long as I did just to defy this loving guy

"Hilf mir" by Rammstein is based on this and is a cool song if you like Rammstein, which you probably don't.

Schurik fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 6, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nickelodeon used to show cartoon adaptations of the Grimm stories back in the day as "Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics"

They were endlessly hosed up and not for kids at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k02CbQii9f8

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Schurik posted:

I probably sucked on my thumb as long as I did just to defy this loving guy

"Hilf mir" by Rammstein is based on this and is a cool song if you like Rammstein, which you probably don't.

Actually, it's how I heard about the story in the first place.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Read all of Grimm's fairy tales a while ago, and believe this to be the best one.

quote:

One time the little hen and the little rooster went to Nut Mountain, and they agreed that whoever would find a nut would share it with the other one. Now the little hen found a large, large nut, but -- wanting to eat the kernal by herself -- she said nothing about it. However, the kernal was so thick that she could not swallow it down. It got stuck in her throat, and fearing that she would choke to death, she cried out, "Little Rooster, I beg you to run as fast as you can to the well and get me some water, or else I'll choke to death."

The little rooster ran to the well as fast as he could, and said, "Well, give me some water, for the little hen is lying on Nut Mountain. She swallowed a large nut kernal and is about to choke to death on it."

The well answered, "First run to the bride, and get some red silk from her."

The little rooster ran to the bride: "Bride, give me some red silk, and I'll give the red silk to the well, and the well will give me some water, and I'll take the water to the little hen who is lying on Nut Mountain. She swallowed a large nut kernal and is about to choke to death on it."

The bride answered, "First run and get my wreath. It got caught on a willow branch."

So the little rooster ran to the willow and pulled the wreath from its branch and took it to the bride, and the bride gave him some red silk, which he took to the well, which gave him some water, and the little rooster took the water to the little hen, but when he arrived, she had already choked to death, and she lay there dead, and did not move at all.

The little rooster was so sad that he cried aloud, and all the animals came to mourn for the little hen. Six mice built a small carriage which was to carry the little hen to her grave. When the carriage was finished, they hitched themselves to it, and the little rooster drove. On the way they met the fox.

"Where are you going, little rooster?"

"I'm going to bury my little hen."

"May I ride along?"

"Yes, but you must sit at the rear, because my little horses don't like you too close to the front."

So he sat at the rear, and then the wolf, the bear, the elk, the lion, and all the animals in the forest. They rode on until they came to a brook. "How can we get across?" said the little rooster.

A straw was lying there next to the brook, and he said, "I'll lay myself across, and you can drive over me." But just as the six mice got onto the straw, it slipped into the water, and the six mice all fell in and drowned.

They did not know what to do, until a coal came and said, "I am large enough. I will lay myself across and you can drive over me." So the coal laid itself across the water, but unfortunately it touched the water, hissed, and went out; and it was dead.

A stone saw this happen, and wanting to help the little rooster, it laid itself across the water. The little rooster pulled the carriage himself. He nearly reached the other side with the dead little hen, but there were too many others seated on the back of the carriage, and the carriage rolled back, and they all fell into the water and drowned.

Now the little rooster was all alone with the dead little hen. He dug a grave for her and laid her inside. Then he made a mound on top, and sat on it, and grieved there so long that he too died. And then everyone was dead.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mosch posted:

Indeed!

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Ahh we had this exact book at my grandmothers house. She would read it for me and we looked at the picture.
I was dead scared of that scissor guy, it still gives me the creeps.
Yes my grandmom was German.

Edit: I got soooo mad at this Frederick guy

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"Don't be racist or some big guy will gently caress you up." A good moral.

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013

caps on caps on caps posted:

Ahh we had this exact book at my grandmothers house. She would read it for me and we looked at the picture.
I was dead scared of that scissor guy, it still gives me the creeps.
Yes my grandmom was German.

Edit: I got soooo mad at this Frederick guy

Frederick/Friedrich really sucks. The child that goes out with an umbrella during a storm gets carried off to god knows where with a questionable chance of survival, while Frederick, basically a total sociopath who kills animals for fun, has to take some medicine so the bite on his leg heals properly. Boo hoo, the dog he tormented bit him.

super sweet best pal posted:

"Don't be racist or some big guy will gently caress you up." A good moral.

It was always very confusing to me, because in German Nikolaus is not only the saint, but also somebody who brings sweets on december 6th, but also kind of Santa Clause sometimes maybe and in this story he's huge and I have no idea if it's always the same Nikolaus and where Knecht Ruprecht is.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Some of those early matches burned pretty violently and erratically.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Three-Phase posted:

Some of those early matches burned pretty violently and erratically.

It didn't help that 19th century clothing was made out of kerosene-soaked fibres too.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Infidel Castro posted:

It didn't help that 19th century clothing was made out of kerosene-soaked fibres too.

I read somewhere that in the 18th and 19th century there were many clothing dyes that were surpringly toxic.

One example was this green arsenic dye:
https://thepragmaticcostumer.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/drop-dead-gorgeous-a-tldr-tale-of-arsenic-in-victorian-life/

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh wait, those cats are crying. I thought those were napkins after they ate her cooked corpse.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Anyone have this one in English?

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anyone have this one in English?

It almost makes me cry to tell
What foolish Harriet befell.
Mamma and Nurse went out one day
And left her all alone at play.
Now, on the table close at hand,
A box of matches chanced to stand;
And kind Mamma and Nurse had told her,
That, if she touched them, they would scold her.
But Harriet said: "Oh, what a pity!
For, when they burn, it is so pretty;
They crackle so, and spit, and flame:
Mamma, too, often does the same."

The pussy-cats heard this,
And they began to hiss,
And stretch their claws,
And raise their paws;
"Me-ow," they said, "me-ow, me-o,
You'll burn to death, if you do so."

But Harriet would not take advice:
She lit a match, it was so nice!
It crackled so, it burned so clear—
Exactly like the picture here.
She jumped for joy and ran about
And was too pleased to put it out.

The Pussy-cats saw this
And said: "Oh, naughty, naughty Miss!"
And stretched their claws,
And raised their paws:
"'Tis very, very wrong, you know,
Me-ow, me-o, me-ow, me-o,
You will be burnt, if you do so."
The fire has caught her apron string And see! oh, what dreadful thing!
The fire has caught her apron-string;
Her apron burns, her arms, her hair—
She burns all over everywhere.

Then how the pussy-cats did mew—
What else, poor pussies, could they do?
They screamed for help, 'twas all in vain!
So then they said: "We'll scream again;
Make haste, make haste, me-ow, me-o,
She'll burn to death; we told her so."

So she was burnt, with all her clothes,
And arms, and hands, and eyes, and nose;
Till she had nothing more to lose
Except her little scarlet shoes;
And nothing else but these was found
Among her ashes on the ground.

And when the good cats sat beside
The smoking ashes, how they cried!
"Me-ow, me-oo, me-ow, me-oo,
What will Mamma and Nursey do?"
Their tears ran down their cheeks so fast,
They made a little pond at last.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

fognl posted:

Here is a good Germanic tale that may be more relatable to goons

This seems pretty right up the alley of most German folk lore. Struwwelpeter seems pretty immediately relatable for most goons, though:

quote:

One day, Mamma said, "Conrad dear,
I must go out and leave you here.
But mind now, Conrad, what I say,
Don't suck your thumb while I'm away.
The great tall tailor always comes
To little boys that suck their thumbs.
And ere they dream what he's about
He takes his great sharp scissors
And cuts their thumbs clean off, - and then
You know, they never grow again."

Mamma had scarcely turn'd her back,
The thumb was in, alack! alack!

The door flew open, in he ran,
The great, long, red-legged scissorman.
Oh! children, see! the tailor's come
And caught our little Suck-a-Thumb.

Snip! Snap! Snip! the scissors go;
And Conrad cries out - Oh! Oh! Oh!
Snip! Snap! Snip! They go so fast;
That both his thumbs are off at last.
Mamma comes home; there Conrad stands,
And looks quite sad, and shows his hands;-
"Ah!" said Mamma "I knew he'd come
To naughty little Suck-a-Thumb."

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i've been using the term Feuerzeug to refer to a lighter for a long time, how foolish do i look?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i've been using the term Feuerzeug to refer to a lighter for a long time, how foolish do i look?

You don't since that's the correct word to use.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

qkkl posted:

"Der Giftpilz" (The Poisonous Mushroom)

https://archive.org/stream/Hiemer-Ernst-Der-Giftpilz-Text/HiemerErnst-DerGiftpilz193847S.Text_djvu.txt

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

whoa i wanna know more about German and Jewish history in the 1800's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i'm not reading any of that trash im not even sure why I clicked this thread tbh well smell ya later!

• Locked thread